daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old October 31st, 2017, 10:55 AM   #961
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,929
Likes (Received): 18195

沒影 by Tony, on Flickr
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

dimlys1994, Zaz965 liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 10th, 2017, 10:23 AM   #962
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,929
Likes (Received): 18195

Shenzhen set to have world's first all-electric public bus fleet
Massive subsidies helped catalyse the shift from diesel in the pollution-choked southern Chinese city
South China Morning Post Excerpt
November 10, 2017

A cloud of diesel fumes envelops us as a bus pulls away from a stop on Dongzong Road, in Shenzhen’s Pingshan district. Nothing unusual about that, you may think – we are in one of the most polluted countries in the world, after all – but we are unlucky enough to be standing behind one of very few buses in the city that still run on diesel.

More than 14,000 electric buses ply the roads of Shenzhen and the several hundred remain*ing diesels are due to be phased out by the end of 2017. This puts Shenzhen ahead of not only Beijing, Hangzhou and Nanjing, but also Paris, Oslo and London, and will earn the city the dis*tinc*tion of becoming the first in the world to have an all-electric public bus fleet.

Although China is not alone in embracing electric vehicles in pursuit of a cleaner urban environment – France and Britain will end sales of petrol and diesel cars from 2040 and Norway has set its target at 2025 – the country’s need is seen as all the more urgent because it has the world’s deadliest air pollution, according to the World Health Organisation, and is the largest emitter of greenhouse gases.

Vehicles in China emitted 44.7 million tonnes of pollu*tants in 2016, according to the Ministry of Environmental Protection, and going electric is seen as a fix. The power needed to drive an electric vehicle must still be generated, of course, but one major advantage of moving pollution from the exhaust pipe to the power plant is that it takes pollutants farther away from the general population, lowering the adverse health effects. Concentrated emissions are also easier to manage.

BYD – the letters stand for “build your dreams” – manu*factured 80 per cent of the electric buses in use in Shenzhen, the remainder having been built by other Chinese companies. On the streets of Pingshan, the suburb where BYD is head*quartered, the bikes and cycle rickshaws running alongside the company’s gleaming electric buses make for a curious sight. Once aboard, a conductor takes our coins and hands us paper tickets, which only adds to the feeling of temporal dislocation.

More : http://www.scmp.com/magazines/post-m...lectric-public
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

Swede liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2017, 04:10 PM   #963
Pansori
planquadrat
 
Pansori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: London - Vilnius
Posts: 9,973
Likes (Received): 6911

'pollution-choked southern Chinese city'

Isn't Shenzhen one of the cleanest big cities in China in terms of air pollution?
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2017, 04:25 PM   #964
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,929
Likes (Received): 18195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
'pollution-choked southern Chinese city'

Isn't Shenzhen one of the cleanest big cities in China in terms of air pollution?
Chinese cities are dirty by international standards, even if some are "cleaner" relative to other Chinese cities.
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2017, 08:16 PM   #965
erkantang
Registered User
 
erkantang's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 712
Likes (Received): 186

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Chinese cities are dirty by international standards, even if some are "cleaner" relative to other Chinese cities.


I disagree. Some cities have cleaner streets and better roads than a lot of western cities
__________________

VECTROTALENZIS, aquaticko liked this post
erkantang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2017, 10:18 PM   #966
Pansori
planquadrat
 
Pansori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: London - Vilnius
Posts: 9,973
Likes (Received): 6911

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkantang View Post
I disagree. Some cities have cleaner streets and better roads than a lot of western cities
I think we mean air pollution here. Map: http://aqicn.org/map/world/

Either way the sub-title 'pollution-choked southern Chinese city' is misleading given that Shenzhen is already one of the least polluted cities in China where heavy polluting industries gradually moved away, public transport (metro in particular) has been expanding at breakneck pace and there is more greenery than in perhaps any other city in the world. Scmp loves sensationalist titles when it comes to the Mainland issues.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2017, 10:19 PM   #967
saiho
Registered User
 
saiho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: 多伦多/多倫多
Posts: 1,360
Likes (Received): 1296

East and Southeast Asian cities get pretty bad too with smog. Of course if your "international standards" is the western developed world, then sure. However, I would would hardly call that international (you know... it excludes most of the world).
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2017, 01:39 AM   #968
Silly_Walks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,978
Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiho View Post
East and Southeast Asian cities get pretty bad too with smog. Of course if your "international standards" is the western developed world, then sure. However, I would would hardly call that international (you know... it excludes most of the world).
Your lungs care what country you are in?

