daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 25th, 2016, 11:13 AM   #1901
Mith252
Proud to be Malay-Chinese

Likes (Received): 3331

TEL Shenton Way

Some pictures I took of the site today.

2016-03-25-01 by Mith252-1, on Flickr

2016-03-25-02 by Mith252-1, on Flickr

2016-03-25-03 by Mith252-1, on Flickr

2016-03-25-04 by Mith252-1, on Flickr

dimlys1994, Ashis Mitra liked this post
Mith252 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 26th, 2016, 11:11 AM   #1902
ScuderiaVincero
Resident racing fanatic

Likes (Received): 904

Quote:
Originally Posted by zidar fr View Post
Singapore has quite a good map but I couldn't resist giving it a go (circular obsession)

hi-res image:
http://www.inat.fr/metro/singapore/
And what a brilliant map it is! Any possibility you could do one for Kuala Lumpur? Our map is definitely sub-par
georgiaame
Will Etihad do a bacon sandwich for that price? I didn't think so.

tullamarine I don't think Etihad (or Emirates for that matter) will do a bacon sandwich at any price!!! Qantas customers on Sydney/Melbourne-London lost bacon from the breakfast menu following the Emirates alliance.

BaconButty I finally understand the true horrors of globalization.

dimlys1994 liked this post
ScuderiaVincero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2016, 05:22 PM   #1903
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26129

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=525

Final Singapore Downtown Line train handed over
Thursday, May 05, 2016

CHANGCHUN Bombardier Railway Vehicles (CBRV) has handed over the final C951 Movia three-car train for Singapore's Downtown Line (DTL) to Singapore Land Transport Authority (LTA) in a ceremony at the joint venture's Chinese plant

LTA awarded Bombardier a $US 571m contract in November 2008 for 219 of the driverless vehicles, and subsequently exercised an option in 2013 for 57 additional cars

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
dimlys1994 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2016, 01:39 PM   #1904
Ashis Mitra

Likes (Received): 1142

At last the western extension of Downtown line has completed. It surly more decongestant the surface transport. Next year the eastern extension will completed I hope.

An interesting thing is between Promenade & Bayfront – there is common section of both Circle & Downtown line. Is there only double track for sharing both routes’ train? Or there are parallel four tracks, tow for each route? Please inform me.

In near future, East-West line, North-East line, Circle line will also be extended. East West line will be extended to west Singapore. North East line will be extended to further north-eastern side of Singapore. Circle line will be a real circle also, but it is quite difficult for land acquisition.

Now we will wait for Thomson line, which is scheduled to open in 2019. It will also be fully underground. I also heard there are two more lines planned – Jurong line & Cross Island line. Please answer me about two things-

1) Which operator will operate those Thomson, Jurong & Cross Island – line, SMRT or SBS?
2) Which kind of power supply will be used – 3rd rail or overhead wire or overhead rail?
Ashis Mitra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2016, 03:17 PM   #1905
leonardot

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashis Mitra View Post
Now we will wait for Thomson line, which is scheduled to open in 2019. It will also be fully underground. I also heard there are two more lines planned – Jurong line & Cross Island line. Please answer me about two things-

1)Which operator will operate those Thomson, Jurong & Cross Island – line, SMRT or SBS?
2)Which kind of power supply will be used – 3rd rail or overhead wire or overhead rail?
1) We do not know who will. Transport Minister Khaw Boon Wan said in one of his speeches that the "LTA must be ready to take over MRT operations". So LTA operating these lines may be a possibility.

Of course, if LTA doesn't intend to take over soon, LTA may also consider doing a rail version of government contracting by bringing in foreign operators like RATP, Go-Ahead or Keolis, etc to operate the Thomson-East Coast Line and future lines.

Again, if LTA doesn't intend to bring in foreign operators, we may have the usual SMRT and SBS Transit. I can't remember exactly where I've read it from, but one paragraph said that it may also be possible for a merger of both companies' rail business to form a bigger SMRT which could be delisted from SGX and to operate all MRT lines.

At this stage, anything is possible in the future. The only question is, when will these happen.

2. I guess LTA has already learnt their lesson when designing the NEL. So overhead cables/catenary will no longer be adopted. All future MRT lines will be equipped with third rail system.

Between the 3rd rail and overhead catenary systems, tunnel sizes will be needed for a MRT line using overhead catenary as large clearance will be needed between the train roof and tunnel ceiling to accommodate the pantograph, hence driving up construction costs. Whereas for MRT lines using the third rail, smaller tunnel sizes will be built as there is less clearance needed between the train and tunnel, hence lower construction cist.

