daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 16th, 2010, 08:23 PM   #41
CaptainJason

Likes (Received): 0

Any renders of what its meant to look like?

http://smithdown.myminicity.com/
CaptainJason no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old April 16th, 2010, 08:45 PM   #42
Dreamer
Let the Jam decide

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggedboy View Post
Private flats, with retail below.
Interesting, from what Ive seen all the walls are timber, not very good if theres a fire or sex session next door
Old August 4th, 2011, 09:16 AM   #43
Howie_P

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Liverpool orphanage in £13m bid to build ‘boutique’ city student flats
by Marc Waddington, Liverpool Daily Post
Aug 4 2011

MORE than £13m could be spent turning a former Liverpool orphanage into what the developers say would be the student accommodation equivalent of the city’s leading boutique hotels.

The scheme would see the former children’s home behind the Philharmonic Hall revamped to cater predominantly for the overseas postgraduate student market.

The project is the brainchild of Liverpool Edge Ltd, whose directors are Hope Street Hotel owner David Brewitt and business partner Alan Beer.

They expect the development to create around 150 jobs.

Through their company, Urban Sleep, the pair already provide high-end student accommodation on the corner of Myrtle Street and Chatham Street.

With the anticipated rise in the number of foreign students attending universities in the city, the market for quality accommodation is expected to grow.

The University of Liverpool is currently building a 700-bed block for foreign students on its city centre campus and Mr Brewitt and Mr Beer are hoping to have their own project completed in time for the intake of students in September, 2012.

As well as 88 units of one, two and three-bedroom flats – which they say will be in the mould of boutique hotels like the Hope Street Hotel – the development is seeking permission for bars, restaurants and a cafe.

While objections have been received from the Caledonia pub, on the corner of Catharine Street, and the Victorian Society, the developers said they were confident some of the issues could be resolved.

The bid to bring the Grade II-listed orphanage back into use has won the support of English Heritage, as long as concerns about the retention of internal features and building materials are allayed.
Continues >>
Howie_P no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 08:30 PM   #44
AnonyMiss

Given the make-up of this forum i'll be a lone voice but I dislike recent planned developments and hope it doesn't turn into a giant student zone.
AnonyMiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 10:32 PM   #45
buggedboy

Likes (Received): 798

I agree insofar that I'd prefer more than just the hotel/student developments that are flooding the market, but that's the nature of development I suppose. The market for residential is simply not there at the moment.

Architecturally I quite like this development. It's a decent size, renovates the older building and provides lots of active frontages.
buggedboy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2011, 12:03 PM   #46
Howie_P

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Boutique student flats plan stalled by tree fears
by Marc Waddington, Liverpool Daily Post
Aug 10 2011

A NEW £13m plan to turn a city centre Grade II-listed orphanage into luxury student accommodation has been put on hold in a row over the protection of trees on the site.

Proposals had been drawn up for 81 apartments housing up to 224 students to be built in and around the long-shut Liverpool Orphans’ Asylum, on Myrtle Street.

Developers Liverpool Edge, owned by Hope Street hotel boss David Brewitt and city timber magnate Alan Beer, promised boutique -style accommodation. But planning officer Peter Jones told the meeting of the council’s planning committee yesterday that “it was fair to say that there are a number of outstanding concerns with this proposal”.

The impasse related to the plane trees which line Myrtle Street. Council woodland and tree manager Peter Howsen said if the plan went ahead, the trees would require excess pruning, which would lead to their eventual deaths. Committee chairman Cllr John Mackintosh called for a site visit on August 23.
Source: Liverpool Daily Post
Howie_P no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2011, 11:01 PM   #47
tommygunn

Liverpool all over that isnt it.
tommygunn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2011, 10:36 AM   #48
buggedboy

Likes (Received): 798

This will get through in the end. If a development fails because of some trees, we might as well put the "closed for business" signs up.
buggedboy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 02:23 PM   #49
General Zod returns

Likes (Received): 94

'The new block on the former Mythos village. '

Do you mean that crappy Greek restaurant a stones throw from the Philharmonic? If so then good. It was a cack hole.
General Zod returns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 10:05 PM   #50
tommygunn

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggedboy View Post
This will get through in the end. If a development fails because of some trees, we might as well put the "closed for business" signs up.
Better had or the old husky chainsaw is comeing out.
tommygunn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2012, 11:13 PM   #51
aeolian