If air is bad for your health, it's bad for your health, no matter what country it is in.
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2017, 04:31 AM   #969
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,929
Likes (Received): 18195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
I think we mean air pollution here. Map: http://aqicn.org/map/world/

Either way the sub-title 'pollution-choked southern Chinese city' is misleading given that Shenzhen is already one of the least polluted cities in China where heavy polluting industries gradually moved away, public transport (metro in particular) has been expanding at breakneck pace and there is more greenery than in perhaps any other city in the world. Scmp loves sensationalist titles when it comes to the Mainland issues.
Air pollution from vehicles and urban activities are a major contributor to smog, while industrial smog can blow over from hundreds of km away through prevailing winds.

A few years ago, even sandstorms from the Gobi/Inner Mongolia made it to southern China. So to think that moving the factories out of Guangdong will solve the air pollution problem in the region is a bit simplistic.

The air quality readings show the air quality is still worse than Chinese standards (PM 2.5 standard of 35 micrograms/cubic m). SCMP is bang on the ball for this one.
__________________

C-Money liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2017, 02:17 PM   #970
Pansori
planquadrat
 
Pansori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: London - Vilnius
Posts: 9,973
Likes (Received): 6911

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Air pollution from vehicles and urban activities are a major contributor to smog, while industrial smog can blow over from hundreds of km away through prevailing winds.

A few years ago, even sandstorms from the Gobi/Inner Mongolia made it to southern China. So to think that moving the factories out of Guangdong will solve the air pollution problem in the region is a bit simplistic.

The air quality readings show the air quality is still worse than Chinese standards (PM 2.5 standard of 35 micrograms/cubic m). SCMP is bang on the ball for this one.
You didn't read everything I wrote in my previous post did you?
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2017, 06:34 PM   #971
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,929
Likes (Received): 18195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
You didn't read everything I wrote in my previous post did you?
One of the least polluted cities in China does not mean it is clean. So the title was not misleading. Your logic is flawed.
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2017, 11:00 PM   #972
Pansori
planquadrat
 
Pansori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: London - Vilnius
Posts: 9,973
Likes (Received): 6911

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
One of the least polluted cities in China does not mean it is clean. So the title was not misleading. Your logic is flawed.
I'm well aware that English is not your native tongue but you should be able to read and understand my posts on SSC nonetheless.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2017, 11:46 PM   #973
NCT
Not Cwite There
 
NCT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Shanghai, London, Nottingham
Posts: 6,211
Likes (Received): 1777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
I'm well aware that English is not your native tongue but you should be able to read and understand my posts on SSC nonetheless.
No need to be patronising.

The sub-title may have a sensationalist undertone, but since it's not a comparative statement there's nothing in it that can be accused of being non-factual.
__________________
My Shanghai photos - Nanjing Road, People's Square, The Bund, Xintiandi and more!
NCT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2017, 01:41 AM   #974
Pansori
planquadrat
 
Pansori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: London - Vilnius
Posts: 9,973
Likes (Received): 6911

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCT View Post
The sub-title may have a sensationalist undertone, but since it's not a comparative statement there's nothing in it that can be accused of being non-factual.
That's right. Only that it's misleading, superficial and completely unnecessary.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2017, 10:17 AM   #975
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,929
Likes (Received): 18195

If anyone follows Shenzhen's AQI readings regularly, they will quickly realize they rarely dip to meet or exceed Chinese or international WHO standards, so it is factually correct to say pollution is a major problem. Pollution-choked is a correct tone. China still has a long way to go beyond moving factories, building greenbelts, and improving public transit to improve its air. I don't think SCMP is off the ball on this one. Being one of the cleanest in China, where urban air quality is quite bad all along the coastal areas, means little in the grand scheme of things. I don't think anyone would think the best piece of trash in a dump to be "clean".

This isn't a language understanding issue, but one of knowing China's environmental circumstances plus a bit of common sense. After all, knowing English does not equal knowing science and reality.

