daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 10th, 2005, 11:29 AM   #801
ignoramus

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ailiton
Yeah I believe the taller guy is you but which one is ignoramus? The indian girl touching your back or the little guy standing near the doors?
haha. I am actually no where inside the pictures at all.
ignoramus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 10th, 2005, 11:29 AM   #802
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Yeah I believe the taller guy is you but which one is ignoramus? The indian girl touching your back or the little guy standing near the doors?
Er...actually I dont think he is me. My hair isnt that long, and I dont remember wearing that shirt that day! Dont think ignore is in the picture either...

Anyway, you saw my photo before?

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2005, 11:39 AM   #803
ailiton
Toffy

Likes (Received): 1

Nevermind. I first thought both of you were in that picture.

And yes, I have seen your picture.
ailiton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2005, 11:41 AM   #804
ignoramus

Last edited by ignoramus; January 11th, 2005 at 03:09 AM.
Old January 10th, 2005, 02:32 PM   #805
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Likes (Received): 2

10 January 2005

Punggol LRT East, SengKang LRT West loops to start service on Jan 29
By Wong Siew Ying, Channel NewsAsia

SINGAPORE : The wait is over for many Punggol residents - in more ways than one - with the partial opening on January 29 of Singapore's third Light Rapid Transit, the Punggol LRT.

More stations along the SengKang LRT system will also start ferrying passengers.

It is a journey 36-year-old Seah Beng Huat knows well - a comfortable ride on the North-East Line, followed by the long wait for a feeder bus service to take him home.

But all that is set to change.

He moved to Punggol last April and now looks forward to a smooth LRT ride to his door step.

Mr Seah said: "During the peak hour, it is terrible. The bus service here, they do not come frequently and the crowd is terrible, we used to wait about 15 to 20 minutes for every bus."

Over 8,000 rides are expected to ply the Punggol LRT East loop daily, serving about 15,000 residents.

SBS Transit took over the $354 million line from the Land Transport Authority in December last year.

After numerous trial runs, it has decided to phase in the opening of the Punggol LRT with the East loop being the first to go.

But only six stations - Punggol, Cove, Meridian, Coral Edge, Riviera and Kadaloor - will be opened, while the remaining two - Oasis and Damai, along with the West loop stations at less populated areas - will operate at a later date.

Separately, the SengKang West loop will also be up and running. It is expected to make up to 5,000 rides daily, offering a more convenient mode of transport to 11,000 residents in the western part of the neighbourhood.

It will complement the existing SengKang East loop service, with five additional stations - Thanggam, Fernvale, Layar, Tongkang and Rejong - along the west route.

However, Cheng Lim, Farmway and Kupang stations will only be opened later.

Still, SBS Transit have done enough homework to ride out the kinks.

Mr Ong Boon Leong, Chief Operating Officer of SBS Transit, said: "By and large, the experience we have over the last two years operating the SengKang East Loop and now we are operating a similar system, has given us a lot of confidence in that area, so while it will never be 100 percent from day one, we expect a very high level of reliability."

The opening of the Punggol East and SengKang West loops will result in some minor changes to the bus network system in these areas.

From March 12, Service number 84 and 371 will be withdrawn, and commuters can expect to save up to 10 minutes if they use the LRT.

Mr Vincent Loh, Director of Service Development at SBS Transit, said: "The other services have less parallel with the LRT, and basically Service 371 and 84, they provide intra-town movement which is what the LRT is supposed to do."

The operating hours for both Punggol East and SengKang West loops will be from 5.20am to 12.35am.

Fares will be pegged to distance, similar to the existing fare structure.

Adult ez-link card fares for the Punggol East loop will be set at 64 cents amd single trip fares using the standard ticket will cost 80 cents.

For the Sengkang West loop, adult ez-link card fares will be 64 cents and single trip fares using the standard tickets will be 80 cents.

Fares for travel beyond the West Loop to the East Loop, will range between 64 cents and 84 cents for adult ez-link card, and between 80 cents and $1 for the standard ticket. - CNA

Copyright © 2004 MCN International Pte Ltd
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2005, 08:32 PM   #806
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Nevermind. I first thought both of you were in that picture.

And yes, I have seen your picture.
I dont blame you for thinking that thou...even I myself was mislead at first!

Goodness...my photo must be all over this forums by now. Then again, my face is appearing with every new post anyway!

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
Old January 10th, 2005, 09:22 PM   #807
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Punggol LRT and Sengkang LRT West Loop to Commence Revenue Service on 29 January 2005

Residents in Punggol and West Sengkang will have reason to cheer when the Punggol LRT and Sengkang LRT (West Loop) commence revenue service on 29 January 2005.

PUNGGOL LRT:

Phased Opening

The Punggol LRT will be opened in phases with the first six stations along the East Loop to start first. They are Punggol, Cove, Meridian, Coral Edge, Riviera and Kadaloor.

The remaining two stations – Oasis and Damai – as well as the seven stations along the West Loop will be opened at a later date when the area surrounding these stations are more developed.

