daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 27th, 2005, 07:28 AM   #961
heirloom

Likes (Received): 2

hrmm most of the stsations i use regularly have operating elevators.
heirloom no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 27th, 2005, 07:49 AM   #962
ignoramus

Likes (Received): 4

Last edited by ignoramus; May 2nd, 2005 at 07:59 AM.
ignoramus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2005, 07:57 AM   #963
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignoramus
North South (NS) Line

Constructed But Not Operating
- Yishun (Its Been More Than 3 Months Already)
- Khatib (Its Been More Than 3 Months Already)
- Yio Chu Kang
- Ang Mo Kio

Operating
- Toa Payoh
- Novena
- Somerset
- Dhoby Ghaut

Not sure about the status of the retrofitting works at the other stations. Some are being constructed while some haven't even yet started construction works I think.

Anyways, SOMEONE has to take pictures of the construction work at Bishan Station. That station is literally BEING TORN TO PIECES due to integration/construction works for the Circle Line station beside it. Parts of the station ceiling has been exposed and the downward sloping walls along the side of the track have been demolished.
Hmm....seem like all the stations i use have lift already.....not sure about the problem you've said........

As for Bishan station, perhaps Redstone could help u with this?
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2005, 08:12 AM   #964
ignoramus

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystan03
Hmm....seem like all the stations i use have lift already.....not sure about the problem you've said........

As for Bishan station, perhaps Redstone could help u with this?
Oh thats because, haha I almost forgot...

East West Line
- All elevated stations (except Jurong East) have working lifts already

For me on the NSL, its a different story.
ignoramus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2005, 09:04 AM   #965
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Muahaah....got people sit meh? Noiw weather us so sucky!

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2005, 09:32 AM   #966
huaiwei
The Monkey King

I hate the new monorail. So sad that I also lost the photos of my last monorail trip...which was only last year.

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
Old March 29th, 2005, 12:25 AM   #967
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

28 March 2005

Clementi Town Centre's makeover to include air-conditioned bus terminal
By Yvonne Cheong, Channel NewsAsia

SINGAPORE : After Toa Payoh, Sengkang, and Ang Mo Kio, the next air-conditioned bus interchange in Singapore will be at Clementi.

It is part of the makeover of Clementi Town Centre, which is expected to be ready by the middle of 2010.

The Housing and Development Board says that the existing bus interchange will be redeveloped into a modern 40-storey complex, and will integrate a new library, town council office, shopping mall and new HDB flats.

Construction will start end of next year, and the existing bus interchange will be relocated temporarily to the vacant site near blocks 437 and 438 at Clementi Avenue 3. - CNA

Copyright © 2005 MCN International Pte Ltd

27 March 2005

NTUC Ang Mo Kio Retail Mall expected to be ready in 2007
By Asha Popatlal, Channel NewsAsia
[IMG]
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/imagegallery/store/phpPn4Lhp.jpg[/IMG]

SINGAPORE : Mega malls are moving into the heartlands.

The latest is the $340 million NTUC Ang Mo Kio Retail Mall. It is expected to be ready by early 2007.

Sunday's groundbreaking ceremony for the mall is expected to mark the start of a rejuvenation plan for the 30-year-old estate.

It is jointly developed by the Singapore Labour Foundation, NTUC Income and NTUC FairPrice.

The building will include an integrated air-conditioned bus interchange and be linked to the nearby Ang Mo Kio MRT via an underpass.

Features include NTUC FairPrice's first hypermarket.

NTUC said the mall would play a complementary role to the existing trade mix in the town centre by drawing more shoppers to the area and offering more choices. - CNA

Old March 29th, 2005, 03:25 AM   #968
heirloom

is this the first time they have a hdb flat occupying such prime space instead of a condominium?
Old March 29th, 2005, 08:07 AM   #969
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Sure....just look at all the HDB flats right beside mrt stations?

Anyway I saw this ting on tv, and its 2-3 blocks of 40 storey towers. Woohoo!

Old March 29th, 2005, 02:33 PM   #970
heirloom

didnt look very pretty though. quality over quantity please.
Old March 30th, 2005, 08:06 PM   #971
heirloom

is the new monorail the same as the one in kl?
Old March 30th, 2005, 09:03 PM   #972
redstone
Lurker

Likes (Received): 52

I wonder why they do not let it have more stops...
redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2005, 09:35 PM   #973
heirloom

the new monorail requires higher traffic to be feasible so the stations have to be hubs
Old April 3rd, 2005, 03:17 AM   #974
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloom
the new monorail requires higher traffic to be feasible so the stations have to be hubs
Huh? Hubs? So what is the diff?

Old April 3rd, 2005, 05:08 AM   #975
heirloom

the old system had more stations serving smaller areas because (or so that) the train had (could have) low capacity?
Old April 3rd, 2005, 12:38 PM   #976
huaiwei
The Monkey King

I dunno watu talking about lah. The old system was serving a far larger area loh. The new system is supposed to encourage ppl to go use the buses, which I think is far less "environmentally friendly".

