daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 9th, 2012, 12:15 PM   #261
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8835

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw373 View Post
Firstly I think you may have missread what I wrote. Suggest you go back and read my first post on the matter, in particular the bit where I said in America, repeat in America the vehicle that was in the picture was NOT refered to a tram, and how in Europe the vehicles that run on light rail systems are generally called trams (and are actually different to the vehicle pictured). In fact I would say it seems like we are actually in agreeance.

As for your comment above are you refering to the vehicles or to the system? If the system then most of the systems in the UK are refered to as light rail, but the vehicles are called trams (or the generic term train). The exception of course is the Docklands Light Rail system in London where the vehicles are not called trams, however quite clearly the DLR is heavier than what is considered light rail in the rest of Europe, in is more a metro system than anything.
This is a bit of an odd discussion. The German Stadtbahn systems and the pre-metro systems in other European cities are actually "light rail" systems by many definitions. The Essen Stadtbahn actually uses the same vehicles as the DLR used to before it got its new stock.

The whole definition of "light rail" vs. "tram" came about because they wanted to rebrand trams to something else to get people over the image of slow, clunky, noisy vehicles that take up road space, so they came up with the term "light rail". But now things have moved beyond this. Generally, segregated ROW and more metro-like services combined with tram-like vehicles characterise "light rail" systems. But anyway, this is a bit of a meaningless diversion into terminology that doesn't really have a bearing on the system.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 10th, 2012, 12:20 AM   #262
ajw373

Likes (Received): 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
This is a bit of an odd discussion. The German Stadtbahn systems and the pre-metro systems in other European cities are actually "light rail" systems by many definitions. The Essen Stadtbahn actually uses the same vehicles as the DLR used to before it got its new stock.

The whole definition of "light rail" vs. "tram" came about because they wanted to rebrand trams to something else to get people over the image of slow, clunky, noisy vehicles that take up road space, so they came up with the term "light rail". But now things have moved beyond this. Generally, segregated ROW and more metro-like services combined with tram-like vehicles characterise "light rail" systems. But anyway, this is a bit of a meaningless diversion into terminology that doesn't really have a bearing on the system.
I agree and the definition isn't really clear. However however what triggered this was someone making comment as to how outdated the "tram" pictured was. I was pointing out that in the US the vehicle would be considered light rail and not a tram/streetcar and how in the US light rail is a separate class hence why it is a big chunky vehicle.

In Europe and elsewhere light rail, as you point out could be anything from trams to 'metro' style systems like DLR, but the vehicle we were discussing could in no way shape or form be called a tram.
ajw373 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2012, 10:21 PM   #263
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5796

Washington Post
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...U_graphic.html

Quote:
Redevelopment near Wiehle Avenue station
With Metro slated to open the Wiehle Avenue station next year, Fairfax County has been drawing up plans to redevelop the area around the station to accommodate higher density buildings and add residential complexes.

Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2012, 05:49 AM   #264
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17045

Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2012, 05:23 AM   #265
Nexis
Dark Wolf

image hosted on flickr

Untitled by VaDOT, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Old August 6th, 2012, 10:45 PM   #266
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Lovely, metros goin' interstate
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2012, 10:25 PM   #267
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Old August 21st, 2012, 04:14 AM   #268
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 169

When is the train supposed to hit the track in DC Streetcar system?
krnboy1009 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2012, 02:00 PM   #269
flapane

Likes (Received): 2150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Is it for the Silver Line or for some streetcar line?
Old August 22nd, 2012, 06:16 PM   #270
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3717

The Silver Line.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2012, 05:30 PM   #271
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

http://greatergreaterwashington.org/...ving-problems/

Quote:
Metro's 5-second policy adds delay without solving problems
by Matt Johnson September 20, 2012 10:21 am

Last week, Metro introduced a new policy: after pulling into the station, train operators must wait 5 seconds before opening the doors. Ostensibly, this would give them time to ensure the train is properly berthed. This policy won't actually solve that problem. But it will delay riders.

While Metro denies that any specific incident caused the change, the timing suggests Metro is reacting to last month's close call where a Green Line operator opened the train doors before the train had completely pulled into the station.

Metro has had 4 door-opening incidents over the last several months, and several more in the past couple years, the results of both technical glitches and operator errors. This new policy does nothing to actually address these root causes, but will add hours of travel time to Washington area commutes.

Where did this issue come from?

Up until 2008, trains running in automatic mode pulled into the stations, and, when the sensors detected the train was berthed correctly, the doors opened automatically.

But several times early that year, train doors opened on the opposite side of the train from the platform. Metro determined that this problem in the automatic system was happening because of the power upgrades needed for 8-car trains, and shut off the automatic door-opening feature.

