daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South Asia > Sri Lanka > Construction Projects

Construction Projects Updating construction projects be it proposed, u/c or completed

Old August 22nd, 2011, 10:21 PM   #41
acriyaz

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amal View Post

Awsome ... it has to be maintained properly thats all.
acriyaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 23rd, 2011, 08:12 PM   #42
Amal

Likes (Received): 255

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Amal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2011, 01:39 PM   #43
Amal

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old October 8th, 2011, 08:22 AM   #44
Amal

photo: mikals, flickr

Old October 11th, 2011, 03:25 PM   #45
Amal

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old October 24th, 2011, 10:48 AM   #46
Shakeel

Likes (Received): 31

Has this bldg been officially handed over or still in performing the final touches.
Shakeel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2011, 10:53 AM   #47
balthazar
User

Likes (Received): 1494

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amal View Post
A National Treasure

]
nice!
Old October 24th, 2011, 10:57 AM   #48
Shakeel

Nice isn't good enuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by balthazar View Post
nice!
..we need performances and ppl coming out with a smile and cars packed in like students in the morning school assembly..
Old October 24th, 2011, 11:33 AM   #49
sjinadasa
SL

Likes (Received): 13

Its not opened yet
sjinadasa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2011, 12:28 AM   #50
Shakeel

Its obvious Jinadasa but don't u get the picture as to why the delay.
Old October 26th, 2011, 06:30 PM   #51
soncen

Likes (Received): 734

Interesting building...
Old December 13th, 2011, 05:57 PM   #52
TallBox

Likes (Received): 66

Heard they are renaming the Albert Crescent to something like Lotus Pond Mahinda Rajapakse Road (or something).

Gotta laugh at petty nationalists who complain about British colonialism - well we're just replacing British colonialism with Chinese colonialism.

(That's not to say I don't like the modernity of the National Performing Arts theatre - just the way we have to raze over our history to get there).
TallBox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 08:44 PM   #53
Praetorian

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBox View Post
Heard they are renaming the Albert Crescent to something like Lotus Pond Mahinda Rajapakse Road (or something).

Gotta laugh at petty nationalists who complain about British colonialism - well we're just replacing British colonialism with Chinese colonialism.

(That's not to say I don't like the modernity of the National Performing Arts theatre - just the way we have to raze over our history to get there).
And I laugh at people who are still afflicted with mental enslavement and produce such ridiculous comments.

It is however good to know the Chinese are oppressing us with violence and brutality, destroying our millennia old irrigation networks to make our people starve, turning paddy fields into swamps, putting “taxes” on things which never belonged to them, destroying 2,000 year old universities and educational establishments to create an illiterate population who do not know their true history properly and are robbed of their sense of aspiration, entrepreneurship and independence ensuring the rise of a slave class. That on top of altering population rations, carrying out inhuman violence, ethnic cleasnings, impoverishing people, running an apartheid state, inflicted superiority complexes on various groups/communities so we war with each other ensuring that British rule is not questioned and our people continue to live in utter destitution while they can keep pillaging the country to fill their coffers in Whitehall without much worry.

British must be proud that the slaves they seed are still devout to them. No wonder they were so successful.

Chinese “colonialism” Vs British/European barbarity. Wonder which people wallowing in poverty in the 3rd world thanks to Europeans would want to take?

It is thanks to “petty” nationalism the unique identities and cultures of the Asia (not just in Sri Lanka) still exist in some form. But I guess you’d prefer it if SL went the Philippines route, after all "albert" is so part of "our history". What a shame to lose this "history" (who's exactly i don't know).
Praetorian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2011, 10:52 PM   #54
mrpanini

Likes (Received): 186

mrpanini no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 11:06 AM   #55
lordvader

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praetorian View Post
And I laugh at people who are still afflicted with mental enslavement and produce such ridiculous comments.

It is however good to know the Chinese are oppressing us with violence and brutality, destroying our millennia old irrigation networks to make our people starve, turning paddy fields into swamps, putting “taxes” on things which never belonged to them, destroying 2,000 year old universities and educational establishments to create an illiterate population who do not know their true history properly and are robbed of their sense of aspiration, entrepreneurship and independence ensuring the rise of a slave class. That on top of altering population rations, carrying out inhuman violence, ethnic cleasnings, impoverishing people, running an apartheid state, inflicted superiority complexes on various groups/communities so we war with each other ensuring that British rule is not questioned and our people continue to live in utter destitution while they can keep pillaging the country to fill their coffers in Whitehall without much worry.

British must be proud that the slaves they seed are still devout to them. No wonder they were so successful.

Chinese “colonialism” Vs British/European barbarity. Wonder which people wallowing in poverty in the 3rd world thanks to Europeans would want to take?

It is thanks to “petty” nationalism the unique identities and cultures of the Asia (not just in Sri Lanka) still exist in some form. But I guess you’d prefer it if SL went the Philippines route, after all "albert" is so part of "our history". What a shame to lose this "history" (who's exactly i don't know).
I think the main point is that they may rename it after MR (if Tallbox's comment is accurate). Not sure why everything is named after him TBH.
lordvader no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 02:02 PM   #56
sjinadasa
SL

Likes (Received): 13

They are naming the theater after MR too. Its a bit too much.
sjinadasa está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2011, 02:03 PM   #57
TallBox

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praetorian View Post

Your overall argument is evidentiary of a typical post-colonialist small-island mentality blaming current ills on exaggerated revisionist history – oh but hey, as long as anti-colonialism is the current fashion and people talk themselves into believing that colonialism was entirely defined by rape and murder, then what’s one more white lie to gloss over the facts, right? I mean, no one’s going to believe any different, right? ‘Mental enslavement’ is a bit of irony for you to use; pot-kettle-black. You seem so eager to get one over the Europeans you’d turn in the history of your own country (oh, only those elements which have some faux Sanskrit connotation or a ‘Raja’ in) that you claim to feel so much affinity to. If you think I’m trying to do the same, then perhaps we’re not so different.

