daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 6th, 2013, 07:26 PM   #1641
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Likes (Received): 1641

CC6 STADIUM
image hosted on flickr

Stadium Station by xcode, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Stadium Station Interior by xcode, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

CC6 Stadium by xcode, on Flickr

african liked this post
Vrooms no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 9th, 2013, 06:08 PM   #1642
Vrooms
threeyearson.

CC19 BOTANIC GARDENS
image hosted on flickr

CC19 Botanic Gardens by xcode, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Water! by xcode, on Flickr
Old April 24th, 2013, 07:50 PM   #1643
lkstrknb
Chicago Luke

Likes (Received): 804

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwaP9KO_kPg

I was in Singapore for a few days in October 2012 and took some video of the Sentosa Express Monorail system in Singapore. Here is a video I made of my visit. Enjoy.

Arnorian liked this post
lkstrknb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2013, 05:25 AM   #1644
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 233

Damn, it's more than a decade since I last set foot in Singapore. I remember that during my last visit, the Sentosa train thingy.........was the old one (the one that is open air.

Fast forward to today and some of the old train stations are now used as new attractions as well as bars and restaurants.

Boy things have change rapidly over there. I'm left behind hahahaha

lkstrknb liked this post
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2013, 05:50 PM   #1645
lkstrknb
Chicago Luke

Likes (Received): 804

I'm sad I missed the old monorail. It may not be as fast as the current Sentosa Express, but I'm sure it had a lot of charm. You probably saw much more of the island from the old circular route.
lkstrknb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2013, 12:56 PM   #1646
stephenk1977

Likes (Received): 0

Interesting thread, lots of great photos and info!

I have a quick question. On Singapore's driverless lines (Circle and NE Line) when trains are taken out of service (such as going back into the depot), are the trains checked by staff to be empty first?
stephenk1977 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2013, 04:46 PM   #1647
AsHalt

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenk1977 View Post
I have a quick question. On Singapore's driverless lines (Circle and NE Line) when trains are taken out of service (such as going back into the depot), are the trains checked by staff to be empty first?
It's always checked whether is the newer lines (CC ,NE ,DT) or the older lines (NS ,EW) as the operators do not want to risk a trespassing case unintentionally.
AsHalt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2013, 09:21 AM   #1648
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26113

Video about new Marina Coastal Expressway:

geometarkv liked this post
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2013, 12:43 PM   #1649
AsHalt

Likes (Received): 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlys1994 View Post
Video about new Marina Coastal Expressway:

it's broke...
AsHalt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2013, 01:03 PM   #1650
dimlys1994

Today:

Quote:
http://sg.news.yahoo.com/first-six-m...031104308.html

First six MRT stations of Downtown Line open; free rides until Jan 1

By Jeanette Tan
Yahoo Newsroom – 7 hours ago

Commuters will be able to ride the first six stations of Singapore's newest rail network — the Downtown Line — for free until 1 January, after it started operations on Sunday.

Operated by SBS Transit, these consist of Bugis, Promenade, Bayfront, Downtown, Telok Ayer and Chinatown, adding up to some 4.3km of rail that is aimed at easing congestion at interchange stations like Dhoby Ghaut and Raffles Place.

In order to enjoy a free ride, commuters will have to tap in and out of a Downtown Line station.

Officiating its opening on Saturday, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong asked for patience and support from the public as the government continues working to improve the country's MRT service.

Highlighting a new feature of brightly-coloured "Reserved" seats, PM Lee said this should urge commuters to give their seats up to passengers who may need them more as well.

"Once in a while, you find a young man pretending to be asleep when a pregnant lady is standing by or an old gentleman," he was quoted as saying in The Straits Times. "So, just to remind them before they fall asleep not to use that chair, the trains on the Downtown Line have now got special chairs. There is no reason you won't notice when you sit down there."

Located about 26m below ground level, the Downtown Line Bugis station is linked to the existing East-West Line Bugis station and is also connected by subway links between North Bridge Road and Victoria Street.

Promenade station connects to the Circle Line while Bayfront station has two platform levels — one goes to Marina Bay and Downtown stations, and the other goes to Promenade station.

