daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 9th, 2004, 03:43 PM   #401
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit
For those who are interested, SBS Transit issued a set of 2 1:76 die cast models of the buses. One with the old Superbus red and white livery and the other with the new SBS Transit livery. Costs $98/set.
Bloody overprices to me, and yet, they have "train sets" too...albeit they dont move.

And yeah, heir, I know that isnt quite appealing, unless you are the scratched or the scratcher?

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 9th, 2004, 03:49 PM   #402
heirloom

Likes (Received): 2

ugh... is there anyway we can appeal to smrt to make moving trainsets.. it would be so cute!! and miniature ones not big ones.

its not appealing in anyway
heirloom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2004, 04:18 PM   #403
Kit
arkitect

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by huaiwei
Bloody overprices to me, and yet, they have "train sets" too...albeit they dont move.

And yeah, heir, I know that isnt quite appealing, unless you are the scratched or the scratcher?
Heh!! If you think that's overpriced.......... some shops in town are already reselling these models for $130/set.

$98 is quite reasonable considering how much these models are going for right now(look at those hk bus models). They do cost quite a bit to manufacture, expecially for those limited edition ones.
Kit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2004, 04:19 PM   #404
Kit
arkitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloom
ugh... is there anyway we can appeal to smrt to make moving trainsets.. it would be so cute!! and miniature ones not big ones.

its not appealing in anyway
I asked them if they would issue dies cast models on a regular basis in the near future and nope, no plans for those now. They are just too expensive to make.
Old November 10th, 2004, 02:25 AM   #405
ignoramus

haiz. If they made them even smaller in size, hence cheaper, I might have bought them. They do look very realistic (the SBS Transit NEL Train Model). If only there were models for SMRT's trains too.
ignoramus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2004, 03:15 AM   #406
Kit
arkitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignoramus
haiz. If they made them even smaller in size, hence cheaper, I might have bought them. They do look very realistic (the SBS Transit NEL Train Model). If only there were models for SMRT's trains too.
Actually nope. Smaller doesn't means cheaper.
Old November 10th, 2004, 07:29 AM   #407
heirloom

can't smrt like ask one of those train model companies to sell their trains
Old November 10th, 2004, 07:32 AM   #408
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
90 more posts till I reach 1000 and officially declare myself an addict to SSC and I guess ''officially a forumer?''. Any prizes?
1000 slaps on the face for yah.

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
Old November 10th, 2004, 02:01 PM   #409
huaiwei
The Monkey King

I dont think there are that many SMRT fanatics just yet?

Doubt the models sold by SBST is selling well too, although I am suddenly getting interested to get one.

Old November 10th, 2004, 03:41 PM   #410
ignoramus

Quote:
Originally Posted by huaiwei
I dont think there are that many SMRT fanatics just yet?

Doubt the models sold by SBST is selling well too, although I am suddenly getting interested to get one.
Cause many people don't have any appreciation for the older SMRT rolling stock. They should have.

Yup doubt the models sold by SBS Transit are selling well cause despite the fact that they are limited edition models, its been a year since NEL commenced service and they are still being sold. Big drawback, the price.

If they manufactured the train models in smaller sizes they would be cheaper (contrary to what Kit said) cause when a train model is small, they don't have to spend additional resources, hence driving up costs, in paying particular attention to the train interior details, they can just make do with the train exterior details. This can be the affordable version.

But if people want models of a larger scale and with a more detailed design, they can still purchase the more expensive version. Since railway train models that move on tracks are cheap, they can install the same cheap motors on these NEL train models so they can move.
Old November 10th, 2004, 03:47 PM   #411
heirloom

uh.. small models are very difficult to make and i dont think they are any less detailed..

"N scale is built to a ratio of 1:160. That is, N scale trains are 1/160 the size of the real thing. "

Old November 10th, 2004, 03:48 PM   #412
ignoramus

10 November 2004

© Ignoramus

Mercedes ''?'' Bus
© Ignoramus
Old November 10th, 2004, 03:51 PM   #413
ignoramus

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloom
uh.. small models are very difficult to make and i dont think they are any less detailed..

"N scale is built to a ratio of 1:160. That is, N scale trains are 1/160 the size of the real thing. "

The existing NEL Train Models are very detailed, both in its exterior and interiors (You can see the seats).

If you made the train smaller, you can don't even bother about making the interiors, hence saving costs and being cheaper. You are basically just making the shell of the train and not the interior designs too.
Old November 10th, 2004, 03:51 PM   #414
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
10 November 2004
Mercedes ''?'' Bus
© Ignoramus
I used to have a friend in JC who hated mercedes bus......he say it was very noisy.......unlike volvo which is smooth and steady.......
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2004, 03:51 PM   #415
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Argh...get rid of the dirty yellow quick!

Old November 10th, 2004, 04:00 PM   #416
ignoramus

10 November 2004

Changi Airport Skytrain

Bombardier ''?'' Car
© Ignoramus
Old November 10th, 2004, 04:08 PM   #417
heirloom

uhmmm notice the seats in this.. a 12 car set costs 8940tw dollars.. thats about 450 sgd..
Old November 10th, 2004, 04:11 PM   #418
ignoramus

Last edited by ignoramus; November 11th, 2004 at 01:03 PM.
Old November 10th, 2004, 04:14 PM   #419
ignoramus

Ya but when you consider if it were a one car set it would cost about 40 SGD, significantly cheaper than the one now.
Old November 10th, 2004, 04:20 PM   #420
heirloom

yeah... but if you're going to make it so small.. one car isnt going to satisfy actually so big one car also not fun

i've always wanted a train set but i can't seem to think of a way to integrate it usefully into the furnishings.. i wouldnt mind one taht could pass messages like in a hospital.

"dad i need a glass of water asap"

Tags
metro, mrt, singapore