daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 18th, 2004, 09:59 AM   #601
ignoramus

Likes (Received): 4

ya i dont get it. is it the colour or something?
ignoramus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 18th, 2004, 10:01 AM   #602
ignoramus

I agree. Oh btw will there be any further extensions to the starline and putraline and klmonorail?

But the feeling I get is that One North is such a small and packed community that a Tram system would work well cause it would not be implemented on a large scale.
Old November 18th, 2004, 10:11 AM   #603
heirloom

Likes (Received): 2

uh never mind.. as i said.. silly reasons
heirloom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2004, 10:13 AM   #604
ignoramus

now youve gotten me even more curious.
Old November 18th, 2004, 10:47 AM   #605
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 107

actually the color scheme is so typically nationalistic to me
RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2004, 11:07 AM   #606
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

The New Paper - 18 Nov 2004

Kuala Lumpur may adopt ERP to tackle traffic problems

DRIVERS in Singapore have been paying for driving into the city for many years through the electronic road pricing (ERP) scheme.

London introduced a controversial tax on most vehicles entering the city last year.

Now Kuala Lumpur is planning to do the same.

To overcome traffic congestion, City Hall will propose a tax for private vehicles entering the city in the near future, reported Kosmo on Monday.

The automotive tax is being considered as part of plans to:

-Increase revenue

-Solve traffic congestion and

-Reduce air pollution.

It is under study according to the council's recent Kuala Lumpur 2020 Structural Plan Report published recently.

However, details such as when the tax would be implemented were not given.

Kosmo said that if the tax were to be imposed, two-thirds of vehicle users, comprising car, lorry and motorcycle owners, would have to pay a special fee or obtain a specific permit to enter the city.

The paper said while population growth remained at 1.1 per cent between 1980 and 1997, the increase in vehicles averaged 4.2 per cent in the Klang Valley.

In the city centre, there are 211 vehicles for every 1,000 residents, or 210,000 vehicles; and 164 motorcycles for every 1,000 residents.

Copyright © 2004 Singapore Press Holdings Ltd. All rights reserved.
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2004, 11:18 AM   #607
nova
Distant glory

Likes (Received): 1

well, SBS Transit used to be "Singapore Bus Services", what do you expect?
Old November 18th, 2004, 11:23 AM   #608
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 107

yup...hence the red and white, which is nice...

but i thought they were gradually becoming creative with the colours so seeing that pic jolted me somewhat
RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2004, 04:33 PM   #609
Kit
arkitect

Likes (Received): 0

I prefer the old livery and no, I'm not that patriotic.
Kit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2004, 04:40 PM   #610
redstone
Lurker

Likes (Received): 52

Wow, that model is kind of rare...
redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2004, 05:58 PM   #611
ignoramus

SBS Transit must be kind of broke. I think they bought like only 50 or so of them out of an entire fleet size of thousand over vehicles. They are even forced to use the old non air conditioned buses on some routes and no, there are no plans to upgrade these. And almost all buses still use non electronic boards to display service number and route at the front of the bus. No plans to upgrade as yet.

For SMRT Buses, all services are air conditioned. The older buses that are non air conditioned have either already been scrapped or have been installed with air con units. All services also have those electronic Flip Dot displays at the front of the bus, and the older buses without them are being upgraded with them.

Then again, SBS Transit having such a huge fleet size makes it hard for them to upgrade the buses quickly. But HK did it so quick (Wheelchair friendly buses, low floor buses, flip dot electronic displays are the norm). We should quicken up.
Old November 18th, 2004, 06:06 PM   #612
heirloom

isnt sbstransit part of the second largest land transport group in the world? shouldnt it be more uhmm competitive.. why no fuel cell buses
Old November 18th, 2004, 06:16 PM   #613
ignoramus

SBS Transit tested some LNG Buses, don't think they have any concrete plans. Singapore's bus companies are basically following a wait and see approach. See how this new technology fares overseas first, then decide on investing on huge infrastructure projects such as LNG refuelling stations and buses.

We are pretty slow in many areas. Areas which are out of sight of many people. We are pretty advanced economically and in almost everything else, but we lag behind in implementing those supposedly less important areas like wheelchair friendly buses (hk has a lot), tactile guidance systems for the streets of sg (tokyo, seoul, taipei, hk have a lot) and even our ezlink card membership scheme (taipei has one already even though their card launched later).
Old November 18th, 2004, 06:20 PM   #614
heirloom

not to forget our broadband services and e-commerce. which is why i should be dictator
Old November 18th, 2004, 06:24 PM   #615
ignoramus

Ya. I knew you would mentioned that. Thats why I didnt mention it. Was seeing whether my instincts were accurate or not. haha.

Ya economically (business financial centre), education centre, medical centre, biomedical hub, convention hub, petrochemicals hub, aviation hub, shipping hub.

But less impt areas like what we have mentioned take a back seat. Thats where our resources are being diverted to. Like how the esplanade was pushed back and backed until everything was more stable economically. Guess another few years of stable growth and when our long term prospects economically are better like if we find out that our biomed sector is bigger and more stable, we will see your broadband dream come true.

Anyways whats a 1000kbps extra mean anyways, 56k as to 1500k is already a lot to me.
Old November 18th, 2004, 06:34 PM   #616
heirloom

okkkk you're so clever....dsjakldjfad i didnt have you in my mind when i said that nor am i blaming you

as for shipping and aviation hub, sg seems like it was complacent the past few years... resulting in others being able to catch up. ptp and suvarbhanarmiasldkfsja;ldkfjad airport for example.
Old November 18th, 2004, 06:43 PM   #617
ignoramus

ya. we realized where we were too complacent. they should realize that nel, mrt, lrt etc doesnt mean disabled friendly sg. They are not doing anything to the streets of sg as well as to the buses.
Old November 18th, 2004, 06:51 PM   #618
heirloom

we? uh dun really think i account for the complacency... lol

omg can't stop typing lol lol lol

i wonder if sg will follow the rise and fall of venice. getting a bit out of point :p

what do you suggest be done to the streets of sg? i can't really think of much that needs improving other than more sheltered walkways / underground links between mrt stations and busy locations and more roads. tactile guides too probably. maybe that's why i dont see many handicapped people around.
Old November 19th, 2004, 01:55 AM   #619
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Well...but like what sez is saying, its precisely because one north is so small and packed, that I wonder if you should be wasting ground space for a tram system. These folks are richie rich people with big cars ok?

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2004, 12:39 PM   #620
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Business Times - 19 Nov 2004

ComfortDelGro buys London bus and coach operator Armchair

SINGAPORE - ComfortDelgro announced on Friday it will buy a bus and coach operation in London for six million pounds (S$18.4 million).

The acquisition of Armchair Passenger Transport Company, which has a fleet of 86 buses, is the group's second purchase in the United Kingdom. It comes just three months after ComfortDelgro bought bus company FE Thorpe & Sons for 3.03 million pounds.

Chief executive officer Kua Hong Pak said the purchase would consolidate the group's position as one of London's biggest bus and taxi operators.

ComfortDelGro's wholly owned UK bus subsidiary Metroline has a 12 per cent market share in London with a fleet of 1,000 buses plying 82 routes.

The group plans to get half its revenue from abroad within the next four to six years, up from the current 35 per cent.

ComfortDelGro's shares rose after the announcement, advancing 4 cents to $1.47.

Copyright © 2004 Singapore Press Holdings Ltd. All rights reserved.
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
metro, mrt, singapore