daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 8th, 2005, 04:59 PM   #1021
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Likes (Received): 2

08 May 2005

Giant carnation on display at MRT station as tribute to mothers
By Farah Abdul Rahim, Channel NewsAsia

SINGAPORE : While children everywhere were making it a Mother's Day to remember for their mums, one transport operator was also doing its part.

A larger than life, 25-foot tall carnation greeted commuters at Dhoby Ghaut's North-East Line station on Sunday.

Its message said it all: "I love you, Mum."

It was a special tribute to all mothers in Singapore.

And as a surprise Mother's Day present, ComfortDelGro staff were on hand to give out a thousand pink carnations to mothers.

The fibre-glass giant carnation will be on display for a week. - CNA /ct

Copyright © 2005 MCN International Pte Ltd
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 8th, 2005, 05:05 PM   #1022
Cliff
Tan

Likes (Received): 196

Quote:
Originally Posted by huaiwei
But why are these considered "distintive" features when they can sometimes be found elsewhere?
I suppose that although such features can be found elsewhere, it is only in Singapore where you get them all.
Cliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2005, 05:40 PM   #1023
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Likes (Received): 4

Sure or not? How does it compare to the MTR for example?

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2005, 05:12 AM   #1024
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

This story was printed from TODAYonline

Bus fare hike is a social concern

Monday • May 9, 2005

Eric Koo Peng Kuan

MUCH is being said about the proposed fee hikes by two major transport operators. As a commuter myself, I would beg to disagree that the fee hike is timely, or indeed, that it should be imposed at all.

Transport is an integral part of urban life. The majority of people do not travel for the sake of travelling everyday, but because they must. Commuters are mostly people who have to travel to work, young students going to school, or the unemployed seeking ways to make ends meet. In short, official business entails that they must incur expenses to fulfil their daily obligations.

The argument given to support a fee hike is that with the economy picking up, the jobless rate has fallen from 4.5 per cent to 3.9 per cent. Also, the proposed hike is to meet rising costs, which, in the case of SBS Transit, went up from $510 million in 2002 to $546 million in 2003. SMRT Corporation wants to acquire 150 new buses and upgrade its 18-year-old trains.

But let's view things on a broader perspective. Elsewhere in the world, the threat of terrorism has not been eradicated and defence spending in most countries, including Singapore, is increasing. With globalisation, international events and affairs in other countries — for example, Iraq — have an impact on Singapore's economy.

Since the transport sector is largely dependent on oil, and as political and social stability has yet to be achieved in Iraq, a meteoric improvement in the world economy must not be expected too soon.

Earning a tidy profit is one thing, but social concerns are just as important. It is understandable if the bus company operators wish to maximise revenue, but raising bus fares will have the effect of bleeding the working class, student community and the unemployed. This is because, ultimately, these people have no other option but to rely on public transport.

Instead of raising bus fares, costs can be cut elsewhere. For example, there is no need to upgrade any more bus shelters. Commuters will not spend a lot of time waiting at these places. So why spend extra money on beautifying bus shelters with costly materials and artistic designs? A plain but functional shelter would do nicely.

ComfortDelGro, which owns SBS Transit and the north-east MRT line, hinted fare changes may include concessions for low income groups, the poor and the needy. While the exact definition of who might qualify as being in this group has yet to be spelt out, it is likely that a substantial number of Singaporeans do not fall within this category, yet could still be affected by the fare hike. Why go to so much trouble to grant only a small portion of people concessions, while making the majority pay the difference? Why implement such a policy when one knows it will invoke widespread unhappiness?

A fare hike might be considered justifiable if people are called upon to make a necessary sacrifice to meet an unexpected contingency. For example, Singaporeans donated generously to aid the victims of last December's tsunami disaster.

It has been said transport operators have a tough decision to make. In my opinion, it is hardly a decision at all. Consider all the present factors and one will find little to favour a fare hike. While there is no economic crisis, the future of the recovering economy is uncertain, due to international affairs, globalisation and the scarcity of oil. Will the working class, student community, the unemployed and non-car owners agree and readily accept a fare hike without resentment?

