daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 27th, 2010, 07:23 PM   #41
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I passed through there just last weekend! I can remember it before that overpass was built.
There must be Google images of circles like Flemington.... (Which is still a "pure" traffic circle with no overpass.)
I believe the NJ DOT is upgrading a few South Jersey Circles to to Roundabout Interchanges.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 2nd, 2010, 11:20 AM   #42
3naranze

Likes (Received): 2

unicum in italy and maybe in the rest of the world:
A23-A4 junction near Palmanova (UDINE). You merge at high speed
(I don't remember if there's a speed limit) and if you have to reach Udine(north) from Venice(east),
the exit is on the left. It became the brand of the Autovie venete,
motorway concessionaire.

Horseshoe junction at catania by-pass and the new motorway catania-siracusa:

opening soon (this june):
the new trumpet junction A27-A28 at Conegliano:
3naranze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2010, 10:02 PM   #43
Paddington

Likes (Received): 1261

Not an expressway, but here is a new type of "super street" intersection they are building in Ohio at State Route 4 to connect a busy major road with a minor one:

Generic Super Street:

Paddington no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2010, 10:10 PM   #44
Paddington

This type of intersection, called the "Michigan Turn" is extremely popular in the Detroit area, especially on major thoroughfares such as Ford Road, Woodward Ave., Michigan Ave., Telegraph Road:

Interactive animation
Old May 2nd, 2010, 11:50 PM   #45
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1766

Must say the Mitchigan turn is quite clever - does require a very wide central reservation though.
NCT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 01:32 AM   #46
Paddington

The Detroit area is essentially unsurmountable by foot. The only place that might be worse for pedestrians that I've been to is Texas, because of its expressway + service road setup.

In nearby Ohio, you can kind of get around by foot a little bit in the suburban areas. In Michigan, I've noticed that most roads don't even bother building pavements for pedestrians. The type of urban layout preferred by the DOT in Michigan is huge boulevards with big central medians for the U-turns. A 6 lane road now becomes as a wide as a 10 lane road. There aren't a whole lot of stops and you can blaze by easily at 60-70 mph (well above the speed limit) on Ford Road or Michigan Ave. where I live.

Last edited by Paddington; May 3rd, 2010 at 01:39 AM.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 02:35 AM   #47
Bartolo

Likes (Received): 1

The way roads are set up in the Detroit area are way different than they are in the Toronto area, or anywhere else I've been for that matter. Hall Road which is basically the only mile road I've been on is basically an expressway with driveways. The speed limit is 50 and when I was driving on it I was doing more like 60-70. Where I live there is nothing like it. The suburbs for the most part in my area are walkable to a certain degree.

Also to a person that is not from Michigan, the Michigan Left can be a little hard to grapple at first. I know it took a little while for me to get used to it. I do see its advantages, but the a major issue is they do require quite a large ROW, and that it forces to have back lotting, or the use of frontage roads, seeing as you cant really have non-signalized intersections with those kinds of roads.

In Michigan do they use stack interchanges? I can't remember if any of the ones I would of gone through were. As Southern Ontario and Michigan have similar climates I just wonder if they do use them. Here there is only Stack and that is the 400-407 interchange.
Bartolo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 02:58 AM   #48
Paddington

The roads in Michigan are complicated. My family is in Toledo so I've been coming to Detroit for many years. I had a hard time with driving here until I actually moved here. Even now though, I've almost gotten into an accident a few times because here almost every intersection is different. There's some places where you make a left turn directly. There's some places where you make a Michigan Turn. Then there's other places where you turn left on to the median, and then you face a blinking red light and try to dodge the traffic coming from the right. It can be very confusing.

By contrast, in nearby Ohio, every intersection is pretty much the same. They all meet at right angles. They usually have dedicated left turn lanes. That's all there is to it. U-turns are infrequent, if not banned outright. Ohio doesn't have any metros as big as Detroit, but Columbus has pretty big roads in some places. Somehow Ohio gets things done quite well while keeping the roads real simple at the same time.

Detroit does have a couple of 4 level stack interchanges. There's I-96/M-39 (Southfield Fwy) pictured below, I-75/I-696, and possibly I-94/I-96 (asymmetric).

Detroit's year round temp is 49, while it's 47 for Toronto. There is about 45 inches of snow here.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 03:05 AM   #49
Bartolo

Likes (Received): 1

They do, do things differently in Michigan. It is kind of expected though in a way that the car is king there. The car industry is huge in Michigan. In Ontario pretty much all intersections are 90 degree right angle, and I have never come across a Michigan left style intersection. Most major intersections have left turn lanes, usually with dedicated left turn phases.
Bartolo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2010, 01:51 PM   #50
BWG95

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalle_sg View Post
Interchanges with roundabouts occur in Sweden - especially in urban areas and on the newly constructed roads. Like this, E4 around Uppsala:

Apart from that, there are many different types. The most popular, I think, are diamonds, trumpets and something like that (E4 around Tystberga):

Or a combination of a diamond and that one above (E4 past Hölö):

But that only concerns interchanges with normal roads. Motorway/motorway interchanges... well, there aren't many of those in Sweden. And each of them is unique
Well, there are a number of motorways interchanges in sweden, although they aren't many. In malmö. we have two cloverleaf interchanges, two half cloverleaf, half stack interchanges, one half stack interchange and one full stack interchange. In Helsingborg, there are two, both are wuite unique, a mix of different types of interchanges. In Gothenburg, there is one half stack interchange, one very unique (and not so very good) interchange at the e6/e20 crossing, and also a stack interchange. Stockholm has two stack interchanges on the e4/e20 motorway, and one on the södra länken tunnel. There's also a half stack interchange in the capital.

Besides from that, there are smaller ones in cities like Linköping and Uppsala, and the connection to Stockholm's international airport Arlanda, all three from the E4 motorway.
BWG95 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2010, 01:52 PM   #51
BWG95

Likes (Received): 5

So we have quite a few motorway interchanges in Sweden as well!
BWG95 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 12:50 PM   #52
setiajie

Likes (Received): 8

Surabaya - Mojokerto Tollway (East Java - Indonesia)

This is the begin of Surabaya - Mojokerto Tollway at Waru Interchange :

setiajie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 01:08 PM   #53
Norsko
Urban Citizen

Likes (Received): 6

Could someone please explain the purpose of that Italian horse shoe junction? I do not understand it
Old July 22nd, 2010, 01:25 PM   #54
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

It's easy. If two roads meet under a very limited angle, you cannot construct a reasonable curve on that specific location. A curve with a larger radius can be constructed just downstream to ensure a reasonable flow. 30 km/h curves on a motorway cannot be considered a reasonable or safe flow.

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 01:28 PM   #55
Norsko
Urban Citizen

Likes (Received): 6

Thanks! Then I understand
Old July 22nd, 2010, 01:32 PM   #56
Troopchina

Likes (Received): 2374

That horseshoe junction is really weird.

But since it is in Italy it doesn't surprise me, traffic patterns there, particularly in cities strike me as very odd.
Troopchina no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 05:30 AM   #57
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Why is that horseshoe junction so far from the actual physical meeting of the motorways? Why not like H3×A2 in Slovenia or M70×M7 in Hungary?
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote