daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 26th, 2004, 11:24 PM   #161
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Likes (Received): 4

First 'green' Merc handed over for trials

NEA to test car that runs on hydrogen fuel in everyday traffic conditions

By Radha Basu

THE first vehicle in a small fleet of experimental, zero-pollution cars was handed over to the National Environment Agency (NEA) at the Botanic Gardens yesterday.

The Mercedes Benz fuel-cell car - built at a reported price tag of $1.8 million - runs on hydrogen, which combines with oxygen in the air to power the engine.

Along with energy, only water and steam are produced. Cars powered by conventional fuels such as petrol and diesel produce noxious fumes.

Six such cars, which have maximum speeds of 140kmh, will be based in Singapore, as part of a global DaimlerChrysler venture.

A total of 60 will be tested over two years in Singapore, Tokyo, San Francisco, Los Angeles and Berlin, in the largest project of its kind in the world.

Also launched yesterday, in Upper East Coast Road, was the first hydrogen-refuelling facility here.

Speaking at the launch, Environment Minister Lim Swee Say noted that 'besides offering greater convenience to vehicle operators, co-location with existing infrastructure could reduce upfront investment and lower operating cost'.

The facility, owned by British Petroleum (BP), is sited at a regular petrol kiosk. A second may be opened by the first quarter of next year.

NEA and four other project partners here - Lufthansa Airlines, tyre-maker Michelin, Conrad Centennial Singapore hotel and BP - will each get a fuel cell car.

The sixth will be used by DaimlerChrysler staff.

NEA chief executive officer Lam Joon Khoi told The Straits Times his officers would provide regular, practical insights on vehicle performance in everyday traffic conditions.

But it will be many years before ordinary Singaporeans will get to whizz about in hydrogen-powered cars, which have engines that now cost 10 times more than conventional ones.

DaimlerChrysler said it does not expect commercial roll-outs before 2010. Dr Andreas Truckenbrodt, who heads its fuel-cell research programme, said the use of platinum - one of the world's most expensive metals - in the fuel cell was driving up costs, but added that alternatives were being explored.

Yet siting the test-driving here is important. Mr Lim said it was important for Singapore to 'keep on pushing the frontiers of technology'.

'It is important that we get involved early to know about the technology and implementation issues, so that when the technology is ready for large-scale deployment, we can be one of the early adopters.'

Having driven the new car, he also said the engine was very smooth and quiet.

A smooth ride for Environment Minister Lim Swee Say, who drove a hydrogen fuell cell Mercedes Benz to the BP kiosk in Upper East Coast Road.

The BP kiosk on Upper east Coast Road is the first hydrogen-refuelling facility here, and the car had more hydrogen fuel pumped in. Five other such cars are on the way.

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 26th, 2004, 11:31 PM   #162
huaiwei
The Monkey King

BP plans station that makes fuel

By Christopher Tan

A REFUELLING station that makes its own fuel is the promise to be found in British Petroleum's (BP) second hydrogen pump in Singapore.

The station, expected to be up and running by the first quarter of next year, will produce its own hydrogen gas by using electricity to split water into hydrogen and oxygen atoms, a process known as electrolysis.

It's one step ahead of the first hydrogen station that was opened officially yesterday. Located in a regular BP petrol kiosk in Upper East Coast Road, its supply of hydrogen arrives in trucks.

BP's general manager for hydrogen, Mr Michael Jones, told The Straits Times that the main cost of hydrogen fuel is transportation.

'We produce enough hydrogen at our oil refineries to refuel 10 million vehicles. And the cost is the same as petrol before taxes,' he said.

'With electricity costing about 15 Singapore cents per kilowatt-hour here, we envisage that hydrogen produced through electrolysis will cost $11 to $12 per kg.'

The figure, which excludes tax and profit, is half the $25-per-kg rate chalked up at the East Coast station, said Mr Jones.

The environmentally-friendly fuel is being used to power six fuel-cell Mercedes-Benz cars on a government-sponsored trial here.

Besides electrolysis, hydrogen can be made from natural gas. BP sees this as the most economical method, but Mr Jones noted that piped gas is currently unavailable at the high-tech one-north hub in Buona Vista, where the second pump will be sited.

Like the East Coast pump, it will cost about $1 million to build.

Mr Jones said BP is the world's leading supplier of automotive hydrogen and operates 10 stations, with four producing the gas where they're sited.

After Singapore, BP will open a station in Australia later this year, with the United States and China next on the list.

