daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 10th, 2010, 05:10 AM   #1
Giri

Likes (Received): 37

Giri's trip in northern France : Picardy & Nord (Winter 2010)

Life is complex. You just have to know that I had to accompany a good friend of mine in order to repatriate a cat that belonged to his ex-gf. I would never have visited Picardy in winter if it had not been for this specific occasion. 3 days without hot water in a little Picard village surrounded by strange and archetypal Ch'ti people. I was alcoholized for most of my stay.

Let's begin with our neverending trip on French highways from Bordeaux to Amiens ... We left Bordeaux in the morning and we only got to Amiens in the late afternoon (around 5pm) as that damn cat had decided to defecate in the car North of Paris. I'll add some more kilometres around Valenciennes in that first post.

image hosted on flickr

Leaving Bordeaux on Pont d'Aquitaine :

image hosted on flickr

Reaching Charente-Maritime (good bye southern France ) : the vast plain from Saintes to the Ural mountains begins.

image hosted on flickr

In the distance is Saintes :

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Ahhh Poitou. Its marshes. Its flat landscapes. Poitou was my definition for boredom before visiting Picardy.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

North of Poitiers, slate roofs appear : that's the true France. Then the weather got disastrous as we went through central France.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Near Orléans :

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

It was very cold : it had snowed in the morning, the temperature was about 1°C.

image hosted on flickr

And then Paris emerged. I wonder which feeling most foreigners get when reaching Paris. My feelings are always that it's where Jean-Marie Poiré's movies were shot. Bypassing Paris in the East :

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Towards Lille ! The northern front, let's beat those Germans with our proud taxis.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

After hours of highway, time to enter that zoo named reality.

image hosted on flickr

Cuvilly in Oise (modern Picardy) : the truth is that this area belonged to Île-de-France.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

We're entering true Picardy when entering the Somme département !

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Beuvraignes : the TGV was made so that people crossing Picardy could leave more quickly.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Roye : there are people living here.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

On the road to Amiens.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

We eventually got to Amiens where we met a good friend of us who happened to visit the town. The weather was really bad. A nice coffee. We reached the little village - where my friend's mother lives - where we would sleep under a heavy snow. No pics as they're all blurry.

The following day, when getting awake :

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

My friend insisted on visiting paved roads used for the Paris-Roubaix cycling race. I wanted to visit Arras or Lille, I'll see paved roads ... Brel came to my mind.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Carnoy :

image hosted on flickr

A strange phenomenon : it seems that light does travel as far north as northern France.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Highway ! Civilization at last !

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Entering Nord-Pas-de-Calais. So this region exists after all. I believed that it was just mediatic hype. If you're interested in the names of the following villages, just tell me.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Cambrai's "skyline" :

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Leaving the highway is heart-breaking. Belgium was awaiting me. But those damn paved roads were our main priority.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

My friend wanted to surprise me. "You love History, don't you ? Well, you'll love to know that this is where Germinal was shot !". Err ... "Why don't you take pics, aren't you fascinated ?"

Arenberg (one of France's southernmost Dutch toponyms ?)

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Terrils are northern France's mountains.

image hosted on flickr

I had never seen such a strange weather in my life : a very low sky and no luminosity and yet it was not raining. Quite frankly, it's just impossible to take pretty pics under these atmospheric conditions. We had to come back to the little village not far from Amiens in order to visit a military museum managed by my friend's uncle (the man spent his whole money in military objects from both world wars for 40 years, while living in a caravan). But Douai has to be bypassed if we want to come back to Picardy.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Next : we'll visit Amiens and surrounding areas.

Highway89 liked this post
Giri no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 10th, 2010, 05:39 AM   #2
kingsway

Likes (Received): 12

a nice tour in that region of France.
kingsway no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 06:58 AM   #3
kaul

Likes (Received): 3

i love the french countryside, so beautiful!
kaul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 11:08 AM   #4
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 244642

Awesome photo-tour from Picardie and Nord areas of France
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 04:34 AM   #5
edubejar

Likes (Received): 30

Funny. Typical impression of a person from southern France going to the very north of France. A kinda like the brick and Belgian look typical of the houses and even churches in Nord-Pas-de-Calais and Picardie regions. The "North" is different.
edubejar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 06:50 AM   #6
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Quote:
image hosted on flickr
This looks like it could have been taken in the North of England.

I guess 'the North' is always different wherever you are
Old April 11th, 2010, 08:32 AM   #7
Rinchinlhumbe
CANNED

Likes (Received): 201

nice roadmovie
Rinchinlhumbe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 08:29 PM   #8
edubejar

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
This looks like it could have been taken in the North of England.

