daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 13th, 2004, 08:47 AM   #541
heirloom

Likes (Received): 2

do you suffer from teacher politics in school? like old conservative teachers making snide remarks about younger more open teachers?
heirloom no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 13th, 2004, 08:48 AM   #542
ignoramus

Likes (Received): 4

Oh I meant if a area has high passenger traffic cause the area is dense all the more they choose for elevated cause it doesnt compete for road traffic.

But since One North is comparatively less dense and the buildings are closer to each other (evident in the fact that they have skybridges linking buildings)less likely is it going to be elevated. Unless of course they opt for monorail which too is a possibility, read it in reports.

But once again I prefer trams.
ignoramus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2004, 08:49 AM   #543
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloom
do you suffer from teacher politics in school? like old conservative teachers making snide remarks about younger more open teachers?
So far no......I think that's more of a problem with young female teachers......conservative teachers seems to have some problems with their dress sometimes.....haha...
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2004, 08:51 AM   #544
heirloom

ohoh yarlor... i found it quite amusing the stories told by younger female teachers..
heirloom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2004, 08:54 AM   #545
huaiwei
The Monkey King

My road outside got 3 services, but only one goes to the nearest MRT. That is the irony of it all.....

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2004, 11:50 AM   #546
ignoramus

Seems like any thread here involving us becomes a thread for chatting rather than an actual thread about Singapore's Transportation. We better post something relevant up soon.
Old November 13th, 2004, 11:52 AM   #547
ignoramus

Oh if anyone goes to Sentosa please take pics of the Sentosa Express being constructed k. Esp when the support pillars on Gateway Causeway Bridge is being built. Will be an awesome sight.
Old November 13th, 2004, 11:56 AM   #548
ignoramus

My house is just by the main road. At least 10 bus services ply the bus stop 1 block away. And the MRT is two blocks and a road junction away. And because its a main road the chances of getting a taxi is higher. And its 4 blocks and a road to the neighbourhood town centre. Whats lacking is a LRT. And it isnt crowded and congested like Ang Mo Kio Town.

And yet I am not disturbed by the noise as there is a much shorter block between me and the road, the noise level is lowered.

Man I am fortunate. Except for the annoying sound of the ''Garang Guni'' collector honking his horn.
Old November 13th, 2004, 12:35 PM   #549
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignoramus
Oh if anyone goes to Sentosa please take pics of the Sentosa Express being constructed k. Esp when the support pillars on Gateway Causeway Bridge is being built. Will be an awesome sight.
I'm going to Harbourfront tomorrow......I'll see what I can do........
Old November 13th, 2004, 01:09 PM   #550
ignoramus

Please please take pictures of the recently opened portion of HarbourFront Centre okay (The section with the glass entrance and all the new BreadTalk shops), I havent been inside there before. The last time I went there the facade was still being constructed. Enlighten me with photos of how the recently opened section looks like as well as pics of the facade.

If you can see any construction of the bridge for the PMS, take pics, if not never mind.

And of course, take pics of the construction progress of VivoCity.

Other than the above 3, theres actually nothing much to take at HarbourFront already, unless you want to take more pics of HarbourFront Station, the NEL trains, the GTMs, the tactile guides, the fare gates, the Plasma Displays, the big Sentosa poster in the station or even pics of the office towers and cable car tower or the cruise terminal...(You can get a great view of sentosa from the cruise centre, can see the carlsberg sky tower etc).

haha thanks for listening to me. Thanks.
Old November 13th, 2004, 02:15 PM   #551
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
Please please take pictures of the recently opened portion of HarbourFront Centre okay (The section with the glass entrance and all the new BreadTalk shops), I havent been inside there before. The last time I went there the facade was still being constructed. Enlighten me with photos of how the recently opened section looks like as well as pics of the facade.

If you can see any construction of the bridge for the PMS, take pics, if not never mind.

And of course, take pics of the construction progress of VivoCity.

Other than the above 3, theres actually nothing much to take at HarbourFront already, unless you want to take more pics of HarbourFront Station, the NEL trains, the GTMs, the tactile guides, the fare gates, the Plasma Displays, the big Sentosa poster in the station or even pics of the office towers and cable car tower or the cruise terminal...(You can get a great view of sentosa from the cruise centre, can see the carlsberg sky tower etc).

haha thanks for listening to me. Thanks.
Wah such a long list.........Shouldn't be a problem as I'll be going by mrt.....
Old November 13th, 2004, 02:21 PM   #552
ignoramus

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystan03
Wah such a long list.........Shouldn't be a problem as I'll be going by mrt.....
REMEMBER THE LIST AH! haha... take pics of everything. too bad your cam cant take video...you taking NEL to Punggol too? if you are take pics of Punggol and the Punggol LRT Sengkang LRT etc etc etc. If I had all the memory card space in the world and all the time in the world there's simply so much to take.
Old November 13th, 2004, 02:24 PM   #553
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
REMEMBER THE LIST AH! haha... take pics of everything. too bad your cam cant take video...you taking NEL to Punggol too? if you are take pics of Punggol and the Punggol LRT Sengkang LRT etc etc etc. If I had all the memory card space in the world and all the time in the world there's simply so much to take.
I going to harbourfront only.......