Overhead catenary also requires high voltage to supply the same amount of current to the trains (ie. 1500V DC overhead catenary compared to 750V DC third rail).

Ashis Mitra liked this post

Last edited by leonardot; May 13th, 2016 at 02:31 AM.
leonardot está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2016, 01:46 PM   #1906
Ashis Mitra

Likes (Received): 1142

Thanks for you reply. I suggest the merger of SMRT & SBS for a better administration and operation of all metro routes, or may be taken over by LTA.
Ashis Mitra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2016, 04:22 PM   #1907
leonardot

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
Thanks for you reply. I suggest the merger of SMRT & SBS for a better administration and operation of all metro routes, or may be taken over by LTA.
I agree that it makes a lot more sense with SMRT operating all MRT lines as its original core of business is operating metros.

I am under the impression that both operators have deviated far away from their original core businesses. SMRT's buses are far better than SBS but its North South East West Lines have been denied of necessary system-wide upgrades for a long time until recently. SBS seems to operate its NEL so well that it has also neglected its original core business - buses. SBS buses are often late, crowded and unreliable.

Well, this is partly the fault of a messed up LTA. The 1980s business model was working good. There was no actual good reason for LTA to get SBS to start operating the NEL MRT.

So, with LTA taking back all the buses and MRT assets and leasing them to appointed operators for a period, it is a step in the right direction to show that the LTA is above the operators and is the transport regulator, although I wish to see full nationalisation taking place. Or even if nationalisation is not possible, at least well, go back to the 1980s way of doing public transport business.
Old May 17th, 2016, 09:12 PM   #1908
skyridgeline

Likes (Received): 1214

Quote:
It just make it bigger that's all.

The idea is not let the operators settle into a comfort zone. When it happens, they become rigid and complacent.
skyridgeline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2016, 10:57 AM   #1909
dimlys1994

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/u...o-station.html

Historic terminus to be incorporated in metro station
31 May 2016

The future Cantonment metro station on the final phase of the Circle Line is to be integrated with the historic Tanjong Pagar station building

SINGAPORE: Land Transport Authority has announced details of how the future Cantonment metro station on the final phase of the Circle Line is to be integrated with the historic Tanjong Pagar station. The former terminus of main line rail services from Malaysia, Tanjong Pagar is designated as a national monument ‘with deep historical, architectural and social significance’, said LTA

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
Old June 8th, 2016, 06:37 PM   #1910
dimlys1994

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=525

Singapore mulls alignment for Cross Island Line
Wednesday, June 08, 2016

SINGAPORE's Land Transport Authority (LTA) is exploring two alignment options for the proposed 50km east-west Cross Island Line (CRL) in the island state's Central Catchment Nature Reserve (CCNR) due to concerns over ground conditions

LTA has announced a tender for site investigations for a direct alignment option with site investigation work for the skirting option already underway. The direct alignment is 4km long with 2km of tunnels running up to 12 storeys beneath the CCNR, while the skirting option is 9km in length

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
Old June 11th, 2016, 10:35 PM   #1911
skyfann

Likes (Received): 53

The metrostartions of Singapur looking great
skyfann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2016, 06:29 PM   #1912
NotMav

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfann View Post
The metrostartions of Singapur looking great
Agreed
NotMav no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2016, 07:07 PM   #1913
dimlys1994

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/u...singapore.html

New metro concession model agreed in Singapore
15 Jul 2016

SINGAPORE: The Land Transport Authority announced on July 15 that it had reached an agreement with concessionaire SMRT for implementation of the government’s New Rail Financing Framework model on the North-South and East-West metro lines, the Circle Line and the Bukit Panjang LRT.

Subject to final approval by SMRT shareholders, five changes are to come into effect on October 1.
  • SMRT Trains and SMRT Light Rail will transfer the ownership of operating assets including trainsets, signalling systems and electrical equipment to LTA for the net book value of around S$991m, which is to be paid in stages over three years.
  • SMRT will then focus on operations and maintenance, with LTA taking responsibility for capacity expansion and the financial risks of asset replacement and upgrading.
  • SMRT’s current 30 to 40-year operating licences – which were due to end in 2019 and 2028 – will be replaced by new 15-year contracts running until September 30 2031, with optional five-year extensions. The shorter duration and asset-light nature of the new operating contracts is intended to make them more contestable and responsive to changing requirements.
  • LTA will impose new maintenance performance standards designed to improve reliability.
  • The new licences will include risk and profit sharing, replacing the current model whereby the operator takes all fare and non-fare risk. The change is intended to give SMRT a fare and non-fare EBIT margin of around 5%, which LTA said would be similar to ‘comparable asset-light rail operators in other jurisdictions’

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
Old July 16th, 2016, 08:09 AM   #1914
RyukyuRhymer
普通モデレーター Moderator

Likes (Received): 4374

http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Comp...-back-to-China

Singapore sends faulty subway cars back to China

Quote:
ingapore public transport operator SMRT has decided to send 26 faulty subway cars back to their Chinese manufacturer for repairs, casting a shadow on Beijing's campaign to boost infrastructure exports.

