daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 21st, 2011, 02:24 PM   #1561
Mith252
Proud to be Malay-Chinese

Likes (Received): 3329

Here is another post by me in the Singapore forum.

Sponsored Links
Old March 22nd, 2011, 02:23 PM   #1562
Mith252

Here is some pics I posted in the Singapore forum.

Old April 14th, 2011, 12:28 PM   #1563
2 Morrow

Likes (Received): 0

IMO, Singapore has the best public transportation in the world...
2 Morrow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2011, 03:15 PM   #1564
Mith252

Well, it is still behind Tokyo in my opinion. It would take time but hopefully, we can reach that level.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 03:27 PM   #1565
mcarling

Likes (Received): 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Morrow View Post
Singapore may have the best (or at least among the best) run public transportation system in the world, but the coverage of the MRT system is woefully inadequate. The government are building the MRT network at a reasonable pace, but daily bus trips currently outnumber train trips by about 60% to 40%. I won't be ready to opine that Singapore has the best public transportation system in the world until daily train trips outnumber bus trips by at least 70% to 30%. Current MRT expansion plans, including the Downtown, Thomson, and Eastern Regional lines, should raise the proportion of train trips to between 50 and 60%.
mcarling no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 12:03 AM   #1566
Ashis Mitra

Likes (Received): 1142

Today many people don’t know that Singapore City once had a 25 Km tram network, which was opened in 1886 as steam tram, and later converted to electric tram in 1905. It had meter gauge.

The electric tramways opened to the public on 24 July 1905 to little fanfare. There was little public interest as they seemed to be contented with the already established modes of transport then available. Run-ins with bullock carts and rickshaw drivers as well as vandals troubled the electric tram operations. But the growth of the island's commerce provided the impetus for increased hauls, which included passengers though people traffic on the trams increased slowly. The competition from rickshaws was still stiff. The reduction in tram fares increased rider ship to 32 000 in 1909, and at the end of that year, the company was in the black with an ultra-modest profit of £134.

The tram operators faced the strain of having to replace the tracks and maintain the generators. By 1913, the whole of the tracks required replacement and the generators were worked to full capacity. WWI restricted the overhauling efforts, and by 1921, the company was making losses £50 000 annually. Professional advice was sought from the successful Shanghai Electric Construction Company and a complete rehabilitation was undertaken in a final ditch effort to keep the system alive. The trams were rebuilt and the fare scales were revised. Fares for short-distance travelers(less than one and a half miles) were reduced and the result was dramatic. There was a 235% increase in rider ship and revenues increased by 95%. 1923 ended with a £23 000 profits even after meeting the costs of the rehabilitation program. However just as the system became viable, the commissioners suddenly refused to extend tramway concessions on the grounds of incompatibility of interest of parties over the state of the roads over which the trams run. Indeed the commissioners found it an embarrassment that the reconstructed tracks ran on fine, metalled surface but the outside lanes were battered.
Singapore Electric Tramways Limited wound up and in 1926, it became the Singapore Traction Company, Limited, paving the way for trolley buses. Tram to trolley bus conversion took place in stages, with the last changeover happening at the end of 1927.

This is the tram map in 1926, just 1 year before closure. Compare it with present metro map.

Look some commonness with metro. Tanjong Pagar is now served by metro line 2 (EastWest), Keppel harbor was probably in the place of Harbor front, which is served by line 3 (NorthEast), Raffles Hotel is in Raffles Place, which is served by line 2 & 1 (NorthSouth), Tank Road is probably near Dhobighat, which is served by line 1, 3 & 4 (Circle), Paya Lebar is now served by metro line 2 & 4.

So it is clear that the former tram network is mostly replaced by today’s metro.

There is a photo of now closed tram. Look how green and empty was the roadside, and there were no motorcars!!! Very beautiful picture, how eco-friendly.
Ashis Mitra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 01:42 AM   #1567
Mith252

Thanks for the info and the pics. Really appreciate your contribution.
Old May 24th, 2011, 07:32 PM   #1568
Ashis Mitra

You're welcome Mith252 for support tram.

There are 2 confusions create.

