daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 24th, 2004, 11:27 AM   #261
heirloom

Likes (Received): 2

no texture.. i'm just saying slurpee is more fun to drink than that. it costs... i don tknow? normal price lor
heirloom no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 25th, 2004, 04:59 PM   #262
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Oct 25, 2004
At world No. 2 now, ComfortDelGro eyes top spot

SINGAPORE bus and taxi giant ComfortDelGro has set its sights on becoming the world's biggest land transport operator.

Chief executive Kua Hong Pak reckons the company can get there in four to six years, and is prepared to put S$400 million into the effort.

'Hopefully, ComfortDelGro will be the world's largest land transport group, and a name that's recognisable in many parts of the world,' he told The Straits Times in an interview.

From its Braddell Road headquarters, it already oversees bus and taxi companies in several places, including China and England.

It is on the look-out for more overseas transport businesses to buy or form joint ventures to run, especially in China.

ComfortDelGro was formed in March last year in a merger between Comfort and DelGro.

Mr Kua said: 'It's not widely known that ComfortDelGro is already the second largest land transport company in the world.'

With 36,300 vehicles, it ranks behind Laidlaw of the United States which has a fleet of 52,500.

ComfortDelGro seeks to earn at least half its total revenue from overseas by 2008 or 2010, up from just over a quarter when the merger took place. By then, it will be poised to overtake Laidlaw.

ComfortDelGro is focusing on growing within the countries where it already operates. Its key investment in Britain is Metroline, which runs buses in London, Scotland and Dublin.

Copyright © 2004 Singapore Press Holdings. All rights reserved.
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2004, 12:51 AM   #263
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 107

seems that PSA and ComfortDelGro are worldwide no. twos!
RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2004, 01:45 PM   #264
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Likes (Received): 4

It was indeed a surprise that Comfortdelgro is this big. Good to stamp its name all over the world if its dream is realised thou...helps in our reputation as a transport hub!

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2004, 11:24 PM   #265
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Taxi companies score another 'F' for safety in LTA report card

By Asha Popatlal/Pearl Forss, Channel NewsAsia

SINGAPORE : Singapore's taxi operators have scored an "F" for safety once again -- this time including the new kids on the block.

The fail mark is from the second report card on service standards, for April to June, prepared by the Land Transport Authority.

This is their last chance to improve, or risk fines of up to S$100,000.

Road accidents involving taxis have made the news time and time again.

Safety became an issue when in June this year, the four main players -- Comfort, CityCab, SMRT and Yellow-Top Cabs -- failed to meet LTA's standards in their first report card.

The maximum allowed is two crashes per 10 million kilometres.

The companies managed an average score of 2.45 accidents per 10 million kilometres this time.

While it is better than the earlier 2.7 figure for the first quarter, it is still not up to par.

It is similar bad news for new entrants, TransCab, Smart Automobile and Premier Taxis, who also failed the accident rate standards.

Responding, taxi drivers say they are not always to blame.

"They always use taxi drivers as an excuse. Whatever goes wrong it is always the taxi driver's fault. So this sort of thing, the LTA should look into it case by case," one taxi driver said.

"If a driver is driving too long, they are too tired, of course there is a risk. But sometimes you cannot blame them; one breadwinner, they have to bring back a certain amount," another said.

"Suddenly, the passenger asks you to turn right, then suddenly they say, no, you turn left -- that's the thing," said a third cabbie.

Passengers weren't too concerned though.

"Taxi drivers are pretty responsible individuals. If they are tired, they themselves also know how to take care of their safety," one said.

But the taxi companies aren't taking chances.

They are using a combination of measures, from counselling and refresher training to incentives and demerit points to drive home the safety message.

ComfortDelGro, the biggest operator, recently installed a new silent speed alerting device in 20 taxis.

Feedback has been positive and it will be installed in another 50 taxis.

New entrant Premier Taxis say because they have a small fleet, all it takes is one accident a month and they fail.

Another new entrant, SMART Taxis, says passengers also can help by indicating their alighting points early.

Nonetheless, by the time the next set of results are out for the period of July to September 2004, taxi companies will have to meet the set accident rate.

If they don't and can't offer any mitigating explanation, they will be liable for fines of up to S$100,000 by the LTA.

The only silver lining for the established companies is that when it came to getting cabs for callers, they all passed, exceeding the 90 percent standard set. - CNA

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
Old October 30th, 2004, 09:32 AM   #266
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafflesCity
seems that PSA and ComfortDelGro are worldwide no. twos!
Global number twos perhaps, but Delgro now has a fleet of comfort taxies getting into too many accidents.

Old November 1st, 2004, 07:14 PM   #267
huaiwei
The Monkey King

The things singaporeans do for a car!

Time is GMT + 8 hours
Posted: 01 November 2004 1255 hrs

Number of contestants at MediaCorp Radio-Subaru Challenge down to 12
By Johnson Choo, Channel NewsAsia

SINGAPORE: The number of contestants in the MediaCorp Radio-Subaru Challenge at Ngee Ann City has dwindled to 12 from the 238 when it first started on Saturday.