Quite frankly......I think you'll have all the time after Nov(or shall I say your last paper)........
Old November 13th, 2004, 02:29 PM   #554
ignoramus

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystan03
I going to harbourfront only.......

Quite frankly......I think you'll have all the time after Nov(or shall I say your last paper)........
I might be dead by then. Look at the rate I am studying now...dammit...logging off soon to continue this shit I am doing.
Old November 13th, 2004, 02:31 PM   #555
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
I might be dead by then. Look at the rate I am studying now...dammit...logging off soon to continue this shit I am doing.
Haha.....wah sounds serious......I hope SSC isn't too distracting for your exam preparation........
Old November 13th, 2004, 02:37 PM   #556
ignoramus

SADLY i dont even feel as if I am preparing....arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old November 13th, 2004, 02:45 PM   #557
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
SADLY i dont even feel as if I am preparing....arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Good loh....that means you are confident.......
Old November 13th, 2004, 02:55 PM   #558
ignoramus

NO! Okay I am off.
Old November 13th, 2004, 03:37 PM   #559
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Then just post something more relevant to steer it back loh....

Nov 13, 2004
ComfortDelGro's gains up 68%

Contributions from overseas units boost performance for nine-month period
By Christopher Tan

COMFORTDELGRO Corp, the dominant public transport group here, has posted a two-thirds rise in net earnings for the nine months ended Sept 30.

Revenue for the third quarter rose 14.4 per cent to $546.1 million - the highest three-month tally ever. The record takings were on the back of new bus routes at its British unit and contributions from China, where new businesses include a Toyota distribution in Suzhou that started in December.

The higher turnover was also because of pricier diesel sold to its Comfort and CityCab cabbies in Singapore. The price of wholesale diesel has risen by nearly 40 per cent from same period last year.

As a result, ComfortDelGro's net profit for the first nine months was up by about 68 per cent to $151.5 million. Earnings per share rose in tandem to 7.4 cents. Net tangible assets per share stood at 61.53 cents at Sept 30, from 62.01 cents at Dec 31.

The group continued to enjoy substantially lower depreciation because buses and taxis were given longer statutory lifespans in September, last year. Depreciation and amortisation for the nine months was about $33 million lower, at $184.4 million.

But many other costs were higher. The group incurred $50.8 million in insurance and accident compensation costs, from $44.7 million previously. Materials and commodities shot up from $74.3 million to $111.4 million, while its fuel and power bill rose from $58.2 million to $74.6 million.

Subsidiary SBS Transit, the main bus operator in Singapore, posted a net profit of $39.5 million for the nine months, up from $12.3 million. Revenue rose to $420.7 million, from $398 million. Earnings per share rose from 4.1 cents to 13.3 cents, and net asset value per share stood at 90 cents, versus 82 cents on Dec 31.

The proportion of ComfortDelGro's revenue from overseas grew to 35 per cent in the third quarter, up from 30 per cent previously. Overseas pre-tax profit shot up to 28 per cent, from 12 per cent.

Operating losses for the group's North-East MRT Line were reduced to $4.6 million in the last quarter, from $10.1 million in the previous corresponding quarter because of higher ridership and tight cost control.

While softer COE prices had lowered capital needed to renew its taxi fleet, they have also affected the group's car rental/leasing business and its vehicle inspection unit, as more cars were scrapped because new car prices fell.

Still, revenue from its inspection operations was 4 per cent higher at $12.6 million, mainly from a rise in damage assessment services for motor insurers and non-vehicle testing.

Group cash and cash equivalents as at Sept 30 stood at $232.8 million, versus $328.6 million at Dec 31, mainly because of a more aggressive programme to replace smaller cabs with big ones.

Directors expect revenue to improve with growth expected from overseas and local operations. They say the group will 'continue to seek opportunities for growth, especially overseas'.

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
Old November 13th, 2004, 03:39 PM   #560
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Walao eh.....who says we have to spend a fortune on a well positioned condo? Seems like some HDB flats are just positioned nicely for public transport travel!

Tags
metro, mrt, singapore