daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 5th, 2004, 02:21 PM   #681
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Likes (Received): 2

Time is GMT + 8 hours
Posted: 05 December 2004 1750 hrs

Average monthly income of taxi tour-guides up by nearly 25%

SINGAPORE : More than six months after taxi tour-guides hit Singapore roads, their average income has gone up by some 25 percent.

This income surge has made the taxi tour guide course conducted by the Singapore Taxi Academy very popular - seven classes have been held in the last 3 months.

London cab driver Woo Wee Yeong is one of the first to graduate from the taxi tour-guide course.

Since he hit the roads in April, he gets about one tour deal each fortnight, usually recommendations from friends.

He takes home an extra S$200 or more each month, and this does not include tour guide fees and tips.

And he finds working as a taxi tour-guide less hectic than normal taxi driving.

He said, "Instead of ferrying different passengers, now I just handle the 3 or 5 tourists for a few hours at a go. I take them to tourist places like Chinatown, Little India etc."

Some, like one group of 10 taxi tour-guides, have even banded together to pool their resources.

By far the most organised taxi tour group, they even have a Chinese language website, which attracted over 2,000 visitors.

But there are also taxi guides who have never even clinched a deal, while others take home as much as S$1,000 more each month.

And though over 600 taxi drivers have attended the course, only 61 have so far made the mark.

The Singapore Taxi Academy says it is looking into revising the syllabus to improve standards and at the same time, help more taxi drivers obtain the qualification. - CNA

Copyright © 2004 MCN International Pte Ltd
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 6th, 2004, 02:28 AM   #682
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Dec 6, 2004
Many ditching cabs and buses for trains
Number of trips taken on MRT and LRT every day up by 67.4%, to 1.27m, since 1995

By Christopher Tan
Senior Correspondent

MS IVY Ong, 38, used to be a frequent cab-taker. 'Whenever I went to the gym in town, I'd always take the cab,' the former fashion merchandiser said. 'It was convenient.'

But ever since the North-East Line started running last year, Ms Ong, who is currently between jobs, rarely hails a taxi.

'Although the trip may take a little longer, it costs much less,' said the Serangoon resident, who lives just above Serangoon MRT station.

Ms Ong is not alone. Many Singaporeans are abandoning cabs and buses in favour of trains, statistics from the Land Transport Authority (LTA) reveal.

For the 12 months up to March this year, taxi use was down to 827,000 rides a day, 12 per cent down from the peak figure of 940,000 rides a day eight years ago. There are close to 20,000 taxis on the road here.

Bus use - averaging 2.97 million rides a day - was down nearly 9 per cent compared to its 2000-2001 peak of 3.26 million rides a day.

The story is quite different for trains. The number of trips taken on the MRT and LRT every day has risen by 67.4 per cent - from a modest 760,000 back in 1995 to 1.27 million for the 12 months up to March this year. Associate Professor K. Raguraman of the Centre for Transportation Research, a think-tank at the National University of Singapore, was not entirely surprised at the figures.

'As Singapore expands its rail network, train ridership will rise,' he said. 'And it has been government policy that wherever a rail service is built, there should not be any duplication from buses.'

Singapore currently has about 120km of MRT and LRT tracks, 45 per cent more than in the mid-1990s. The Circle Line, which is set to be ready in 2009, will add about 30km to the system.

If past trends are anything to go by, bus and cab ridership will shrink further. Prof Raguraman said: 'The LTA has stated that the MRT is the backbone of our public transport system.'

Even so, he said the sizeable drop in taxi use was unexpected.

The MRT's popularity is one possible cause. The economic slowdown in recent years, which has made people 'more cost-conscious' and caused them to 'cut down on discretionary (taxi) trips', is another.

Even more worrying is the fact that, while taxi use is falling, the number of taxis on Singapore's roads has risen by nearly 20 per cent since the mid-1990s.

The competition has intensified in recent months with the entry of three new players - Smart Automobile, Premier Taxis and Trans-Cab. But the losers are not the taxi companies.

