daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 28th, 2007, 04:00 AM   #21
TexasBoi
Texas-NoVA

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGrad View Post
Dont forget Reagan National, and soon to be Seattle and Vancouver as well
and Dallas as well. The new Orange Line will open at DFW in 2013.
TexasBoi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 1st, 2008, 11:20 AM   #22
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18217

Kaine continues push for federal support for Dulles rail
29 January 2008

WASHINGTON (AP) - Virginia Gov. Timothy M. Kaine said Tuesday he has been talking directly with Transportation Secretary Mary Peters to address doubts raised by federal officials that could kill the long-planned rail extension to Dulles International Airport.

Federal Transit Administrator James S. Simpson informed Virginia officials on Thursday that the project was unlikely to qualify for $900 million in federal funding, without which the entire $5 billion package would collapse.

The news took the state by surprise. Officials had believed the project was on track for approval.

Speaking on WTOP radio's "Ask the Governor" program, Kaine held out hope that the federal funding could be salvaged.

"Secretary Peters has said, 'We want to get to the bottom of this and wrestle with it,'" Kaine said.

Peters, who is Simpson's boss, has the final say, the governor noted. He said he had spoken to her briefly at President Bush's State of the Union speech and they "had a good exchange."

Virginia officials plan to write to Peters by the end of the week, Kaine said, and in answering Simpson's concerns will probably "invite some further dialogue."

Sarah Echols, a Department of Transportation spokeswoman, said the secretary's office and the Federal Transit Administration "continue to communicate with the project sponsors and all parties involved as they seek to address the serious risks that face this project."

Kaine reiterated that until last week's meeting, state officials were under the impression that the project was on its way to approval. Over the summer, the FTA said the project was too expensive, so the state proposed cuts to reduce the price tag for the first phase of the extension from $2.8 billion to $2.5 billion.

Kaine said the FTA accepted those cuts, though Simpson questioned their validity last week.

With the funding in doubt, some have raised the possibility that the project could attract private investors. But Kaine said that such a scenario would still require the money to be made up somewhere. The easiest way to do that would be further toll increases on the Dulles Toll Road. Tolls have already been raised to provide some of the funds for the project.

"My worry would be that the toll requirements would be exorbitant," he said.

Kaine said the project should have some federal contribution, given the significance of the airport, which is relied on by members of Congress and their staffs, as well as international diplomats.

"Let's get back to the common sense here, which is this is a huge federal asset, a huge asset in this region," he said. "There is really not an effective future for growth of Dulles, for growth of this region without rail."

That view was echoed in a full-page ad taken out in Tuesday's Washington Post by several business groups. The ad included an open letter to Bush from the Dulles Corridor Rail Association, the Washington Airports Task Force and the Greater Washington Board of Trade, urging him to help move the project forward. It also directed supporters to an online petition at DullesMetrorailNow.org.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 07:37 AM   #23
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Industry leaders: Anti-transit bias may be hurting Dulles rail
30 January 2008

WASHINGTON (AP) - Transit industry leaders say a Bush administration bias against public transportation could explain why an extension of Washington's Metrorail system has run into unexpected roadblocks.

The Federal Transit Administration said last week that a project to extend the rail system to Dulles International Airport outside Washington was unlikely to qualify for 900 million dollars in federal funding. Without the money, the entire five billion dollar package would collapse.

The FTA says the project's high cost and the need for extensive repairs to Metro's existing infrastructure were key reasons the funding would be denied.

But the American Public Transportation Association says the Bush administration has been eliminating projects from the funding pipeline. Industry officials were surprised to see it happen to a major project in the Washington area.

The FTA denied the bias charge, saying the administration aimed to be practical in making investments.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old February 5th, 2008, 06:36 PM   #24
hkskyline
Hong Kong

As Dulles rail plan falters, some push for buses
5 February 2008

FAIRFAX, Va. (AP) - Virginia lawmakers who support adding swift-moving buses in the Dulles corridor instead of rail are intensifying their push as a planned Metro extension falters.

The Federal Transit Administration says the northern Virginia rail project won't qualify for critical federal funding without major changes.

