daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 12th, 2013, 10:37 PM   #541
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highcliff View Post
may I make an off topic comment?
there is a burger king in shenzhen....
No offense, but Burger King is just about everywhere... and I don't know if that's a reason to celebrate
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 12th, 2013, 11:40 PM   #542
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
No offense, but Burger King is just about everywhere... and I don't know if that's a reason to celebrate
From my personal observation BK is somewhat less popular in Shenzhen and elsewhere in China where I've been (Guangzhou and Shanghai). KFC and McD, on the other hand, are almost literally everywhere. I've got an impression that Chinese really love KFC. I don't know why but even I started eating KFC while in China despite normally never doing that anywhere else. Then again, in most other countries you won't get chicken fried rice in KFC (same applies to McD).
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 12:19 AM   #543
Silly_Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
From my personal observation BK is somewhat less popular in Shenzhen and elsewhere in China where I've been (Guangzhou and Shanghai). KFC and McD, on the other hand, are almost literally everywhere. I've got an impression that Chinese really love KFC. I don't know why but even I started eating KFC while in China despite normally never doing that anywhere else. Then again, in most other countries you won't get chicken fried rice in KFC (same applies to McD).
lol I had the same experience almost to the letter... but the cheer on a sighting of a 'rare' Burger King in Shenzhen?

Now, if it were an In-N-Out Burger, that would be a whole other story

FM 2258 liked this post
Old August 13th, 2013, 05:26 AM   #544
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6840

Quote:
Pansori your observation is very true. KFC is the most successful US fast food chain in China. The key point is that they introduced various local food into their menu. They even created a pure Chinese fast food chain called East Dawning (ED) to compete with the local chains. Recently they acquired a local Chinese hot-pot restauran chain Little Sheep. Currently Yum group (including KFC/Pizza Hut/ED/Little sheep brands) has almost 5000 stores in Chna and they target 8000 stores in 5 years.

Sorry for the off-topic post.
Old August 13th, 2013, 08:06 AM   #545
Silly_Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-dog View Post
Pansori your observation is very true. KFC is the most successful US fast food chain in China. The key point is that they introduced various local food into their menu. They even created a pure Chinese fast food chain called East Dawning (ED) to compete with the local chains. Recently they acquired a local Chinese hot-pot restauran chain Little Sheep. Currently Yum group (including KFC/Pizza Hut/ED/Little sheep brands) has almost 5000 stores in Chna and they target 8000 stores in 5 years.

Sorry for the off-topic post.
Sorry for some more off-topic, but do you know anything about Mr. Lee/PC Lee? I saw that fast food chain a lot, and it seemed to be very Chinese. Whenever I ordered there people were very surprised.
Old August 13th, 2013, 08:26 AM   #546
big-dog

Are you talking about the beef noodle fast food chain? It used to be popular but not much as now. Kunfu (真功夫) and Yonghe (永和大王) can be seen almost everywhere now. Yonghe is my favorite Chinese fast food/snack brand.
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 09:48 AM   #547
_Night City Dream_

Likes (Received): 101793

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
Still, if I'm right, in Hanzghou there is only one Burger King. Sorry for off-topic.

My Baku / Мой Баку / 我的巴库

_Night City Dream_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 10:09 AM   #548
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Some stupid on topic questions:

Which fast food brands in Shenzhen are conveniently packed so that they can be consumed aboard metro trains without spilling food?

Where are waste bins on Shenzhen metro trains? Are they convenient to access?

Are the bins suitably large and emptied often enough, or do they fill up promptly so they are useless most time?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 10:19 AM   #549
big-dog

Finnaly it's back to topic If I remember correctly eating is not allowed on Shenzhen metro though I don't know if it's enforced or not.
big-dog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2013, 01:43 PM   #550
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-dog View Post
Finnaly it's back to topic If I remember correctly eating is not allowed on Shenzhen metro though I don't know if it's enforced or not.
I know I'm probably not an expert here but I have never seen anyone eating on a metro in Shenzhen (or Guangzhou for that matter). I think those station guards may be watching that. I think it's a good idea not to allow eating onboard. You just DON'T want someone eating in a packed train during rush hour.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2013, 07:25 AM   #551
DoubleU

Likes (Received): 413

Quote:
I know I'm probably not an expert here but I have never seen anyone eating on a metro in Shenzhen (or Guangzhou for that matter). I think those station guards may be watching that. I think it's a good idea not to allow eating onboard. You just DON'T want someone eating in a packed train during rush hour.
Yeah, it's forbidden to eat and drink on the metro train. There are also no litter bins on the train, only on platforms. I was even stopped and forced by an employee to finish my beer before boarding. But this was on the Line 4 which is operated by the Hong Kong MTR. There are also some other things forbidden these days, mostly to keep stations, platforms and trains clean. Otherwise you would see people with live stock or anything else on the train.
About Burger King in Shenzhen/China. If I am correct, besides being the first city in China where a McDonald's opened, Shenzhen was the first city with a BK. Now they seems to be "everywhere". I know of at least 5 BK's in town. Sure, much less than KFC and McD, and they are also don't promote their delivery service (coz they have non?!) nor being open 24/7.

Some related news about the public transportation in SZ:

Pingshan tram

PINGSHAN will start building its new 18.2-kilometer tram line in June 2014 that will link Yonghu Metro Station on Line 14 with Xincheng Railway Station.
The tram line will have 21 stations, including three interchange stations with Metro Lines 3 and 14, as well as a high-speed train station. It will take about 30 minutes to go from one end of the line to the other, according to a report by the Pingshan New Area Government.