I guess 'the North' is always different wherever you are
Yes, the North end is often more extreme in how it can look different than the South end of a country (at least France, Spain and Italy). It seems that in those countries the south transitions more gradually with the center while the look from the center to the north changes more rapidly.

Those churches taken in Nord and Picardie also look like they can be in England to me. They look so different from what you would find in the rest of France, including Paris which is already quite northern.
Old April 12th, 2010, 02:28 AM   #9
Giri

It cannot be doubted that there's a striking "civilizational" border some 50km North of Paris. There, France is being "diluted" into northern Europe (not that much with England which still shares much with Atlantic France at least when comparing rural Normandy with "Ye Olde England"). You never get such a feeling when going to Normandy or Champagne which are quintessential French regions. Despite being a northern town by geography, Paris belongs to the great central French cultural sphere : from Poitou to Picardy. When coming from northern France, as soon as you reach the Oise river, a great sense of "French" familiarity emerges.

This is no coincidence that Dutch irredentist claims on France do more or less match such feelings.

Linguistics is helpful as well : the Picard linguistic domain defines a coherent cultural area.

Old April 12th, 2010, 04:29 AM   #10
edubejar

Note to others who may not know: Rijsel is the Dutch or at least the Flemish word for Lille. So Lille and all of it's region + northern Picardie share certain heritage and history with Dutch and Flemish/Belgian cities as that map suggests. If I'm not mistaken, the whole area in GREEN is France (at the very north end, near the Belgian border)
Old April 12th, 2010, 04:41 AM   #11
Giri

Indeed, that green part is the whole modern "Nord-Pas de Calais" region which is more or less 4 former historical provinces lumped together : French Flanders around Lille (Rijsel in Dutch), Artois around Arras (Atrecht in Dutch), Cambraisis around Cambrai (Kamerijk in Dutch) and Boulonnais around Boulogne (Bonen in Dutch), the latest being the maritime part of Picardie and where most Dutch toponyms can be found (despite Romance languages being spoken locally for centuries).

The Seventeen Provinces materialized that cultural unity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seventeen_Provinces
Old April 12th, 2010, 04:47 AM   #12
edubejar

Anyone who knows France well (and some French people do not) knows this is so "North" looking!
image hosted on flickr
Old April 14th, 2010, 10:56 AM   #13
Federicoft

Likes (Received): 4380

Very nice tour and pics, and welcome back.
Your feelings visiting Northern France are somewhat similar to the feelings a Central Italian can have visiting Northern Italy. You have my heartfelt understanding and compassion.
Federicoft no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 07:37 PM   #14
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20305

Lol, I see you really fell in love with ch'tiland!

I remember from driving through France that on the motorway somewhere around halfway down (charente-maritime?) there is a great big sign at the side of the motorway saying something like "bienvenue aux autoroutes du sud de la France"

Are the motorways managed by different departments in the two halves of the country or is it just to reassure fearful southerners like giri that they are back in familiar territory?
Jonesy55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 11:59 PM   #15
[email protected]

Likes (Received): 62

Nice shots despite the weather. I wonder how low clouds can be considered strange weather though.

French motorways are managed by different companies. ASF is one of them.

Here is a map :
http://www.developpement-durable.gou...le021327-1.jpg
M@rtoc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 04:47 PM   #16
Avientu

Likes (Received): 39

Any country of a certain size has these differences, plus if you add a different climate it's even more apparent. What I don't get is why it has such a bad reputation within France? It doesn't look so bad to me, plus I love that nothern feel you get in those places and everything that involves: rain, fog, gritty industrial areas, mild summers, lush green countryside all year round...
I´m originally from a mining area in northern Spain so all this looks more than familiar to me

Avientu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2010, 03:41 PM   #17
Giri

The next day, my hosts insisted on touring British cemeteries in the region. I fear that when you've seen one, you've seen them all.

image hosted on flickr

"La Boisselle". This is here the Battle of the Somme was played. I can't help thinking that the French were lucky bastards : Verdun is a much better scenery.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

From "La Boisselle", one can guess the town of Albert (formerly Ancre). The weather then decided that it had not shown me its greatest powers.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The British memorial in Thiepval :

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

This monument possesses some "grandeur" but it's actually awfully cheap. I presume that the panorama must be great under good climatic conditions.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Let's visit Albert. It's an archetypal northern French town. Red bricks and Art-Nouveau rule.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Inside the Basilica Notre-Dame de Brébières :

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Let's head to Amiens, Picardy's capital. One has to go through the Picard plateau. It was snowy just two days ago (february 2010).