In any other scenario I’d be laughing at you when the day came that China demands Sri Lanka to make good on its debts (financial and otherwise) – but then the country will be lamenting your ilk for singularly driving us down this trap (not that you would realise the error of your ways, still muttering rambling about those ‘bloody Brits/Europeans’). So much for being a ‘nationalist’, Praetorian – you’re doing a good job.

Thankfully, there are enlightened people in Sri Lanka like Indrani Sugathadasa who recently resigned from the SEC to uphold the principles of sustainable growth (and a basic economic understanding of capital-debt ratios), who can see the way the tide is going with respect to short-termist practices – people who see development but also think ‘at what cost?’. For the more enlightened forumers, being a patriot I am pleased to see Sri Lanka reap the benefits of development; but my main interest is that development comes sustainably, not through intellectual laziness or cheap gimmicks. Sustainable development requires self introspection, from the understanding of history (the bad and the good, the indigenous and the imposed) – otherwise we’re just cementing a road down the path of vacuous development, we’ll be nothing more than another tourist strip of cheap bars, hotel resorts and neon lights straddling the Indian Ocean.
TallBox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2011, 01:18 AM   #58
Amal

http://www.lotuspond.lk/

Old December 15th, 2011, 01:41 AM   #59
Praetorian

Quote:
Your overall argument is evidentiary of a typical post-colonialist small-island mentality blaming current ills on exaggerated revisionist history – oh but hey, as long as anti-colonialism is the current fashion and people talk themselves into believing that colonialism was entirely defined by rape and murder, then what’s one more white lie to gloss over the facts, right? I mean, no one’s going to believe any different, right? ‘Mental enslavement’ is a bit of irony for you to use; pot-kettle-black. You seem so eager to get one over the Europeans you’d turn in the history of your own country (oh, only those elements which have some faux Sanskrit connotation or a ‘Raja’ in) that you claim to feel so much affinity to. If you think I’m trying to do the same, then perhaps we’re not so different.

In any other scenario I’d be laughing at you when the day came that China demands Sri Lanka to make good on its debts (financial and otherwise) – but then the country will be lamenting your ilk for singularly driving us down this trap (not that you would realise the error of your ways, still muttering rambling about those ‘bloody Brits/Europeans’). So much for being a ‘nationalist’, Praetorian – you’re doing a good job.

Thankfully, there are enlightened people in Sri Lanka like Indrani Sugathadasa who recently resigned from the SEC to uphold the principles of sustainable growth (and a basic economic understanding of capital-debt ratios), who can see the way the tide is going with respect to short-termist practices – people who see development but also think ‘at what cost?’. For the more enlightened forumers, being a patriot I am pleased to see Sri Lanka reap the benefits of development; but my main interest is that development comes sustainably, not through intellectual laziness or cheap gimmicks. Sustainable development requires self introspection, from the understanding of history (the bad and the good, the indigenous and the imposed) – otherwise we’re just cementing a road down the path of vacuous development, we’ll be nothing more than another tourist strip of cheap bars, hotel resorts and neon lights straddling the Indian Ocean.

Oh yes oppression at the hands of Europeans was such a great thing! We must thank them for “civilising” us, otherwise where would we be? Now isn’t it intriguing that it is the same story of brutality and inhumanity carried out by Europeans that is told by the inhabitants (those who survived) of location after location once occupied? The only “revising” of history has been by them to varnish up their vicious crimes and portray themselves as “good guys”.

Your very response is the embodiment of mental enslavement and is overall not surprising to see considering you are person who is begging for “approval” from the West as evident from this line of thought:

Quote:
Do you think a full disclosure of the Govt's conduct during Eelam IV will result in greater Western confidence in the ability of the Govt to sustainably develop the country?
Typical sentiment from a person who does not have a clue of history or of the workings of the world in general but one programmed to know nothing but sycophancy to one time oppressors. History begins in 1505 for some, no doubt our “golden era”. After all we do need their “confidence”, “confidence” of people who do not even live in Sri Lanka, to develop the country and move on post war.

Like I said this is why Europeans were so successful, they ensured they created classes of devout subjects who for decades upon decades would defend them and promote them as the “better” and the “good”.

And you honestly believe the debt we will be owing China will be any different to the debts we owe the West? What makes you believe their loans schemes (so called “aid”) do not have identical economic pitfalls/debt traps also inbuilt to them?

Last edited by Praetorian; December 17th, 2011 at 05:47 AM.
Old December 15th, 2011, 01:44 AM   #60
Praetorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
I think the main point is that they may rename it after MR (if Tallbox's comment is accurate). Not sure why everything is named after him TBH.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjinadasa View Post
They are naming the theater after MR too. Its a bit too much.
Oh i agree, naming things after Rajapakse is just ridiculous, seeing his mug shot everywhere is also something i can't stand –couldn’t help but snicker at Namal “complain” over all the attention his family is given in State media when you know who controls that.

I was amazed the Southern Expressway was not named after him (thank goodness for that). Even the Galle cricket stadium pavilion is named after him

However Tallbox's problem is more about the "loss of history" because this area/road/whatever will no longer be known as "albert crescent". My heart bleeds over this "loss".

Then there is his intriguing comparison of Chinese "colonialism" with British barbarity (hope those two b's being together doesn't upset him again). A comparison which is just as ridiculous as everything being named after Mahinda.

I personally would love places to be named after our fallen soldiers.