daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old December 15th, 2004, 04:21 AM   #121
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

Great post TUP!

See? People do read them

btw - you should all be watcing UIC-Duke on espn2 right now! Go Flames!!!
geoff_diamond no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old December 16th, 2004, 12:21 AM   #122
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

New shit

High-rise hotels in view for Wacker Dr. parcels

December 15, 2004

BY DAVID ROEDER SUN-TIMES COLUMNIST

Developers of the Lakeshore East site north of Millennium Park are mapping their next moves in the marketplace, apparently believing that a new round of hotel expansion is straight ahead.

Joel Carlins, president of Magellan Development Group Ltd., said he's talking to operators of five-star hotels overseas who want to come to Chicago. Carlins, who controls most of Lakeshore East with architect James Loewenberg, said vacant parcels along Wacker Drive next to the Swissotel could accommodate a couple new towers with hotel space. He said several operators are intrigued by the "condo hotel'' concept of individually owned rooms that's gaining traction in Chicago.

Carlins wouldn't detail the companies he's talking to. One obvious candidate would be the Mandarin Oriental chain, which was thwarted by the post-9/11 travel slump in its plans to come to the Near North Side. A Wacker Drive site would be better for the convention trade.

Two residential high-rises are at or near completion in Lakeshore East and two more will start in the next few months. Meanwhile, sources said Carlins and partners are the top bidder for two parcels within the site being sold by Archstone-Smith Trust. The 2.4 acres north of the Blue Cross-Blue Shield building are zoned for up to 1,500 housing units
The Urban Politician no está en línea  
Old December 16th, 2004, 12:37 AM   #123
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_diamond
Great post TUP!

See? People do read them

geoff, my alma mater...yours?
edsg25 no está en línea  
Old December 16th, 2004, 06:37 AM   #124
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

UIC/Syracuse/FAU/MIT/UM yada yada yada

but, most importantly, UIC
Old December 16th, 2004, 07:11 AM   #125
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 887

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25
I had no idea that there was an original facade...so, you're right. that had to be an improvement.

I hope that the same (original facade) isn't true for a neighbor of Spertus...and I'm talking about the ugliest bldg down the entire streetwall, that being Johnson Publishing.

Well buildings like the Ebony/Jet Building, The Essex Inn were built in the 1950's. So the facade that you see for those are what's always been there.
BVictor1 no está en línea  
Old December 16th, 2004, 01:51 PM   #126
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

I don't ******* understand how I possibly missed posting this.

INSIDE COMMERCIAL REAL ESTATE

THOMAS A. CORFMAN
Published December 15, 2004

Condos top Crain's: Crain's Chicago Business may be getting some new upstairs neighbors at 360 N. Michigan Ave.

The landlord, New York real estate investor Joseph Chetrit, has hired architect Lucien Lagrange to draw up plans for a gradual condominium conversion of the riverfront building, sources said.

Also under consideration is a condominium tower of more than 35 stories on an adjacent parking lot on Wacker Drive.

The historic structure was renamed for Crain Communications Inc. after the publisher leased six lower floors of the 21-story tower in 2000.

Lagrange, whose restoration projects include the 175 W. Jackson Blvd. office building, could not be reached for comment.

And if you don't know exactly where this is, the Crains Communication Building (Former London Gaurentee & Accident) is on the southwest corner of Michigan and Wacker, the vacant lot is to the right. In between this building and Mather Tower, which has had problems with falling terra-cotta several times.
Old December 16th, 2004, 07:07 PM   #127
The Urban Politician
The City

^Not clear. What exactly is this tower? And I still don't recall the vacant lot you're talking about.

Is this some sort of new construction that completely flew under the radar?

I'm shocked
Old December 16th, 2004, 07:17 PM   #128
lazar22b

Likes (Received): 0

It looks like it is. It looks like the lot should be on the corner of Michigan and Wacker, but I can't picture any empty lot there.
lazar22b no está en línea  
Old December 16th, 2004, 07:48 PM   #129
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Think of the block of Wacker between Michigan and Wabash. The Mather Building is the building that they restored the crown 2 years ago when they flew it by helecopter to the top. There is a narrow parking lot there.
Old December 16th, 2004, 09:50 PM   #130
The Urban Politician
The City

Damn! I can't believe nothing was ever announced about ut. Sounds exciting. I wonder who the developer/architect will be. I think 35 stories is actually appropriate for the location.