Public transport is not merely a commercial service, but also an important social concern affecting the lives of many in the population. The vested interests of the majority should be considered carefully before a decision leading to a fare hike is made.

The writer has a MSc in Strategic Studies and is a member of the International Institute of Strategic Studies, London. If you have a view on this, tell us at [email protected]

Copyright MediaCorp Press Ltd. All rights reserved.
Old May 9th, 2005, 09:58 PM   #1025
huaiwei
The Monkey King

My friend and I were speculating that it will be a political ploy. They apply for fare inrease, and the government will be seen as an angel by rejecting their applications. Elections round the corner...no?

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
Old May 10th, 2005, 12:12 PM   #1026
huaiwei
The Monkey King

附近组屋数量已达“最低要求” 万国站启用仍无期

● 谢仲贤

李欣赏(摄)

万国地铁站附近的组屋单位已达到2000个,有足够乘客量维持该站的经营成本。可是,万国站到底何时启用,还是个未知数。

最近,万国站旁有961个组屋单位竣工,居民已陆续搬进去,加上那里原有的1000多个单位,总数已经达到“最低要求”。

东北地铁线在2003年通车时,新捷运因乘客量不足而延后启用万国站。当时,陆路交通管理局估计,只要那一带有约2000个组屋单位,就有足够乘客量维持万国站的经营成本。

白沙—榜鹅集选区国会议员张有福昨天告诉本报,这2000多个单位都是在万国站400公尺范围内,非常靠近地铁站。因此,他认为已经没有其他理由再延迟启用地铁站。

他说:“不应该让新捷运自行决定地铁站的启用日期,因为对他们来说,提早启用会影响他们在那里提供的巴士服务,所以政府和公共交通理事会应该干涉,促请他们尽早启用。”

张有福认为,万国站理想的启用日期是明年8月之前。到时,另一个预购组屋项目The Coris的第一部分工程将完工,为该区增加多400多个单位。

谈到为何建议明年8月前启用,张有福笑说,这是因为2003年8月,总理李显龙为东北地铁系统开幕时,曾表示只要地铁站附近的组屋能迅速发展起来,万国站可在两三年内启用。到了明年8月,这“两三年”的期限就到了。

本报向康福德高集团询问万国站启用的时间表,不过企业联络总监陈爱玲答复时,没有给予明确的日期。

她说:“我们知道万国地铁站周围的发展计划,并密切留意它们的进展。任何跟启用地铁站有关的决定,将取决于组屋工程竣工的时间。”

万国站即共豢陆菰艘脖匦氤械R欢ǖ奈蕹杀荆ㄈ繁5靥灸谒幸瞧魉媸笨赏度敕瘛2还掳崴担骸罢庑┓延弥徽颊龅靥低匙苡丝У囊恍〔糠帧!薄 ?p>  建屋发展局为了给万国站制造需求,优先在附近地段兴建组屋。自2003年以来,建屋局公布将兴建的单位近3000个,预计都会在2009年之前完工。  

两年前搬到后港51街的陈志聪(33岁),每天都必须乘搭短程巴士到后港地铁站,再转搭地铁到大巴窑办公。短程巴士车程介于10至15分钟,如果步行到万国地铁站,只需7至8分钟。

他受访时说:“其实乘搭东北线直接到市区很方便,但我却每次都得先到后港地铁站,很麻烦也很浪费时间。”

跟妻子同住的陈志聪说,建屋局在万国站附近推出的组屋都很受欢迎,他希望当局能加速兴建工程,免得他们引颈长盼。

实际上,建屋局已经加快兴建步伐,一年多来在万国站旁已经推出至少四个预购组屋项目,预购率都超额。

===========

The above article basically questions why the Buangkok MRT station stays closed when there is an increasing number of buildings around it. Personally, I think the article seems abit impatient. The blocks are still under construction now, arent they?

