daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 15th, 2005, 02:39 AM   #1081
heirloom

Likes (Received): 2

why is it to be completed so late? given the recent history of mrt construction, it seems almost likely the completion will be delayed.
heirloom no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 15th, 2005, 06:35 AM   #1082
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

June 15, 2005
Circle Line extension set to liven up New Downtown and CBD

By Daryl Loo

PROPERTY developers said yesterday that three new MRT stations to be built as an offshoot of the Circle Line will add life and excitement to both the New Downtown area and the Central Business District (CBD).

The developers say the MRT extension will significantly enhance the appeal of the proposed business and financial centre (BFC) and integrated resort (IR) sites at Marina Bay.

Commuters, tourists and other visitors will find it much easier to get to these new developments as the MRT extension will include Bayfront station next to the IR and Landmark station beside the BFC.

Hong Leong Group spokesman Gerry de Silva said: 'We have expressed our interest in the BFC and the IR at Marina Bay. The announcement of the new stations only reinforces our interest in these two major projects in the area.'

Easier access resulting from the extension, he added, would also liven up the group's office buildings such as Republic Plaza and Hong Leong Building, and its condominium The Sail @ Marina Bay, currently being built.

A third station, the previously unannounced Cross Street station at the junction of Cross and Telok Ayer streets, will also boost traffic to other commercial developments in the CBD, developers told The Straits Times.

Far East Organization spokesman Chia Boon Pin, visibly surprised at the inclusion of the station, said: 'This is fantastic news for Far East Square, because while we're bustling in the day, our nightlife has been rather weak.'

Far East Square, a collection of restaurants, retailers and offices housed in restored shophouses, will adjoin the Cross Street station when the extension is completed in 2012.

Following the announcement of the new extension, the Government also said yesterday that it will extend the BFC's tender closing date from next Tuesday to July 7.

This is for prospective BFC tenderers to factor in timing requirements for building an underground walkway and retail spaces that will link to the Landmark station, it said.

Mr Donald Han, the managing director of property consultancy Cushman & Wakefield, expects the eventual successful BFC bidder to be encouraged to speed up the initial eight-year completion deadline given for the project's first phase.

'If the extension is finished in 2012, they'll want to take advantage of the passenger traffic as soon as possible,' he said.

Knight Frank's director of research and consultancy, Mr Nicholas Mak, feels the new extension, in particular the Cross Street station, could give older office buildings in the area a new lease of life.

'The authorities tend to release additional plot ratios for developments near MRT stations. Coupled with the expected rise in traffic, owners may be more willing to redevelop these older buildings.'

Copyright © 2005 Singapore Press Holdings. All rights reserved.
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2005, 04:52 PM   #1083
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

15 June 2005

New Downtown Extension MRT line expected to boost businesses

By Farah Abdul Rahim, Channel NewsAsia

SINGAPORE : The new Downtown Extension MRT line will boost business in the surrounding areas, but some businesses are concerned they would suffer a dip during the construction period.

This is a typical lunchtime scene at a coffeeshop along Amoy Street. But would the crowds still be there once construction work starts at Cross Street?

That is top on the mind of 45-year-old coffeeshop owner Michael Yeo, who just set up shop two weeks ago.

Michael said: "The worry is that this is an old conserved shophouse, I am afraid the construction could affect the structure.

"When it is ready, the new line would bring in more business as we will be next to the MRT station, but we would have to put up with five years of construction work and that is no joke!"

He is not alone.

Patrick Wong, General Manager of Killiney Kopitiam, ""It will help us in moving people around, bringing people who previously did not have access to our outlet and hop on the MRT. That is the longer term. In the shorter term, we have got to grin and bear it."

Those working in the area had mixed reactions.

Veronica Zuzarte said: "It opens the area to families especially near Chinatown and Far East, so it would benefit families and business people around the area."

Noelle Tan said: "It is already very convenient to get to work and I get off at Raffles Place...I would like to see more space being kept that way and not being scattered with so many MRT stations."

When construction work kicks off in 2007 for the Cross Street station, motorists and businesses in the area would have to put up with major traffic diversions.

It is the same picture at Chinatown. Businesses worry that the construction work and road diversions could lead to a repeat of their experience during the building of the North East Line, with concerns over how to sustain their business during the construction period.

Charles Ho, Chinatown Business Association, said: "What we can do is to make sure we have more activities in Chinatown and in terms of construction, discuss with LTA and come up with a plan to minimise inconvenience for commuters and shoppers.

