daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 8th, 2004, 10:17 AM   #321
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloom
be careful arh.. hum sup teachers always get in trouble...

london cabs; we should have like 10 million of these! they are so adorable! how come we have so little only? i've never even been on one except in london. and it was the crummier older type.
Don't worry.....I'll keep my hum sup "paws" strictly to myself.......

Took one london cab recently, it was quite spacious........
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 8th, 2004, 10:39 AM   #322
ignoramus

Likes (Received): 4

Yup write in. Refute those unsubstantiated claims by that ass. If he wants reliability look to Japan...

Like SG back then, HK's having its share of problems now too...
ignoramus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2004, 10:41 AM   #323
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignoramus
Yup write in. Refute those unsubstantiated claims by that ass. If he wants reliability look to Japan...

Like SG back then, HK's having its share of problems now too...
I'm sure Strait times is posting that article to stimulate some interest there......
Old November 8th, 2004, 11:24 AM   #324
Isan
อีสาน 東北府

London Cab & City Bus

BEAUTIFUL SIAM
Isan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2004, 11:36 AM   #325
ignoramus

hmm you visited Singapore recently? Thanks for the pics.
Old November 8th, 2004, 11:42 AM   #326
ignoramus

Singapore's Other People Mover Systems

Last edited by ignoramus; March 15th, 2005 at 12:46 PM.
Old November 8th, 2004, 11:44 AM   #327
redstone
Lurker

Likes (Received): 52

Anyone managed to snap the amphibious bus?
redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2004, 12:07 PM   #328
ignoramus

New Automated People Mover system to link Changi Airport's three Terminals

Passengers making inter-terminal flight connections at Singapore Changi Airport will find it a breeze even after Terminal 3 opens in early 2008. The Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS) is installing a new S$135 million Automated People Mover System to make transfers between the three terminals convenient and seamless.

The new Automated People Mover System will comprise of ten train services linking the three terminals through 6.5 kilometres of elevated train tracks. The new system will have a total of seven train stations: two stations in Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 respectively and three stations in Terminal 3.

The new trains will come equipped with LCD screens in the cabins, giving flight information and other airport information. The cabins will also have more vertical stanchions and handholds, as well as designated areas for baggage trolleys, enhancing the convenience of users. There will also be plasma TV displays at the train stations to inform passengers of the arrival time of the next train.

Work on the new Automated People Mover System will begin in December 2002 and is expected to be completed in early 2008.

Sentosa Express: A ground-breaking start

Heralding a key milestone in Sentosaís long-term rejuvenation programme to transform the resort island into a world-class leisure destination, Sentosa today started work on a light rail system that will provide visitors with seamless and efficient connections to and through the island in comfort.

The $140-million air-conditioned Sentosa Express is the islandís biggest infrastructure investment to date. It is an integral part of the strategy to enhance the islandís transport system and will significantly improve Sentosaís access from all corners of Singapore.

Since 1972, when Sentosa started being developed as a resort destination, the island has seen a six-fold increase in visitors to a record 4.123 million visitors last fiscal year. And to gear up for the expected eight million visitors annually when the islandís redevelopment projects are completed in 2012, improvements to the islandís transport access will better support incoming developments on Sentosa.

The islandís transport network has evolved since the early days when the only way to get to Sentosa was by the ferry and cable car. When the 710-metre long causeway-bridge opened for land access in 1992, it offered a vital and direct link to Singapore. With the new Sentosa Express, travelling to Sentosa promises to be so convenient that it will become the main mode of visitor access.

"The Sentosa Express connecting the HarbourFront MRT Station to Sentosa will give a whole new experience to the sense of arrival to the island. Soon, we can bring visitors practically hassle-free from their doorstep in any part of Singapore right into Sentosa," said Darrell Metzger, Sentosaís Chief Executive Officer, at the ground-breaking ceremony. "This is part of our continual initiatives to make more customer-focused improvements as we redevelop and revamp Sentosa."

When it becomes operational in 2006, visitors can easily transfer from the North-East MRT Line at HarbourFront Station onto the Sentosa Express, which will bring them directly into the island in well under four minutes.

Optimistic that this will in turn attract investors and business partners to Sentosa, Director of Property Gurjit Singh said, "Good access is a key issue in providing the right business climate for the islandís potential investors, and the Sentosa Express will actively and positively address this issue. Upgrading the islandís infrastructure will serve as a springboard to attract future private sector investments."

