daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 24th, 2005, 05:04 PM   #1101
ignoramus

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloom
oh i thought they were the half height oneslike in the disneyland station
The ones in Sunny Bay Station in Hong Kong actually looks good, and with further improvements to the design (the platform gates could be built closer to the platform edge, meaning there would be no gap in between the gate and the platform edge for dumb passengers to be stuck in between), they could actually be implemented in Singapore. After all, with this solved, the SMRT no longer has an excuse to not have this facility installed due to risks of people getting trapped in between.

Then again, we have to get past the high costs. I can't imagine paying like 5 cents per train ride more for 15 years or so (Commuters are already complaining now already).
ignoramus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2005, 05:08 PM   #1102
ignoramus

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystan03
Hahaha.....I guess they would have to build it the Outram way.......my thinking is just an ideal (like city hall & raffles places)...... Dun worry, nothing will crumble......
Before the school holiday ends, you might want to take pics of the construction works above ground at the Circle Line Bishan Station site and in the old Bishan Station as well, as well as the VivoCity and Sentosa Express construction works...why? Because you are sadly blessed with a digital camera...and perhaps pics taken from the train as it traverses through the suburbs of Singapore...as well as the new multilingual signs and the new infosigns (route maps) on the platforms. haha... Why is it only me who thinks of taking pics of such stuff...oh yah I know why, I am a rail freak...
Old June 24th, 2005, 05:14 PM   #1103
ignoramus

LTA, SMRT & SBS Transit has this weird habit of not publishing detailed information online or in the news. They just show the basics and thats it...What about people like me, which could number quite a few, who demand to know more...

Examples include how many stations now have lifts. I had to go into a lift to see the poster to know how many stations have lifts already.

Like how Bishan Station is going to have PSDs. I had to go to the manufacturer's website to see what new PSD projects they have in Singapore.

And what about the different types of train models. I had to visit all the train manufacturer's websites to find out what models they were. C151, C651, C751B etc...

haiz..........
Old June 24th, 2005, 05:24 PM   #1104
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignoramus
Before the school holiday ends, you might want to take pics of the construction works above ground at the Circle Line Bishan Station site and in the old Bishan Station as well, as well as the VivoCity and Sentosa Express construction works...why? Because you are sadly blessed with a digital camera...and perhaps pics taken from the train as it traverses through the suburbs of Singapore...as well as the new multilingual signs and the new infosigns (route maps) on the platforms. haha... Why is it only me who thinks of taking pics of such stuff...oh yah I know why, I am a rail freak...

Maybe u should consider buying one digicam.....not very exp nowaday.....

I'll see if i can fit some of those in my schedule(quite difficult leh, me not a train guru like u... ).....
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2005, 06:25 PM   #1105
ignoramus

Quote:

Maybe u should consider buying one digicam.....not very exp nowaday.....

I'll see if i can fit some of those in my schedule(quite difficult leh, me not a train guru like u... ).....
I could and I can afford to...

Its just I can't decide on which camera is best for me, one not too professional to the extent of being expensive nor too lousy that it is too cheap...

And I keep expecting prices to keep falling....haha......
Old June 24th, 2005, 06:41 PM   #1106
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignoramus
I could and I can afford to...

Its just I can't decide on which camera is best for me, one not too professional to the extent of being expensive nor too lousy that it is too cheap...

And I keep expecting prices to keep falling....haha......
Then buy!!!! Then i can see a lot of train pictures....

Heard from Szehoong, the Canon IXUS 700 not bad......
Old June 24th, 2005, 06:47 PM   #1107
heirloom

Quote:
The ones in Sunny Bay Station in Hong Kong actually looks good, and with further improvements to the design (the platform gates could be built closer to the platform edge, meaning there would be no gap in between the gate and the platform edge for dumb passengers to be stuck in between), they could actually be implemented in Singapore
i think half height looks very stumpy leh. i would prefer full height ones

and there's no excuse for having un-airconditioned above ground stations.. singapore is like a million times hotter than hong kong!!!!
heirloom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2005, 07:15 PM   #1108
ignoramus

Quote:
i think half height looks very stumpy leh. i would prefer full height ones

and there's no excuse for having un-airconditioned above ground stations.. singapore is like a million times hotter than hong kong!!!!
haha...I AGREE! especially when we have more above grd sections than they do...

Then again I prefer the fresh air on rainy or cold days....

And I don't want to pay a surcharge of 10 cents everytime i ride the MRT because of the installation of the PSDs.
Old June 24th, 2005, 07:22 PM   #1109
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

^
Haha....Singapore got cold days one mair??
Old June 24th, 2005, 07:47 PM   #1110
ignoramus

Quote:
^
YES! When it keeps raining and raining...Super cold!!!!!!!!
Old June 26th, 2005, 06:54 AM   #1111
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by huaiwei
Muahaah....got people sit meh? Noiw weather us so sucky!
Got.....the bus always full....
Old June 26th, 2005, 06:56 AM   #1112
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
i'm not saying i agree with the changes. yes i too find it strange that they're not serving sentosa cove - perhaps the people there dont have to work or they find it an embarrassment to be on public transport.
They most probably have their own lexus......
Old June 26th, 2005, 08:04 AM   #1113
heirloom

i always wonder how the children travel though... chauffeurs?
Old June 27th, 2005, 02:12 PM   #1114
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

27 June 2005

Tincel to extend Raffles City basement levels

Tincel Properities is spending about 40 million dollars to extend the shopping area at the basement levels of Raffles City.

The move will more than double the amount of commercial space at basement one, and provide a link to the upcoming MRT Circle Line's Convention Centre Station.

General Manager of Tincel Properties, Mr Anthony Yip Chee Keong says the extension is part of the asset enhancement program for the shopping mall, which started about 18 months ago.