I challenge anyone who thinks the title is wrong to present factual evidence to show Shenzhen's air quality is great and hence is not pollution-choked.
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2017, 01:52 PM   #976
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,929
Likes (Received): 18195

Self-driving electric buses shipped to SZ
November 13, 2017
Xinhua Excerpt

THE first two of a new model of self-driving city buses, the first to be solely electric-powered, have been shipped to Shenzhen to be tested on the road after finishing initial testing at a factory in Wuhan, central China’s Hubei Province.

The 6.7-meter-long buses were jointly developed by Hubei-based automaker Dongfeng Xiangyang Touring Car Co. Ltd. and Beijing Institute of Technology.

The buses are expected to be put into use, in as yet unconfirmed areas, at the end of November, according to the Hubei Provincial Economy and Information Technology Commission.

The buses can carry 25 passengers and run at a maximum speed of 40 kilometers per hour. They have the ability to switch between manual driver operation and self-driving.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

Norge78, dimlys1994 liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2017, 10:01 AM   #977
skyridgeline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,524
Likes (Received): 1214

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
If anyone follows Shenzhen's AQI readings regularly, they will quickly realize they rarely dip to meet or exceed Chinese or international WHO standards, so it is factually correct to say pollution is a major problem. Pollution-choked is a correct tone. China still has a long way to go beyond moving factories, building greenbelts, and improving public transit to improve its air. I don't think SCMP is off the ball on this one. Being one of the cleanest in China, where urban air quality is quite bad all along the coastal areas, means little in the grand scheme of things. I don't think anyone would think the best piece of trash in a dump to be "clean".

This isn't a language understanding issue, but one of knowing China's environmental circumstances plus a bit of common sense. After all, knowing English does not equal knowing science and reality.



I challenge anyone who thinks the title is wrong to present factual evidence to show Shenzhen's air quality is great and hence is not pollution-choked.
Figuratively, but comparatively, much less deadly. I think there are less diesel by-products in China especially in Shenzhen now..

"It is interesting that the annual mean concentrations in the Chinese cities were relatively higher than all other studies, but the magnitude of pooled ER [exess risks] of all natural mortalitities for these six Chinese cities [PRD] was only a half of that in the American region. ...
Our findings suggest that there is a need for further study to assess the effects of longer-term exposure on the short-term mortality risks. In addition, difference in climate, population structures, gene susceptibility, health status, occupational exposures, long-term exposure history and composition in PM2.5 may play a role in explaining the potential differences in short-term effects by region. ...
"

- http://pubs.rsc.org/en/Content/Artic.../EM/c3em00357d (First published on 5th November 2013)
__________________

Norge78 liked this post
skyridgeline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2017, 04:08 PM   #978
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,929
Likes (Received): 18195

Keep in mind China's industrialization is quite recent, with Shenzhen only created as a SEZ in the 1980s. There is not enough time to provide meaningful data to decipher the long-term effects of exposure unlike in the US or in the West, where their industrialization happened far earlier.
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2017, 04:09 PM   #979
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,929
Likes (Received): 18195

Monorail to be put into use next year
Nov 15, 2017
Shenzhen Daily Excerpt

THE much-anticipated monorail in Pingshan District will be put into use next year, while the municipal government has also approved the construction of Metro Lines 14 and 16, according to Tao Yongxin, head of the Pingshan District Government.

Tao gave an interview last week where he answered a few netizens’ questions regarding some of the latest updates to the district’s plans.

The public transportation plan was one of the most concerning questions raised by netizens. Tao replied that the district has been working closely with relevant departments to enhance the public transportation system in Pingshan and hopes to bring convenience to residents living in the district.

It has been approved that the construction of Metro Lines 14 and 16 will start next year. Metro Line 14 will connect Pingshan to downtown Shenzhen and Line 16 will link Pingshan with Longgang District and have 11 Metro stations.

Also, Pingshan District hopes that the to-be-built Metro Line 21 will be extended to the high-tech industrial park in Pingshan. Metro Line 19 is also expected to pass through Pingshan, said Tao.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

Norge78 liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2017, 01:21 AM   #980
saiho
Registered User
 
saiho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: 多伦多/多倫多
Posts: 1,360
Likes (Received): 1296

Line 10 construction sites Donggualing, Lianhuacun and Gangxia North Stations in the first pic; Gangxia Station in the last two pics.

By coattail of Gaoloumi

Scroll >>>>>>>>




__________________
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
guangdong

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium