daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 10th, 2004, 01:29 PM   #61
heirloom

Likes (Received): 2

ooh my...

they must have suddenly decided red is sexier... they too must know that red is a more appetising colour? so they can't fine me for eating on train...
heirloom no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 10th, 2004, 01:30 PM   #62
eyetoeye
deceased

Likes (Received): 0

I would like to see all-white buses and LRT cars that have that sleek, shiny, synthetic polymer-ish look of Apple iMacs....

"All I want is a warm bed, a kind word, and unlimited power." - Ashleigh Brilliant
eyetoeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2004, 01:34 PM   #63
heirloom

white generally doesn't look good on most vehicles (except mercedes) come to perth and you'll know what i mean..

for the newer double deck buses iwth black tinted windows, white MAY work though...

solid colours work best i think but not khaki
Old May 10th, 2004, 01:41 PM   #64
eyetoeye
deceased

How about black? Muahahahaha! Black and white rule!!!!

Ayah... as long as it has that shiny, sleek look, anything goes...

"All I want is a warm bed, a kind word, and unlimited power." - Ashleigh Brilliant
Old May 10th, 2004, 01:45 PM   #65
heirloom

i dont think it's currently feasible to replicate that iMac skin look on a vehicle... but i'd love one!
Old May 10th, 2004, 01:51 PM   #66
eyetoeye
deceased

Yeah... maybe they'll do it if Apple decides to do an advertisement on one of the double deckers..... *ray of hope shines through the dark clouds as E2E beams with euphoric relief*

Old May 10th, 2004, 02:52 PM   #67
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

SMRT to spend $2.5m on rebranding exercise for trains, buses and taxis

Time is GMT + 8 hours
Posted: 10 May 2004 1920 hrs

By Ken Teh, Channel NewsAsia

TIBS buses and taxis are getting a makeover as parent company SMRT gives the vehicles a new coat of paint and new corporate names.

The move will also effectively remove the TIBS brand from Singapore's roads.

SMRT is spending $2.5 million on the rebranding exercise - but will commuters end up footing the bill?

Four months ago, SMRT's frontline staff were given a new look: lilac shirts and orchid pink blouses.

Now their trains, buses and taxis - are going to be painting the town red.

For the public transport operator, it is all about creating that one consistent look and identity.

Over 800 TIBS buses, along with about 2,000 taxis and about 100 MRT and LRT trains are going for a makeover.

This is all part of SMRT's move to adopt a common brand but all this will come at a cost of $2.5 million.

However SMRT, the island's biggest train operator, says the cost is minimal and will not be passed to commuters.

Choo Chiau Beng, Chairman, SMRT Corporation, said; "$2.5m is only 0.2 percent of SMRT's revenue so we're doing it in a very low cost way. The amount of unity it can achieve, cost synergies it can achieve will more than make up for the small amount we're going to spend."

The buses will be repainted over two years, while it will take half that time to give the taxis and trains their new look. - CNA

Copyright © 2004 MCN International Pte Ltd
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2004, 08:07 PM   #68
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Likes (Received): 4

Hmm...so that is what the huge profits are for eh? Making us remember they are from the same company!

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2004, 01:46 AM   #69
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by huaiwei
Hmm...so that is what the huge profits are for eh? Making us remember they are from the same company!
There goes my tibs bus......it actually has an association with my life in JC....I should try to take a photo of it before it's gone.....!!!!!
Old May 11th, 2004, 02:17 AM   #70
heirloom

i wouldn't consider something like 40 or 50 million to be huge profit for a company like SMRT...
Old May 11th, 2004, 02:59 PM   #71
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

SMRT may consult and invest in MRT systems of two Asian cities

Time is GMT + 8 hours
Posted: 10 May 2004 2305 hrs

By Ken Teh, Channel NewsAsia

Transport group SMRT is offering consultancy services to Asian countries which are building their own mass rapid transit systems.

And while it is still too early to say, the company has not ruled out investing in these projects as well.

Choo Chiau Beng, Chairman, SMRT Corporation, said: "We are doing one job which currently is in progress but it's too premature to tell you, just that it's two of the most popular cities in Asia. We are working with parties there to see how we can leverage on our expertise and experience gained in Singapore and help them and also benefit ourselves."

And to further strengthen and leverage on its brand name abroad and in Singapore, SMRT has just unveiled a new rebranding exercise.

At a cost of $2.5 million, the company's TIBS buses and taxis, as well as its MRT and LRT trains will be rebranded under the SMRT name and given a makeover.

But SMRT says that this cost is minimal - less than 1 percent of its operating costs - and will not be passed on to commuters. - CNA

Copyright © 2004 MCN International Pte Ltd
Old May 11th, 2004, 07:05 PM   #72
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloom
i wouldn't consider something like 40 or 50 million to be huge profit for a company like SMRT...
If you check out their previous profit margins...it isnt a small sum...

Heck..so it costs them "just" $2.5 million to do their makeover. That leaves them with a lot of cash left...