Meanwhile, Downtown station lies underneath Central Boulevard, adjacent to Marina Bay Financial Centre and links commuters to Marina Bay Link Mall, the MBFC towers, the Marina Bay Suites and The Lawn @ Marina Bay.

Telok Ayer Station is located near the PriceWaterhouse Coopers building, Cecil Street, Cross Street and Amoy Street. It stands between Downtown and Chinatown station, the latter of which links the Downtown Line up with the North East Line.

According to the LTA, the Downtown Line will operate with six trains, with each trip between all six stations taking between nine and 10 minutes, at frequencies of four minutes during peak hours, and five during off-peak hours. It promises to run at shorter frequencies when the line is fully operational, with more trains added to its network.

Subsequent parts of the Downtown Line are scheduled to open by 2016 and 2017.
Old December 23rd, 2013, 01:17 AM   #1651
BE0GRAD
∰f(W)dw≣∭f(r,φ,θ) drdφdθ

Likes (Received): 1174

What is the social structure of people using public transport in Singapore? Is it common for richer people to with on bus or metro?
BE0GRAD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2013, 05:35 PM   #1652
ddes

Likes (Received): 928

Quote:
Originally Posted by BE0GRAD View Post
What is the social structure of people using public transport in Singapore? Is it common for richer people to with on bus or metro?
There's no real social stigma attached to public transport in Singapore, so everyone from the minority lower classes to the rich do ride both the buses and metro.
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2013, 08:13 PM   #1653
dimlys1994

Updated map on urbanrail.net:

geometarkv liked this post
Old December 27th, 2013, 01:20 PM   #1654
dimlys1994

Video about opening:

Old February 6th, 2014, 11:52 PM   #1655
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 847

About the rolling stock of the Singapore MRT: I heard that a single car can be occupied by a maximum of 350 passengers. Trains on the North-South Line, the East-West Line and the North East Line have six cars; Trains on the Circle Line and the Downtown Line has three cars; and trains on the planned Thomson Line have four cars.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2014, 11:57 PM   #1656
Ribarca

Likes (Received): 3336

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddes View Post
There's no real social stigma attached to public transport in Singapore, so everyone from the minority lower classes to the rich do ride both the buses and metro.
I wouldn't say so. Just look at that arrogant idiot expat who was in the news because he bashed the people taking the public transport. He only took it because his Porsche was being repaired. He had to leave the country.

The ultra-rich don't take public transport.

Took the downtown line again today. It's awesome to be at the front with the lights. Still surprising to see how short those trains are.

Hong Kong by Xavibarca, www.xavibarca.com
Ribarca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2014, 12:07 AM   #1657
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

I still dont get the point why the new lines in downtown dont have transer stations at points where they meet other lines. It's not very convenient for the riders.

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany

Ribarca liked this post
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2014, 04:45 AM   #1658
ddes

Likes (Received): 928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribarca View Post
I wouldn't say so. Just look at that arrogant idiot expat who was in the news because he bashed the people taking the public transport. He only took it because his Porsche was being repaired. He had to leave the country.

The ultra-rich don't take public transport.

Took the downtown line again today. It's awesome to be at the front with the lights. Still surprising to see how short those trains are.
He's the exception to the rule, I suppose. I've seen some of Singapore's richest people and their families ride on the MRT. Yes, even Eduardo too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
I still dont get the point why the new lines in downtown dont have transer stations at points where they meet other lines. It's not very convenient for the riders.
The authorities' main intention is to divert passenger traffic away from the congested and crowded older lines. So, some think it's deliberate.

Ribarca liked this post
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2014, 02:26 PM   #1659
Ribarca

Likes (Received): 3336

I don't think it's that practical though... In general do you think any person will actually take the line for many stations. Overall it seems like the Circle line more efficient to actually transfer for people living further out.

Hong Kong by Xavibarca, www.xavibarca.com
Ribarca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2014, 04:57 PM   #1660
Vrooms
threeyearson.

EXPO STATION
image hosted on flickr

Expo Station by CX734, on Flickr

Tags