'This can be a worrying trend for taxi drivers, not so much taxi operators who will still get their rental dues so long as the cars are in demand,' Prof Raguraman noted.

Many drivers lament that monthly earnings have halved, even before the 40 per cent rise in the cost of diesel over the past year. Taxi drivers hand over around $80 a day in rental to the companies and it is not uncommon for them to clock 60- to 65-hour weeks.

Mr C.K. Chan, 52, who has been driving taxis for the past 12 years, said: 'In the market, the average take-home amount is about $1,500 (a month) if you work 10 hours a day. In my case, I make a bit more because I have contract work.'

Cab companies, on the other hand, are not complaining. New players Premier Taxis and Smart Automobile say they are already profitable. 'We made money from Day One,' said Premier chairman Timothy Chua. 'It's an add-on to our car rental business.'

Copyright © 2004 Singapore Press Holdings. All rights reserved.
Old December 6th, 2004, 04:51 PM   #683
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Likes (Received): 4

Dont think they have started construction yet? Another question here....are they going to stop the existing monorail once construction starts or after the new one opens?

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2004, 07:40 PM   #684
ignoramus

Construction had commenced a long time ago. Check the Sentosa Press Release.
ignoramus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2004, 10:13 AM   #685
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Dec 7, 2004
Taxi drivers to promote healthy living

ON TUESDAY, 55 CityCab taxi drivers in Singapore will double up as 'nutrition ambassadors' who will promote the benefits of a healthy eating habit. They will do this by telling their passengers to eat two servings of fruit and two servings of vegetable every day.

During the three-month project, the taxi drivers will also suggest to passengers where to go for healthier meals.

The Health Promotion Board worked with CityCab to conduct a half-day training course for the drivers, who were given 'Nutrition Ambassador' tags for display on their dashboards.

On Dec 7, each passenger of the 55 taxi drivers will be given an apple and a pocket-sized booklet listing 89 restaurants participating in the Healthier Restaurant Programme.

During the month of December, CityCab will also be serving two vegetable dishes and fruit for free to all its drivers and staff.

Copyright © 2004 Singapore Press Holdings. All rights reserved.
Old December 7th, 2004, 01:51 PM   #686
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Buses......

Old December 7th, 2004, 01:57 PM   #687
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Changi Airport skytrain (7/12/04)
Old December 7th, 2004, 03:45 PM   #688
heirloom

the double deck bus looks sleek!
heirloom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2004, 11:06 AM   #689
ignoramus

Wah the Skytrain looks brand new from that angle.
Old December 8th, 2004, 11:08 AM   #690
ignoramus

Is the Skytrain serving transit passengers still operational? It appears from the photo that a section of the track that the Skytrain serving transit passengers is sealed off to allow for the existing system to be integrated with the new system.
Old December 8th, 2004, 11:12 AM   #691
mattverg

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystan03
Looking at this, what do you think the future MRT lines are?? (Exhibit at URA Centre, showing the various regional centre, sub-regional and fringe centres)

IMHO this map isnt exactly obsolete. True enuff, the Seletar Regional Centre doesnt exist, but it corresponds to what is now Sengkang New Town. and the 2001 Concept plan still has the lines as outlined by this earlier map; its just that the re might be slight modifications to the actual lines.

1. The north south line actually makes up part of the outer circle and the circumferential line to woodlands.

2. the circumferential line to seletar now corresponds to the north east line (although in the 2001 concept plan there IS a seletar line planned but there lets use what we already have now, shall we? )

3. the circumferential line to Tampines and jurong eastprobably corresponds to the east west line.

4. the middle radial line most certainly conform to the circle line as we know it. the inner radial line is made up of the nexus of interchanges in the city area comprising of the north south line, east west line and north east line.

5. The outer radial line is made up of the present north south line, the planned north shore line and the planned eastern region line

haha ok i think i've said enuff... time to siam b4 i get bashed up!

mattverg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2004, 11:43 AM   #692
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignoramus
Is the Skytrain serving transit passengers still operational? It appears from the photo that a section of the track that the Skytrain serving transit passengers is sealed off to allow for the existing system to be integrated with the new system.
I think it's still operational.....seems to be sharing the same track for both service(public and the transit one)....
Old December 9th, 2004, 09:58 AM   #693
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Time is GMT + 8 hours
Posted: 08 December 2004 2331 hrs

CityCab taxis equipped with online digital maps

SINGAPORE : Ever spent more than the usual amount of money and time on the road because a cabbie did not know his way about town?