"Hopefully, we can meet up and conduct a dialogue session together with businesses and LTA."

LTA said extensive consultancy studies, which include soil investigations and checks on the structure of buildings along the new line, were expected to be done by year's end or early next year. - CNA/de

Copyright © 2005 MCN International Pte Ltd
Old June 16th, 2005, 09:45 AM   #1084
hyacinthus
Success and Happiness

Likes (Received): 3

Most businesses in that area are patronised by office workers. I doubt it would affect much. No matter what, we still need to eat in the vicinity within an hour or so.
hyacinthus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2005, 06:26 AM   #1085
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyacinthus
Most businesses in that area are patronised by office workers. I doubt it would affect much. No matter what, we still need to eat in the vicinity within an hour or so.
I supposed if the MRT is at the doorstep, the lunch could perhaps venture to more place for lunch.....
Old June 18th, 2005, 04:28 AM   #1086
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

June 18, 2005
Accident rates: LTA cuts fines for cab firms by 70%
Full waiver for Comfort, SMRT. But Yellow-Top, Premier to pay full fines

By Goh Chin Lian

CAB companies have convinced the Land Transport Authority (LTA) to reduce by 70 per cent the fines slapped on them for failing to meet safety standards from September to November last year.

The LTA has waived nearly $35,000 of the more than $50,000 in fines imposed on six companies after their cabbies were found not to be at fault in a number of accidents, following the conclusion of investigations by Traffic Police.

The cab companies had criticised the standards as harsh and maintained that in some cases, their drivers were only partly at fault, if at all.

Yesterday, an LTA spokesman said the accident rates were originally based on cases where there was 'prima facie' evidence that the taxi drivers were at fault.

The LTA had subsequently decided to include in their safety assessments only those accidents in which cabbies were found to be at fault 'after the Traffic Police has completed and concluded its investigations'.

Comfort Transportation's $15,269 fine, and SMRT Taxis' $3,527 penalty have been waived in full. CityCab had its fine reduced from $22,852 to $7,805; and Smart Automobile's was cut from $3,000 to $2,000.

Only two firms have to pay the full penalty: Yellow-Top Cab has to pay $4,019, and Premier Taxis, $2,000. Trans-Cab Services was not fined.

The most recent quarterly audit of taxi service standards released yesterday covers phone bookings, vehicle inspection and customer satisfaction from January to March this year - but excludes accident rates.

The LTA expects to make the rates known within the next two months when investigations of the accidents are concluded, and the figures finalised.

The LTA will fine three of the seven firms between $3,000 and $25,000 each for failing to meet taxi booking standards for two consecutive months.

CityCab, a unit of transport giant ComfortDelGro and with Singapore's second largest fleet of about 5,000 cabs, has been fined $24,633 for allocating taxis to fewer than nine in 10 call bookings.

It was fined $15,147 for the same problem in the previous audit, and failed in its appeal.

ComfortDelGro spokesman Tammy Tan said CityCab is once again appealing the audit's findings because the migration to a new dispatch system from November last year to March this year may have led to an 89.83 per cent allocation rate this January, 0.17 per cent short of the 90 per cent passing rate.

She said: 'We have been told that CityCab failed because LTA allows figures to be rounded up only one decimal place. Needless to say, we are disappointed that we failed because of a mathematical computation.'

Newcomers Smart and Trans-Cab have been fined for the first time, following the end of their one-year grace to meet taxi booking standards. Another newcomer, Premier, passed and did not incur any fines.

Smart has been fined $4,000 on two counts: It failed to allocate taxis to enough callers, and failed to have callers wait no more than five minutes to be told if a taxi is available in at least nine out of 10 calls. Managing director Johnny Harjantho said having a small fleet of 460 cabs means it takes longer to find an empty taxi.

Trans-Cab, which has 960 cabs, has to pay $3,073 for failing to answer at least nine in 10 of its call bookings.

Operations manager Jasmine Tan said the company will spend more than $300,000 to improve its booking system by next month,including increasing the number of phone lines from four to 10.