The Punggol LRT was handed over to SBS Transit by the Land Transport Authority on 1 December 2004.

Fares
The fares for Punggol LRT will be pegged to distance and similar to the existing fare structure of Sengkang LRT. However, given the number of stations covered in the East Loop, adult ez-link card fares for the East Loop will be set at 64 cents and single trip fares using the Standard Ticket will cost 80 cents.

Operation Details
The operating hours for the Punggol LRT East Loop will be from 5.20am to 12.35am. From 5.20am to 3pm, it will operate in the clockwise direction from Kadaloor Station in the direction of Punggol Town Centre. From 3pm to 12.35am, it will operate in the anti-clockwise direction from Punggol Town Centre in the direction of Cove Station. This will allow commuters to be brought from the developed areas to Punggol Station in the shortest time in the peak flow direction.

SBS Transit will monitor and review the arrangement and make any changes if the need arises.

Service frequency will be 4 minutes for the peak hours and 6 minutes for the off peak hours.

SENGKANG LRT (WEST LOOP):

Five Stations To Open First
The West Loop has eight stations comprising Cheng Lim, Farmway, Kupang, Thanggam, Fernvale, Layar, Tongkang and Renjong. Of the eight, Cheng Lim, Farmway and Kupang stations will be opened at a later date due to the lack of housing developments in the vicinity.

Fares
Within the Sengkang LRT West Loop, adult ez-link card fares will be 64 cents and single trip fares using the Standard Ticket will be 80 cents. For travel beyond the West Loop to the East Loop, the fares will range between 64 cents and 84 cents for adult ez-link card and between 80 cents and one dollar for the Standard Ticket.

Operation Details
For the Sengkang LRT West Loop, the operating hours will be from 5.20am to 12.35am. From 5.20am to 3pm, it will operate in the anti-clockwise direction from Thanggam Station in the direction of Sengkang Town Centre. From 3pm to 12.35am, it will operate in the clockwise direction from Sengkang Town Centre in the direction of Renjong Station. In this way, commuters from the developed area will be brought to Sengkang Town Centre in the shortest time in the peak flow direction.

SBS Transit will also monitor and review the arrangement and make any changes if the need arises.

Service frequency will be 4.5 minutes for the peak hours and 7 minutes for the off peak hours.

BUS SERVICE CHANGES

With the commencement of revenue service for Punggol LRT East Loop and Sengkang LRT West Loop, there will be additional capacity for intra-town movements given the existing bus network. As a result, the bus service network in both towns will be slightly changed, taking care to minimise any inconvenience caused to residents and ensuring that the capacity is adequate to meet demand.

To allow residents more time to familarise themselves with the Punggol LRT East Loop and Sengkang LRT West Loop, the bus rationalisation will only be implemented at the start of the school holidays on Saturday 12 March 2005, some six weeks after the start of both loops.

Punggol LRT East Loop
A network of six bus services including 3, 62, 82, 83, 84 and 136 as well as NEL at Punggol Station currently serves Punggol Town. Of these bus services, only Service 84 will be withdrawn as it is routed along the alignment of the Punggol LRT East Loop (see attached Map 1). Service 84’s withdrawal would not affect existing passengers along Punggol Central as Services 3 and 83 are still available for connection to the Punggol Interchange/Station. Passengers boarding along Punggol Field will be able to take the LRT or the alternative Service 62 to Punggol Interchange/Station.

Sengkang LRT West Loop
Currently, there are three bus services namely 163, 371 and 372 serving the developed areas in Sengkang West Loop. Of the three bus services, only Service 371 will be withdrawn as it duplicates the Sengkang LRT West Loop extensively (see attached Map 2). In response to feedback from the residents, Service 163 will be slightly amended to use Fernvale Lane enroute so that passengers who travel between Fernvale area and Punggol Road and Sengkang East Way will have a shorter walk to the bus stop. Service 372 will not be affected.

FAMILIARISATION VISITS

Leading up to revenue service of Punggol LRT East Loop and Sengkang LRT West Loop, familiarisation visits including train rides were conducted for Advisors to Grassroots Organisations and grassroots leaders from Punggol North, Punggol Central and Jalan Kayu constituencies on 8 January 2005. Similar visits will also be organised in the following weeks for senior citizens and school children from the two areas prior to commencement of revenue service.

On the opening of Punggol LRT East Loop and Sengkang LRT West Loop, Mr Ong Boon Leong, Chief Operating Officer, SBS Transit said, “We are pleased to be able to start our LRT service on the Punggol LRT East Loop and the Sengkang LRT West Loop. We certainly hope that the residents in both areas will benefit from the start of the service. While it is difficult to have a perfect system from Day One, we are confident that we will be able to achieve a high level of reliability given the extensive testing and our experience with the Sengkang LRT East Loop.”