Many people think that the Singapore LRT means Light Rail Transit, but it is not true, it means here Light Rapid Transit (commonly known in world as light metro). Because this is a small edition of metro – by completely separate elevated track, 3rd rail, big stations, high frequency & high speed.

Another confusion is the Circle line. By looking the map, it is clear that it is not circular, but it is semi-circular. It is not completing ring, so endless looping of metro is not possible. I suggest it should be renamed to City Centre line by appropriate understanding.
Old May 24th, 2011, 07:46 PM   #1569
mcarling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashis Mitra View Post
Another confusion is the Circle line. By looking the map, it is clear that it is not circular, but it is semi-circular. It is not completing ring, so endless looping of metro is not possible. I suggest it should be renamed to City Centre line by appropriate understanding.
There are long term plans to complete the circle. Circle Line Stage 6 will probably be built about the time that the lease expires (2027) on the Tanjong Pagar Container Terminal, which will then become part of the Central Business District.
Old May 27th, 2011, 12:42 AM   #1570
Ashis Mitra

It will be best to operate all 4 metro lines under 1 authority. I heard that line 1, 2 & 4 is operating by SMRT, but line 3 is by SBS, which applies some different rules, incompatibility of exchange etc. with other 3 lines, which will confuse mainly outsiders/newcomers of Singapore City. So I suggest to hand-over line 3 (NorthEast) to SMRT for smoothest operation.

I’ve some questions (arose after viewing some websites). Please answer one by one –
1) Will line 1 (NE) be extended from Marina Bay to Marina Pier?
2) Will line 4 (CC) be extended from Marymount to Marina Bay?
3) Will a new line 5 (DT) will be constructed from Bugis to Expo?
4) Will a new line 6 (TS) will be constructed from Marina Bay to Woodlands?
5) Will a new line 7 (ER) will be constructed from Marina Bay to Changi?
Old May 27th, 2011, 05:35 AM   #1571
ddes

Likes (Received): 929

In Singapore, we don't classify lines by numbers. The Land Transport Authority consulted the public, and found that it was better to classify lines by names. Incidentally, the first 4 lines are compass lines but that is not the standard as the 5th line announced was called Downtown Line.

To answer your questions:

1) Yes, the North South Line will be extended from Marina Bay to Marina Pier. Construction has already started and will begn operations by 2015.

2) The Circle Line will be extended from Marymount to HarbourFront via Buona Vista and is expected to open this October. Also, construction is well underway for the Circle Line to be extended to Marina Bay. However, as of now, there are no concrete plans to "close the circle" until at least the 2030s because the land between Marina Bay and HarbourFront is taken up by our ports.

3) Yes. The Downtown Line is a medium-capacity line which will connect Bukit Panjang in the northwest and Expo in the east via Bugis. Because of the complexities of construction, the line has been broken down into 3 phases: Downtown Line (phase) 1 or DTL1 between Bugis and Chinatown via Promenade and Bayfront (Marina Bay Sands), Downtown Line (phase) 2 or DTL2 between Bugis and Bukit Panjang LRT station, and finally Downtown Line (phase) 3 between Chinatown and Expo via Tampines. DTL1 will open by 2013, DTL by 2015 and DTL by 2017.

4) Yes. This line is still in the planning stages and has been announced that it'd be built next. The Thomson Line is also a medium-capacity line which will connect Woodlands and the Marina Bay area, alleviating the overcapacity being seen in the North South Line between Marina Bay and Yishun. In the Singapore SSC forums, we're speculating that the Thomson Line will handle the infrastructure, or at least, provide connections to the rapid transit link between the Woodlands area and Johor Bahru, Malaysia.