Likes (Received): 308

The is a new restaurant and retail taking shape on the corner of Catherine and myrtle street, the former ritz rink. This is opposite the new cafe Nero. Hopefully it's home grown and not a chain. The success of hope st is starting to spread out.
aeolian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2012, 06:01 PM   #52
openlyJane
Human Being

Likes (Received): 11705

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeolian View Post
The is a new restaurant and retail taking shape on the corner of Catherine and myrtle street, the former ritz rink. This is opposite the new cafe Nero. Hopefully it's home grown and not a chain. The success of hope st is starting to spread out.
I've heard that it could well be a Sainsbury's - which would make more sense than the talk of it being a furniture shop ( which I've also heard).

It's a really nice building when you take the time to look at it.

Also a new Gregg's Bakery next to to the new Cafe Nero opposite - as well as a Co-op food store.
openlyJane está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2013, 04:25 PM   #53
openlyJane
Human Being

The building with the scaffolding ( and I'm assuming the one to the right?, although that looks quite decrepit in comparison) is to become student apartments:

Old April 22nd, 2013, 05:24 PM   #54
PeterStoba

Likes (Received): 554

Terrible buildings to be used for student accommodation. My mate lives over the road and it's just a shocking layout. These should be used as houses or offices.

aeolian liked this post
PeterStoba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2013, 09:07 PM   #55
Scarecrow
Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Likes (Received): 1040

With a bar/club next door? Student digs seems appropriate to me.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 09:38 PM   #56
openlyJane
Human Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterStoba View Post
Terrible buildings to be used for student accommodation. My mate lives over the road and it's just a shocking layout. These should be used as houses or offices.
Student accommodation these days is often quite smart - it's not all dinge and dirt anymore; especially with the increase in foreign students.

It looks like it has had quite a bit of money spent on it. But I do agree that there should be more of a thought out plan for areas where student accommodation should be sited; and where not.
Old April 25th, 2013, 10:38 PM   #57
shamus

Likes (Received): 142

Caledonia pub is closing ....been sold ....rumour is that it will be student accommodation..the real worry is that there is rumour that it could be demolished .....not sure it's listed .....the way this council operate is that if it's not listed its open season .....even if it is in a conservation area.....anyone else getting worried about the explosion in student accommodation.? At first thought great way of reusing and saving our historic buildings....see Church of Scotland in Rodney street...but now we have threat to Cali pub, historic warehouse in Bridgewater Street going and one of my favourite buildings in London Road next on the firing line.
shamus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2013, 12:47 AM   #58
aeolian

Likes (Received): 308

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus View Post
Caledonia pub is closing ....been sold ....rumour is that it will be student accommodation..the real worry is that there is rumour that it could be demolished .....not sure it's listed .....the way this council operate is that if it's not listed its open season .....even if it is in a conservation area.....anyone else getting worried about the explosion in student accommodation.? At first thought great way of reusing and saving our historic buildings....see Church of Scotland in Rodney street...but now we have threat to Cali pub, historic warehouse in Bridgewater Street going and one of my favourite buildings in London Road next on the firing line.
I replied to this news in the Official Liverpool Thread. There is a 6 year lease on the caledonia that the brewery own. Liverpool City Council own the Freehold. The sale to Ascot Property Group isn't shown in the Land Registry yet, but this may not be filed. Have LCC renewed the lease for Ascot? Is it Listed? I don't think they have planning for this yet. I would see any change of use as "detrimental to the conservation area". Any planning application should be firmly opposed.
aeolian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2013, 08:57 AM   #59
Inigo

Likes (Received): 85

[QUOTE=aeolian;102658343] Is it Listed? QUOTE]

According to the Council website, it isn't listed. It is within the conservation area but, as has been pointed out elsewhere, this seems to count for little. If the title register hasn't been changed and the rumours are correct it's likely that either the sale hasn't gone through yet or the council have told the landlady that her lease won't be renewed and the plan is to sell of a new lease to developers in 2019. Either way if the buildings meet the criteria I imagine there’s enough time to get them listed.
Inigo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2013, 10:46 AM   #60
Inigo

Likes (Received): 85

It sounds like the pub company sold its lease.

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/...9623-33240024/
Inigo no está en línea   Reply With Quote