Until the problem was fixed, all operators would have to open the doors manually. In most stations, this meant that riders had to wait a couple seconds for the operator to walk across the cab to the left side.

Unfortunately, this created a new problem. Since the operators could manually open the doors, it became possible for them to open the doors before the train was fully in a station. Since Metro operates a mix of 6- and 8-car trains and the automatic system no longer ensures trains are fully berthed, a few operators stopped their 8-car trains at the then-in-use 6-car marker and opened their doors with the 8th car still in the tunnel.

So, in 2009, Metro instituted the "eights to the gate" mnemonic solution. This was supposed to remind the operators of 8-car trains that they had to pull all the way to the front of the platform. Of course, incidents continued to happen.

Then, in the wake of the Fort Totten collision, WMATA changed their policy again, requiring all trains, regardless of length, to pull to the front of the platform. At some stations, this has exacerbated crowding. At Gallery Place, for instance, westbound Red Line trains that are only 6 cars long stop beyond the area where passengers transferring from the Green and Yellow lines come up. This usually leads to a mad dash for the last door of the last car when the train arrives.

And yet, even with that policy, where every train should pull to the head of the platform every time, there have been a few instances where doors open too early. Hence the new policy.

Is it worth the cost?

It's true that this 5-second delay could reduce the chance that an operator will open the doors in the wrong place. But it does not prevent it from happening.

The benefit is questionable. These events, while serious, are very rare. A solution that reduces the chances of this happening is welcome, but this particular solution still depends on the operator thinking clearly. That's the same result the other changes have tried to create, and they haven't solved the problem.

It's great Metro is trying to stop this from happening again. But without a true way to actually prevent the operator from opening the train doors unsafely, riders will just face yet another inconvenient policy change in a few months.

Why is this so bad?

@WMATA asked on Twitter Monday, if this new policy reduces the chance of a potentially life-threatening situation, how can it be a bad thing?

It's important to work hard to make the system safe, but this change doesn't eliminate the danger. Even if it reduces it some, it's important to weigh the amount it reduces an already-unlikely event against the guaranteed cost.

Sure, 5 seconds doesn't sound like much, but it adds up. A Red Line train running from Glenmont to Shady Grove will lose over 2 minutes due to this. And that still might not sound like much, but as we add delay, we risk more train back-ups, and schedule adjustments, meaning riders miss connections.

Last Friday, for example, the extra 20-30 seconds my Red Line trip took made me barely miss my Green Line train at Fort Totten. That meant I had to wait 7 minutes for the next train. On the average, most riders aren't going to barely miss connections they otherwise would have made. But the fact that it becomes a distinct possibility means many will add some time to their schedules.

The daily delay for a single rider may not be a whole lot, but it adds up for the region. With daily weekday boardings around 740,000 and a conservative estimated average trip length of 7 stations, the new policy will waste 26 million seconds, or about 7000 hours of Washingtonians' time every day. This seems like a lot of lost productivity for a measure that doesn't actually prevent the dangerous situation.

What's a real solution?

Solving the problem means making door operations fail-safe, not making operators do more mnemonic exercises at stations.

In the London Underground, for example, if a train, for whatever reason, doesn't detect the platform sensor, the operator can manually open the doors. But to do so, they must push a special override button first, then push a second special button to open the doors. If the train doesn't detect the platform, the operator cannot open the doors using the regular method.

On Metro, the trains have a similar platform detection system. But it's only operable when the doors are in automatic mode. When the doors are in manual, the train's computer systems do not require an override, and the operator can open the doors whenever the train is stationary (whether it's in a station or not).

It won't matter if Metro requires all operators to do a few rounds of heads, fingers, knees, and toes at every station stop before opening the doors. If the doors don't have a safety mechanism in place, it's only a matter of time until a train operator opens the doors in the wrong place again.

Now, Metro may have determined that if trains will soon be returning to automatic operation, that this sort of feature is not required. But no one at the agency has been willing to publicly guess at a date for returning to automatic operation. Besides, some trains will be operated in manual mode from time to time. And regardless, this sort of safety mechanism should be in place.

In June of 2009, Metro's then-spokesperson Steve Taubenkiebel was quoted in the Washington Post about the unsafe door operations: "We wish we had an answer as to why this continues to happen."

Unfortunately, more than three years later, riders still ask the same question. We wish Metro had an answer too. This new rule is certainly not it.