Old January 11th, 2005, 03:09 AM   #808
ignoramus

Last edited by ignoramus; January 15th, 2005 at 05:55 PM.
Old January 11th, 2005, 04:19 AM   #809
ignoramus

Jan 11, 2005
Punggol LRT set to roll
Start date is Jan 29, but only eastern loop and 5 out of 7 stations will open

By Christopher Tan
SENIOR CORRESPONDENT

THE Punggol LRT will start rolling on Jan 29, but trains will ply on only the eastern loop and stop at just five out of seven stations deemed to have enough commuter traffic.

On the same day, operator SBS Transit will start serving residents living along the western loop of the Sengkang LRT - two years after the line opened - as 'ridership on our buses' plying this loop has trebled in the last two years.

SBS Transit chief operating officer Ong Boon Leong said he expects the number of commuters on this loop to be 'between 3,000 and 5,000 a day'. Trains will still skip the first three stops, located in underpopulated spots of this loop.

Fares for both loops are capped at 64 cents for ez-link card holders because of the limited number of stations open. A standard ticket costs 80 cents.

The way the Punggol LRT is starting - one loop, some stops skipped - reprises the Sengkang line's start. Punggol's western loop currently runs through an undeveloped stretch flanked by the Punggol marina at Punggol End.

Mr Ong reckons that Punggol commuters living near the five stations will have their travelling time shaved by two to five minutes. In March, bus services 84 and 371 will be removed, as these duplicate the new train services that provide intra-town commute.

SBS Transit, a subsidiary of transport giant ComfortDelGro, entered the rail business in 2003 with the operation of the North-East MRT Line and Sengkang LRT east loop.

It has been losing money on the trains as demand for housing in Sengkang and Punggol, as well as other new towns, has not been as high as urban planners had anticipated.

In the first year, ComfortDelGro incurred a $42 million loss on its rail business. But research house Citigroup Smith Barney forecasts that the group's rail losses would fall to $18 million for the year ended 2004, $14 million for this year and $9 million next year.

Mr Ong said daily ridership on the North-East Line is now 'close to 190,000', from under 170,000 when the trains started running. Its break-even number is 250,000.

He indicated that the operating cost of its entire rail business is in excess of $70 million a year, with the LRT accounting for $12 million.

At yesterday's preview for the press, SBS Transit warned commuters not to expect the Punggol LRT to be 'perfect'. However, as its operation of the Sengkang line has been '99.92 per cent' fault-free, Mr Ong is confident the new services will be highly reliable.
Old January 11th, 2005, 10:00 AM   #810
gakei
GAKEI.com | EHK

Likes (Received): 13

[ More Photos ... ]

gakei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2005, 01:06 PM   #811
ignoramus

Impressive shots! The picture quality is by far one of the best that I have seen so far! You visited Singapore recently I see, and toured most of our different train systems. Thanks for your contribution. . Tell us more about your visit.
Old January 11th, 2005, 01:12 PM   #812
ailiton
Toffy

Anyone has a recording of MRT's door chime?
Old January 11th, 2005, 01:15 PM   #813
ignoramus

I may or may not have it. Will have to browse through my C: but I will certainly message you when I do find it. Okay?
Old January 11th, 2005, 01:18 PM   #814
ailiton
Toffy

Thanks very much. But can you tell me quick how it sounds like?
Old January 11th, 2005, 02:55 PM   #815
gakei
GAKEI.com | EHK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignoramus
Impressive shots! The picture quality is by far one of the best that I have seen so far! You visited Singapore recently I see, and toured most of our different train systems. Thanks for your contribution. . Tell us more about your visit.
Yes ... actually I followed my friend to go there but she needed to meet her own friend. Therefore when I was alone I went to different MRT and LRT stations and bus terminals for photos. If my sole purpose was to take photo I would choose summer to go, since it was raining for all 4 days that I stayed *_*
Old January 11th, 2005, 05:03 PM   #816
kenmin
SingaporeRail

Hope someone will make something like this for our system too.

kenmin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2005, 06:09 PM   #817
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Indeed those are beautiful shots, Gakei! No one stared at you when you took them?

Old January 11th, 2005, 06:33 PM   #818
gakei
GAKEI.com | EHK

Quote:
Originally Posted by huaiwei
Indeed those are beautiful shots, Gakei! No one stared at you when you took them?
When "packaging" and "marketing" myself as a tourist from my appearance (e.g. showing a tourist map/guide in my hand), people will not find strange as tourists can be interested in anything local people cannot imagine. Or sometimes I pretented to be viewing photos shown on the DC's LCD display but actually clicking the shutter button ... (which I normally did when taking photos in Beijing Subway trains) :P

Sure if doing that in HK people will stare at me then
Old January 12th, 2005, 11:44 AM   #819
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Haha....thats comical. Do you happen to be Caucasian btw? I would think its much easier to pass off as one then!

Old January 12th, 2005, 08:26 PM   #820
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Maps showing the soon to be opened LRT stations and lines (and the withdrawal of bus services):

Tags
metro, mrt, singapore