Copyright © 2005 Singapore Press Holdings. All rights reserved.
Old June 20th, 2005, 11:03 AM   #1087
littlearea

Likes (Received): 18

Today is 20 June, still remember the NEL opening in 20/6/2003.
littlearea no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2005, 11:06 AM   #1088
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlearea
Today is 20 June, still remember the NEL opening in 20/6/2003.
Haha.....so today is 2nd anniversary??
Old June 22nd, 2005, 07:05 AM   #1089
ignoramus

Likes (Received): 4

2 years and there have been no major hiccups...cool...unexpected...
ignoramus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2005, 07:12 AM   #1090
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignoramus
2 years and there have been no major hiccups...cool...unexpected...
Yeah.....hope it stays that way.....
Old June 24th, 2005, 06:45 AM   #1091
ignoramus

Anyone who has noticed that Bishan Station on the North South Line looks as though its being torn apart as construction works for the new Circle Line Station adjacent to the existing station progresses may not be wrong after all.

http://www.platformscreendoors.com/p...ts/current.php

Bishan Station, Singapore

Metro System with Driver
6 car trains x 4 doors
2 platforms x 24 doors = 48 doorways
Main Contractor: LTA
Signal Interface: TBA
Retrofit on one Platform
Opening 2008

Apparently, the LTA is retrofitting Bishan Station with Platform Screen Doors, meaning this will be the second Platform Screen Door retrofit project on operating platforms in Asia, or even in the world, after Hong Kong.

Secondly, this means that the neither above ground nor underground nor at grade Bishan Station will become more like an underground station.
Old June 24th, 2005, 07:33 AM   #1092
heirloom

only bishan? actually i think those platform doors are pretty ugly. wish they could make above ground stations air conditioned glass enclosures or something.
Old June 24th, 2005, 07:46 AM   #1093
ignoramus

Westinghouse platform doors are ugly??????????????????? are you sure????????????????? They look SLEEK!!!!!!!!!! hahaha...

Yah only Bishan cause I guess its the only somewhat underground station that doesn't have them, and that because its going to be integrated with the Circle Line station on the same level.........makes sense to install them too...
Old June 24th, 2005, 07:49 AM   #1094
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
Westinghouse platform doors are ugly??????????????????? are you sure????????????????? They look SLEEK!!!!!!!!!! hahaha...

Yah only Bishan cause I guess its the only somewhat underground station that doesn't have them, and that because its going to be integrated with the Circle Line station on the same level.........makes sense to install them too...
Circle line station's platform on the same level?? How do they link the 2 platform??
Old June 24th, 2005, 07:50 AM   #1095
ignoramus

I don't mean like on the same B1 level, I meant more like both are underground...
Old June 24th, 2005, 07:56 AM   #1096
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
I don't mean like on the same B1 level, I meant more like both are underground...
I see.....actually i think it makes more sense to located the circle line platform below the current Bishan platform......
Old June 24th, 2005, 08:29 AM   #1097
heirloom

uh can i have a pic of the platform doors?
Old June 24th, 2005, 03:38 PM   #1098
ignoramus

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystan03
I see.....actually i think it makes more sense to located the circle line platform below the current Bishan platform......
heirloom: The platform doors are the same you see on the NEL & Changi Airport Extension, not those bulky ones you see on the older MRT lines.

babystan03: I think the Circle Line station is beside the existing one, perhaps connected the way Outram Park NEL station and Outram Park EWL station is connected, where one just goes down one level to the NEL concourse level and then down another level to the NEL platform level from the EWL...I think if they build the CCL station beneath the NSL station Bishan station would crumble...after all it wasn't built as an interchange...and the station looks fragile...after all it was the first of the stations to be built.
Old June 24th, 2005, 03:43 PM   #1099
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
heirloom: The platform doors are the same you see on the NEL & Changi Airport Extension, not those bulky ones you see on the older MRT lines.

babystan03: I think the Circle Line station is beside the existing one, perhaps connected the way Outram Park NEL station and Outram Park EWL station is connected, where one just goes down one level to the NEL concourse level and then down another level to the NEL platform level from the EWL...I think if they build the CCL station beneath the NSL station Bishan station would crumble...after all it wasn't built as an interchange...and the station looks fragile...after all it was the first of the stations to be built.
Hahaha.....I guess they would have to build it the Outram way.......my thinking is just an ideal (like city hall & raffles places)...... Dun worry, nothing will crumble......
Old June 24th, 2005, 03:52 PM   #1100
heirloom

Quote:
The platform doors are the same you see on the NEL & Changi Airport Extension, not those bulky ones you see on the older MRT lines.
oh i thought they were the half height oneslike in the disneyland station

Tags
metro, mrt, singapore