Source: http://szdaily.sznews.com/html/2013-...nt_2585167.htm
DoubleU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2013, 08:31 AM   #552
DoubleU

Likes (Received): 413

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeror View Post
I wonder how many lanes were there before the construction started. The road looks so wide!!
Two lanes in each direction! The scale of construction, especially underground, is massive. Before the metro Phase 2 was opened there was only Huaqiang Lu metro station, the busiest station in SZ with around 60,000 passengers a day. Now, there are 3 stations of three different lines directly at HuaQiangBei Rd. and another one a bit towards east. After Phase 3 will be completed there will be even more metro stations serving the area. I once read that there are currently 200,000 people a day going around at HuaQiangBei and doing their business and shopping.
DoubleU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2013, 03:20 AM   #553
Silly_Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleU View Post
PINGSHAN will start building its new 18.2-kilometer tram line[...] It will take about 30 minutes to go from one end of the line to the other
An average of 36 km/h? That's metro speed territory. Can 'about 30 minutes' also be 39 minutes?
Old August 17th, 2013, 11:32 AM   #554
Puppetgeneral

Likes (Received): 422

How many lines are uc and proposed
Puppetgeneral no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2013, 02:01 PM   #555
bearb

Likes (Received): 617

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post

I'm curious, why would it take 45 minutes to go from Luohu to Meisha? I thought maglev would be much faster for 30 km.
it is a midium-low speed maglev.
bearb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2013, 02:03 PM   #556
bearb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleU View Post
I also don't understand why they have this ongoing discussion about wether to use maglev or wheel-rail trains. If the maglev plan will be built they definitely have to start with an underground terminus in Wenjin because it is in a very dense urban part in Luohu. Plus, I don't see the advantage of building an elevated line to Xiaomeisha as there are a lot of mountains, so at the end they also need to built some tunnels to go through and Xiaomeisha has, as well as Dameisha, pretty limited space above ground. Furthermore they should consider the maintenance costs of a maglev fleet (is it higher/lower?), that you can't use those cars on other lines and vice versa and of course the aesthetic impact on the shoreline of an elevated line.
What happened to the plans to extend the whole line to Dapeng? There are every week some articles on the local newspaper that they gonna restrict the cars to this areas on holidays and during weekends. An extension could greatly relieve the car traffic. It took us last time 5 hours to Nan'ao from Coco Park by car.
once the line is selected to use maglev, it will be totally above ground. even in Luohu. That's why it won't be going to Guomao anymore and only stops in Wenjin.
Old August 17th, 2013, 02:10 PM   #557
bearb

Quote:
I'd like to make a little observation about the metro in Shenzhen which also applies to Guangzhou. I did exactly the same observation in Shanghai last year.

It's about the 'delay' between the carriage doors have closed and the train starting to move. I know this is a little 'nerdy' even for SSC but I just don't understand why after the train and the platform screen doors have shut and all the visual and sound indicators have switched off the train does not start to move for another 8-9 seconds (it may range from ~7 to ~12 seconds but 8 seconds would probably happen in 80% of cases).

I used the following lines in SZ metro
- Luobao
- Shekou
- Longhua

And lines 1,2 and 5 in Guangzhou. Exact same thing.

A 7-9 second delay at every station after all doors are closed. Maybe I'm getting crazy and obsessed but it kinda drives me nuts. And once you have, say, 10 stations to go, it's almost one minute lost (in comparison to other sytems, not in total). Sounds not much but if you ad it all up. Especially when there seems no any explanation behind it.

I did similar observation in Hong Kong and Bangkok where I am right now. In both cases the delay after shutting the doors and train moving is 3-4 seconds. In Singapore and all metro systems in Europe that I have used also have similar delays or even less. So roughtly 4 seconds difference from systems that use similar rolling stock and, I assume, similar technology. I just can't understand why on earth are they wasting time in such a way and why metros in China (at least Shenzhen, Shanghai and Guangzhou) need those extra 4 seconds in every station before moving?

Why is that? Is there one specific reason? Because I'm sure there must be one.
in Shenzhen, the driver has to get off the train and observe the loading situation on platform. and the driver will on board again after the doors are clear and start to move on.

Pansori, Highcliff liked this post
Old August 17th, 2013, 02:17 PM   #558
bearb

Quote:
But why? Why do drivers in Hong Kong don't need to do checks on the screens or gestures and board the train while similar train and system in Shenzhen (which is actually newer and should be more technologically advanced) requires that?

I'm not saying they don't need to double check the screens but we are comparing other systems which use similar standards and rolling stock and yet they start moving quicker after doors are closed. Why?
i think it is just different way of management. in china, they think they will do it well with monitoring everything. and they think a number of people are less educated so they treat everyone as an uneducated person to avoid any problem may occur when boarding, such as rushing into the doors while they are closing. there was an accident happened in Shanghai which was caused by rushing into doors. A person was kept between the car doors and platform screen doors, the driver didn't notice and the train moved......

in HK, they tend to use machine more than people as their labour cost is high. in China, they tend to use people more than machine as people are cheaper.
Old August 17th, 2013, 02:19 PM   #559
bearb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppetgeneral View Post
Could Shenzhen beat Guangzhou in most lines and better system? Or Guangzhou would still be better
Guangzhou is way larger than Shenzhen (3 Guangzhous = 1 Shenzhen)
So Shenzhen will not beat Guangzhou in neither the number of lines nor total length. Shenzhen will be Guangzhou in the ratio of coverage
Old August 17th, 2013, 02:22 PM   #560
bearb

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Night City Dream_ View Post
I totally agree with Pansori. And then, I would add quite a great time of dwell BEFORE the doors open, not only after. In Hong Kong that doesn't exist yet the trains are much much longer.

I don't know for sure but it seems to me the button of opening/closing the doors is AT the station, and not in the driver's cab.
i think they driver may have a remote control =P

Tags
guangdong