daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 24th, 2004, 01:41 PM   #661
ignoramus

Likes (Received): 4

1. 10am and you are out already.
2. At the airport more than twice this month already. So free.
3. I WANT PICS! Pics of the not so common places.

haha
ignoramus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 24th, 2004, 01:44 PM   #662
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignoramus
1. 10am and you are out already.
2. At the airport more than twice this month already. So free.
3. I WANT PICS! Pics of the not so common places.

haha
Aiya it's the school holiday what.........and I went to the airport twice this month mair??

Pictures of not so common places?? I thought I already did that a few months ago.......
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2004, 03:44 PM   #663
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Actually hor...why cant they just impliment a system with a movable central divider?

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2004, 04:07 PM   #664
heirloom

because drivers would get confused and crash!!
heirloom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2004, 07:34 PM   #665
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystan03
Of course loh....My friend reside there (in KL) one mah...... But then again, I'm not very "alone" if you take into consideration that the bus was 100% full.......
Haha...I tot you went there with collegues or something mah.

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
Old November 26th, 2004, 06:02 AM   #666
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Nov 26, 2004
Nicoll Highway to reopen

Motorists can use it next month; damaged 150m stretch repaved
By Christopher Tan
Senior Correspondent

WELL before Santa's sleigh arrives, motorists living on the East Coast will have an easier drive to town for their Christmas shopping.

The 48-year-old Nicoll Highway, closed since April 20 after an MRT tunnelling disaster that killed four and sparked a cave-in, is on schedule to be reopened next month.

Checks by The Straits Times show that the damaged 150m stretch of road has been repaved.

The development will bring cheer to thousands of motorists affected by the closing of an arterial link to the city centre.

Journey times, which have gone up by as much as three times since the collapse, are expected to return to normal.

Said Ms K.Y. Boey, 45, a freelance writer living in the east: 'I used Nicoll Highway to go to Seah Street. Even though it was a longer drive, it was relatively jam-free.

'Since the closure, I've had to use the East Coast Parkway (ECP) and exit at Rochor. It is just horrible, especially during the evening peak hours.'

Repair work on the damaged highway started in late August, and the Land Transport Authority said then that it would be done by the year end.

The job involved sinking 57 piles into the ground, and cost $3 million - making the stretch one of the costliest surface roads ever built here.

All of Nicoll Highway, stretching 3km from Kallang to the city, was built in 1956 for $8 million.

Its reopening will alleviate traffic conditions on the ECP as well as roads in the Kallang area.

But Ms Boey expressed some reservations.

'I may not use it initially,' she said.

'The repaired portion may be very strong, but other points of the highway may have been weakened.'

Meanwhile, the LTA said partially completed MRT tunnels and a station site near Nicoll Highway are being refilled with earth and sand.

Backfilling, it said, will be done along a 700m span from The Plaza to Merdeka Bridge.

'Overall, to date, about 25 per cent of the backfilling work has been completed,' a spokesman said.

'The distance between the Nicoll Highway station and the collapsed area is about 350m.'

The LTA would not comment on a planned realignment of the Circle Line because of the April collapse, merely saying it was 'in discussion with the contractor on the design and construction of the Circle Line tunnels at Nicoll Highway'.

Observers have their own take.

Suggested Mr Leong Sow Hon, an Association of Consulting Engineers Singapore council member who said he had 'no inside information': 'It can be any number of possibilities. They could have found a better alternative to continuing and recovering the previous works in progress.'

Old November 28th, 2004, 01:20 AM   #667
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Aiya it's the school holiday what.........and I went to the airport twice this month mair??

Pictures of not so common places?? I thought I already did that a few months ago.......
Got meh? Aye how come heir came back and still no exclusive airport photos ah?

Old November 28th, 2004, 03:22 AM   #668
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by huaiwei
Got meh? Aye how come heir came back and still no exclusive airport photos ah?
Of course got.......remember the secret passages from T2 to T1(and vice versa) etc.......
Old November 28th, 2004, 09:19 AM   #669
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Of course got.......remember the secret passages from T2 to T1(and vice versa) etc.......
Eh? But that was so long ago leh. I refering to heir coming back recently from Perth mah..didnt take photos of the transit areas?

Old November 28th, 2004, 09:49 AM   #670
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
Eh? But that was so long ago leh. I refering to heir coming back recently from Perth mah..didnt take photos of the transit areas?
I hope Jetstar has some really good offers in December......then I could be the "reporter" for transit areas........
Old November 30th, 2004, 09:43 AM   #671
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Muahaha.....ironic eh....paying dirt cheap fares, and getting to enjoy first class facilities at the world's best airport?

Anyway notice we end up talking about aviation in this thread..hahah!

Old December 1st, 2004, 11:53 AM   #672
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Taxis.........

Last edited by babystan03; December 5th, 2004 at 05:17 AM.
Old December 2nd, 2004, 02:32 AM   #673
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Wah you end up having them as you photographing targets ah?

