daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 25th, 2004, 12:57 AM   #741
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Likes (Received): 4

Er...u might wish to click on the "history" of that page to find out who contributed!

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 25th, 2004, 02:31 AM   #742
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmin
Anyone seen the MRT entry in wikipedia? a lot of stuff there. Who wrote it??

Wonder what the author meant by Punggol Line Extension. Does he mean NorthShore Line or the extension to Pulau Ubin?
I think I know who.........
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2004, 01:45 PM   #743
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

28 December 2004

SBS Transit buys 150 new Volvo double-decker buses for S$60m
By Derek Cher, Channel NewsAsia

SINGAPORE : A new fleet of double deckers could hit the roads by the second half of next year.

SBS Transit has ordered 150 new double-deck buses from Swedish truck maker Volvo at a cost of S$60 million.

The public bus operator says the new buses will be used to replace its existing older ones.

SBS has around 2,700 buses, of which 66 percent are made by Volvo.

This purchase is significant for Volvo, as it marks the first major order for its new double-deck chassis.

Volvo says the 150 chassis will be built in Sweden, while the bodies will be manufactured in Singapore by ComfortDelGro Engineering.

Delivery of the complete buses will begin in August next year.

And this will continue for 12 months before SBS receives all 150 double-deckers. - CNA

Copyright © 2004 MCN International Pte Ltd
Old December 29th, 2004, 02:00 PM   #744
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Business Times - 29 Dec 2004

LTA to build $436 million Boon Lay MRT extension

SINGAPORE - The Land Transport Authority (LTA) will be extending the East West Line from Boon Lay Station westwards into the Jurong Industrial Estate.

The extended network will enhance public transport system for residents in Jurong West Town area and those working in the Jurong and Tuas industrial estates.

Known as Boon Lay MRT Extension (BLE) which will be fully-elevated with two MRT stations will add another 3.8-km to the existing East West Line.

The BLE One station will be built at Jurong West Street 63, between Jurong Street 61 and Pioneer Road North, and the other station at Joo Koon Circle, near the junction of Benoi Road and International Road.

The overall project cost will be about S$436 million and construction is targeted to start in the second half of 2005 and is expected to complete in 2009.

To facilitate the construction of BLE, one full lot and eight part lots, totalling about 28,000 square metres of land will be acquired.

Copyright © 2004 Singapore Press Holdings Ltd. All rights reserved.
Old December 29th, 2004, 02:45 PM   #745
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystan03
Double deck bus(10/12/04):
Haha...tell that to the bus driver too!

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
Old December 30th, 2004, 06:06 AM   #746
ignoramus

Last edited by ignoramus; January 1st, 2005 at 11:10 AM.
ignoramus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2004, 06:18 AM   #747
redstone
Lurker

Likes (Received): 52

What does CG stand for?
redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2004, 06:48 AM   #748
km-sh
Chinese

Likes (Received): 3

I think most Singaporeans can't speak Chinese.

Beijing topic[北京专题] Shanghai topic[上海专题] Fuzhou topic[福州专辑]
Kunming Topic[昆明专辑] airports pics of China[中国机场]

○ ◢■■◣ ◢■■◣ ◢■■◣ ◢■■■
○    ■ ■  ■ ■  ■ ■   
○ ◢■■◤ ■  ■ ■  ■ ■■■◣
○ ■    ■  ■ ■  ■    ■
○ ◥■■■ ◥■■◤ ◥■■◤ ■■■◤
km-sh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2004, 08:48 AM   #749
ignoramus

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstone
What does CG stand for?
It stands for Changi and these alphanumeric characters are used to denote each station on the Changi Airport MRT Extension.

I have no idea why they still call it part of the East West Line when its obvious its a branch line off Tanah Merah Station.
Old December 30th, 2004, 08:50 AM   #750
ignoramus

Quote:
Originally Posted by km-sh
What made you say that and why?

Chinese Singaporeans generally can speak chinese, its just a matter of the standard of chinese being spoken and their willingness to speak it.
Old December 30th, 2004, 10:55 AM   #751
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by km-sh
I teaching Chinese in Singapore btw..........
Old December 30th, 2004, 11:03 AM   #752
playboy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Expanding The Rail Network: LTA To Build Boon Lay MRT Extension

To enhance the public transport system for residents in Jurong West Town area and those working in the Jurong and Tuas industrial estates, the Land Transport Authority (LTA) will be extending the East West Line from Boon Lay Station westwards into the Jurong Industrial Estate.

