daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 19th, 2010, 05:45 AM   #1
HSRCanada

Likes (Received): 0

MISC | Truck vs. Train? Transloading cost efficiency

OK, we all know the awesome efficiency of rail travel, but I know there is a certain distance until which running the entire way by truck is cheaper than transloading to train. I think I found such a chart in Wikipedia, but it was very long ago and I can't find it. Does anybody know where a similar chart may be found or at least provide me with costs of transloading for bulk, intermodal etc.?

Thank you.
HSRCanada no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 19th, 2010, 12:16 PM   #2
Restless

Likes (Received): 271

You can go into the wikipedia history and look up all the past versions of the page.
Restless no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 01:40 AM   #3
HSRCanada

Likes (Received): 0

i can't remember which page it was though.
HSRCanada no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2010, 11:10 PM   #4
alonzo-ny
Thermobaric Thagomizer

Likes (Received): 1188

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_ef...transportation
alonzo-ny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 12:13 AM   #5
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

It is not that simple. Comparing the costs to haul "x" tons through "y" kilometers in train or trucks is relatively easy, once you know the inputs costs (diesel, electricity, rolling stock etc.). To make comparisons fair, you'd have to assume a non-tolled road and a free-transit railroad whose infrastructure is detached from rail ownership, which is not common except in Europe.

Still, you have to consider that not all cargo is equal. Indeed, hauling soybean in bulk from a grain elevator to a farm is completely different than, say, hauling notebooks to 35 different stores in a given region or establishing a just-in-time operation for fresh vegetables retail or to transport pieces among different nods in a supply chain for an automaker.

In many cases, even if origin and destination are served by railroads, the time implicit cost of bulking containers of items and then sorting them out in yards would far exceed any gain in the transportation cost itself. The containerization of most non-bulk cargo make truck-train transloading costs quite straightforward if you have proper yards. You can even use RO-RO or piggyback operations too. Indeed these last too approaches are gaining market over other arrangements exactly because they allow for faster turnover times.

Still, only in US and in (very) limited parts of Europe you will find railroads that are dedicated primarily for optimized cargo operation instead of having it relegated to the capricious and usually money-losing passenger operation.
Old June 26th, 2010, 03:25 PM   #6
honwai1983

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alonzo-ny View Post
Fuel efficiency of Bus is much higher than Cars~~
For example, in Hong Kong Double deck Bus, carry around 120 passenger,
with around 300hp diseal engine. That is not impossible fuel efficiency lower than pravite cars.
honwai1983 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2010, 04:15 PM   #7
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21227

You can't measure efficiency only like this. There is not a bus route with a stop right in front of your door to anywhere else in the city, without any waiting time, 24/7/365.