Elevated on 2-way tracks and encompassing a 2.15km-route, the new Sentosa Express will be a driver-operated, fully computerized system with a capacity to carry 3,000 passengers per hour in each direction. Plying through four stations, it will start from the new HarbourFront MRT Station and continue across the Sentosa Causeway-Bridge to reach three other stations located at strategic points servicing key activity areas, namely:-

the Northern Entertainment Precinctís Arrival Plaza

the Central Green Hub

the Southern Beaches

From these areas, visitors can easily connect onto various modes of transport to get to the various parts of the island and beaches.
The current monorail on the island Ė which will have served the island for 23 years Ė is scheduled to be dismantled by 2005 to make way for this more efficient and comfortable system.

Undertaking the build-and-design contract of Sentosa Express is Hitachi Asia Ltd, the Japanese company behind several other successful rail systems such as the one in Tokyo Disneyland Resort and the Tokyo Monorail, currently operating from Haneda Airport.

"The construction of the Sentosa Express is the result of a win-win partnership between Sentosa and Hitachi," says Mr Shunsuke Ohtsu, Managing Director of Hitachi Asia, Ltd. "The Sentosa Express will enhance Sentosaís transport system and access to the island, and at the same time showcases Hitachiís best-of-breed monorail systems for which it is world-renowned."

Ground works on the Sentosa Express kicked off today at a simple ground-breaking ceremony held at the East Mall next to the Fountain Gardens. By 2006, the new rail system will seamlessly link Sentosa to the new North-East Line at HarbourFront MRT station.
Old November 8th, 2004, 12:26 PM   #329
ignoramus

there is such a thing? you mean the duck is it? it isn't a bus.
Old November 8th, 2004, 12:57 PM   #330
eyetoeye
deceased

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloom
tv mobile is good because bus rides are worse than boring if you're not sleeping
I hate it when they show stupid, idiotic, brainless, pointless, completely cliched and plain silly shows like Eye For A Guy. I always find myself feeling very peeved and irritated, especially so when there are foreigners on board. Let's just say such programmes don't leave a very good impression of Singapore's media...

"All I want is a warm bed, a kind word, and unlimited power." - Ashleigh Brilliant
eyetoeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2004, 01:23 PM   #331
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeToEye
I hate it when they show stupid, idiotic, brainless, pointless, completely cliched and plain silly shows like Eye For A Guy. I always find myself feeling very peeved and irritated, especially so when there are foreigners on board. Let's just say such programmes don't leave a very good impression of Singapore's media...
They should show programmes like get real........
Old November 8th, 2004, 02:29 PM   #332
heirloom

uh actually i can't remember anything they show except just for laughs.. they should show alias.
heirloom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2004, 03:26 PM   #333
Isan
อีสาน 東北府

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignoramus
hmm you visited Singapore recently? Thanks for the pics.
Yeah, just returning there on late of Sept.

Actually, I really didn't to enjoying very much of TV inside at bus
Ride too short for viewing to felt dizzy

BEAUTIFUL SIAM
Isan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2004, 08:52 PM   #334
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Wakaoz.....you can find that much information on the other PMSs??

Do you wish to add the Buona Vista system to this thread, or should it be an LRT system?

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2004, 08:55 PM   #335
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystan03
One of my favourite bus.......and my favourite seat.....anyone care to guess??
Er.....second level, front seats? Well at least that is one of my favourite seats.

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
Old November 8th, 2004, 09:00 PM   #336
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Kind of wondering why he would write the letter out of the blue thou, as thou something inspired him or something.

I see if I will write tomorrow or not lah. Another bloody essay to finish, and I need to sleep now...

Old November 9th, 2004, 01:39 AM   #337
ignoramus

Quote:
Originally Posted by huaiwei
Wakaoz.....you can find that much information on the other PMSs??

Do you wish to add the Buona Vista system to this thread, or should it be an LRT system?
Buona Vista PMS System as in the One North PMS System?

One North's PMS System will be included in this thread, or rather, it has already been included in this thread (but that section is empty cause NO information is available as yet) instead of the ''Singapore's MRT & LRT'' thread because these are developments made by other organisations (CAAS, Sentosa, Jurong Bird Park & Jurong Town Corporation's One North) rather than by the LTA (MRT & LRT).

Last edited by ignoramus; November 9th, 2004 at 01:44 AM.
Old November 9th, 2004, 01:47 AM   #338
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by huaiwei
Er.....second level, front seats? Well at least that is one of my favourite seats.
Yah......perfect for taking picture(that is if there are no ppl sitting beside me........ ).........
Old November 9th, 2004, 01:49 AM   #339
ignoramus

Then you can cover the ''periscope'' at the front seat that bus drivers use to see whats going on in the upper deck. Then the bus driver will yell ''Oei!''.
Old November 9th, 2004, 01:50 AM   #340
ignoramus

Do tell us if you have sent the letter in or not so we can keep a watch out for it.

Tags
metro, mrt, singapore