Old April 3rd, 2005, 04:37 PM   #977
heirloom

yar... so they use higher capacity monorails with a system where each station serves a far larger area
Old April 5th, 2005, 03:53 AM   #978
littlearea

Likes (Received): 18

why this thread looking so dead. Didn't update.
littlearea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2005, 04:45 PM   #979
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Business Times - 06 Apr 2005

Transport services grew 19.6% in 2003

THE transport services industry's 2003 operating surplus was 19.6 per cent higher than the previous year's, at $8.2 billion, says a survey on the industry released by the Department of Statistics (DOS) yesterday. There was strong growth in water transport, particularly shipping lines and shipping agencies, the department said.

On a per-establishment basis, operating surplus increased by 14.5 per cent to $875,300. Total value-added rose 11 per cent in 2003 to $13.6 billion.

Land transport businesses, which made up 45.6 per cent of the establishments in transport services, employed 28 per cent of the industry's workforce. Air transport companies were the largest individual employers, hiring an average of 248 workers per business.

Even though there were fewer firms engaged in water and air transport services, they accounted for 81.8 per cent of total transport services' operating receipts and 70.8 per cent of total value-added.

The report shows that the profitability ratio of the overall transport services industry rose to 19.6 per cent in 2003 from 16.6 per cent in 2002. Companies engaged in storage and warehousing services continued to register a significantly higher profitability ratio than those engaged in other services - 41 per cent in 2003 - slightly lower than the 43.3 per cent recorded in 2002. Cost effectiveness, as measured by the earnings-expenditure ratio, also remained the highest for storage and warehousing services, at 56.3 per cent in 2003.

The annual survey is part of a series on the services industries, with transport services being the first industry to report this year. This latest round of surveys was carried out last year but referred to figures for the previous year.

Copyright © 2005 Singapore Press Holdings Ltd. All rights reserved.
Old April 14th, 2005, 12:42 PM   #980
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

14 April 2005

MRT stations to have armed police officers on patrol

By Dominique Loh, Channel NewsAsia

SINGAPORE: Come August, there'll be added security on MRT trains and stations.

Armed police officers on patrol will complement the existing MRT security guards and CCTV monitoring systems.

The new MRT Policing Unit was one of the initiatives announced by Home Affairs Minister Wong Kan Seng at the annual Police Workplan seminar.

Currently, armed police officers are sometimes being deployed on the busy streets of downtown Singapore.

Mr Wong said: "In the current security situation, the Police Force has also assumed additional responsibilities. This demand on Police resources will not decline or diminish in the foreseeable future."

"In fact, the Force will need to do more with the same resources. There is potential in finding new areas of deployment to maximise Police NS (National Service) resources," he added.

"The recent establishment of a MRT Policing Unit, which will be operational in August this year, is a positive and bold initiative," said Mr Wong.

"It represents a new avenue for the deployment of Police NS (full time) resources in conjunction with regulars. It gives them another meaningful stake in safeguarding the security of Singapore," he said.

Mr Wong also noted that security forces around the world are facing complex changes, threats ranging from cyber-space, money laundering to terrorism.

But Singaporeans have mixed reactions about the added security on trains.

"It would give people a wrong impression that there's something we should be afraid of. I don't think there's a need, actually," said a member of the public.

"If you have armed Police at MRT stations, people would think 'oh! what's happening?', it's not a good idea. But they can make it not so obvious, have plainclothes officers carrying weapons discreetly," said another.

"Quite safe with the armed officers around, we'll have a sense of security, being protected by the government," said a third.

Another initiative announced by Mr Wong is that the Criminal Investigation Department is streamlining its bomb and explosives unit.

Five dedicated branches will be set up to tackle, among others, investigation, training and data collection.

Gerald Lim, assistant director of the Bomb and Explosive Investigation Division, said: "It (the division) is to investigate all forms of explosive device incidents. Apart from that, it also manages training of officers, writes doctrines, researches into the development of capabilities, liaises with local and foreign partners and ensures we have capabilities of doing the forensic investigations."

The Police are also enhancing their capabilities in the event of a chemical and biological attack.

Mr Wong said another area that should be critically reviewed is the loan shark syndicates.

"They are not just unlicensed money lenders; they must be viewed as organised criminal syndicates which systematically use criminal intimidation and harassment in their trade."

The activities of loan sharks have been in the news for apparently targeting innocent families who haven't borrowed money from them.

The Police Workplan seminar isn't just for police officers of all ranks to meet and plan for the future.

More than 100 guests from private sector partners were also present to give feedback and input to the Police Force in developing future technologies and capabilities.

"Increasingly we see the need to engage the private sector and get its feedback and input, so that for the measures we adopt on the ground, we take into account their concerns and their interest. The workplan is an opportunity for us to do that," said Senior Assistant Commissioner Aubeck Kam, director of operations. - CNA

Tags
metro, mrt, singapore