daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 6th, 2005, 05:30 PM   #881
kenmin
SingaporeRail

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignoramus
The rough figure stated includes the cost of building the
- North South Line & East West Line Basic Network Completed In 1990 (S$5 Billion)
- Woodlands Extension (S$1.4 Billion) *Conflicting figures ranging from S$1.2 Billion to S$1.4 Billion were given. The latter was chosen.
- Dover Station (S$55 Million)
- Changi Airport Extension (S$750 Million)
Got this from the Transport White Paper.

Quote:
The North-South/East-West line and the Woodlands line already cost $6.3 bn
kenmin no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2005, 11:48 PM   #882
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Likes (Received): 2

A bigger rendering.....

babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2005, 01:03 PM   #883
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Feb 7, 2005
MRT signs going multilingual

By Theresa Tan

A QUARTER of the 8,000 key signs at MRT stations now have signs in Chinese and Tamil as well as English, to help those who cannot read English.

The Land Transport Authority is currently in the process of making multilingual signboards and maps for MRT and LRT stations across the island. Work is expected to be complete by the end of this year.

Since stations names in Malay are similar to English ones, the new signs will only have Chinese and Tamil translations, an LTA spokesman said.

The move is part of efforts proposed by Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said in his National Day Rally speech last year to help older Singaporeans feel more at home.

Previously, only a handful of MRT stations in the city area, such as Dhoby Ghaut and Little India, had signs in more than one language.

After the North-East line opened in 2003, non-English reading commuters complained that they found it hard to work out where to get off the train, as the line was completely underground and there were no landmarks to help them identify their location.

In response, the LTA is spending $600,000 to replace existing key signs and maps with multilingual versions. The project started late last year.

So far, 30 underground MRT stations have English, Mandarin and Tamil station names on panels above the platform doors.

An LTA spokesman said: 'We are progressively changing the signs at all the stations and we hope to finish the project by the end of the year.'

Copyright © 2004 Singapore Press Holdings. All rights reserved
Old February 7th, 2005, 03:20 PM   #884
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

07 February 2005

Smooth rides along Punggol, Sengkang LRT lines since opening
By S. Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

SINGAPORE : The latest additions to Singapore's LRT system - the Punggol and Sengkang LRT lines - performed well since it started operations on January 29.

Operator SBS Transit said the system had delivered safe, reliable and smooth rides.

Up to February 6, there have been 54,840 rides on the Punggol LRT and some 37,180 on the Sengkang LRT.

SBS Transit's Chief Operating Officer Ong Boon Leong said he was encouraged by commuters' support and confidence. - CNA

Copyright © 2005 MCN International Pte Ltd
Old February 8th, 2005, 09:50 AM   #885
ignoramus

Likes (Received): 4

Feb 8, 2005
More than 10,000 rides a day on Punggol, Sengkang LRT
ONE tiny resident and her mum were hugely relieved when the west loop of Sengkang LRT opened more than a week ago.

Two-year-old Edlyn Ho used to have to walk with Madam Yuen Kah Wai across four roads to get from Sengkang MRT station to their HDB flat in Anchorvale Link.

Usually, the little girl tired out halfway through the 15-minute journey and ended up in her mother's arms. Madam Yuen, 28, whose arms used to get a little sore carrying 11kg Edlyn, said: 'The LRT saves on walking. But if I'm alone, I'll walk because it's faster and it's exercise.'

In its first nine days, the loop has recorded an average of 4,131 rides a day.

Traffic on the east loop of Punggol LRT, where five out of seven stations opened on the same day, have averaged 6,093 rides a day.

'We are encouraged by the commuters' support and confidence,' said SBS Transit's chief operating officer, Mr Ong Boon Leong.

SBS Transit told The Straits Times that it believes passenger numbers will improve when residents are more familiar with the system and after it removes existing Punggol bus services that duplicate the train line in the middle of next month.

The LRT is just one of the upgrades planned for the Sengkang and Punggol estates. A neighbourhood park at Compassvale Street is due to be ready by this year. In two years' time, a 21ha town park along Sungei Punggol, with a fruit tree theme, should be open too.

Sungei Punggol's Anchorvale Community Club is scheduled to open next year, with an adjacent sports complex featuring a football field, sports hall and swimming pools opening in 2007.

Other new amenities in the two estates include churches, temples and a petrol station.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright © 2004 Singapore Press Holdings. All rights reserved. Privacy Statement & Condition of Access.
ignoramus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2005, 03:11 AM   #886
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

09 February 2005

SMRT up in arms to keep commuters happy
By Farah Abdul Rahim / Lee Ching Yee, Channel NewsAsia

SINGAPORE : The God of Fortune smiled on 8 lucky commuters who won 88 days of unlimited travel on public transport, thanks to SMRT's Ride for Free countdown draw.

And for the really lucky commuter, he or she could walk away with a Nissan March, the top prize in the festive draw.

The winning ez-link numbers will be displayed at train stations and bus interchanges, as well as online @ www.smrt.com.sg

Meanwhile, SMRT commuters who love shopping are also in for a treat.

SMRT has just revamped five stations at a cost of S$20 million to include more retail space

Shops conveniently located at MRT stations are a boon for both retailers and commuters.

