daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 13th, 2004, 04:48 PM   #561
redstone
Lurker

Likes (Received): 52

Hey our dear Igno really is showing Singapore to the world!
redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 13th, 2004, 06:49 PM   #562
Kit
arkitect

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by huaiwei
Hm...so does the bus have movable parts? As in...it can roll around on the floor right?
Yes, you get rolling wheels.
Kit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2004, 01:14 AM   #563
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Likes (Received): 1828

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignoramus
The main thing is, a tram is novel...haha...
I dun think the govt would be very happy to have all those overhead tram wires as they wouldn't even allow KTMB to install overhead pantograph for its high-speed electric trains to Tanjung Pagar as it deemed unsightly.

So I dun think trams would see the light of day on the streets of Singapore. Actually I am a strong opponent of trams making its way into KL as well as there is a proposal last year by our mayor!
Old November 14th, 2004, 02:55 AM   #564
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Then just post something more relevant to steer it back loh....

Nov 13, 2004
ComfortDelGro's gains up 68%

Contributions from overseas units boost performance for nine-month period
By Christopher Tan

COMFORTDELGRO Corp, the dominant public transport group here, has posted a two-thirds rise in net earnings for the nine months ended Sept 30.
Heard they recently venture into Malaysia also......eyeing that Number transport operator postition??
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2004, 05:02 AM   #565
ignoramus

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by szehoong
I dun think the govt would be very happy to have all those overhead tram wires as they wouldn't even allow KTMB to install overhead pantograph for its high-speed electric trains to Tanjung Pagar as it deemed unsightly.

So I dun think trams would see the light of day on the streets of Singapore. Actually I am a strong opponent of trams making its way into KL as well as there is a proposal last year by our mayor!
Yeah now that you mentioned it, the Singapore Government does have a strict policy on not overhead wires dangling about on the streets of Singapore, deeming them unsafe and unsightly which I agree if it were done on a large scale.

Still, it would be nice to have a Tram system in One North. After all, its cheap to build and maintain, its less environmentally intrusive, more accessible to people, and if implemented on such a small scale in One North, it won't actually make the environment ugly because of just some wires.

I will never support overhead wires to be seen everywhere in Singapore, thats definitely ugly. But a few wires won't kill the garden image of Singapore.

Then again if the Tram idea is really sadly out, it would be cool to have a Monorail there (cause the area is really very cramped up) or a Driverless Bus system, currently on trials in Japan and in Europe.

Hey hows the Tram project coming along in KL? Has the project been confirmed? Has it been rejected? Details please. Thanks so much.
ignoramus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2004, 05:10 AM   #566
ignoramus

HDB = Multi Modal Transportation Options Available (MRT, Bus, Taxi),
= Amenities & Facilities Available (Neighbourhood Town Centre)
but the garang guni man is very noisy and I feel packed into a block like a sardine in a can.

Condominium = Usually located a bus ride/car ride distance from the MRT. Since its located in the outskirts of an estate, bus services are limited and road traffic a.k.a. taxis are few.
= Far from town centre
but you get to enjoy swimming pool, gym etc facilities with no garang guni man around to disturb the peace.
Old November 14th, 2004, 08:32 AM   #567
redstone
Lurker

Singapore used to have a tram system running in the city about 100 years ago.
Old November 14th, 2004, 05:27 PM   #568
huaiwei
The Monkey King

But Malaysia is a small market lah...I doubt it will propel them that much upwards. They have to buy into a huge market like...China??

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2004, 08:09 PM   #569
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit
Yes, you get rolling wheels.
That is good to know.

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
Old November 15th, 2004, 05:53 AM   #570
ignoramus

We need more pics of Singapore's buses, esp the City Shuttle Service buses, the BusPlus buses and the open top buses.
Old November 15th, 2004, 09:07 PM   #571
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Well...a "few wires" certainly isnt what I would consider good looking as far as Singapore's urbanscape is concerned thou. So long that they have trams with third rail, then I would probably show less opposition to it.

Old November 15th, 2004, 10:57 PM   #572
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstone
Singapore used to have a tram system running in the city about 100 years ago.
Er.....remember that when those trams where running, they are sharing the road with rickshaws and horse carts!

Old November 16th, 2004, 12:35 AM   #573
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
We need more pics of Singapore's buses, esp the City Shuttle Service buses, the BusPlus buses and the open top buses.
But the CSS buses are a remnant of yester year, the Busplus thingy have an unpredictable future, and open top buses? Whats that? The ones operated by Duck tours?

Old November 16th, 2004, 04:30 AM   #574
redstone
Lurker

What's BusPlus?
Old November 16th, 2004, 04:37 AM   #575
redstone
Lurker

You sound like you had seen them before!

Old November 16th, 2004, 07:23 AM   #576
ignoramus

Open top = HippoTours Buses.

Bus Plus = Chartered bus services with a higher degree of comfort than normal buses.

Hmm better capture pics before they are pulled out in the near future...
Old November 16th, 2004, 10:10 AM   #577
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Likes (Received): 2

Time is GMT + 8 hours
Posted: 16 November 2004 1510 hrs

No public transport fare hike for now, despite high oil prices
By Farah Abdul Rahim, Channel NewsAsia

SINGAPORE : There won't be any public transport fare hike for now, despite the high oil prices.

That's because there have been no applications by the transport operators to increase prices.

But there will be a fare review exercise in May next year.

Senior Minister of State for Trade & Industry Dr Vivian Balakrishnan told Parliament that an increase in oil prices will raise the operating costs of the transport operators.

That's because fuel costs form about 10 percent of public transport operating costs.

Dr Vivian gave the reassurance that the Public Transport Council, which will make any decision on fare increases, will consider both the conditions facing both operators and commuters before making any decision.

MPs also called for more government assistance to help households, especially the lower income, cope with higher public utility bills due to higher oil prices.

Dr Vivian said there're sufficient schemes already in place to do so.

"Our general principle is, power is not subsidized in Singapore. Instead, households should conserve energy and make a serious effort to settle bills. If they really need help, they can turn to the community organizations. We don't want to confuse the role of retailer with the government or community organizations," Dr Vivian Balakrishnan said. - CNA

Copyright © 2004 MCN International Pte Ltd
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2004, 02:12 PM   #578
Kit
arkitect

Quote:
That is good to know.
If you are interested, they can be purchased from Comfort Delgro directly. $98 for the twin bus pack and $40+ for the single.
Old November 16th, 2004, 02:15 PM   #579
Kit
arkitect

Quote:
Open top = HippoTours Buses.

Bus Plus = Chartered bus services with a higher degree of comfort than normal buses.

Hmm better capture pics before they are pulled out in the near future...
I don't think the Hippo bus tours will go soon, not when they went through all the trouble to deal with bureaucrats just to get it going. To make LTA happy, they are spending $3k a month to prune trees along the route so that no passengers will get cut bt the branches.
Old November 16th, 2004, 04:00 PM   #580
redstone
Lurker

Hey, anyone took shots of those wooden city buses?

Tags
metro, mrt, singapore