'By then, we'd have in excess of 20 stations,' Mr Jones said, and they are in such European cities as Barcelona, Berlin, Hamburg, London, Munich, Porto and Stuttgart.

'That is more demonstration projects than any other energy company. It reflects our approach of 'learning by doing'.'

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
Old July 27th, 2004, 02:58 PM   #163
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Likes (Received): 2

JULY 27, 2004
Longest flyover set to be ready in mid-2005
Troubled contractor L&M Prestressing will be allowed to complete second part of project, work on which had stopped for 10 months

By Christopher Tan

SINGAPORE'S longest flyover, where work had stopped for 10 months because of the contractor's money problems, is now slated to be ready in the middle of next year.

The 5km flyover linking Telok Blangah Road and the West Coast Highway was supposed to have been opened to traffic by last year but contractor L&M Prestressing ran into financial problems. Three-quarters of the project had been done and the final phase - laying the tarmac - would take place next March.

And contrary to speculation, the same contractor, L&M Prestressing, will complete the second portion of the 5km flyover, said the Land Transport Authority yesterday. It would link Telok Blangah Road to the West Coast Highway.

An LTA spokesman said three-quarters of the project had been completed and the final phase - laying the tarmac - would take place next March. p> 'Based on the revised programme, the project is scheduled to complete in the first half of 2005,' she said. 'We are working closely with L&M Prestressing to ensure that they complete the project by this time.'

However, L&M director Yeo Boon Siah said the company planned to complete the project by the first quarter of next year.

The flyover was to have been ready some time in the last quarter of last year but L&M Prestressing ran into financial problems soon after starting work on it in 2000.

Mr Yeo said yesterday that the company had settled all unpaid salaries, an issue some of its employees had brought to the Ministry of Manpower. The company's parent, Indonesian-owned L&M Group Investments, is expected to raise $10 million this week, with a placement of one billion new shares.

Mr Yeo told The Straits Times that majority shareholder Edwin Soeryadjaya - of the family that once owned Indonesian conglomerate Astra International - has undertaken to buy any unsubscribed shares.

The delayed flyover is among a handful of LTA projects that have hit the skids recently. Others include the Queensway-Commonwealth Avenue road interchange and the first stages of the Circle MRT Line.

'We are naturally not happy with the progress,' the LTA spokesman said of L&M's work, 'but we should allow the contractor the greatest leeway to try to complete the job.'

Will the contractor face any penalties for late completion, as provided for in most public works contracts?

'They had earlier put in some claims on meeting unforeseen ground conditions and we will have claims against them for the delay,' the spokesman said, adding that 'this will be sorted out'.

L&M's Mr Yeo said the project was unprofitable but declined to disclose the loss. 'As you'd expect, it is quite substantial,' he added.

According to records, the Pasir Panjang viaduct costs $142 million, and L&M's portion was secured for $58 million.

Mr Yeo also said that L&M Prestressing has another loss-maker on its hands: a $72-million project to build a viaduct linking Bartley Road to Airport Road. This is scheduled to be up by late 2006.

These unprofitable projects have made L&M Prestressing wary, said Mr Yeo. He added that the company would not be tendering for any LTA projects in future and would seek new business outside Singapore.

Copyright @ 2004 Singapore Press Holdings. All rights reserved.
babystan03 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2004, 03:08 PM   #164
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by huaiwei
BP plans station that makes fuel

By Christopher Tan

A REFUELLING station that makes its own fuel is the promise to be found in British Petroleum's (BP) second hydrogen pump in Singapore.

The station, expected to be up and running by the first quarter of next year, will produce its own hydrogen gas by using electricity to split water into hydrogen and oxygen atoms, a process known as electrolysis.

It's one step ahead of the first hydrogen station that was opened officially yesterday. Located in a regular BP petrol kiosk in Upper East Coast Road, its supply of hydrogen arrives in trucks.
Taken from bus......
Old July 27th, 2004, 03:35 PM   #165
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Hahaha!! What a coincidence!

Sometimes I think you shd be a journalist instead.

Old July 27th, 2004, 03:39 PM   #166
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
Hahaha!! What a coincidence!

Sometimes I think you shd be a journalist instead.
Emmm I never say teaching will be my career for life(at least for now since I've not really try it).............
Old July 27th, 2004, 03:41 PM   #167
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Oooo....we shall see then?

Anyway, I pass by that Pasir Panjang Viaduct everytime on my way to school. The funny thing is I never knew it was stalled!

Old July 27th, 2004, 03:47 PM   #168
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
Oooo....we shall see then?