Bécordel-Bécourt :

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Ribemont-sur-Ancre :

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Heilly :

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

And then Amiens appears. The two main attractions are instantly visible : the Cathedral on the right, the Perret Tower on the left. I can't help thinking that somehow, the Perret Tower is a better marvel than the Cathedral. With Perret, France really renewed horizontal architecture : it should have been the main source for subsequent "towerblocks", France would now be a neo-neo-gothic pseudo NY paradise.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Entering Amiens.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Let's begin our tour of the town in Place Saint-Michel.

image hosted on flickr

Is there a town in France where Victor Hugo is not a street name ? Homogenization of placenames in France is a XIXth century disease.

image hosted on flickr

"Dieu le veut".

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Place de la Cathédrale : there used to be a parking lot. New buildings were erected on the right.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

In France, cathedrals close at 5PM. If you want to pray, think about it before it's too late. Hence no pics from the interior.

image hosted on flickr

Rue Dusevel connects the Cathedral with the main street : Rue des Trois Caillous.

image hosted on flickr

Rue des Trois Caillous :

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The Perret Tower cannot be visited anymore. What a pity.

image hosted on flickr

Place René Goblet :

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

T'Chiot is a Picard word meaning "little one". "Ha ben ouais mi t'chiot".

image hosted on flickr

Rue des Trois Cailloux ends as we reach the railstation. The former mayor lost the elections because of that metallic veranda. Quite frankly, I like it, it's a bit surreal.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

I was invited to share a meal at my friend's sister's. Ponche. I got a tiny success thanks to my impressions of SW French peasants. The next day, it was time to say goodbye to Picardy and Fricourt. I won't miss cold showers.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The mighty A1 towards Paris.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Pleyel Tower in Saint-Denis, in the suburbs of Paris :

image hosted on flickr

The whole capital was obstructed. I had a fantastic idea : let's take good old national roads, west of Paris ! We got lost in the surroundings of Versailles for 2 hours.

image hosted on flickr

Bougival :

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Funnily enough, when in Paris, I feel in France. A curious feeling indeed. Those buildings are so familiar. This is periurban life that television has been forcing upon us for decades. RER railstations, brown and pointed tile roofs, ochre complexion, villages ending in -y, ...

Yet, rural Yvelines is a maze for newcomers. Around Rennemoulin.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Towards Rambouillet :

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Mareil-le-Guyon : Île-de-France as it used to be.

image hosted on flickr

I had another terrific idea. Actually, I had to : my friend was infuriated after 2 hours' time in Paris' suburbs. He's quite bad at geography and he was persuaded that we were already South of Orléans. We were in Rambouillet ... As a consequence, I made him take the road to Chartres so that we avoid roadsigns guiding us to Orléans. For my friend, Le Mans, Nantes, ... were appeasing. He should have a look at a map of France.

Rambouillet :

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Since we really did not aim at visiting Brittany, we had to take national roads. The most boring thing ever. More than 2 hours' driving in rural Beauce (former province of Orléanais) and Touraine, France's main agricultural areas before reaching Tours and the Loire river.

Vitray-en-Beauce :

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Bonneval :

image hosted on flickr

Around Châteaudun (Eure-et-Loir) :

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Jallans :

image hosted on flickr

Châteaudun :

image hosted on flickr

Indre-et-Loire more or less matches the former province of Touraine.

image hosted on flickr

Vendôme :

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Ambloy :

image hosted on flickr

Tours !

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

After Touraine is Poitou, a transitional area between northern and southern France. Châtellerault :

image hosted on flickr

Poitiers :

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The main square in Vivonne (Poitou) :

image hosted on flickr

The road to Angoulême :

image hosted on flickr

South of Angoulême, begins the South.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Pinetrees appear around Barbezieux (Charente) :

image hosted on flickr

End of the tour.

Last edited by Giri; May 14th, 2010 at 03:52 PM.
Giri no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2010, 03:58 PM   #18
Plaas
MP

Likes (Received): 2425

Nice series The North looks very Belgian indeed. Many Dutchmen say that Belgian looks "French", by the way, I guess they think the countryside and houses in the North are typical French then
Old March 20th, 2013, 04:38 PM   #19
Nijal

Likes (Received): 1248

Nices pics and colours! I like the commentaries also.

yabbes liked this post
Nijal no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2013, 05:05 PM   #20
yabbes
~~~

Likes (Received): 5941

Me too, me too. I'm sad this is an old thread you brought up here Nijal, so I cannot hope for more pics??? Some of the pics from Amiens are actually pretty neat, I guess even a Southern Frenchie has to acknowledge that and the weather seemed to have been bad in Bordeaux already :P But it what a nice road story to read hehe...
I like the look of the brick houses in Northern France, because I like this kind of architecture.