daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 25th, 2005, 05:23 AM   #941
ignoramus

Likes (Received): 4

Last edited by ignoramus; March 26th, 2005 at 08:08 AM.
ignoramus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 25th, 2005, 01:06 PM   #942
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Wow you are back. Meetup leh.....without your cap.

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2005, 04:01 PM   #943
nova
Distant glory

Likes (Received): 1

Does anyone have the old MRT map.. with the East-West line in blue and green and the North-South line in red and yellow?

I still miss it..
Old March 25th, 2005, 05:23 PM   #944
ignoramus

Not all maps are posted here because
1. Maps dating back to 1989 are not exactly available online. Back then computers were only owned by the super rich etc etc.
2. The maps that are available online are mostly created by others and thus there are some discrepancies (like in the alphanumerical symbols given to the stations)

February 1996 To November 1999

January 2003 To January 2005

January 2005 To Present & Future
Old March 25th, 2005, 06:27 PM   #945
redstone
Lurker

Likes (Received): 52

Got some super nostalgic ones when the Woodlands line was not completed?

I remember once when I was little taking the train from Bukit Batok to AMK.....
redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2005, 06:54 PM   #946
ignoramus

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstone
Got some super nostalgic ones when the Woodlands line was not completed?

I remember once when I was little taking the train from Bukit Batok to AMK.....
Back then
1. The Jurong East - Choa Chu Kang branch line (4 stations) was brown in colour. I can't remember what were the alphanumeric characters used in this branch line though. (Example: C1 City Hall, C2 Raffles Place and M1 Marina Bay)
2. We had flip dot displays on the platforms, displaying only one line of information, that being the destination of the train which was arriving in 30 seconds time. (Example: M1 Marina Bay)
3. Later versions of these flip dot displays on the platforms, though being able to still display only one line of information, were able to display how many minutes the next train was arriving in, along with the destination of the train which was arriving. This advanced version of the flip dot display was used SOLELY on stations along the Woodlands extension only.
4. Stations along the Woodlands extension also had television sets (not plasma displays or LCDs) on its platforms. I can't remember whether it showed commercials only or whether it showed free to air television channels.
5. There was no tactile guidance system, lifts, ramps or handicapped toilets in use.
6. The Passenger Service Centre at all stations was called the Control Station.
7. There were machines at each station catering to the exchange of S$2 notes for coins.
8. There were 2 versions of ticketing machines at stations. One which adopted the push button technology whereas the later version incorporated an LCD touch screen for commuters to select their fare.
9. Magnetic farecards occasionally get jammed at the fare gates.
10. Single trip tickets had beautiful and stunning images printed on them. Those frequent use resulted in them being scratched.
11. There were onboard in train announcements in all 4 official languages whenever a train was approaching an interchange station. These announcements informed the passenger on the line transfer options at that interchange station.
12. Soothing music (otherwise known as Muzak, I don't know the correct spelling) used to be played in all stations. SMRT Corporation upgraded the PA system at all stations so that they were play such music to calm the busy commuter down.
13. Some fare gates at each station had blue and white stripes painted over them to tell passengers that they are GIRO enabled gates, meaning GIRO passengers could top up their farecards by simply entering through those gates.
14. Rubbish bins used to be commonplace at all stations.
15. The doors closing buzzer sounded like the 7 eleven convenience store door buzzer.

Last edited by ignoramus; March 25th, 2005 at 08:32 PM.
Old March 25th, 2005, 06:59 PM   #947
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Likes (Received): 2

^
Wah you remember everything so clearly ah??

Last edited by babystan03; March 25th, 2005 at 07:07 PM.
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2005, 07:06 PM   #948
ignoramus

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystan03
^
Wah you remember everything so clear ah??
Told you I was a rail fanatic.
Old March 25th, 2005, 07:08 PM   #949
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignoramus
Told you I was a rail fanatic.
Ok......now I see it for myself......
Old March 25th, 2005, 07:10 PM   #950
ignoramus

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystan03
Ok......now I see it for myself......
Contribute to the list. Anything else that you saw then but do not see today?
Old March 25th, 2005, 07:15 PM   #951
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
Contribute to the list. Anything else that you saw then but do not see today?
I think the first generation single trip card comes in 3 colours. Green (single trip), blue(adult), and red (children/student concession). The card is half filled with the colours which is the card's top half part, then there's a big arrow on the card.......

I can't think of more now......need to sleep soon.....
Old March 25th, 2005, 07:19 PM   #952
redstone
Lurker

I want the music and the 4-language announcement back!!!!