5) Yes. As the Thomson Line and Eastern Region Line, confirmed routes and stations are unclear but it'll be completed by 2020. Right now, the local forums are debating whether the Thomson Line and Eastern Region Line will be announced as a single line. Those for it argue that together with the JB connection, it'll provide Malaysians a direct connection to Changi Airport and vice versa. Those against it argue that there is a lot of potential for the ERL to serve the south and west regions.
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2011, 06:18 AM   #1572
Luli Pop
BANNED

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Morrow View Post
most modern doesn't mean the best.

it's not even on top 5 yet, maybe in the future...
Luli Pop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2011, 09:50 AM   #1573
mcarling

Quote:
It will be best to operate all 4 metro lines under 1 authority. I heard that line 1, 2 & 4 is operating by SMRT, but line 3 is by SBS, which applies some different rules, incompatibility of exchange etc. with other 3 lines, which will confuse mainly outsiders/newcomers of Singapore City. So I suggest to hand-over line 3 (NorthEast) to SMRT for smoothest operation.
First, there is no "incompatibility of exchange" between SBS and SMRT operated lines. More important, eliminating competition nearly always results in higher prices and worse service/quality. Singapore needs a third operator and shorter duration concession contracts.
Old June 1st, 2011, 04:24 PM   #1574
Ashis Mitra

Please try to answer these -
1) What is the target year of extending line 1 & 4?
2) What is the target year of opening line 5, 6 & 7?
3) Left side, right side or both side, - which type of platforms are in most numbers in Singapore City subway network?
4) Elevated, ground level or underground, - which type of stations are in most numbers in Singapore City subway network?
5) Which are the highest and deepest stations of Singapore City metro?
6) Which is the busiest metro station?
7) Which stations have interchange facility with suburban rail network?
8) Where is/are the depot(s) of the subway network?
Old June 2nd, 2011, 12:35 AM   #1575
mcarling

Quote:
Please try to answer these -
1) What is the target year of extending line 1 & 4?
2) What is the target year of opening line 5, 6 & 7?
3) Left side, right side or both side, - which type of platforms are in most numbers in Singapore City subway network?
4) Elevated, ground level or underground, - which type of stations are in most numbers in Singapore City subway network?
5) Which are the highest and deepest stations of Singapore City metro?
6) Which is the busiest metro station?
7) Which stations have interchange facility with suburban rail network?
8) Where is/are the depot(s) of the subway network?
1) The NSL extension to Marina Pier is scheduled to open in 2014. Stages 4 and 5 of the CCL will open this year.
2) The DTL will open in three stages: 2013, 2015, and 2017. The TSL is scheduled to open in 2018. The ERL is scheduled to open in 2020.
3) There is a mix of island platforms and side platforms, even some stacked platforms.
4) The NSL and EWL started mostly elevated except in the CBD. All newer lines are fully underground. The extensions to the EWL are also elevated.
5) I think Bras Basah might be the deepest, but I'm not sure. I have no idea which would be the highest.
6) I would guess that Raffles Place is probably the busiest station, but I don't recall seeing any statistics on this.
7) MRT is Singapore's suburban rail. The only other rail in Singapore is the KTM international service to Malaysia and some light people mover type lines.
8) Singapore has a few depots: Bishan, Changi, Ulu Pandan, Sengkang, and Kim Chuan.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 02:40 AM   #1576
sandstorm6299

Likes (Received): 50

3) Actually, island platforms are the most common. There are very few stations with side platform.

5) Bras Basah is deepest and Buona Vista is highest
sandstorm6299 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2011, 11:11 PM   #1577
Ashis Mitra

Thanks to all for replying me.

After Brasilia, I've only saw such a city with has metro network, but no suburban rail.

I think the whole country is the city in Singapore, so it is not strange, right?
Old June 12th, 2011, 10:48 PM   #1578
Ashis Mitra

I read here that there will be 3 new lines in future, which company will operate this? SMRT or SBS? I suggest SMRT, because they are much experienced. However, please give an idea.
Old June 13th, 2011, 02:55 PM   #1579
Mith252

They usually won't decide until the line is almost ready. The various operators would have to tender for them. LTA would be in charge of the construction.
Old June 13th, 2011, 07:00 PM   #1580
ddes

Likes (Received): 929

Quote:
I read here that there will be 3 new lines in future, which company will operate this? SMRT or SBS? I suggest SMRT, because they are much experienced. However, please give an idea.
You're not a very polite person, demanding answers from people all the time without doing your own proper research. Even Wikipedia would give you many answers.
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
metro, mrt, singapore