daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 9th, 2010, 01:43 AM   #21
Vecais Sakarnis

Likes (Received): 735

This is really interesting thread. I'm surprised about all those Suiss-German stylish houses in Brazilian towns. I even thought that you're kidding or confused something, but when I saw third time the same, I knew that can't be mistake.

You have much to discover in Northern Europe as well! I see, you have been in Tallinn and Helsinki, but somehow have missed Saint Petersburg, Stockholm, Riga and Vilnius - all of them great and amazing cities.

STRASBOURG & BRUSSELS 2013 BERLIN 2012 VILNIUS 2013 TALLINN 2012 MADRID 2011 PARIS 2008 ROME 2008 MARSEILLE 2008 WARSAW 2008

UPCOMING: Malta 2013 | Cagliari 2013 | Amsterdam 2013 | Stockholm 2011
Vecais Sakarnis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 13th, 2010, 02:18 AM   #22
VelesHomais

Likes (Received): 5031

Wow, you've been everywhere. Interesting thread
Old May 15th, 2010, 05:09 PM   #23
frankauperle
German dogs

Likes (Received): 0

Sch÷ne presentatione oder zo!

I enjoyed! Thanks
frankauperle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2010, 04:37 PM   #24
Medaart

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidt View Post
Not that German anymore. Of course most people have German ancestry, but there's also a significant population of Portuguese and Italian decendants. There's not much German influence in the architecture anymore and most of what we have is in the city centre and some fachwerk (dunno in English) houses in the suburbs.

It's not rare to see people with German surnames (look at mine), but at the same time, most of the people don't speak German anymore. Actually only older generations speak it. You'll only find significant groups of people speaking German in the suburbs or in the surrounding cities (which are much smaller - BNU has 300,000 inabitants and our biggest neighbour has 50,000).

Many people also think that speaking German is a bad thing, a colono's (settler in Portuguese, but in reality that word means that such people are ignorant and work in rural areas) thing and younger generations are more interested in learning English than German - mainly for the reason I said above, but also because English is much easier for someone who speaks Portuguese.

Also, the city went through a degermanization process in the 40's during the WWII. Brazil, who was originally an ally of Germany, declared war on Germany and everything related to Germany (including the language) was banned in Brazil. Back then Blumenau was a mainly German-speaking city (my dad was raised in German), but German could not be spoken on the streets, otherwise you'd go to jail. My grandparents got married in a cinema in an unofficial German ceremony. Companies like my family's (Schrader) had to have their names changed (ours was renamed to Cia. Comercial Coelho) and there was a lot of repression on the streets.

So well, as you can see, it forcedly became more Portuguese and less German during the time!
Hi, I felt like I needed to thank you after all this time. I read it earlier but forgot to reply. I speak a little German and I'm just interested about any diaspora of any people anywhere. great story
Medaart no está en línea   Reply With Quote