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
Old May 11th, 2004, 07:10 PM   #73
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
If you check out their previous profit margins...it isnt a small sum...

Heck..so it costs them "just" $2.5 million to do their makeover. That leaves them with a lot of cash left...
Since $2.5 million is a small sum to them....why don't they pass it to me??haha.......

They are planning to invest in the region....without good profits they won't be able to do so.....
Old May 11th, 2004, 08:31 PM   #74
heirloom

please invest in more rail lines locally...
Old May 11th, 2004, 09:20 PM   #75
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystan03
Since $2.5 million is a small sum to them....why don't they pass it to me??haha.......

They are planning to invest in the region....without good profits they won't be able to do so.....
They should...soon u will have SMRT look alikes all over Asia....?

Old May 11th, 2004, 09:22 PM   #76
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
They should...soon u will have SMRT look alikes all over Asia....?
I don't think it will look alike cept it will be managed by SMRT....and i bet they will use a local name.......
Old May 11th, 2004, 09:38 PM   #77
huaiwei
The Monkey King

But when HK's MTR invested in Delhe....they have the exact same train!

Old May 12th, 2004, 12:17 AM   #78
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Heavier cars OK at HDB carparks

By Christopher Tan

THE larger Jaguars, Mercedes-Benzes, BMWs and other vehicles weighing up to 2,000kg can now park in the 670 HDB carparks.

The Housing Board has amended a decades-old weight limit rule which allowed only empty vehicles of up to 1,500kg to do so.

The problem: This barred up to one-fifth of Singapore's 406,000 passenger cars, which weigh more than that.

The HDB said the new weight limit, which came into force last Saturday, applies whether a vehicle is empty or fully occupied.

'They've finally done it,' Motor Traders Association vice-president Michael Wong said. 'The association has actually approached them on this a few times in recent months. At last they've revised the limit.'

An HDB spokesman said the change was made to 'take into account the increasing weight of vehicles arising from changes in industry standards'.

The new limit covers most vehicles on the road today, but there are still several models of cars which go beyond 2,000kg, such as the bigger sport-utility vehicles and fully-occupied multi-purpose vehicles. Some even weigh more than 2,500kg.

Meanwhile, the Traffic Police are still mulling over their weight limit for a Class 3 driving licence. This class allows you to drive cars and light commercial vehicles that do not weigh more than 2,500kg.

But according to the Land Transport Authority, about 60 passenger cars here exceed that limit. These include some Rolls-Royces and Bentleys.

Old May 12th, 2004, 04:28 AM   #79
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
But when HK's MTR invested in Delhe....they have the exact same train!
Really ah....haha.....perhaps thats why we might be different(from HK).....haha.....

Anyway, it still early to say as they are just in planning stage only......
Old May 12th, 2004, 05:11 AM   #80
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

New Mercedes E-class cabs to go on the road

MAY 12, 2004

By Christopher Tan

CITYCAB is buying 124 new Mercedes-Benz E-class cars to replace its fleet of ageing luxury cabs.

The E220 CDI model sedans are scheduled to arrive by the end of the year.

CityCab was the first taxi operator here to put Mercedes cabs on the road. It began with 30 E300s eight years ago and now has 270 Mercs in its fleet of 5,220 taxis.

Sister company Comfort has 86 Mercedes cabs, while rival SMRT Taxis has 300.

'Some of the Mercs are being replaced because they will be reaching their statutory lifespan of eight years,' said a ComfortDelGro spokesman.

'In other cases, we have found that it is not economical to maintain the vehicles and have, therefore, opted to scrap them.'

CityCab is the first taxi company to order the new model E-class, which was introduced here two years ago. Its purchase of 124 cars is believed to be the single biggest order for Mercs in Singapore.

Each car costs twice what a Japanese-model taxi does, and CityCab is spending about $20 million on the replacements.

The proliferation of Mercedes taxis has not affected the appeal of the three-pointed star among car buyers - the make is the top luxury marque here, with the E-class being the top model. However, they have all but stopped ordering cars in white, a favourite colour before the cabs hit the road.

CityCab's purchase will be followed by an all-round buying frenzy among cab operators when the Government deregulates the industry fully next month.

SMRT Taxis plans to add 1,000 more cabs to its fleet of about 2,100 this year. The new players - Trans-Cab, Smart and Premier Taxi - aim to have 400 to 500 cabs each by the end of the year, up from the 130 to 160 each now.

Toyota distributor Borneo Motors, the leading taxi supplier here, is bracing to cope with the flurry of orders. Its spokesman said it would try its best to meet the demand.

While the new taxi operators are apprehensive that they might not get all the cars they would like, there is unlikely to be a shortage of drivers.

'There are still many waiting in the queue,' said Mr Teo Kiang Ang, managing director of Union Energy, the owner of Trans-Cab.

Mr Johnny Ang, executive director of Smart, said it had 300 drivers on its waiting list.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright @ 2004 Singapore Press Holdings. All rights reserved.

Tags
metro, mrt, singapore