Republican Senator Ken Cuccinelli of Fairfax is among those who favor buses. He says they would be far cheaper than rail and can cover a wider area.

But Fairfax County Chamber of Commerce president Bill Lecos says buses wouldn't move as many people as rail and wouldn't create an opportunity to redesign sprawling Tysons Corner.

Old February 5th, 2008, 08:07 PM   #25
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10408

What a shame. Talk about a golden opportunity wasted.

NOVA has the worst traffic that I've personally seen and would have gained incredibly from this extension.
Hopefully though, they could still get the funding eventually.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 12:10 PM   #26
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Dulles rail wins approval from Bush administration
7 January 2009

WASHINGTON (AP) - The long-anticipated extension of Metrorail to Dulles International Airport is another step closer to reality.

U.S. Transportation Secretary Mary Peters announced Wednesday that the Bush administration has given its final approval for phase one of the $5.2 billion project. The project now goes before Congress for its 60-day review.

Wednesday's decision was expected after the Federal Transit Administration gave its approval last month. That came nearly a year after regulators threatened to pull federal funding because of concerns about cost overruns and other problems.

The Metrorail extension, known as the silver line, will be built in two phases. The first will run from Falls Church through Tysons Corner to Reston. The second phase will run from Reston to Dulles and Loudoun County.

Old January 14th, 2009, 11:52 PM   #27
jarbury
Resident Planner

Likes (Received): 24

This is great news. Isn't the construction period horrendously long though?
Old January 15th, 2009, 12:46 AM   #28
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10408

Took them long enough.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2009, 10:20 PM   #29
hoosier

Likes (Received): 63

Goddamn Bush administration tries to deny and ends up delaying federal funding for a very necessary and worthwile infrastructure project but pisses away tens of billions in no bid contracts in Iraq and tax cuts without blinking an eye, and they have the nerve to say that they were just trying to make sure the rail extension was a practical investmnet. What a bunch of ******* hypocrites. I truly think they want this country to crumble from the inside to prove their point that government is bad. Well, government is NOT inherently bad, but it sure is when run by a Republican!
Old July 4th, 2009, 07:22 PM   #30
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Fees Likely To Double on Dulles Toll Road by 2012
24 June 2009
The Washington Post

The cost of driving on the Dulles Toll Road is likely to double over the next three years to help fund Metrorail's $5 billion expansion in Northern Virginia, officials with the agency in charge of the road and the rail project announced yesterday.

Under the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority proposal, tolls would go up incrementally, starting in January. It costs 75 cents to drive through the main plaza and 50 cents to use one of the on- or offramps. The proposal, subject to approval by the authority's board of directors, would increase the main toll to $1.50 by 2012, and the ramp toll would rise to 75 cents.

Higher tolls have long been planned to help raise money for the 23-mile Silver Line connecting the East Falls Church Metro station with Dulles International Airport and Loudoun County. Construction on the eastern portion, through Tysons Corner and ending in Reston, has begun. That stretch is expected to be operational by 2013.

The project is receiving local, state and federal funding, including a $900 million grant from the Federal Transit Administration. But more than half of the cost is expected to be covered by toll road proceeds, essentially ensuring that the tolls will continue to climb beyond 2012.

"My concern is not if they raise the toll but how high they raise it," said Fairfax County Board of Supervisors member Pat S. Herrity (R-Springfield). "We don't want to strangle the Dulles corridor. We don't want employers not building around the toll road, and we certainly don't want employees avoiding the toll road because the tolls are too high."

Tolls on the eight-lane road connecting the Capital Beltway and the Dulles Greenway last went up in 2005. Since then, control of the road has shifted from the state to the airports authority, which is the governing body of Reagan National and Dulles International airports. That shift was intended, in part, to facilitate the link between toll collections and the Metro project because both are under the authority's purview. But some critics say the arrangement has given too much power to an unelected regional body.

Airports authority officials presented the toll plan to an advisory panel of state and local officials. Under the proposal, tolls at the main plaza and the ramps would increase by 25 cents next year; only the main plaza toll would rise thereafter, by a quarter in 2011 and another quarter in 2012.