Why take off the music????
Old March 25th, 2005, 07:28 PM   #953
ignoramus

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstone
I want the music and the 4-language announcement back!!!!

Why take off the music????
Who knows. Perhaps dumbass people complained to SMRT about spending money on such stuff etc. Whenever something new is introduced, people complain. So naturally we see less of such initiatives to provide added services at stations nowadays.

The only new stuff we see at stations since 2000 are
1. Lifts
2. Ramps
3. Wheelchair accessible toilets
4. Tactile guidance system
5. General Ticketing Machine
6. Bi directional wide gates
7. LED screens for estimated next train arrival timings
8. Plasma displays for estimated next train arrival timings, commercials, and safety messages, time and date.
Old March 25th, 2005, 07:29 PM   #954
redstone
Lurker

Would it hurt them to play background music?!
Old March 25th, 2005, 08:14 PM   #955
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Huh? What music?

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2005, 08:29 PM   #956
redstone
Lurker

Dear sir, please read igno's super long post back there...
Old March 26th, 2005, 02:47 PM   #957
kenmin
SingaporeRail

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Back then
1. The Jurong East - Choa Chu Kang branch line (4 stations) was brown in colour. I can't remember what were the alphanumeric characters used in this branch line though. (Example: C1 City Hall, C2 Raffles Place and M1 Marina Bay)
brown for North bound train though I am not really sure and orange for the other direction. Codes are B1 for Bukit Batok and so on.
2. We had flip dot displays on the platforms, displaying only one line of information, that being the destination of the train which was arriving in 30 seconds time. (Example: M1 Marina Bay)
3. Later versions of these flip dot displays on the platforms, though being able to still display only one line of information, were able to display how many minutes the next train was arriving in, along with the destination of the train which was arriving. This advanced version of the flip dot display was used SOLELY on stations along the Woodlands extension only.
4. Stations along the Woodlands extension also had television sets (not plasma displays or LCDs) on its platforms. I can't remember whether it showed commercials only or whether it showed free to air television channels.
5. There was no tactile guidance system, lifts, ramps or handicapped toilets in use.
6. The Passenger Service Centre at all stations was called the Control Station.
7. There were machines at each station catering to the exchange of S$2 notes for coins.
8. There were 2 versions of ticketing machines at stations. One which adopted the push button technology whereas the later version incorporated an LCD touch screen for commuters to select their fare.
9. Magnetic farecards occasionally get jammed at the fare gates.
10. Single trip tickets had beautiful and stunning images printed on them. Those frequent use resulted in them being scratched.
11. There were onboard in train announcements in all 4 official languages whenever a train was approaching an interchange station. These announcements informed the passenger on the line transfer options at that interchange station.
and there are slight differences between those at City Hall and Raffles Place stations.
12. Soothing music (otherwise known as Muzak, I don't know the correct spelling) used to be played in all stations. SMRT Corporation upgraded the PA system at all stations so that they were play such music to calm the busy commuter down.
absolutely no impression at all.
13. Some fare gates at each station had blue and white stripes painted over them to tell passengers that they are GIRO enabled gates, meaning GIRO passengers could top up their farecards by simply entering through those gates.
14. Rubbish bins used to be commonplace at all stations.
15. The doors closing buzzer sounded like the 7 eleven convenience store door buzzer.
kenmin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2005, 02:31 AM   #958
playboy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Old MRT map

playboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2005, 04:59 AM   #959
heirloom

Quote:
Perhaps dumbass people complained to SMRT about spending money on such stuff etc. Whenever something new is introduced, people complain.
singaporeans can be soooo sooo miserly. i miss the music too.
heirloom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2005, 06:45 AM   #960
ignoramus

Has anyone noticed that while lifts have already been constructed at most of the elevated and underground stations, AND have been put under testing for quite a few weeks already, they are still not opened yet for service? Out of the 51 MRT stations operated by SMRT Corporation, only a sprinkling of like 10 have lifts that are opened to the public already while another like 30 have lifts, except that they are just not opened yet. Is SMRT waiting for all testing to be finished at all lifts, meaning waiting till the last lift has been tested, before opening at one shot all lifts? That sounds a bit dumb.

And I realized that stations such as Bedok (elevated) have like 5 lifts (Expensive!) within the station concourse, the most I have seen in one station alone. Thats because its situated in the central road divider and uses underpasses to get people across to the other sides of the road. Usually elevated stations have only 1 lift. And this is the first time I have actually heard of SMRT referring to underpasses as Subways. Usually the LTA etc just calls them underpasses.

Tags
metro, mrt, singapore