daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 11th, 2006, 03:56 PM   #1321
ignoramus

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth88
If I'm not wrong, SBS Transit's night maintenance works on MRT will be featured in a section of a variety show. Anyone has a DVD recorder or a computer with TV card to record the programme down in computer format??? :

TV Channel: MediaCorp Channel U
TV Prog.: Du Sh D Fa Xin (On the Beat)

First Telecast
Date: 11 April 2006, Tuesday
Time: 8:00 - 9:00 pm

Repeat Telecasts
Date: 12 April 2006, Wednesday
Times: 00:00 mn - 01:00 am, 4:00 pm - 5:00 pm
I have a DVD recorder, and have recorded the programme. But its a TV DVD recorder. I dont have a DVD drive so I cant transfer it over. Sorry!
ignoramus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 11th, 2006, 07:33 PM   #1322
kenneth88

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignoramus
I have a DVD recorder, and have recorded the programme. But its a TV DVD recorder. I dont have a DVD drive so I cant transfer it over. Sorry!
Oh, it's ok. I recorded it on VHS; video quality won't be as good, though. Upload yours onto the net if you've a DVD drive in the future hor.

The NEL maintenance works they featured is really good. Got to know about so many things.
kenneth88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 05:23 AM   #1323
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Likes (Received): 2

April 14, 2006
New PIE link to be added by 2008

By Christopher Tan
SENIOR CORRESPONDENT

RESIDENTS of Bedok North Avenue 3 and Bedok Reservoir Road will have direct access to the Pan-Island Expressway (PIE) by the second quarter of 2008.

New links to the PIE will be built from these two roads and will reduce the distance and travelling time for those living and working in the vicinity, who now have to drive 2km or more to access the expressway.

However, the new interchange may add more traffic to the PIE, which the Land Transport Authority (LTA) has cited as one of the most heavily used expressways.

Explaining the decision on the new link, an LTA spokesman said: 'The interchange was part of the initial plans for the PIE. Provisions were made to build it at a later date to meet increases in traffic demand.'

She said current access to the PIE in the area - at Bedok North Flyover - was congested during peak hours.

The new interchange will be the 31st connection on the 41km expressway.

The LTA has awarded a $20.5 million contract to construct the links.

The contractors will build four sliproads to connect Bedok North Avenue 3 to the expressway, and add another lane in each direction to Bedok North Avenue 3 itself.

These new roads will rise to meet the PIE, which is elevated in this area.

The builders will also erect two pedestrian bridges, a vehicle bridge across a nearby canal and extend an existing overhead bridge across the PIE.

In response to heightened environmental awareness, the LTA said it will maintain the greenery in the vicinity of the construction. It will plant new trees before work starts to replace those that need to be felled for the project.

Copyright 2005 Singapore Press Holdings. All rights reserved.
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 02:01 PM   #1324
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

The Monorail Society's website now features a pictorial on construction of the new Sentosa Monorail:

Guideway and Stations:
http://www.monorails.org/tMspages/CnstSentosa01a.html

Monorail Trains:
http://www.monorails.org/tMspages/CnstSentosa01b.html
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2006, 02:17 PM   #1325
heirloom

oh dear.... the trains look pretty ugly!
heirloom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2006, 04:34 AM   #1326
greg_christine

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloom
oh dear.... the trains look pretty ugly!
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I do think the simple livery shown on the early promotional materials for the system was much more attractive:

Old April 16th, 2006, 03:18 AM   #1327
heirloom

it just seems a little like cargo transport because of the very tiny windows. aren't touristy vehicles supposed to ahve huge windows?
heirloom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2006, 02:55 PM   #1328
greg_christine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentosa_Express

Sentosa Express
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Sentosa Express is a monorail system under construction in Singapore.

