daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 30th, 2005, 09:38 AM   #1241
ignoramus

Likes (Received): 4

© ignoramus

Singapore Changi Airport's New Skytrain! 2 Car ''Crystal Mover'' Train By Mitsubishi Heavy Industries - Being Tested

Terminal 2 Airside's New Skytrain Station
ignoramus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 30th, 2005, 01:03 PM   #1242
heirloom

Likes (Received): 2

uhm... it isn't very nice in the rendering at all
heirloom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2005, 01:12 PM   #1243
ignoramus

© ignoramus

Potong Pasir Station, Entrance

Changi Airport Station, Yet To Be Used Passenger Service Centre @ Terminal 3 End
Old December 3rd, 2005, 05:13 AM   #1244
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

The New Changi Skytrain, a closer look....

babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2005, 06:48 AM   #1245
nazrey

Likes (Received): 11239

wOWW! I like it a lot !
nazrey está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2005, 09:40 PM   #1246
ignoramus

News reports on 3 December 2005 from the Singapore Straits Times paper note that the ezlink card may be integrated with the cashcard into a hybrid card by 2007 so that these cards can be finally be used for the huge network of ERP enabled carparks and ERP expressway gantries. Anyone has access to the Straits Times Interactive or has the newspaper article or has any information about this??? By combining both the cashcard and the ezlink card, the future hybrid ezlink card can be used for basically almost everything as whatever the ezlink card cannot be used for, the cashcard can be used for it...
Old December 4th, 2005, 07:37 PM   #1247
Andrew

Likes (Received): 36

Paving the way for a cashless economy - cool (or scary depending on your point of view)! If it happens anywhere I'd imagine Singapore will be one of the first. Would be very cool and would make life a lot easier but it's a little bit Orwellian sounding, another way for the state to spy on you if all transactions are done electronically. Haha that reminds me I got stopped and my bag searched today at Bugis MRT, I wonder if I look scary, or maybe I'm being spied on... Oooooohhh
Andrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2005, 12:34 PM   #1248
heirloom

they searched ur bag?? who searched?
heirloom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2005, 05:24 PM   #1249
Andrew

Likes (Received): 36

MRT staff, I think she was just bored and wanted to appear busy! lol
Andrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2005, 04:08 PM   #1250
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Merz Cab

Old December 8th, 2005, 06:22 AM   #1251
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Free bus to Great World City from Orchard

Old December 8th, 2005, 10:52 AM   #1252
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

08 December 2005

SMRT Taxis launches good service promise with Tip-the-Driver Initiative

SINGAPORE : SMRT Corporation has introduced a new initiative to promote and ensure quality customer service in its taxis.

It centres on the idea of cab drivers giving good service and the customers tipping them for it.

The SMRT Taxis Service Promise and Money-back Guarantee, as well as Tip-the-Drivers Initiative, was launched on Thursday.

Under these initiatives, taxis drivers will be encouraged to meet or exceed service standards and commitments like greeting customers when they board the taxi and asking them for their preferred route.

It also includes providing customers a safe journey, keeping the taxis clean and ensuring taxi meters are switched on at the start of the journey and correct fares are charged.

In return, the customers will be encouraged to show their appreciation by tipping.

If they are not satisfied with the service provided, they can get their money back.

The customer can contact SMRT Taxis' 24-hour hotline at 6555 8888 to give feedback on how the service can be improved and SMRT will return him his fare.

CEO and president of SMRT Ms Saw Phaik Hwa says the initiative reaffirms its commitment to provide good service and enhance the travel experience of its customers.

And when customers in turn express their gratitude, it motivates the drivers to continue to do beyond what is expected. - CNA /ls

Copyright © 2005 MCN International Pte Ltd
Old December 11th, 2005, 05:02 AM   #1253
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Picture taken by ^tamago^

Volvo B7RLE Bus at Sentosa. This bus was supposed to be serving internal lines, but somehow it made a lone trip out to HarbourFront Int before dashing back.
Old December 13th, 2005, 07:18 AM   #1254
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

12 December 2005

SMART Auto launches Singapore's first fleet of CNG-powered taxis
By Yvonne Cheong, Channel NewsAsia

SMART Automobile has launched Singapore's first fleet of CNG-powered taxis.

It'll also set up at least two compressed natural gas (CNG) refuelling stations by the end of next year.

The Mercedes Benz E200 CNG-powered limousine taxis are bi-fuel and are environment-friendly as they emit pure water when running on natural gas.

The vehicles automatically switch to running on petrol when it runs out of gas.

But each of these taxis costs $115,000, a few thousand dollars more than its regular counterpart.

Thirty CNG taxis hit the road after the launch on Monday, the rest will do by year end.

The flag-down rate for a CNG taxi is $3, which is 60 cents more than the usual $2.40.

Steven Heng, a CNG taxi driver, said: "We haven't had any complaints so far. In fact, customers say it's quiet, stable and comfortable."

The cabbies stand to save some $10,000 each year, as the fuel for gas-powered taxis costs at least 30 per cent less.

But it has a drawback.

It needs refuelling twice a day, and the only natural gas station is on Jurong Island.

So SMART plans to set up two or three refuelling stations - in east, north and central Singapore - using the National Environment Agency's (NEA) innovation grant.