Old May 13th, 2005, 02:01 AM   #1027
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

May 13, 2005
FIRST-QUARTER RESULTS
ComfortDelGro profit drops slightly to $55m

BUS, train and taxi operator ComfortDelGro yesterday reported a marginal fall in first-quarter profit as fuel and staff costs rose and competition in the local market intensified.

It said net profit for the quarter ended March 31 slipped 0.2 per cent to $54.6 million, even though revenues increased 6.4 per cent to $540.9 million.

Amid high oil prices, rising interest rates and inflation, ComfortDelGro said the global economic outlook for the rest of the year is uncertain and will pose challenges to the company.

It said first-quarter earnings were hit by higher fuel and staff expenses. Even after hedging, energy and diesel costs rose by 24.2 per cent, or $5.6 million, during the quarter.

Last year's earnings had also been boosted by a one-off tax reversal of $7.3 million.

Driving revenue growth were ComfortDelGro's overseas businesses. Revenue from bus operations in Britain and China, for example, helped boost overall bus revenues by 8 per cent to $276 million, offsetting a 1 per cent slide in takings at home by SBS Transit.

'We are facing challenging times. High fuel prices and increased competition are issues we have to deal with on a daily basis but I am confident we will prevail,' said chief executive Kua Hong Pak.

BRYAN LEE

Copyright © 2005 Singapore Press Holdings. All rights reserved.
Old May 14th, 2005, 04:20 PM   #1028
heirloom

raffles xchange

by cliff

heirloom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2005, 04:39 PM   #1029
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Where the freak is that??

Old May 14th, 2005, 04:58 PM   #1030
heirloom

uh... raffles place mrt station?
Old May 14th, 2005, 05:28 PM   #1031
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Uh. Never heard of it, and I tot its in Buona Vista area.

Old May 14th, 2005, 05:51 PM   #1032
heirloom

huh where in buona vista would look like this?
Old May 14th, 2005, 07:16 PM   #1033
ignoramus

No offence but the picture quality really doesn't do justice to the actual place. haha.........

But anyways that place is freakin amazing. It looks like another CityLink Mall, just that this has low ceilings....... Looks spectacular...

What's more spectacular is the transformation from Raffles Place Shopping Arcade (run down, dull, dim) to Raffles Xchange (A CityLink Mall lookalike, hip and modern).

Looks totally like a shopping mall and not an underground pedestrian air conditioned walkway connecting the office buildings around the station.

The tactile guidance system even extends from the MRT station to this Raffles Xchange.

Was there just 1.5 hours ago...........
ignoramus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2005, 07:19 PM   #1034
heirloom

i hate that it looks like citylink mall actually. such a ripoff. and they didnt do a good job of copying. worse still - tampines mrt is now linked to tampines bus interchange by another citylink ripoff.
Old May 14th, 2005, 07:23 PM   #1035
ignoramus

Think of it from this perspective.......Would you rather have a Raffles Xchange OR A Raffles Place Shopping Arcade?

But I noticed one small detail. Near the MRT entrance at the basement, a ''new'' sign still shows ''[Land Transport Logo] C1 Raffles Place [MRT Logo]''.....

Oh man, the person who designed that sign is really outdated.............
Old May 14th, 2005, 07:28 PM   #1036
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

I dun think it looks that nice........but then of course better than the previous offering......too dark and narrow......
Old May 14th, 2005, 07:29 PM   #1037
ignoramus

The Raffles Xchange looks good IMO.

That Tampines link thing is actually called EastLink Mall.......I agree that in this case it sucks cause to the left is the new EastLink Mall (Underneath the MRT viaducts) whereas to the right is the old and ugly existing Bus Interchange pedestrian walkway. Its so ugly seeing the old and new together. And the fact that this mall isn't air conditioned sucks too. Just demolish the bus interchange pedestrian walkway and it will look fine.........

On the other hand Raffles Xchange looks totally new and is air conditioned.

