daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 21st, 2005, 10:09 AM   #841
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloom
not fair :/
Hahaah....then you should be writing to the papers to complain!

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 21st, 2005, 10:42 AM   #842
ignoramus

Last edited by ignoramus; February 5th, 2005 at 09:52 AM.
ignoramus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2005, 11:35 AM   #843
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Likes (Received): 2

Saw the bus today while I make a visit to Bedok Central......

21 January 2005

New bus services launched for Chinatown
By Wong Siew Ying, Channel NewsAsia

SINGAPORE: Making that trip to Chinatown this Lunar New Year will be a lot more convenient, especially for the senior citizens, with the launch of three new bus services on Friday.

The new bus services will ply through Ang Mo Kio, Bedok and Clementi before hitting the expressway to Chinatown.

The bus services come in auspicious numbers - CT 8, 18, 28 - and the buses have bright signs and even dialect-speaking captains.

Fares for senior citizens are priced at one dollar.

To celebrate the launch, SBS Transit is offering a "one-for-one bonus" till end of the month where commuters get a free return trip.

For senior citizens like 68-year-old Madam Yap, the new bus services will make travel easy for her.

She makes about three trips to Chinatown from her Clementi home every week via a feeder bus service and the MRT.

But thanks to the new direct bus services, her journey to Chinatown will be smoother now.

"No need to make any transfers, it takes us there directly, it's more convenient," she said.

Joint promotions with merchants will also allow commuters to redeem discounts or gifts when they shop at Chinatown.

Wong Chi Keong, chairman of Chinatown Business Association, said: "Our objective is to promote the business interest of Chinatown. We've been in discussion with SBS Transit for quite some time about how to make it more convenient for the customers to come to Chinatown, like where they should alight and how should the bus routes be."

Operating hours for the new bus services are from 10am to 5pm on weekdays, and 10am to 10pm on weekends and public holidays. - CNA

Copyright © 2005 MCN International Pte Ltd
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2005, 04:29 PM   #844
kenmin
SingaporeRail

Likes (Received): 1

The total cost for EWL and NSL is only for the first stage right? Does it include that of Woodlands MRT Extension?
kenmin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2005, 04:09 AM   #845
ignoramus

The rough figure stated includes the cost of building the
- North South Line & East West Line Basic Network Completed In 1990 (S$5 Billion)
- Woodlands Extension (S$1.4 Billion) *Conflicting figures ranging from S$1.2 Billion to S$1.4 Billion were given. The latter was chosen.
- Dover Station (S$55 Million)
- Changi Airport Extension (S$750 Million)
Old January 22nd, 2005, 04:36 AM   #846
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Walao eh...so how much does it cost for younger folks like us?

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
Old January 22nd, 2005, 04:38 AM   #847
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by huaiwei
Walao eh...so how much does it cost for younger folks like us?
Adult fare is S$1.80.......senior citizen/student fare S$1.00......
Old January 22nd, 2005, 05:18 AM   #848
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Oh btw, I finally noticed the multilingual signs on the NEL since about two weeks ago I think.

Old January 22nd, 2005, 05:20 AM   #849
ignoramus

You mean the new ones that are to be implemented system wide or the old ones which were found in the NEL stations since its opening.
Old January 22nd, 2005, 05:24 AM   #850
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignoramus
You mean the new ones that are to be implemented system wide or the old ones which were found in the NEL stations since its opening.
New ones. They also added them to the info boards in the stations, so now I get to see the tamil script for ALL stations, including the LRTS! Gonna type out the list soon and add to wikipedia...you can copy them here too if you want.

Old January 22nd, 2005, 05:32 AM   #851
ignoramus

Okay inform me when you are done. Havent been on NEL in like 2 months.
Old January 23rd, 2005, 04:36 PM   #852
huaiwei
The Monkey King

haha.....anyway added abit for the changi line stations and punggol lrt stations. It is taking a long time coz its really time consuming to compose the Tamil script!

Old January 24th, 2005, 10:12 AM   #853
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystan03
Adult fare is S$1.80.......senior citizen/student fare S$1.00......
Walao...flat fare?

What daylight robbery....its the same old bus which dosent stop wat! Even the MRT is cheaper!

Old January 24th, 2005, 11:00 AM   #854
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
Walao...flat fare?

What daylight robbery....its the same old bus which dosent stop wat! Even the MRT is cheaper!
Haha.....then take the MRT loh.....
Old January 25th, 2005, 09:27 AM   #855
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Haha...come to think of it, they dont have a service to the Northeast area. Seems like trying to suck traffic from SMRT's territory lah.

Old January 25th, 2005, 03:26 PM   #856
hyacinthus
Success and Happiness

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Haha....saw the CNY buses yet?
The Decorated CNY Bus
They have a few versions. This is one of them.

hyacinthus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2005, 04:46 PM   #857
huaiwei
The Monkey King

There are more the one version meh? I tot that is only one!

Old January 27th, 2005, 11:20 AM   #858
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Posted: 27 January 2005 1440 hrs

Sengkang, Punggol LRTs to start operations on Saturday

SINGAPORE : The Sengkang LRT West Loop and Punggol LRT East Loop will start operating on Saturday.

The Sengkang LRT West Loop will start at 10 am that day after an opening ceremony, while the Punggol LRT East Loop will start its service from 1 pm.

After Saturday, both will revert to normal operating hours of between 5.20 am and 12.35 am. - CNA

Old January 28th, 2005, 06:39 PM   #859
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Business Times - 28 Jan 2005

SMRT Q3 profit up 25%

Higher revenue and lower costs and tax gave a 25 per cent boost to SMRT Corp's third quarter profits. The transport group on Friday said net profit in the three months ended Dec 31, 2004 rose to $23.9 million from $19.1 million a year ago. Earnings per share increased to 1.6 cents from 1.3 cents.

Revenue grew 1 per cent to $170.2 million as a result a larger hired-out taxi fleet, which offset lower fare revenue. Operating expenses declined 1 per cent due to lower depreciation charges and other operating expenses, which offset higher diesel costs.

Income tax expenses were 26.9 per cent lower as an asset-related grant was no longer subject to tax and the corporate tax rate was lower.

For the nine months ended Dec 31, 2004, SMRT's net profit rose 51 per cent to $72.5 million while revenue increased 1.3 per cent to $508.2 million.

SMRT shares closed unchanged on Friday at 95 cents. The stock has gained 8 per cent so far this year.

Copyright © 2004 Singapore Press Holdings Ltd. All rights reserved.
Old January 28th, 2005, 06:46 PM   #860
newyorkrunaway1
Skyscraper Guru

Likes (Received): 8

Asian mass transit is the best worlwide by far!!!! they have the most advanced and largest networks of mass transit than any other continent on earth. I would love to ride it just once. hehehe
newyorkrunaway1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
metro, mrt, singapore