As of 9.45pm on Monday, eight men and four women were still standing with their hands on the brand new $90,000 car they are trying to win.

When the Challenge crossed the mentally-challenging 48-hour mark at 1pm earlier in the day, 18 men and seven women were left.

As the Challenge crept towards that mark - a psychological barrier for the contestants - the strain was really showing.

Paul Yang, general manager of Comfort Ambulance and Services, said: "Most of them, I should say, have back pain, leg swollen, wrist swollen. We try our best to give them some massage to relieve the pain as well as give them some comfort."

Bernard Lim, MediaCorp Radio's deputy general manager, said: "We've approached a very, very crucial stage now with only about 20 people left in the game. This is the time when people refuse to give up, they want to hang on there. But as judges and officials, we have to go around and play the rules very fairly. Some of them obviously cannot even keep their hand flat on the car any more, so we have to disqualify them."

Family and friends were out in force to cheer on the remaining contestants.

"We're here to support him and make sure he's awake - my friend here, number 194," said supporters of contestant Roy Koh.

Unfortunately, Roy Koh dropped out of the race just 18 minutes short of the 48-hour mark.

At 1pm, the remaining 25 contestants took their much awaited 5-minute break.

Besides getting a much-needed massage, they also helped themselves to the packed food and drinks.

A must-have was the energy drink.

To ensure the supply does not run out, the organisers from MediaCorp Radio actually went out to the entire stretch of Orchard Road and bought up every single can available.

But for the contestants, besides these sustenance, they will also need an extra dose of grit and undying determination in order to win. - CNA

Old November 2nd, 2004, 12:50 AM   #268
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

^
Haha....the other day I saw on the new, thr reporter was saying that the body odour from the contestant was strong since they have to endure the sun(sweat), rain (and can't take shower)..............

But the Subaru they'll "fighting" for is a marvellous car.........
Old November 2nd, 2004, 10:49 AM   #269
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Disgusting siah. Seriously, would any of you consider joining such a contest? Considering how I like to stay up for hours without sleep, maybe I should give it a try eh?

Old November 2nd, 2004, 10:51 AM   #270
heirloom

uh... if there is no allowance for me to wash my face i definitely wont take part
Old November 2nd, 2004, 02:46 PM   #271
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

I don't mind taking part......just treat it as going to field camp in army.....

Time is GMT + 8 hours
Posted: 02 November 2004 1617 hrs

MediaCorp Radio-Subaru Challenge winner lasts record 75 hours
By Johnson Choo, Channel NewsAsia

SINGAPORE : A winner has finally emerged from the third MediaCorp Radio-Subaru Challenge as 23-year-old sales executive Ian Lee beat 29-year-old administrative officer Cheang Pui San by a minute to set a new record time of 74 hours and 59 minutes.

He beat the previous record by more than nine hours in the event at Ngee Ann City Civic Plaza.

Ms Cheang, contestant number 120, lifted her palm off the car two minutes short of 75 hours into the challenge.

A minute later, Mr Lee, contestant number 66, took his right hand off the car and was declared the winner of a brand new S$90,000 car.

The two contestants were immediately rushed to the first-aid post for a checkup.

Family and friends surrounded the two very physically and mentally exhausted contestants.

So what were Mr Lee's first thoughts when he won?

"It was a great feat. I thank God and I thank my family members," he said.

The two contestants earlier had to brave the erratic weather, which alternated between the blazing sun and pouring rain.

At 2.50 pm, organiser MediaCorp Radio decided to isolate the two contestants and this proved to be the crux in determining the winner, as both tried hard to stay focused and lucid.

Unfortunately for Ms Cheang, after spending more than three days here, she only managed to go away with more than S$2,000 worth of shopping vouchers as the first runner-up.

She was sent to the hospital for observation to make sure that she was physically all right.

That left Mr Lee a very happy and proud owner of a brand new Subaru Impreza WRX.

Last year's winner held on for nearly 67 hours, while the winner of the inaugural contest in 2002 lasted 62 hours. - CNA

Copyright © 2004 MCN International Pte Ltd
Old November 3rd, 2004, 05:01 PM   #272
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Nov 3, 2004
S'pore's trail-blazing land transport policies lauded
By Christopher Tan
Senior Correspondent

SINGAPORE is miles ahead in the land transport game. That swift summation comes from the man who is dedicated to promoting mass mobility, Mr Wolfgang Meyer.

Mr Meyer is president of the International Association of Public Transport, a 119-year-old advocacy group based in Brussels.

Many of the emerging trends in cities around the world - such as congestion-pricing, electronic fare collection and privatisation of transport operators - are already practised by Singapore, he pointed out.

'You have high political support for sustainable development in the city,' he said when he was here recently. 'And sustainable mobility is the basis for sustainable development on the whole.' He praised the political will of the Government in managing the car population, a feat few others have duplicated.

'Motorisation is increasing very fast. But you need a lot of time and money to establish a road system. You are running against time.

'The private car is used for two hours, and parked for 22 hours... It's a waste of liveability. In Singapore, you've not given too much space to the car.'