The newly revamped Yew Tee MRT station-cum-retail mall has many more stores for shoppers - and even includes a clinic.

A few commuters we spoke to welcome the change.

Retailers at Yew Tee and Sembawang - together with Raffles Place, Marsiling and Bukit Batok stations - are celebrating more than the New Year cheer.

Their cash tills have been ringing in the sales since they opened over the past month.

The revamped stations have more than 90 shops - which have been given a new lease of life.

SMRT is also looking at revamping its remaining stations. - CNA

Copyright © 2005 MCN International Pte Ltd
Old February 10th, 2005, 04:36 AM   #887
ignoramus

Last edited by ignoramus; February 27th, 2005 at 08:20 AM.
Old February 10th, 2005, 04:37 AM   #888
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

^ Ignore, have you try the Punggol LRT yet??
Old February 10th, 2005, 04:45 AM   #889
ignoramus

Nope. I want to though, even though the ride itself may be no different from the ride on the Sengkang LRT.
Old February 10th, 2005, 04:47 AM   #890
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignoramus
Nope. I want to though, even though the ride itself may be no different from the ride on the Sengkang LRT.
I think the "scenery" will be different......though I'm not sure how big the difference is ........

Maybe I try to arrange that in the meetup next week or something......haha.....
Old February 10th, 2005, 09:10 AM   #891
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Damn Ulu loh...although I heard there is a new mall somewhere over there I think.

Anyway, isnt Punggol the place whereby I first met baby?

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2005, 09:17 AM   #892
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by huaiwei
Damn Ulu loh...although I heard there is a new mall somewhere over there I think.

Anyway, isnt Punggol the place whereby I first met baby?
Yeah baby.......ulu place......

Got mall ah?? Must be one of those small ones like Ten Mile Junction....
Old February 10th, 2005, 06:08 PM   #893
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Enjoy Free Ride On 12 SBS Transit Buses Dressed With NOKIA Advertisements During Chinese New Year

Lunar New Year visits will be so much more enjoyable this season, thanks to free bus rides on SBS Transit buses.

Twelve special SBS Transit services with special Nokia advertisements will be free to all commuters on the first 2 days of the Lunar New Year. These services are C1, 12, 30, 62, 65, 74, 76, 89, 107, 153, 196 and 198. Commuters can make as many trips as they wish to throughout the operating hours of 5.30 am - 12 midnight. The air-conditioned double deck buses will make more than 140 trips each day.

This service is brought to you by Nokia as part of its marketing efforts.

The services cover extensive parts of Singapore, including Chinatown, Orchard, Marina Centre, Ang Mo Kio, Bedok, Boon Lay, Bukit Merah, Bukit Timah, Clementi, East Coast, Hougang, Jurong East, Marine Parade, Pasir Ris, Punggol, Sengkang, Serangoon, Tampines, etc.

Mr Ong Boon Leong, Chief Operating Officer of SBS Transit said, “It’s a time for celebration and we are happy to work with Nokia to bring festive cheer to all our commuters.”

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
Old February 11th, 2005, 04:03 PM   #894
huaiwei
The Monkey King

MRT staff do remind commuters to keep left

I REFER to the letter, 'Get commuters to keep left' by Mr Henry Tan Soon Choon (The Sunday Times, Jan 30).

The 'keep left' escalator scheme was launched in 2002 as part of SMRT's efforts to cultivate social graciousness and enhance the travelling experience of commuters.

Under the scheme, commuters are encouraged to 'keep left', allowing others who are in a hurry to walk on the right. There are also signs along the escalators to serve as a reminder.

We wish to share with Mr Tan that it is not always possible to deploy staff at the escalators during peak hours as they may be required to serve commuters at the passenger service centre, attend to equipment or patrol the station premises.

Nevertheless, station staff do remind commuters to keep left should they spot such situations in the course of their duties.

We thank Mr Tan for his feedback, and would like to urge commuters to practise courtesy towards others to ensure a more pleasant travelling experience for all.

Dawn Low (Ms)
Manager
Corporate Communications
SMRT Corporation Ltd

Old February 12th, 2005, 12:00 PM   #895
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Punggol LRT part 1(12/2/05):

Boarding the station

Scene from the overhead bridge

Going to the platform(no escalator btw)

At the platform

Finally my LRT came........

To be continued........
Old February 12th, 2005, 05:18 PM   #896
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Part 2 LRT ride(12/2/05):

The only mall i've seen on the way

Crowded train

Commieblocks (seem like the only thing in Punggol.... )

Reaching the Punggol Station......

Reached.......yipee(less than 10 mins est)......
Old February 13th, 2005, 03:45 PM   #897
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Ah ha! Punggol Plaza...that must be the mall I was talking about.

Anyway, there are people in Pungool?

Old February 13th, 2005, 03:46 PM   #898
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
Ah ha! Punggol Plaza...that must be the mall I was talking about.

Anyway, there are people in Pungool?
Yes.......to go visit ppl during new year mah......
Old February 13th, 2005, 03:50 PM   #899
huaiwei
The Monkey King

icic...anyway the people dont look like they are dressed for visiting loh.

Old February 13th, 2005, 03:51 PM   #900
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
icic...anyway the people dont look like they are dressed for visiting loh.
Haha.....the weather is too hot for that......

Tags
metro, mrt, singapore