Well, that might soon be a thing of the past. CityCab has spent $23 million to equip its taxis with an online digital map.

With the new Mobile Data Terminal system, passengers will never be lost on the roads again.

The driver just needs to enter a destination into the system and a red line will appear within a few seconds directing him to the precise drop-off point.

The system is also able to automatically mark a passenger's pick-up and drop-off locations each time a call booking job is accepted, making it easier for the driver to plan his route.

The result is a shorter waiting time for the commuter and a fuss-free journey.

Mr Quek Pat Fatt, CityCab Taxi Driver, said: "With the new system, we can find our destination in five to seven minutes whereas the old system took us 15 to 20 minutes. The time-saving allows us to ferry another customer."

New cabbies are also more confident on the road with the handy map system.

Mr Bernard Fong, CityCab Taxi Driver, said: "I have been driving a cab for only three months and I am still unfamiliar with the roads. This new system gives me more confidence to ferry passengers."

All CityCab drivers will have to go through a four-hour training session to familiarise themselves with the new system.

Currently, 2,200 cabs have this digital guide and CityCab plans to install the system in all 5,200 of its cabs by March next year. - CNA

Copyright © 2004 MCN International Pte Ltd
Old December 9th, 2004, 10:57 AM   #694
playboy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Some older photos

playboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2004, 12:10 PM   #695
ignoramus

Those are superb photos playboy! Any more? Where did you get them from?

It seemed weird seeing the MRT map displaying only one short and straight MRT line.

And it seemed weird seeing those first generation trains looking all clean and sleek and white and just 100% good looking.
Old December 9th, 2004, 12:57 PM   #696
hkmember
HKM-Member

they really should put chinese in the trains and stations

lets face it, most of the ppl interviewed on Asia news channel ( i got da reception at home on cable TV ) are in Putonghua.

And really the recent exclusion of Chinese language scores in the Uni admission scheme is just outrageous
hkmember no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2004, 12:59 PM   #697
hkmember
HKM-Member

btw, LEDs are preferred to plasma for fixed displays

coz fixed displays would burn into the plasma... maybe they should use the plasmas to play ads or have screensaver intermissions in between lea
Old December 9th, 2004, 01:44 PM   #698
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkmember
they really should put chinese in the trains and stations

lets face it, most of the ppl interviewed on Asia news channel ( i got da reception at home on cable TV ) are in Putonghua.

And really the recent exclusion of Chinese language scores in the Uni admission scheme is just outrageous
You might be delighted to know that they are now reintroducing multilingual signs to all rail stations by next year, which will mean having names and important signages in English, Mandarin and Tamil. Malay is not included, because most of its spelling is similar to English anyway.

The CNA you watched on your local channel might be a localised version. CNA in Singapore, which is its birthplace, is actually predominantly English.

As for the exclusion of Chinese requirements for uni admission, well, I wasent supportive of the move either!

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
Old December 9th, 2004, 02:44 PM   #699
hkmember
HKM-Member

its nice to hear that they are introducing signs

to my understanding its not only chinese, its like you have to include your mother tongue as part of admission ... actually i think its actually important to have your native lang gauged, but I suppose as ppl in Singapore say, learning without exams is actually more effective when it comes to learning Mandarin
Old December 9th, 2004, 03:16 PM   #700
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkmember
its nice to hear that they are introducing signs

to my understanding its not only chinese, its like you have to include your mother tongue as part of admission ... actually i think its actually important to have your native lang gauged, but I suppose as ppl in Singapore say, learning without exams is actually more effective when it comes to learning Mandarin
Yeah...although I would love it if they can reintroduce multi-lingual voiced messages and annoucements too.

Tags
metro, mrt, singapore