Mr Yip says the new extended area will be based on a particular theme.

"Really, if you are to put it in one sentence, it's a comtemporary marketplace with a fusion of fashion, food, music, books, lifestyle in a sort of organic and interactive setting."

Construction of the extension started in February and should be ready by July next year.

Some 30 to 50 new retail outlets will be added.

Tincel Properties hope the extension will help to boost the monthly volume of shoppers at Raffles City up by 15 to 20 percent, from the current 2.2 million shoppers.

The link to the MRT station will be opened closer to the operational date for the MRT station, estimated to be in 20-10.

This link will also offer space for retail outlets.

Tincel Properties is an associate of Raffles Holdings.

Copyright © 2005 MediaCorp Radio Internet Development Unit
Old June 27th, 2005, 02:29 PM   #1115
redstone
Lurker

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
^
depends on your definition!

Cold as in -20 degrees C or 20 degrees?
redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2005, 02:49 PM   #1116
heirloom

will it mean lesser parking spots?
Old June 28th, 2005, 05:40 AM   #1117
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

June 25, 2005
Touts, pirate cabbies take weary tourists for a ride
They confuse them with fast talk, charging $35 from airport to city

By Goh Chin Lian

THEY offer to take weary travellers from the United States, Europe and Australia into the city from Changi Airport - then they take them for a ride.

Instead of the normal $20 or so fare, these visitors end up paying as much as $45 for the trip, in a private mini-bus or a limousine taxi.

Going by the accounts of cheated tourists and the cabbies who wait in designated queues for fares, touts and pirate taxis are common at the airport.

In a letter to The Straits Times Forum page yesterday, Mr Jason Grafstrom from Canada, Mr Hamza Cakir from Turkey, and Ms Deborah Lundberg from the US, said their stay here was 'scarred' as they were fooled into paying $35 to $45 for a ride to the Betel Box Hostel in Joo Chiat Road, when it should have cost them at most $20 by cab, with the airport and midnight surcharges.

Ms Lundberg, 25, told The Straits Times yesterday she was exhausted when she arrived on Tuesday at around midnight, after a 6 1/2-hour flight from Tokyo.

She was heading towards the taxi queue when a man approached her and asked if she needed a cab.

'I said yes, and was going to the line, but he said, no, come with me. It would be $35, not much more, and you don't have to wait. He was speaking very fast. It was confusing.'

The architect, here for the first time to take up a job, thought such offers were commonplace until the hostel staff alerted her.

They said they had encountered one such case almost every week since last October.

The backpackers' hostel has since included a warning about such cheats in its e-mail confirmation of room bookings.

The staff confronted the CityCab driver who brought Ms Lundberg from the airport, but he insisted he could charge a $35 fee for the limousine, which is the going price if it is booked at the airport's transport counter.

ComfortDelGro spokesman Tammy Tan said the company, which has the largest fleet of taxis here, has ended his hire agreement as he was touting. It has also apologised to Ms Lundberg and refunded her fare.

This is the only such complaint the company has received since January last year, she added.

SMRT, the second-largest cab company, said it had received six since January last year, but only one warranted a verbal warning.

However, one of its limousine drivers was caught soliciting at the airport early on Wednesday morning. The man, who was out on bail for a previous touting offence, was arrested.

Over the last two years, the Land Transport Authority has fined 19 licensed taxi drivers $200 each for soliciting for passengers.

Two people have also been convicted in the last six months for illegally using private vehicles to carry passengers for a fare.

The LTA did not specify their punishment, but the penalty is a fine of up to $3,000 and/or a jail term of up to six months. The vehicle could also be seized.

The touting problem has prompted the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS) to deploy airport auxiliary police in the airport's arrival halls this year.

Complaints have since dropped 'significantly', said the CAAS, from 20 last year to three so far this year.

But cabbies say illegitimate limousine drivers are still on the prowl for customers at the airport and claim they know of at least 10 people who are operating pirate taxis there.

They suggested taxi drivers wear stickers to identify themselves and that limousine services be better promoted.

Copyright © 2005 Singapore Press Holdings. All rights reserved.

June 28, 2005
Cabby at airport accused of trespass

A CABBY arrested on Wednesday morning for soliciting for passengers at Changi Airport has been charged with criminal trespass.

At the time, SMRT limousine driver Leong Chee Kong, 39, was out on bail for another earlier charge of criminal trespass on May 14.

He is alleged to have committed the offences at the arrival hall of Terminal 1 near and after midnight, 'with intent to annoy' the management of the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore.

If found guilty, he faces a maximum jail term of three months and/or a fine of up to $500.

A charge of criminal trespass carries a less severe penalty than one of touting, which is a maximum jail term of six months and/or a fine of up to $5,000.

In the case of a second or subsequent conviction, the maximum jail term and fine are doubled.

Leong's case will be heard again on Aug 15 and 16, when several witnesses are expected to testify.

The issue of airport touts was highlighted on Friday, when three visitors here wrote to The Straits Times Forum page to say they were fooled into paying $35 to $45 for a ride to a hostel in Joo Chiat Road, when it should have cost them at most $20 by cab, with all the surcharges.

Mr Jason Grafstrom from Canada and Mr Hamza Cakir from Turkey took separately the same mini-van being used illegally as a taxi, while Ms Deborah Lundberg from the United States boarded a CityCab limousine taxi.

CityCab ended the driver's hire agreement for touting.

Copyright © 2005 Singapore Press Holdings. All rights reserved.
Old June 29th, 2005, 11:22 AM   #1118
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Sentosa monorail (29/6/05):

Old June 29th, 2005, 01:41 PM   #1119
heirloom

the monorail is over the bridge?