The first in the world to use Hitachi's "Small" straddle-type monorail, Sentosa Express will have 2.1 kilometres of double track connecting HarbourFront Station on the mainland to three stations (as yet unnamed) on the resort island of Sentosa. Construction started in 2003 and completion is targeted for June 2006. However, the monorail will not open to the public until the Vivocity mall (which contains the monorail's Harbourfront Station) opens in October.

While LRT-like in nature, it has not been constructed by the Land Transport Authority and is thus not considered a part of Singapore's MRT/LRT network.

Sentosa Express at the Beach Station during a trial run
Old June 10th, 2006, 03:07 PM   #1329
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

^ Wow.....I was there last week but did not manage to see the train.....
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2006, 08:47 PM   #1330
kenneth88

Likes (Received): 0

Small Windows, Few Doorways, Few Stations

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloom
it just seems a little like cargo transport because of the very tiny windows. aren't touristy vehicles supposed to ahve huge windows?
Yea... Windows are too small and few. Number of doorways too. Only 1 doorway per carriage per side. Therell be problems boarding and alighting. And this will be made worse by most passengers who dont move to the inner of the carriages after boarding. So few stations to take you to the attractions too.

Last edited by kenneth88; June 21st, 2006 at 11:03 AM.
kenneth88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2006, 04:16 PM   #1331
mrtfreak

Likes (Received): 201

NEL breaks down

NEL train services from Dhoby Ghaut to HarbourFront halted
By Joanne Leow, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 24 July 2006 1612 hrs

HarbourFront, Outram Park, Chinatown and Clarke Quay MRT stations have been closed due to an electrical problem which caused a train to stall just after Outram Park station.

At around 12.45pm, a southbound North-East Line train stalled in the tunnel due to loss of traction power.

Repeated attempts to bring the power back failed and about half-an-hour after the incident, about 100 passengers were evacuated from the train.

Initial investigations showed a wire which supplied traction power to the trains had come loose.

SBS Transit says its engineers are working to bring the system up again, but this is likely to take several hours.

Normal train operations are still running between Dhoby Ghaut and Punggol stations, while alternative free bus services from the affected stations have been activated.

Those affected can seek a refund of their fare at any NEL Passenger Service Counter.

The public may call the SBS Transit Customer Relations Centre at 1800-287-2727 or 6383-7214 for further information.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

A classmate of mine didn't hear the announcement when she was at Dhoby Ghaut. She was travelling from Little India and the train turned back at DBG. Lol.

DTL Construction
TSL Construction
ERL Construction
CCL6 Construction
JRL Construction

Search Google Translate for "Death" in Czech. :lol:
mrtfreak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 08:49 AM   #1332
allurban
All Urban

Likes (Received): 6

My apologies if this question was asked before but here it is anyways.

Singapore nicely numbers its train lines and train stops according to a code.

On the NEL map there are some missing numbers. I always presumed that some of these referred to future stations.

This was confirmed in June 2005 when I was visiting Singapore. I took the line from Dhoby Ghaut up to Sengkang and saw the two unopened stations (I also have seen these two stations marked on the future rail maps jpgs that I have stored on my computer).

However, here is my question. On the way down to harbourfront (NE1) I didnt see any unopened station in the tunnel between Outram Park (NE3) and Harbourfront.

So where is NE2?

Cheers, m
allurban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 02:43 PM   #1333
mrtfreak

Likes (Received): 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by allurban
My apologies if this question was asked before but here it is anyways.

Singapore nicely numbers its train lines and train stops according to a code.

On the NEL map there are some missing numbers. I always presumed that some of these referred to future stations.

This was confirmed in June 2005 when I was visiting Singapore. I took the line from Dhoby Ghaut up to Sengkang and saw the two unopened stations (I also have seen these two stations marked on the future rail maps jpgs that I have stored on my computer).

However, here is my question. On the way down to harbourfront (NE1) I didnt see any unopened station in the tunnel between Outram Park (NE3) and Harbourfront.

So where is NE2?

