daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 14th, 2005, 10:46 PM   #821
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Likes (Received): 4

Errr...now lets figure out we are supposed to get there today!

Bus Service Diversions in Chinatown on Saturday, 15 January 2005

TEMPORARY BUS SERVICE DIVERSIONS DUE TO LUNAR NEW YEAR LIGHT-UP CELEBRATION IN CHINATOWN AND NORTH EAST LINE TRAIN SERVICE

On Saturday, 15 January 2005, from 3.00pm to 11.00pm, New Bridge Road and Eu Tong Sen Street (between the junction with Upper Cross Street and the junction with Kreta Ayer Road) will be closed to vehicular traffic.

As a result of this road closure, 13 SBS Transit bus services will have to be temporarily diverted. The bus services affected are : 2, 12, 33, 54, 63, 80, 124, 143, 145, 147, 166, 197 and C2. Some bus stops along New Bridge Road and Eu Tong Sen Street will be skipped in the process. The bus services will revert to their original routing when the road closure is lifted.

Please see attached map for details of the diverted routes.

Commuters going to Chinatown may wish to travel on the North East Line (NEL) and alight at Chinatown Station during this period. As the Chinatown Station is expected to be very busy during this time, commuters are urged to take note of the following recommendations so as to ensure a more comfortable travelling experience.

Commuters are advised to top-up their ez-link cards before making the journey to Chinatown. Those buying the ez-link standard tickets are encouraged to buy the standard tickets for their return journey as well.
Commuters may want to consider alighting at alternative NEL stations such as Clarke Quay and Outram Stations when going to Chinatown. Clarke Quay Station is less than 300m away while Outram Station is about 600m away from the Chinatown Station.

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 14th, 2005, 10:47 PM   #822
huaiwei
The Monkey King

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
Old January 15th, 2005, 06:01 PM   #823
ignoramus

Last edited by ignoramus; January 21st, 2005 at 10:41 AM.
ignoramus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2005, 05:55 AM   #824
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Likes (Received): 2

The christmas bus.......

babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2005, 08:03 PM   #825
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Haha....saw the CNY buses yet?

Old January 17th, 2005, 02:25 AM   #826
heirloom

yar... i love this idea of having buses decorated for various festivals! they shouldnt miss out malay and indian festivals too.
heirloom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2005, 05:44 AM   #827
ignoramus

Alstom Metropolis Cars
© ignoramus

Mitsubishi Heavy Industries (MHI) Crystal Mover Cars
© ignoramus

NE16 Sengkang
© ignoramus

STC Sengkang
© ignoramus

Old January 17th, 2005, 08:41 AM   #828
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Aye...these are the photos you took with us right?

Old January 17th, 2005, 08:44 AM   #829
ignoramus

Quote:
Originally Posted by huaiwei
Aye...these are the photos you took with us right?
Yeah. Finally had the time to put them online.
Old January 17th, 2005, 09:41 AM   #830
ailiton
Toffy

Likes (Received): 1

Still couldn't find the door chime file for me?
ailiton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2005, 12:04 PM   #831
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Jan 18, 2005
S'pore-style road pricing system for New York?

Prominent business leaders join hands to push through congestion charge
NEW YORK - BUSTLING crowds and honking traffic may be part of New York City's image round the world, but some prominent business leaders have concluded that it also represents a serious problem.

And they are turning to London for a solution.

A group representing New York's top corporations is backing the adoption of a London-style congestion charge to help bail out the city's heavily indebted Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA).

The Partnership for New York City, a coalition of 200 chief executives that includes Time Warner's Richard Parsons and Merrill Lynch's Stan O'Neal, has studied London's programme and plans to recommend a similar scheme to the New York state governor, Mr George Pataki.

'We think congestion pricing along lines of what was done in London's central business district could have significant benefit for New York,' said Ms Kathryn Wylde, president and chief executive of the group.

New York is not the only city examining London's congestion charging - Stockholm and Edinburgh are also considering versions of the plan.

London implemented its system in 2003 and Singapore's Electronic Road Pricing system, which was set up in 1998, was one of the many schemes it studied.

In the past, Mayor Michael Bloomberg of New York City had tried to introduce tolls on commuters entering Manhattan, which could have raised about US$450 million (S$740 million) a year.

