daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 10th, 2010, 05:28 PM   #21
ainttelling
BANNED

Likes (Received): 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
Lol, this picture needs a caption.
ainttelling no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 10th, 2010, 05:39 PM   #22
Scba

Likes (Received): 1420

I don't really count ancient ruins as architecture for many of these.
Scba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 06:47 PM   #23
Cyrus
Persian King of Kings

Likes (Received): 1883

As I said that is Heracles, laying naked on the skin of the Nemean lion that he killed in his 12 labours, holding a bowl, under the shadow of an Olive tree. His traditional wood bludgeon and elbow lay near him. Behind him there is a tablet in Old Greek scripture in seven lines which resembles that of Greek temples, on the tablet it is written:

Year 164, month Panemos, Herakles Glorious in Victory Hyakinthos, son of Pantauchos (dedicated) for (ie in honour of) the safety of of Kleomenes, 'viceroy' of the Upper Satrapies.

All Empires For History Lovers!
Founder and Administrator
Cyrus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 06:48 PM   #24
krkseg1ops

Likes (Received): 1152

The most diverse please gotta be Las Vegas! They have pyramids, skyscrapers, pirate huts, they even have half of Venice's street!
krkseg1ops está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 06:53 PM   #25
ainttelling
BANNED

Likes (Received): 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by krkseg1ops View Post
The most diverse please gotta be Las Vegas! They have pyramids, skyscrapers, pirate huts, they even have half of Venice's street!
Las Vegas? I don't know about that - they tend to focus on European-style architecture, for some reason.
ainttelling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 04:52 AM   #26
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

Berlin in Europe, hands down!
Nearly no other city changed so much, made so much through, was torn between different cultures and rose up again...
Styles you find clashing right next to each other:
Greek, Roman and Babylonian (reconstructed structures)
Romanic
Gothic
Renaissance
Baroque
Neoclassic
Historism
Jugendstil
Art Deco
Bauhaus
fascist style
communistic style
Stalinist architecture
todays architecture
there are mosques and Chinese gardens...
Ugly is right next to amazingly beautiful, run down and rotten right next to super posh, royal and imperial victory monuments, facing Soviet memorials, bulletholes in hundreds of years old stone, shiny glass facades and perfectly reconstructed baroque palaces!

Last edited by Tiaren; April 11th, 2010 at 05:09 AM.
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 07:23 PM   #27
weava
Arch(Struct) Engineer

Likes (Received): 1962

Chicago has a lot of styles.
weava no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 08:16 PM   #28
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 893

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainttelling View Post
^
What the **** is your problem? Cities were mentioned and this is my contribution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buho View Post
Iran is really diverse. London, Paris, Melbourne or Brussels....... lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by buho View Post
In Spain as it is between Africa and Europe, there is a lot of diverity too, and several particular styles you can only find in Spain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by guille_89uy View Post
Spain (actually, Iberia)... no doubt.
What a surprise. Spaniards think Spain is the most diverse region
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 08:35 PM   #29
Mekky II
BANNED

Likes (Received): 16

As a city : Istanbul
As region : Anatolia... reuniting european, african, middle-eastern, south, central and north asian influences. When you watch Çatal Höyük site, you immediatelly understand. Anatolia is pretty centered around oldest known established human groups, in balkans, ukraine, caucasus, iran, irak, egypt... it's natural so to find since milleniums influences.
Mekky II no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 09:00 PM   #30
guille_89uy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Spain is the only region of Europe with african and islamic architecture... and European architecture in itself is enought diverse: Spain is a reference in Barroque, Modernism and Modern Architecture.

You are talking about diversity, aren't you?
guille_89uy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 09:38 PM   #31
buho

Likes (Received): 19170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bricks View Post
What a surprise. Spaniards think Spain is the most diverse region
Demagogic post. I talked about Italy, Iran and Spain.
Another examples given here like Berlin doesn't contribute more than most european cities in diversity. Babylonian structures? Yeah, of course, brought from Irak and put into a museum Same with Las Vegas, it's just a tematic park.

Anatolia is yes a diverse region, but islamic art is very homogeneus and there are not several styles in the modern age as european art with renaissance, baroque, manierism, etc.
buho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 10:20 PM   #32
Nolke
Registered duster

Likes (Received): 2765

We seem to have a confusion here between abundance of "architectural styles" and "ORIGINAL architectural styles". Also between well consolidated-popular styles and incidental examples of exotic architecture.

