daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 7th, 2004, 04:27 PM   #301
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Likes (Received): 4

I think the CSS's services days are truly numbered. They are a relic of past days, a service which was once needed, but no longer so in today's scenario. They might as well get rid of them all quickly instead of doing it one at a time!

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 8th, 2004, 12:56 AM   #302
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Likes (Received): 2

Nov 8, 2004

HK's public transport beats S'pore's because it's reliable, affordable

I LIVE in Hong Kong.

The structure of the public transport system in Hong Kong is similar to that in Singapore, but the efficiency of the system in Hong Kong is second to none.

If Singapore is ranked third, it must have been a distant third.

Although the Singapore media often praises the so-called world-class standard of the Singapore public transport system, the best compliment comes not from ourselves but from our more developed neighbours.

These are some observations on Hong Kong's superb transport system:

Affordability: In Hong Kong, the cost of public transport is kept affordable in relation to the average income level.

Reliability: There is no SMS service to inform commuters arrival times. There is no need for such an expensive service as the public transport system is reliable.

Efficiency: Hong Kong's bus system is made up of 'regular' buses (similar to Singapore's SBS buses) and minibuses. There are many express routes that ply between residential areas and key business areas. The minibuses are driven by market demand and operate in areas not frequented by the 'regular' bus routes.

Competitiveness: Since the MTR subway system and bus companies are owned by separate entities, there is real motivation for each company to improve its services and meet market demand. Within the bus transport system, there are at least five companies to service the community - Firstbus, Citybus, KMB and two minibus companies.

In Singapore, SBS has undertaken numerous initiatives to improve the system, an instance being the introduction of SMS service.

However, knowing arrival times of buses is useless if the bus system is not efficient and reliable in the first place.

In an environment of a real world-class transport system, there would be no need for an SMS service. The implementation of the SMS service presumably entailed high set-up costs which will eventually be passed on to consumers.

Transport companies should remember that their imperative public role is to provide an efficient and inexpensive transport system.

Frills such as SMS service and television sets on buses should be regarded as a secondary objective, the primary one being to continuously improve the efficiency of the transport system.

Only with an almost flawless public transport system will there be a control on the number of cars on the roads.

Long Tian Fang
Hong Kong

Copyright © 2004 Singapore Press Holdings. All rights reserved.
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2004, 03:52 AM   #303
ignoramus

IMO I think that guy is screwed up and has nothing else better to do than to make such a comment.
ignoramus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2004, 08:18 AM   #304
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Muahaha....I seriously am contemplating writing a reply to that letter writer.

Notice the "evidence" he gave to support his stance seems watery at best? He keeps insisting that the buses there are "more efficient." By what measure? He made no mention on that. Singapore's transport system is one of the cheapest in the developed world, and even Singaporeans find their costs expensive. What makes us any inferior in that aspect?

Singapore tried introducing "minibuses", but they dont really take off, perhaps demonstrating just how comprehensive the existing services already are. Not to forget our taxis fill the gap easily, besides being amongst the cheapest worldwide too. And dont we have express bus services too?

All in all, he seems to be arguing that the Singapore bus system is less efficient only because of the recent introduction of the sms service??

I think he has been living in HK too long.

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
Old November 8th, 2004, 08:53 AM   #305
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Leyland Olympian

Source: http://www.hkob.net/sbsla.htm

Old November 8th, 2004, 08:54 AM   #306
heirloom

i yearn for greater frequencies and more direct routes though..
heirloom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2004, 08:57 AM   #307
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

I wonder just how "inefficient" the public transport in Singapore is??
Old November 8th, 2004, 09:00 AM   #308
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloom
i yearn for greater frequencies and more direct routes though..
Yeah..but that can hardly be considered a measure of "efficiency" right?

Old November 8th, 2004, 09:01 AM   #309
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by huaiwei

Leyland Olympian

Source: http://www.hkob.net/sbsla.htm
One of my favourite bus.......and my favourite seat.....anyone care to guess??
Old November 8th, 2004, 09:04 AM   #310
heirloom

nono i'm just saying more can be done to improve. the tvs should stay.
Old November 8th, 2004, 09:05 AM   #311
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
nono i'm just saying more can be done to improve. the tvs should stay.
Get rid of the TVs!

Old November 8th, 2004, 09:07 AM   #312
heirloom

tv mobile is good because bus rides are worse than boring if you're not sleeping
Old November 8th, 2004, 09:12 AM   #313
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
tv mobile is good because bus rides are worse than boring if you're not sleeping
Yup.....I find it okay when I'm really bored.......but then sometimes really irritate when you seen the programme for umpteen times........
Old November 8th, 2004, 09:19 AM   #314
heirloom

nono! i might die further without tvs!
Old November 8th, 2004, 09:21 AM   #315
heirloom

uh... i dont watch tv often so i dunno what they show also.. and i dont really take bus in sg very often these days (because i'm in perth).
Old November 8th, 2004, 09:23 AM   #316
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
uh... i dont watch tv often so i dunno what they show also.. and i dont really take bus in sg very often these days (because i'm in perth).
I suppose you'll have plenty of chance(to take the bus) once you get back to Singapore??
Old November 8th, 2004, 09:23 AM   #317
heirloom

look cab! (dont be hum sup)

hippo bus

silvercab - free air purifier, wet towel and what else? i remember three items.
Old November 8th, 2004, 09:26 AM   #318
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

[QUOTE=heirloom]look cab! (dont be hum sup)
[QUOTE]

Emm.....I thought the government would like us to be more "hum sup" so that the population would get bigger??
Old November 8th, 2004, 09:34 AM   #319
heirloom

be careful arh.. hum sup teachers always get in trouble...

london cabs; we should have like 10 million of these! they are so adorable! how come we have so little only? i've never even been on one except in london. and it was the crummier older type.

Old November 8th, 2004, 09:42 AM   #320
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by huaiwei
Muahaha....I seriously am contemplating writing a reply to that letter writer.

Notice the "evidence" he gave to support his stance seems watery at best? He keeps insisting that the buses there are "more efficient." By what measure? He made no mention on that. Singapore's transport system is one of the cheapest in the developed world, and even Singaporeans find their costs expensive. What makes us any inferior in that aspect?

Singapore tried introducing "minibuses", but they dont really take off, perhaps demonstrating just how comprehensive the existing services already are. Not to forget our taxis fill the gap easily, besides being amongst the cheapest worldwide too. And dont we have express bus services too?

All in all, he seems to be arguing that the Singapore bus system is less efficient only because of the recent introduction of the sms service??

I think he has been living in HK too long.
I thought I might see your reply on the straits times tomorrow??

Tags
metro, mrt, singapore