But the plan was blocked by state officials, who feared a political backlash from suburban voters working in the city.

Ms Wylde said congestion fees could raise even more than the commuter tolls would have.

The group's business leaders favoured pumping the revenue into the MTA to ensure that the authority's budget pressures do not push subway services into decline.

'The most valuable real estate in the city is defined by proximity to transit hubs,' Ms Wylde said.

'Transit drives urban business activity.'

She acknowledged that London's plan had been more effective in reducing congestion than in raising revenue.

But she said charging higher fees could probably change this, and that cutting congestion was also important for New York.

'Congestion and the ability to get around Manhattan is a serious issue, and the opportunity to raise revenues is equally attractive,' she said.

The MTA faces large operating budget gaps next year and in 2007, and has a laundry list of improvements totalling US$20 billion, said Mr Charles Brecher, research director of the Citizens Budget Commission.

It had been forced to raise subway fares twice in the past two years, and plans another increase in 2007.

However, any plan to use congestion pricing to ease the MTA's budget problems could stir up political trouble, Mr Brecher said.

New York City, which had struggled to balance its books, would argue that it deserved a portion of the revenue.

'The real issue is the MTA versus the mayor,' Mr Brecher said.

'There would be competition for whose money it is.' \-- FINANCIAL TIMES

Copyright © 2004 Singapore Press Holdings. All rights reserved.
Old January 18th, 2005, 03:36 PM   #832
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

18 January 2005

Jalan Kayu shops expected to benefit from opening of LRT station

SINGAPORE : It is 11 days till Singapore's third Light Rapid Transit, the Punggol LRT, is rolled out.

Not only is the LRT expected to bring greater convenience to residents of the area, stall holders in Jalan Kayu are also hoping to cash in on the commuter traffic.

Not many people live around the Thanggam LRT station in Sengkang, but the station will still open at the end of this month.

And that is expected to benefit stall holders at Jalan Kayu, who expect sales to increase by 30 percent.

Said 'roti prata' shop owner Yusoff Marican, "I think this one is even faster, so because of the LRT, we will have customers coming from the Sengkang area."

Lan Shi Ping, owner of a 'bah kwa' shop, said, "We can expect customers from Sengkang and Hougang to come here for the roti prata. They can buy our bah kwa at the same time."

The Land Transport Authority is also building an overhead bridge to link the station with a path that leads to Jalan Kayu.

It takes only five to ten minutes to reach Jalan Kayu by foot from the station.

Right now, most of the customers that frequent the famous roti prata shops at Jalan Kayu get there by car.

With the new station opening, stall holders expect to reach out to non-driving customers as well. - CNA

Copyright © 2004 MCN International Pte Ltd
Old January 18th, 2005, 03:44 PM   #833
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Haha...since when do we have an LRT station just for a bunch of coffeeshops???

Old January 18th, 2005, 04:14 PM   #834
Fir3blaze
Fir3blaze

Likes (Received): 17

So we can go eat prata more often i think
Fir3blaze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2005, 02:07 PM   #835
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Oh I love this view......

Picture by Ignoramus
Old January 20th, 2005, 10:28 AM   #836
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Sooner or later hor....all those drivers all around the world are going to curse us for introducing the concept of electronic road pricing!

Old January 20th, 2005, 10:29 AM   #837
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloom
yar... i love this idea of having buses decorated for various festivals! they shouldnt miss out malay and indian festivals too.
They didnt seem to bother to do the Malay one leh...

Old January 20th, 2005, 10:59 AM   #838
heirloom

not fair :/
heirloom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2005, 05:31 PM   #839
spsmiler

one day I need to read this entire thread - interesting info on road pricing etc here - and also to find out more on the new driverless MRT line

Simon, in London, where we have road pricing.
spsmiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2005, 03:44 AM   #840
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Originally Posted by spsmiler
one day I need to read this entire thread - interesting info on road pricing etc here - and also to find out more on the new driverless MRT line

Simon, in London, where we have road pricing.
Gee...you must be really patient!

Have you heard, that the road pricing scheme in London was partly based on the one in Singapore? I am not sure if the general public in London are aware of this...hmm...

Tags
metro, mrt, singapore