This project, known as Boon Lay MRT Extension (BLE) for short, will add another 3.8-km to the existing East West Line. The BLE will be fully-elevated with two MRT stations. One station will be built at Jurong West Street 63, between Jurong Street 61 and Pioneer Road North, and the other station at Joo Koon Circle, near the junction of Benoi Road and International Road. Please see Annex for alignment and station locations.

The overall project cost will be about S$436 million. Construction is targeted to start sometime in the second half of 2005 and is expected to complete in 2009. Tenders for the contract are expected to be called in the first half of 2005.

Improvements to Public Transport System in Jurong West

Currently, the public transport needs of the residents in Jurong West Town area and those working in the Jurong Industrial Estate are served by the Boon Lay MRT Station and Boon Lay bus interchange. With the expected developments planned for the Jurong region, the demand for public transport service will increase.

Mr Ho Meng Kit, Chief Executive, Land Transport Authority said, "The BLE will therefore greatly improve the public transport system in the Jurong area to meet current and future demand for public transport travel. For example, instead of having to make a transfer via a bus service to get to Boon Lay MRT Station, residents in the south western part of Jurong West will be able to access the MRT system more directly with a new MRT station in Jurong West Street 63. Travel time for people working in the Jurong Industrial Estate is also expected to be reduced by up to 15 minutes. This improvement will make it more convenient for people travelling to work in the area."

Land Required

To facilitate the construction of BLE, one full lot and eight part lots, totalling about 28,000 square metres of land will be acquired. The listing of affected lots to be acquired will be gazetted today. Owners, who are affected, will be notified of the land acquisition separately by Singapore Land Authority.
playboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2004, 11:10 AM   #753
playboy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

i didn't known what the name of two new MRT station. Can you give the stations name please.
playboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2004, 11:52 AM   #754
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Originally Posted by playboy
i didn't known what the name of two new MRT station. Can you give the stations name please.
"Station 1" and "Station 2"?

Anyway, the gap between the two stations seems rather large. Maybe they should add provisions for a new station in the middle?

Old December 30th, 2004, 11:58 AM   #755
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstone
So few stations in such a big island?
Precisely....only 3 stations on the island. They just want people to take buses instead I suppose. Idiots.

Old December 30th, 2004, 01:52 PM   #756
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Business Times - 30 Dec 2004

ComfortDelgro makes 5th investment in Chengdu

SINGAPORE- ComfortDelGro is partnering one of Chengdu's largest transport operators to operate long-distance and inter-province bus services, taxi services and automotive repair services.

The new joint venture company, Chengdu ComfortDelGro Chang Yun Transportation will operate a fleet of 218 long-distance /tour buses and 45 taxis in the capital city of Sichuan Province.

Of the 218 buses, 112 are long-distance buses and 106 are tour buses.

It will also operate a workshop to undertake not just regular repair and servicing works, but also major repairs and engine overhaul.

The new joint venture, in which ComfortDelGro has a 60 per cent stake, represents the Group's first major foray into China's long-distance bus market.

Chengdu ComfortDelGro Chang Yun Transportation will have an initial registered capital of some S$20 million.

ComfortDelGro's joint venture partner, Sichuan Chengdu Long-Distance Bus, will contribute the remaining 40 per cent in the form of bus and taxi licences and other operating assets.

Copyright © 2004 Singapore Press Holdings Ltd. All rights reserved.
Old December 30th, 2004, 03:36 PM   #757
kenmin
SingaporeRail

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignoramus
It stands for Changi and these alphanumeric characters are used to denote each station on the Changi Airport MRT Extension.

I have no idea why they still call it part of the East West Line when its obvious its a branch line off Tanah Merah Station.
You already answered it yourself. It's only a branch.
kenmin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2004, 03:43 PM   #758
kenmin
SingaporeRail

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by playboy
It's rather strange that LTA didn't even give proper working names to the stations. Prior to the announcement, I named them Yunnan and Joo Koon. Not sure if Yunnan is still suitable as I have expected the station to be further west to the one chosen.
kenmin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2004, 10:22 AM   #759
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by huaiwei
Haha...tell that to the bus driver too!
Duwan......they always drive so slow one.......
Old January 1st, 2005, 11:10 AM   #760
ignoramus

Last edited by ignoramus; January 10th, 2005 at 11:38 AM.

Tags
metro, mrt, singapore