Anyway, I pass by that Pasir Panjang Viaduct everytime on my way to school. The funny thing is I never knew it was stalled!
I used to pass by it everytime too.......I was wondering how come they took so long........(I always think that way when it was peak hour and the road was packed with container trucks........ )
Old July 27th, 2004, 03:49 PM   #169
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Sounds familiar.

But thank goodness most of the time I have to travel via that road, it wasent peak hours. Actually the road is quite smooth most of the time? The viaduct seems to be mainly to get the trucks out of the way!

Old July 27th, 2004, 03:53 PM   #170
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
Sounds familiar.

But thank goodness most of the time I have to travel via that road, it wasent peak hours. Actually the road is quite smooth most of the time? The viaduct seems to be mainly to get the trucks out of the way!
Yes, i always notice it was smooth after those trucks use the completed viaduct at telok blangah....thank goodness.......and most of the time, off peak hours are generally smooth......but sometimes can't help it when the lecture ends at 6pm.....
Old July 27th, 2004, 04:13 PM   #171
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Peak Hour Traffic at Kallang/Lavender
Old July 27th, 2004, 04:32 PM   #172
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystan03
Yes, i always notice it was smooth after those trucks use the completed viaduct at telok blangah....thank goodness.......and most of the time, off peak hours are generally smooth......but sometimes can't help it when the lecture ends at 6pm.....
Interesting.....its almost like a bridge linking the terminals around Keppel with those at Pasir Panjang! And to think that many think its just another initiative to help them get to the city faster..haha.

Old July 27th, 2004, 04:35 PM   #173
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
Interesting.....its almost like a bridge linking the terminals around Keppel with those at Pasir Panjang! And to think that many think its just another initiative to help them get to the city faster..haha.
With the bridge, I'm sure the efficiency and operation of the port will be enhanced......
Old July 27th, 2004, 04:41 PM   #174
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Yeah lah..but in the long long long term, it wont be used by those trucks anymore!

Old July 27th, 2004, 04:43 PM   #175
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Quote:
Yeah lah..but in the long long long term, it wont be used by those trucks anymore!
Maybe in the long long long long term, they'll build one extension from Pasir panjang to tuas.......
Old July 27th, 2004, 04:49 PM   #176
huaiwei
The Monkey King

That is not impossible!

In fact, if I am not wrong, it seems like Jurong port will be shifting to that wierd shaped reclaimed land at Tuas Extension, and it might be allowed to grow to be as big as PSA!

Old July 29th, 2004, 01:40 PM   #177
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

JULY 29, 2004
S'pore makes case for open transport sector

A STRONG and open transport sector will boost economic growth and cooperation in the Asia-Pacific region and countries should take concrete steps to make this liberalisation happen, Transport Minister Yeo Cheow Tong said yesterday.

And the aviation sector was one area he cited as proof that an easing up of rules was necessary for success.

This sector is faced with challenges such as increasing fuel prices, the emergence of budget carriers, changes in aircraft technology and the need to enhance safety and security, Mr Yeo said at the Fourth Apec Transportation Ministerial Meeting in Bali.

According to the World Travel and Tourism Council, by 2010, more than 30 million new jobs will be created in the travel and tourism industries, with total tourism revenue exceeding US$3 trillion (S$5 trillion).

The aviation sector, especially, has to anticipate and facilitate this vast potential for growth, he noted.

'Only with a strong and liberal transport sector can trade, investments and tourism flourish,' he said in his speech on the second day of the three-day meeting.

Singapore, Mr Yeo said, is committed to the process of liberalisation and is also giving priority to ensuring the safety and security of transport.

'This is reflected in all our numerous port facilities and the 1,000 ships on our...shipping registry fully complying with the ISPS code well before July 1,' the minister said.

At a discussion session later yesterday, he again reiterated the benefits of liberalising the air transport sector.

It is estimated that 'for every US$100 spent on air travel, the economy gains US$325; and 100 extra jobs in the air transport sector produce 610 new jobs within the country', he said.

Mr Yeo, describing transport as a key enabler of economic growth, said Asia's economic growth cannot be achieved in isolation.

He acknowledged that Apec member economies are at different levels of economic development and that some may need to liberalise at a slower pace. 'But it is important that all are moving in the same direction, so that we can all share in the growing transport sector pie and benefit from it,' he added.