Cheers, m
NE16 Buangkok station has been since opened. NE11 Woodleigh remains closed for the time being (like Sri Rampai on KL's Putra LRT).

NE 2 (as well as NS6 and NS12) are codes reserved for future stations to be constructed. On maps created by commuters themselves or rail fans, these stations are refered to as Kampong Bahru (NE 2), Sungei Kadut (NS 6) and Canberra/Simpang (NS 12). Provisions have been made for the construction of NE 2 in future according to the media.

CC 17, CC 18 and CC 25 on the upcoming Circle Line will also be shell stations that remain unopened to the public when passenger service commences.

DTL Construction
TSL Construction
ERL Construction
CCL6 Construction
JRL Construction

Search Google Translate for "Death" in Czech. :lol:
mrtfreak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2006, 09:40 AM   #1334
allurban
All Urban

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtfreak
NE16 Buangkok station has been since opened. NE11 Woodleigh remains closed for the time being (like Sri Rampai on KL's Putra LRT).

NE 2 (as well as NS6 and NS12) are codes reserved for future stations to be constructed. On maps created by commuters themselves or rail fans, these stations are refered to as Kampong Bahru (NE 2), Sungei Kadut (NS 6) and Canberra/Simpang (NS 12). Provisions have been made for the construction of NE 2 in future according to the media.

CC 17, CC 18 and CC 25 on the upcoming Circle Line will also be shell stations that remain unopened to the public when passenger service commences.
Great, thanks very much for the info.

Cheers, m
allurban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2007, 10:14 AM   #1335
ignoramus

SINGAPORE | Trains | Buses | Taxis

Trains

Mass Rapid Transit (MRT)

North South Line
- 25 Stations
- 44km
- 6 Car Trains

East West Line
- 29 Stations (Another 2 Stations Due 2009)
- 45.4km (Another 3.8km Due 2009)
- 6 Car Trains

North East Line
- 16 Stations
- 20km
- 6 Car Trains
- Fully Automatic & Driverless

Circle Line (2010 - 2011)
- 29 Stations
- 33.3km
- 3 Car Trains

Downtown Line (2013 - 2018)

Government Approves Building Of The Downtown Line

1. The Government has given approval for LTA to build the Downtown Line (DTL) at a cost of S$12 billion. The 40km line will be mostly underground and will be built in 3 stages. The DTL is targeted to be completed by 2018.

2. With the DTL, the connectivity of the existing Rapid Transit System (RTS) network will be strengthened. The DTL will facilitate direct travel from the northwestern and eastern areas of the island to the Central Business District (CBD) and the Marina Bay. It also provides a strategic transport link to support the development of the Marina Bay area.

3. The Government's target is to raise the public transport share of all morning peak-hour trips from the current 63% to at least 70% by 2020. To achieve this target, the RTS network as the backbone for our public transport system will have to be expanded, with more rail lines extended to new areas, thereby enhancing accessibility and reducing travel times.

DTL Stage 1

4. DTL Stage 1 comprises the Downtown Extension (DTE) which was previously planned as an extension to the Circle Line (CCL). This 4.3 km section will run from Bugis Station on the East-West Line (EWL) to Chinatown Station on the Northeast Line (NEL). It will have 6 stations in all: Bugis, Promenade, Bayfront, Landmark, Cross Street and Chinatown.

5. Targeted to be completed in 2013, it will be operated independently from the CCL, serving upcoming developments in the Marina Bay area, such as the Marina Bay Sands Integrated Resort and the new Marina Bay Financial Centre.

DTL Stage 2

6. DTL Stage 2 comprises the previously announced Bukit Timah Line (BTL). It will run from Bugis Station on the EWL, along the Bukit Timah Road corridor to link up with the Bukit Panjang LRT. This 16.6 km long stretch of the DTL is targeted to be completed in 2015.