Each refuelling station could cost $2 million.

SMART Automobile's managing director, Johnny Harjanto, said: "To set up the station, NEA has granted us a total of $2 million for the entire project, the criterion is to have to set up two refuelling stations by the end of the year, next year."

Environment and Water Resources Minister Yaacob Ibrahim, who was at the launch of the CNG-powered taxis, said: "This move will be something that the government welcomes because it will help to set in place a viable system and I hope other fleets will consider doing a similar changeover towards CNG vehicles or even diesel vehicles which have the Euro 4 standards that we have set for ourselves." - CNA/ir

Copyright © 2005 MCN International Pte Ltd
Old December 13th, 2005, 07:22 AM   #1255
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2615

Alot of Singapore's buses are very similar to Hong Kong! Though HK doesn't have Mercedes for a taxi!

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2005, 07:29 AM   #1256
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH
Alot of Singapore's buses are very similar to Hong Kong! Though HK doesn't have Mercedes for a taxi!
I see....

London cab

[IMG]http://************/e7f0o6.jpg[/IMG]

(Picture by Rafflecity)
Old December 13th, 2005, 06:01 PM   #1257
hkth

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH
A lot of Singapore's buses are very similar to Hong Kong!
In fact, HK and Singapore are the largest overseas market for British buses!
hkth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2005, 04:20 AM   #1258
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Dec 16, 2005
No need to greet, just lend passengers a hand

IT IS heartening to learn about taxi operators trying to improve customer service.

As a frequent passenger travelling with a toddler, a baby and a pram, may I suggest an amendment to SMRT Taxis' five golden rules for its drivers.

It should consider replacing 'Greet passengers when they board the taxi' with 'Get out immediately and help passengers with their bags or prams'.

While there are kind taxi drivers who would hop out of their seats immediately to help me, more often than not the drivers would remain in their seats or, at most, make a show of unbuckling their seat belts and opening their doors. By then, I would have got every- one out and retrieved the pram from the boot. The drivers would then happily close their doors and get on with their journey.

Greeting me will not make my journey more pleasant. Helping me would.

Serene Goh (Mrs)

Copyright © 2005 Singapore Press Holdings. All rights reserved.
Old December 16th, 2005, 06:13 AM   #1259
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Dec 16, 2005
Asking commuters to tip cabbies a bad idea

I WAS amused to read the report, 'The five golden rules for SMRT taxi drivers' (ST, Dec 9).

I just cannot understand the rationale behind SMRT's suggestion that commuters tip its drivers who follow the five rules.

Is it not the responsibility of taxi drivers to ensure the safety of commuters and charge them correctly, among other basic things?

While I do not mind tipping or letting a cabby keep the change, the public announcement encouraging passengers to do so may not go down well with others. In fact, this could open up a Pandora's box of expectations from similar cases. A delivery worker may want to be rewarded for taking merchandise to a customer promptly and with great care and tact. Ditto the salesman who goes the extra mile in providing service.

If tipping cabbies becomes the norm, it may lead to discriminatory picking of passengers. Most drivers would then prefer Caucasians and well-dressed passengers to school children and shabby-looking commuters.

With regard to the refund system, I do not think that most commuters will take the trouble to complain about poor service to get their fare back. Neither will they feel good to redeem the voucher on the next trip in an SMRT cab.

While most taxi commuters would usually tip the drivers, they prefer the unwritten rule on this practice rather than be encouraged to do so.

Jeffrey Law Lee Beng

Old December 21st, 2005, 05:24 AM   #1260
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Dec 21, 2005
Why that $1 refund for single-trip MRT ticket

I REFER to the letters, '$1 deposit on train tickets goes unclaimed' (ST, Dec 10) and 'What is point of deposit on single-trip MRT ticket?' (ST Online, Dec 14).

The $1 refundable deposit on a standard ticket is to encourage commuters to return the card and avoid wastage.

Transport operators do not profit from the non-return of standard tickets as the cost of the card exceeds the $1 deposit. If commuters do not return the standard ticket, this will result in higher operating costs for the operators in replenishing the ticket stock. The increase in cost would be passed on to commuters and it is not equitable to the majority.

Hence, the operators remind commuters to obtain a refund of the $1 deposit for standard tickets through various means, including at the general ticketing machine (GTM), information printed on the ticket itself, announcements in trains and messages displayed at fare gates in MRT stations.

At the GTMs, commuters can select from the screen any of four languages - English, Chinese, Malay and Tamil - when purchasing a standard ticket. Stickers are also put up informing commuters that the $1 deposit for standard tickets is refundable at any GTM within 30 days from the date of purchase.

On the standard ticket itself, it is printed clearly: 'After use, please return to any GTM for refund of card deposit.' There are also announcements in the trains to remind users to claim the refund.

At the exit fare gates where commuters scan the tickets to leave the station, a message is displayed to remind them to return the tickets for refund of the deposit.

For more information, commuters may contact us on our toll-free TransitLink Hotline on 1800-CALL ONE (1800-2255-663) or log on to the TransitLink website www.transitlink.com.sg

Kathryn Lau (Ms)
Assistant Corporate Communications Manager
Transit Link Pte Ltd

Tags
metro, mrt, singapore