I heard Morton's is creating a new steakhouse around there, with a lunch and cocktail menu and bar. If this new highrise also has some ground-level activity, we could be talking about a whole new entertainment district to link N. Michigan Ave and River North to the loop!
Old December 16th, 2004, 11:21 PM   #131
Kevin J

The parking lot is very small, so this 35-story condo tower is going to be very much a "sliver" building, probably limited to one unit per floor, with windows in only the front and rear. The view from the front will be the Wrigley Bldg. and Trump Tower.

The new Morton's is on Wacker Place, which is one block south of Wacker Drive. Morton's is mid-block between Michigan and Wabash. The Hard Rock Hotel is next door, including their new hipster restaurant China Grill, which faces Michigan. There's a restaurant in the Hotel Monaco at the corner of Wabash and Wacker Place too, though the name escapes me.

Morton's and China Grill are the type of restaurants that previously would have opened on the periphery of the Loop (River North, West Randolph, etc.) instead of in it, so this is indeed a very good sign. Park Grill in Millennium Park is a solid success as well, from what I hear. So a restaurant scene is developing south of the river near Michigan, where the dining highlights used to be limited to places like Bennigan's. It can only pick up steam with the addition of Lake Shore East, Trump, and everything else nearby.
Kevin J no está en línea  
Old December 18th, 2004, 12:18 AM   #132
northsidesoxfan

a few pictures from a walk down dearborn

Here are a few pictures I snapped today (12/17) before the batteries died in my crappy digital camera.

First, two of the Maple Tower taken from the west on Maple.

Then a picture of the soon to be replaced Dr. Scholl's building.

Also, a pic of the Bernadin at Chicago and Wabash taken from Dearborn. I wanted to get some pictures of the Sun Times building, but the batteries went dead after I took the Bernadin picture. Hmmm. It looks to me like the destruction of the Sun Times building is accelerating, but I have no pictures today to prove it.

northsidesoxfan no está en línea  
Old December 18th, 2004, 07:56 AM   #133
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

If anyone's still not clear on the empty lot in question... it sits just to the northeast of Hotel 71.

Kevin J - isn't the name something like Sweetwater Grill?
Old December 18th, 2004, 08:03 AM   #134
tm308
TM

Kevin J:
"The parking lot is very small, so this 35-story condo tower is going to be very much a "sliver" building, probably limited to one unit per floor, with windows in only the front and rear. The view from the front will be the Wrigley Bldg. and Trump Tower."

I think the space between the Mather Building and the Crain Communications Building (old London Guarentee Building) is where it will be built. Check out the little parking lot inbetween each building.

From the IBM Building:

From the wabash St. bridge:
tm308 no está en línea  
Old December 19th, 2004, 03:30 AM   #135
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Hey

TM 308, if you have access to the IBM Building take of few shots of the Sun-Times from above.

What if the but a twin to Mather Tower right on that lot. For those of you who aren't familiar with Mather Tower, it's the skinny white building with the narrow tower in the center of the photo.
Old December 19th, 2004, 06:04 PM   #136
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Umm... the first Mather is ugly enough... I'm not sure that we'd want a second one
Old December 19th, 2004, 09:23 PM   #137
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Here is a rendering of the new dormity going up for Loyola University. The new dorm is on the northwest corner of Wabash anad Person, and The Clare at Watertower will be diagonally across the street on the southeast corner.

Here is the billboard rendering for the dornitory.

Sorry the photo isn't any better.
Old December 20th, 2004, 06:06 AM   #138
tm308
TM

BVictor1:
"TM 308, if you have access to the IBM Building take of few shots of the Sun-Times from above."

I was up in the IBM building only for a week last August. I may go there again this coming Feburary. If I do, I'll take a few overheads of the Sun-Times building (if it is still there ).
tm308 no está en línea  
Old December 20th, 2004, 06:12 AM   #139
Wu-Gambino

Likes (Received): 109

^ Hotel 71 also has a good view:

Wu-Gambino no está en línea  
Old December 20th, 2004, 07:34 AM   #140
MCC
Made in Indy

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_diamond
Great post TUP!

See? People do read them

I think the Flames might win the conference again this year if UWM runs out of gas. They would be a lock if Martell Bailey hadn't flunked out.

BTW how long ago did they take down the netting on Mather?
MCC no está en línea  

Closed Thread