Copyright @ 2004 Singapore Press Holdings. All rights reserved.
Old August 4th, 2004, 11:48 PM   #178
huaiwei
The Monkey King

S'pore makes case for open transport sector

A STRONG and open transport sector will boost economic growth and cooperation in the Asia-Pacific region and countries should take concrete steps to make this liberalisation happen, Transport Minister Yeo Cheow Tong said yesterday.

And the aviation sector was one area he cited as proof that an easing up of rules was necessary for success.

This sector is faced with challenges such as increasing fuel prices, the emergence of budget carriers, changes in aircraft technology and the need to enhance safety and security, Mr Yeo said at the Fourth Apec Transportation Ministerial Meeting in Bali.

According to the World Travel and Tourism Council, by 2010, more than 30 million new jobs will be created in the travel and tourism industries, with total tourism revenue exceeding US$3 trillion (S$5 trillion).

The aviation sector, especially, has to anticipate and facilitate this vast potential for growth, he noted.

'Only with a strong and liberal transport sector can trade, investments and tourism flourish,' he said in his speech on the second day of the three-day meeting.

Singapore, Mr Yeo said, is committed to the process of liberalisation and is also giving priority to ensuring the safety and security of transport.

'This is reflected in all our numerous port facilities and the 1,000 ships on our...shipping registry fully complying with the ISPS code well before July 1,' the minister said.

At a discussion session later yesterday, he again reiterated the benefits of liberalising the air transport sector.

It is estimated that 'for every US$100 spent on air travel, the economy gains US$325; and 100 extra jobs in the air transport sector produce 610 new jobs within the country', he said.

Mr Yeo, describing transport as a key enabler of economic growth, said Asia's economic growth cannot be achieved in isolation.

He acknowledged that Apec member economies are at different levels of economic development and that some may need to liberalise at a slower pace. 'But it is important that all are moving in the same direction, so that we can all share in the growing transport sector pie and benefit from it,' he added.

Old August 6th, 2004, 10:44 PM   #179
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Auto updating of fare stages on 9 bus routes

Starting tomorrow: Satellite system, delayed from 2002, will prevent overcharging

By Goh Chin Lian

AUTOMATIC updating of fare stages will start on nine bus services from tomorrow, in a move to prevent passengers from being overcharged when bus drivers forget to update them manually.

The new feature will be introduced on all buses 'progressively', said the Land Transport Authority in a joint statement with bus operators SBS Transit and SMRT Buses yesterday.

They have spent the past two years testing a satellite- based system that tracks the position of buses and calculates the fare stages.

The number of fare stages travelled determines the bus fare.

The system will be in place initially on SBS Transit's services 40, 228, 265, 268 and 506, and SMRT Buses' 173, 180, 184 and 189.

Ez-link card readers at the exits on the buses will be de-activated when the doors close and the buses move off.

The readers will be activated only when the bus is 100m away from the next bus stop, when the fare stage has been updated.

SBS Transit said that it will have 50 staff members on hand on its bus services for the first two mornings to help passengers get used to the system.

The automatic updating was to have been introduced with the ez-link electronic fare card in April 2002, but the system was not ready then.

All 4,000 bus stops had to be mapped precisely, as well as the routes of about 3,600 SBS and SMRT buses.

It would have been 'ideal' to launch it at the same time as the ez-link system, but the LTA had said the contactless farecard's basic system needed to be 'stabilised' first.

Several technical issues had to be worked out, both with hardware and software and the system was then acting up at 10 'problematic' bus stops, mostly downtown.

Currently, drivers update the system manually at each fare stage, which typically consists of two bus stops.

If this is not done correctly, wrong fares are charged.

About 95 per cent of drivers remember to do so but an automated system means they will not have to.

Old August 6th, 2004, 10:55 PM   #180
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Bridge-widening at Bukit Timah

A 68-YEAR-OLD bridge for vehicles that spans the Bukit Timah canal will be widened to improve traffic flow in the area.

The Land Transport Authority (LTA) said the 13.5m-long bridge, located at the junction of Chancery Lane, Dunearn Road, Bukit Timah Road and Balmoral Road, will be made wider as it is currently too narrow to handle the amount traffic that uses it.

The bridge, which was built in 1936 and is a two-way road with three lanes, will have a total of six lanes by the end of next year.

The stretch of Chancery Lane, Balmoral Road and Dunearn Road leading to the junction will also be widened.

The project is expected to cost $1.79 million.

Work, which began last month, is expected to be completed in the fourth quarter of next year. It will include landscaping of the area.

The LTA said that vehicles will be able to continue using the bridge while the work is going on.

Tags
metro, mrt, singapore