He said politicians 'must be courageous', citing the example of London mayor Ken Livingstone, who pushed through congestion-pricing just before elections and still won.

'At first, the shopkeepers in London were afraid that congestion-pricing would keep people away,' he recalled. 'But the opposite has happened. The city is more accessible today.'

Mr Meyer said that it was 'astonishing' to see how the rail network had grown in just 15 years. 'Every year, close to 8km is added,' he noted. 'The financial investment is huge, and doing all that construction in such a densely populated city - that's what I admire most.'

Mr Meyer said people often speak about public transport in terms of 'deficits and subsidies'. 'But the benefits to the entire community - there's no balance sheet for that. Governments should remember this - that the mobility of the people is not measurable.'

He said public transport in Europe, where it started, is undergoing a change. 'We need competition. Economic reasons are the best for a sound public transport business.' He believes the State should allow transport operators to 'act as real entrepreneurial companies'.

'If you accept this... then you must accept the conclusion that fares must be decided by the companies first. These companies have the best feel of the market,' he said.

The State should then decide how it wants to help 'the poor, the students, the handicapped' cope with higher fares, he added.

Old November 4th, 2004, 12:33 AM   #273
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloom
uh... if there is no allowance for me to wash my face i definitely wont take part
You can do it during the break time what...muahahaha

Or you can also pray for rain.

Old November 4th, 2004, 03:01 AM   #274
heirloom

the break sounds very short... how long is it?
Old November 4th, 2004, 05:01 AM   #275
huaiwei
The Monkey King

I only noe they got 5 min breaks...how frequent is that I am not so sure thou.

Old November 4th, 2004, 06:10 AM   #276
heirloom

haha as i guessed. i can't wash my face in 5 minutes. my morning ritual takes 15 minutes (including peeing and brushing teeth).
Old November 4th, 2004, 07:12 AM   #277
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloom
haha as i guessed. i can't wash my face in 5 minutes. my morning ritual takes 15 minutes (including peeing and brushing teeth).
!!!!!

Erm...15 mins is very normal. The thing is i dont think u need to wash face, pee, and brush teeth during every break for this competition loh.

Old November 4th, 2004, 07:53 AM   #278
heirloom

but the breaks are only 5 minutes!
i have to go through the ritual twice a day!
Old November 5th, 2004, 01:32 PM   #279
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Business Times - 05 Nov 2004

ComfortDelGro wins 3 bus licenses in Malaysia

SINGAPORE - Comfort Bus, Singapore's largest private bus charter operator said it has been awarded three Malaysian licenses to offer bus chartering services.

It said in a press release, its three new buses, which cost $620,000, will make their maiden journey tomorrow to Genting Highlands, a gaming resort near Malaysia's biggest city of Kuala Lumpur.

Comfort Bus, a member of the ComfortDelgro Group, will also offer travel agents and corporate customers chartering services to Johor, Malacca, Port Dickson, Kuala Lumpur and Mersing on these buses.

The expansion into Malaysia is an extension of its Singapore operations of 400 buses.

ComfortDelgro Managing Director and Group CEO, Kua Hong Pak, said in the statement, 'Together with our rental car business in Malaysia, we look forward to expanding further our operations there.'

Copyright © 2004 Singapore Press Holdings Ltd. All rights reserved.
Old November 6th, 2004, 02:37 AM   #280
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Nov 6, 2004
YESTERDAY'S TALES
People movers of the past

Trolley buses were common here from the 1920s to 1962.

THE earliest buses on Singapore's roads were trolley buses which were brought in during the 1920s to replace electric trams.

Like trams - and unlike today's diesel-fuelled public buses - trolley buses were powered by overhead electric lines. They ran on roads rather than tramlines.

The Singapore Traction Company had a 30-year monopoly to run trolley buses and motor buses in town.

By 1929, 90 trolley buses plied a distance of 30.5km. Two years earlier, the tram service, which started in 1905, had been phased out.

The fare then? 10 cents.

Because of the electric lines that powered the buses, journeys could be eventful.

Whenever a bus turned a corner, the conductor had to hop out and grab ropes connected to the lines. Otherwise, the connection would be broken.

Improving technology meant faster modes of public transport, such as motor buses - called wu xian dian che, or wireless vehicle.

Mostly Leylands, Albions or Chevrolets, these buses ran on fuel. From 1935, 'mosquito buses' - so called because they could weave in and out of traffic - began to serve rural and fringe areas.

By the 1940s, there were more motor buses than trolley buses on the roads. Trolleys were completely replaced in December 1962, and the electric lines that powered them came down.

The Singapore Traction Company collapsed in 1973.

Transporting you back to the past

1905: Electric trams begin service.

1920s: Trolley buses, also powered by overhead electric lines, are brought in to replace the trams. By 1929, there are 90 trolley buses on the roads.

1927: Trams are phased out.

1935: Motor buses begin to serve rural and fringe areas.

1962: Trolley buses are completely replaced by motor buses.

Tags
metro, mrt, singapore