Ultimately, this just punishes riders for the sins of a miniscule number of train operators. And to add insult to injury, the punishment won't even ensure that the crime won't happen again.
Old October 16th, 2012, 01:06 AM   #272
đđeůx
Still Comin' Out Strong

Likes (Received): 1980

I was in D.C. last month, and there seemed to be some repairs or construction going on on the red line on Saturdays and only one track was being used. Is the red line being expanded? I won't be back permanently until January but I'm curious.
Old October 16th, 2012, 02:25 AM   #273
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by đđeůx View Post
Is the red line being expanded?
No; of course not.
Old October 16th, 2012, 02:34 AM   #274
đđeůx
Still Comin' Out Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
No; of course not.
*Cant tell if serious*

Seriously though, I didn't know if it was just a repair or expansion I heard conflicting things while there from some people.
Old October 16th, 2012, 06:07 PM   #275
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by đđeůx View Post
Seriously though, I didn't know if it was just a repair or expansion I heard conflicting things while there from some people.
The only expansion on the Metro currently going on is the Silver Line to IAD.

There's ongoing track work throughout the network though - http://www.wmata.com/rail/trackwork.cfm
Old October 16th, 2012, 09:35 PM   #276
đđeůx
Still Comin' Out Strong

So that's what it was thanks.
Old October 18th, 2012, 02:30 AM   #277
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

New Washington Metro cars will go into service in 2014

image hosted on flickr

IMG_7831 by tracktwentynine, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMG_7844 by tracktwentynine, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMG_7810 by tracktwentynine, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMG_7841 by tracktwentynine, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMG_7835 by tracktwentynine, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMG_7818 by tracktwentynine, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMG_7817 by tracktwentynine, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMG_7804 by tracktwentynine, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMG_7770 by tracktwentynine, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IMG_7768 by tracktwentynine, on Flickr

Highcliff liked this post
Old October 18th, 2012, 06:59 AM   #278
goten2255

Likes (Received): 21

thats a pretty cool Railcar for Washington Metro, i really like it.

it looks very similar to the New York City new Subway cars with the displays and such but i like it, one thing that bother me was the map but i am sure it will be fixed when the silver line comes into play and so will the DC Streetcars as well.

i rode on the DC metro when i was in DC and i was amazed by it, its an amazing metro system and i am glad to see it expand towards Dulles and beyond it is vastly needed and it can serve the communites better, and also the museum where the space shuttle is at.

i wonder how the announcments will be and who will be voicing them, i can imagine it could be Joe Biden since he is big Amtrak Supporter and rider, and so am i, or Ray La hood? hmmmm?
goten2255 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 12:30 PM   #279
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53485

Fairfax County Approves $2.3 Billion Tysons Corner Transportation plan

image hosted on flickr

Metro Rail Construction from Falls Church to Tysons Corner

Quote:
By Martin Di Caro|10/17/2012 – 11:34 am

The Fairfax Board of Supervisors has given final approval to a massive transportation funding plan for the future Tysons Corner.

The Tysons Plan looks 40 years into the future, anticipating 113 million square feet of new development by 2050 in a modern city rising west of Washington. The board on Tuesday approved $2.3 billion to build a new transportation network for the future Tysons Corner, which includes a grid designed for buses, pedestrians, and cars — as well as four new Metro Stations. It will be paid for in part by commercial and residential taxes.

Fairfax County Board chairman Sharon Bulova heralded the move, calling it “a major step in the right direction” for the area. “Investing in Tysons is an investment in the future of Fairfax County,” she said. “Never before has such a long range, comprehensive plan been developed to support a major redevelopment initiative.”

But the vision of high-rise condos and gleaming corporate offices doesn’t mean much to Lucille Weiner, a senior citizen who lives in a condo in Tysons and who spoke at a public hearing Tuesday before the board approved the plan. She said the tax increases on residential properties in Tysons Corner would make her life more difficult.

“As I read the reasoning around taxing the neighborhood that is Tysons Corner, I read the phrase ‘the folks that will benefit the most,’” said Weiner. “It sure isn’t me who will have to move if this happens. I appeal to my elected representatives to help stop this frivolous idea on the extra tax on the people who live in Tysons.”

Michael Bogasky, the president of the residents association in Weiner’s condominium, agreed with that assessment. “Let’s create a new tax district so that we can pay more in taxes than anyone else in Fairfax County,” he said.

Weiner believes the new taxes should not be on homeowners at all. “When the Metro reached Greenbelt [Maryland], residents of Greenbelt did not get taxed, nor did residents of Vienna [Virginia]. when the Metro reached Vienna,” she said.

Developers stand to gain the most from Tysons’ future growth. One of them, CityLine Developers, supports the tax plan. “If I ever thought there was a day that I would come and ask you to approve $13 a square foot in transportation proffers and ask you for a 7- to 9- cent tax on top of that, I probably should have retired,” said Thomas Fleury a CityLine vice president, with a laugh. “That’s what it takes to get the job done.”

[...]

desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2012, 03:21 AM   #280
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Fake "DC Subway" map used in the TV show "Leverage" - it almost looks like the real thing...

http://transitmaps.tumblr.com/post/3...26/leverage-dc

Tags
baltimore, public transit, washington