Old December 2nd, 2004, 12:24 PM   #674
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
Wah you end up having them as you photographing targets ah?
Can't help it......they are right in front of me........
Old December 2nd, 2004, 03:28 PM   #675
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Time is GMT + 8 hours
Posted: 02 December 2004 2033 hrs

Vehicle Entry Permit fees lowered for foreign-registered vehicles
By Johnson Choo, Channel NewsAsia

SINGAPORE : From December 6, foreign motorists will find it cheaper to drive into Singapore during the festive season.

The daily Vehicle Entry Permit (VEP) fees for foreign-registered vehicles will be reduced by $10 to $20 a day.

To make it even more attractive for these drivers, the fixed-price ERP charges will be lowered from $10 to $5 a day.

And till the end of the month, the VEP operating hours on weekdays will also be shortened, so that motorists can enter Singapore without paying for the permit from 12 noon and leave by 2am the following day on weekdays.

There is no need to pay for the permit on weekends and public holidays.

The Singapore Tourism Board said the changes were timely as they coincide with the exciting year-end festive season and peak travel period for many Malaysians.

The STB invites Malaysians to make full use of the longer VEP-free hours during the holiday period to come and enjoy the thrilling line-up of activities during this festive season.

Separately, the Land Transport Authority will put on trial shortened VEP operating hours in January next year.

During this period, the VEP operating hours on Fridays, or Thursday, if Friday is a holiday, will end at 5pm, instead of 7pm.

This is to assess the impact of the change on traffic conditions at the two land checkpoints and roads in the vicinity.

If the trial is successful, LTA will consider implement this scheme on a permanent basis. - CNA

Copyright © 2004 MCN International Pte Ltd
Old December 3rd, 2004, 03:01 AM   #676
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 107

Hows progress of Sentosa monorail?
RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2004, 12:22 PM   #677
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Business Times - 03 Dec 2004

Traffic flows smoothly in Singapore

I WOULD like to thank Alvin Chua Chuan Ann for his letter 'Traffic jams making a comeback' (BT, Nov 23), in which he commented on the traffic situation along Orchard Road, Keppel Road and the Pan-Island Expressway (from the airport towards the city).

Although Orchard Road is well-used, average travel speeds are within the optimal range during the day. However, we are aware that average travel speeds do deteriorate during the evening peak hours. To address this, we are currently reviewing the network around Orchard Road, Grange Road, Somerset Road and Orchard Link, and studying ways to improve the traffic flow within the space constraints we face.

With more motorists using the East Coast Parkway following the closure of Nicoll Highway, traffic flow along Keppel Road, which leads to the ECP, has also become heavier. Repair works for Nicoll Highway are progressing on schedule and we anticipate that the traffic situation along Keppel Road will improve when Nicoll Highway reopens to traffic tomorrow. Traffic flow along Keppel Road will also improve when construction of the flyover along Keppel Road towards the Ayer Rajah Expressway in the direction of Jurong is completed by the end of 2005.

Traffic flow is generally smooth along the west-bound section of the PIE during the morning peak hours, with average travel speeds within the optimal speed range. However, traffic speeds deteriorate if there is heavy rain or an accident.

On the whole, our demand management measures such as ERP and COE systems, good network of expressways and roads, as well as traffic management technology, have kept our roads congestion-free despite our population and land size. We will continue to monitor traffic conditions and implement traffic schemes and road projects to keep our roads smooth-flowing and congestion-free.

Once again, I thank Mr Chua for his feedback and the opportunity to clarify. We welcome calls from your readers on 1800-CALL LTA (1800-2255-582) if they have feedback or suggestions.

Han Liang Yuan (Ms)
Senior manager
Corporate communications
Land Transport Authority

Copyright © 2004 Singapore Press Holdings Ltd. All rights reserved.
Old December 5th, 2004, 05:17 AM   #678
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Citicab......
Old December 5th, 2004, 09:49 AM   #679
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Dec 5, 2004
Nicoll Highway opens after $3m in repairs

AT 1pm yesterday, Nicoll Highway was back in business.

Tourists, construction workers and curious passersby stood on either side of the semi-expressway, cheering as the first vehicle - a white bMercedes-Benz - sped down the newly laid asphalt.

Perhaps because few knew about the re-opening, there were relatively few vehicles on the six-lane highway.

Before parts of it collapsed in April, peak-hour traffic was 2,500 vehicles an hour in each direction.

More than seven months after the tragedy that killed four men, and after a $3 million reconstruction, SBS Transit driver Ng Hun Chew said it's time for a new chapter.

'It was a tragedy, but we have to let it go now. Let's hope that whatever happens on this highway in future will be positive.'

===============

What does this gotta do with tourists????

Old December 5th, 2004, 09:51 AM   #680
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
What does this gotta do with tourists????
Emm.....yesterday we did see some foreigners at the URA centre, perhaps they were the same person.......

Tags
metro, mrt, singapore