Considering only original and well-consolidated styles of architecture (and also pondering the quality of the buildings for every style), I go for the Mediterranean-Middle East region in general, but I must recognize that my knowledge about Asian architecture further east than Iran is very limited.
Nolke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 04:23 PM   #33
cardiff

Likes (Received): 5845

Quote:
Spain is the only region of Europe with african and islamic architecture... and European architecture in itself is enought diverse: Spain is a reference in Barroque, Modernism and Modern Architecture.

You are talking about diversity, aren't you?
The Uk has variations on Islamic architecture in alot of buildings (not religious ones), i think you will find alot of European countries are very similar in their architecture which often came in trends and fashions.
cardiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 05:03 PM   #34
buho

Likes (Received): 19170

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiff View Post
The Uk has variations on Islamic architecture in alot of buildings (not religious ones), i think you will find alot of European countries are very similar in their architecture which often came in trends and fashions.
Historical buildings? In a 20th or 21st century building of course you can find anything.
buho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 05:44 PM   #35
Viva_Bulgaria
Proud to be a Bulgarian

Likes (Received): 3852

I think it is Spain, at least in Europe. In the Americas it would be Mexico.

In my opinion we should consider only historical buildings, otherwise, the largest modern countries would obviously have the most "diverse" architecture. For example we cannot consider a building of Byzantine style from the 19th-20th century as in that category but only the relevant styles of the age in question.
Viva_Bulgaria no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 08:15 PM   #36
cardiff

Likes (Received): 5845

While i dont want to say Spain isnt the most diverse, just simply saying it has African buildings doesnt make it more diverse than a country such as Greece because it has Classical historic buildings, or the Norway because it has nordic style buildings etc. I think its a very silly thing to say one country is more diveres in architecture, but it easy to say in your experiance which city is more diverse.
cardiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2010, 09:52 PM   #37
Botswana

Likes (Received): 30

I love those pictures from Algeria. Libya also has quite a range of architecture.

Lebanon as well.
Botswana no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 12:14 AM   #38
guille_89uy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiff View Post
While i dont want to say Spain isnt the most diverse, just simply saying it has African buildings doesnt make it more diverse than a country such as Greece because it has Classical historic buildings, or the Norway because it has nordic style buildings etc. I think its a very silly thing to say one country is more diveres in architecture, but it easy to say in your experiance which city is more diverse.

Spain has a lot of classic architecture, from Rome.
guille_89uy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 12:43 AM   #39
Nolke
Registered duster

Likes (Received): 2765

Anyway Spain doesn't have a lot of African architecture since most of the influence of islamic architecture isn't originally African. Spain is a very diverse country in matter of architecture because: it has original classic remains, just like the rest of the Mediterranean region and unlike Northern Europe; it has a lot of islamic architecture, which also influenced a lot of later styles, what basically means the introduction of Persian and Byzantine practices at a scale never seen in Europe, at least the Persian ones; in the north of the country (and to a lesser extent, also in the south) medieval "French" styles are just as common as in the rest of western Europe; it's one of the top countries in renaissance and baroque architecture; as something more marginal, but nevertheless interesting, there's a notable presence of Germanic motifs in the pre-romanesque architecture and of native American influence in the southern baroque; and at last, Spain has a lot of local reinterpretations of the different external influences it received, hence it has its own peculiar forms for high gothic ("wide"-Catalan gothic in the crown of Aragon), flamboyant gothic (isabelline gothic in the Crown of Castile), early renaissance (plateresque), mannerism (herrerism, look for these styles in the English wikipedia if you don't know them, they're all there) pre-romanesque (Asturian architecture), lots of different kinds of mixing with Islamic styles (mudejar), and even a very peculiar interpretation of Art-Nouveau with Gaudi and the Catalan modernisme. It's just an example, I don't really pretend to point out that Spain is undoubtly the most diverse country in the whole world in terms of architecture, in fact I don't mean to say it's even clearly more diverse than say Italy or Turkey, but I really think that, as far as the Western hemisphere goes, architecture prior to the first notable globalization (i.e. industrial era, even if the first signs of globalization in architecture happened during baroque), and that just means traditional architecture, is clearly much more diverse in the Mediterranean area and the Middle East than in other places, like the rest of Europe, because the different clashes of civilizations basically happened there.
Nolke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 12:51 AM   #40
Federicoft

Likes (Received): 4343

Quote:
Spain is the only region of Europe with african and islamic architecture...
Sicily has them too.

San Giovanni degli Eremiti church, Palermo

Zisa Castle, Palermo as well
Federicoft no está en línea   Reply With Quote