SMRT had ordered 35 cars from CSR Qingdao Sifang, a subsidiary of China state-run rolling stock maker CRRC, between 2009 and 2012. Most had cracks in the structure that connects the body to the undercarriage, according to Singaporean media.

CSR Sifang said it is already addressing the issue and will make the necessary fixes at a factory in China. The repairs are expected to take about three years.

The Chinese company won the contract in Singapore together with Japan's Kawasaki Heavy Industries, which has been providing it with technical assistance.

CSR Sifang has also received rolling stock orders from Hong Kong and other places. The recent incident could impact its future business strategy.

In early June, an American company terminated a joint venture with China Railway that was to build a high-speed rail link in the U.S. West Coast. Chinese companies have also faced delays and revisions to rail projects in Thailand and Indonesia.

RyukyuRhymer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2016, 07:56 PM   #1915
skyridgeline

It looks like there is going to be a purge at the SMRT Corp.

The Transport Ministry announced on Friday (July 15) that the Land Transport Authority will take over all operating assets of the North-South, East-West and Circle lines as well as the Bukit Panjang LRT Line, from SMRT for $1.06 billion. This is the the net book value – or current value – of the assets, plus GST.
- PublishedJul 15, 2016, 3:02 pm SGT, http://www.straitstimes.com/singapor...cing-framework

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapor...cing-framework

Old July 21st, 2016, 04:37 PM   #1916
dimlys1994

From Railway Gazette:

Quote:
http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/n...singapore.html

Metro extension works begin in Singapore
21 Jul 2016

SINGAPORE: Transport Minister Khaw Boon Wan attended a groundbreaking ceremony for two further stages of the city’s metro network on July 21.

Work has started on the East Coast section of the Thomson-East Coast Line. The 13 km extension is being built in two phases. The seven stations from Tanjong Rhu to Bayshore are due to open in 2023, with the two at the eastern end the following year.

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
Old September 10th, 2016, 01:17 AM   #1917
skyridgeline

Published on Sep 9, 2016

Old December 13th, 2016, 02:45 PM   #1918
dimlys1994

From Metro Report:

Quote:
http://www.metro-report.com/news/new...echnology.html

Johor Bahru – Singapore RTS Link to use metro technology
13 Dec 2016

ASIA: Following their annual retreat, on December 13 Prime Minister of Malaysia Mohd Najib Tun Abdul Razak and his Singaporean counterpart Lee Hsien Loong welcomed the progress which the bilateral Transportation Links Work Group has made with the developing proposals for the Johor Bahru-Singapore Rapid Transit System Link between their countries.

The RTS Link would connect Bukit Chagar and Johor Bahru in Malaysia with Woodlands North in Singapore, where passengers would transfer to Singapore’s future Thomson-East Coast metro line. The RTS Link is intended to improve regional connectivity and reduce congestion at the border crossings

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages

nazrey liked this post
Old December 30th, 2016, 10:40 AM   #1919
dimlys1994

From Channel News Asia:

Quote:
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/...9/3377950.html

Punggol Point LRT Station to open on Dec 29
Posted 19 Dec 2016 10:17

SINGAPORE: Punggol Point Station on the West Loop of the Punggol Light Rapid Transit (LRT) system will open for service next Thursday (Dec 29).

In a press release on Monday, SBS Transit said the new station will provide convenience to commuters, especially those staying along Ponggol Seventeenth Avenue

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
Old May 12th, 2017, 03:38 PM   #1920
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 848

At the local Singapore forum, I found out about a suggestion that proposed Cross Island MRT Line may use eight-car trains. Current MRT lines have three- to six-car trains.

I was thinking the length of a line's trains would depend on the density of the areas served by that line. I would be fine with the Cross-Island Line using six-car trains, but I'm not sure about eight-car trains.

About the suggestion of eight-car trains, I think the areas served by the Cross-Island line would have to be more dense than the areas served by all the other lines, except the Singapore CBD.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
metro, mrt, singapore