7. With DTL Stage 2, commuters can enjoy a more direct link to the city centre. For example, a trip from Bukit Panjang to the city centre that now takes 60 minutes will be shortened by one-third. Residents who currently take the train from Bukit Batok and Choa Chu Kang into the city, can also shave up to 15 minutes from their hour-long journey.

DTL Stage 3

8. DTL Stage 3 comprises the northern half of the previously announced Eastern Region Line (ERL). This 19.1 km phase will run from Chinatown Station on the NEL to Expo Station on the EWL.

9. This final phase of the DTL is targeted to be completed in 2018. With DTL Stage 3, commuters who currently take about 40 to 50 minutes travelling into the city by train from Bedok Reservoir and Tampines will save up to 10 minutes.

10. The LTA is currently undertaking studies to determine the exact alignment and station locations of DTL Stages 2 and 3.

Extending the Circle Line to Marina Bay

11. To enhance the accessibility of the Marina Bay area to the rest of the island, the CCL will be extended to Bayfront Station from Promenade Station. This will be completed in 2012.

Interchange Stations

12. DTL will have an interchange station with the Bukit Panjang LRT system as well as 10 other interchange stations with the existing rail network and the CCL which is under construction:

North South Line
Newton

East West Line
Bugis
Tampines
Expo

North East Line
Little India
Chinatown

Circle Line
Bayfront
Promenade
MacPherson
Botanic Gardens

13. In the coming months, contracts will be awarded for the various stages of the DTL project. The first two civil contracts, for the Cross Street and Chinatown stations will be awarded in the second half of 2007.

Kawasaki Heavy Industries C151 Train

Siemens C651 Train

Kawasaki Heavy Industries & Nippon Sharyo C751B Train

Alstom Metropolis Train

Last edited by ignoramus; April 28th, 2007 at 11:08 AM.
Old April 28th, 2007, 10:41 AM   #1336
ignoramus

Trains

Light Rapid Transit (LRT)

Bukit Panjang LRT
- 14 Stations
- 7.8km
- 1 Or 2 Car Trains

Sengkang LRT
- 14 Stations
- 10.7km
- 1 Car Trains

Punggol LRT
- 15 Stations
- 10.3km
- 1 Car Trains
- Fully Aytomatic & Driverless

Bombardier CX-100 Train

Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Crystal Mover Train

Last edited by ignoramus; April 28th, 2007 at 11:07 AM.
Old April 28th, 2007, 11:09 AM   #1337
ignoramus

Trains

Changi Airport Skytrain

- 7 Stations (2 Each In Terminal 1 & Terminal 2, 3 In Terminal 3)

Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Crystal Mover Train

Sentosa Express

- 4 Stations

Hitachi Monorail Train
Old April 28th, 2007, 11:10 AM   #1338
ignoramus

Buses

Volvo B9TL Bus
Old April 28th, 2007, 11:22 AM   #1339
ignoramus

Accessibility For The Physically Disabled

Trains

Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) & Light Rapid Transit (LRT)

- All 64 currently operating stations with the exception of 1 station are accessible to the physically disabled through elevators, ramps, wider fare gates, tactile guidance systems etc.

- The remaining operating station not yet accessible to the physically disabled will be barrier free as and when the Circle Line opens for service.

Buses

- 200 wheelchair accessible buses are currently being progressively introduced into the bus network.
- 66.6% of all buses will be wheelchair accessible by 2013.
- All buses will be wheelchair accessible by 2023.
Old April 28th, 2007, 10:20 PM   #1340
Andrew

Likes (Received): 36

Great round up of Singapore's public transport there. My favourite vehicles are the new 'Crystal Movers', the Sentosa Express monorail trains and the driverless ones on the NE line. I'm quite impressed with the rate at which Singapore is introducing wheelchair access to it's transport systems, I suppose it's easier with the MRT being a relatively modern system anyway but still, good work. With the bus service, are they also re-modeling bus stops to make them more wheelchair accessible as well? A lot of them have steps.
Andrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
metro, mrt, singapore