The retail shops at the other MRT stations looks better than before, with more variety and better shop fronts (though they still look average). But what can one expect, these shops are located in MRT stations in the suburbs. No point designing a super high tech modern looking thing...

But its good they are generating tons of rent from all this retail activity in its stations.......................finally space is being put to productive use......
Old May 14th, 2005, 07:31 PM   #1038
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignoramus
The Raffles Xchange looks good IMO.

That Tampines link thing is actually called EastLink Mall.......I agree that in this case it sucks cause to the left is the new EastLink Mall (Underneath the MRT viaducts) whereas to the right is the old and ugly existing Bus Interchange pedestrian walkway. Its so ugly seeing the old and new together. And the fact that this mall isn't air conditioned sucks too. Just demolish the bus interchange pedestrian walkway and it will look fine.........

On the other hand Raffles Xchange looks totally new and is air conditioned.

The retail shops at the other MRT stations looks better than before, with more variety and better shop fronts (though they still look average). But what can one expect, these shops are located in MRT stations in the suburbs. No point designing a super high tech modern looking thing...

But its good they are generating tons of rent from all this retail activity in its stations.......................finally space is being put to productive use......
Haha....ok....maybe I need to take a closer look.......
Old May 14th, 2005, 08:49 PM   #1039
heirloom

Quote:
Would you rather have a Raffles Xchange OR A Raffles Place Shopping Arcade?
i'd love a raffles exchange that doesnt steal wholesale from some other uhm thing. its not as if they got the same architect to do raffles xchange - then i wouldnt mind cos no stealing is involved. anyway i also like my mrt stations to have different looks. that way when i wake up in the mrt i dont panic wondering if i've passed my station.
Old May 25th, 2005, 12:15 PM   #1040
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

25 May 2005

Stage 2 of Circle Line about 60% complete: Land Transport Authority

By Dominique Loh, Channel NewsAsia

SINGAPORE : Stage Two of the Circle Line construction is about 60 percent complete and the line is on time for the 2010 opening.

The 5.6 kilometre-long track includes five stations and even boasts a world's first - a purpose-built underground depot - at a cost of some $645.5 million.

The brand new MacPherson Station will be completed in four years' time.

The tunnels connecting to the station are already in place and final fittings are still being carried out.

Engineers said Stage 2 might even finish ahead of Stage 1, which has been delayed by the Nicoll Highway collapse.

Various safety measures are also in place at post-Nicoll Highway.

For example, it now takes five signatures and two forms before an excavation is conducted, compared to one signature before.

In his first site tour, the new Land Transport Authority chief is upbeat about progress made since the cave-in at Nicoll Highway, also known as Project 824.

Yam Ah Mee, Chief Executive of LTA, said: "It is understandable the officers involved in 824, some of their morale were affected and I spoke to some of them.

"I believe the morale will turn around quickly and these officers we will see what are the lessons to be learned and progress from there, to make sure our project management is continously strengthened."

Workers at the Circle Line construction have clocked some 13 million man hours, with one of the lowest accident rates in the industry.

With the additional measures, LTA is confident of completing Stage 2 in 2008.

The Circle Line could also open in stages, depending on the speed of construction at other sites.

The underground train depot covers an area of about 11 hectares.

Due to space constraints on the surface, this was built underground. When completed, it is able to hold up to 78 trains.

But not everything is on the level since Stage 2 construction started near the Paya Lebar area.

Residents complained of ground movements which caused walls and floors to crack, and some houses to tilt.

After many rounds of investigations and analyses, LTA confirmed the buildings in the area are safe and sound.

Soil investigations revealed the area near Tai Keng Gardens is subject to long-term soil settlement.

In cases where cracks appeared, the agency even paid for the repairs and continues to monitor the situation.

To date, it has spent more than $130,000 repairing those cracks.

And to strengthen the ground in affected areas, LTA is also building an underground permanent wall structure to prevent any soil movement. - CNA/de

Copyright © 2005 MCN International Pte Ltd

Tags
metro, mrt, singapore