The authority has planned a series of public hearings for this year, and its 13-member board of directors will vote on the matter in the fall. But with so much of the rail project dependent on toll revenue, it is not a question of whether the tolls will increase but whether the changes will take place incrementally or all at once.

The large burden on commuters has prompted some area officials to seek additional funding sources.

"I would hope that regionally we will press for more federal funding," said Scott K. York (I), chairman of the Loudoun County Board of Supervisors and a member of the advisory committee.

The authority's board of directors is expected to give tentative approval to a plan this summer, in part to prove to investors that the board is willing to take potentially unpopular steps to make sure the project is solvent. But some members of the advisory panel say they want to ensure that the authority is not seeking a higher toll rate than necessary.

"I think we should evaluate every year whether or not it is necessary to increase the tolls," said Fairfax Supervisors Chairman Sharon Bulova (D), who sits on the panel.

Old April 21st, 2010, 10:58 AM   #31
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

WASHINGTON-BALTIMORE | Public Transport

I thought i start a thread on the US's Second Largest & Busiest system after NYC (much cleaner). The DC Metro currently has 2 lines UC , one Metro line (Silver line) & 1 Streetcar line. Baltimore has 3 lines , and is smaller then DC. But has alot planned for the future. Both Cities systems will merge into one by 2025 , with all the Extensions.

Current DC Metro System

2030 DC Metro Plan

DC Streetcar plan

Dulles Metro line (UC)

Baltimore Current system

Planned Red line

Baltimore 2030 plan

Ridership

DC Metro 801,400
Metro Bus 439,424
Baltimore Light Rail 34,700
Baltimore Metro 57,600

DC Metro

DC Metro
by nixter, on Flickr

Washington DC Metro: Silver Line Preview (1)
by Mega Anorak, on Flickr

Metro Bus

Metrobus
by durhamskywriter, on Flickr

DC Metrobus
by So Cal Metro, on Flickr

DC Streetcars (opening in 2011-12)

design scheme for dc streetcars
by sierraclub_metrodc, on Flickr

IMG_1075
by tracktwentynine, on Flickr

Baltimore LRT

Light Rail
by Fan-T, on Flickr

Baltimore light rail
by t55z, on Flickr

Baltimore Metro

Subway Under Johns Hopkins Hospital
by Maggie Neely, on Flickr

Baltimore Bus

Baltimore Bus

Baltimore Bus

~Corey
Visit the New Jersey Section

n20 liked this post

Last edited by Nexis; March 7th, 2015 at 07:53 AM. Reason: replaced hotlinked photos and dead links
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 02:28 PM   #32
Alargule
Res Uder et Siger

Likes (Received): 2093

Quote:
Is that an official plan, of just a fantasy?
Old April 21st, 2010, 02:48 PM   #33
tampasteve

Likes (Received): 258

Thanks for the section! I LOVE the DC Metro. I had the great fortune of being able to use it extensivly last October. It is incredibly easy to use, efficient, safe, and clean.

Also, do not forget the Capitol Subway that links the Capitol building to the office buildings and parking nearby. It is not generally open to non-Capitol employees/states people, but it is a nice little system. One can see it if you pre-arrange it with your representative. I have a pic from when I went in October, I will see if I can get it.

Steve
Old April 21st, 2010, 03:00 PM   #34
tampasteve

Likes (Received): 258

Map of system

Pics from Wikipedia:

Senate Subway car in newer line

Senate Subway car in older line

The House Subway uses older open top cars similar to the ones in the older Senate line. I have a pic but I will have to find it.
Old April 21st, 2010, 03:22 PM   #35
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alargule View Post
Most of it , accept the Purple line extensions are in Doubt...
Old April 21st, 2010, 04:15 PM   #36
Dan78

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alargule View Post
The Silver Line (to Dulles Airport) is in no danger of not being built, I live less than two miles from the construction area, and they look to be right on schedule for the first leg of the line (to Wiehle Avenue in the city of Reston) to be open by 2013.

I had heard that the Maryland State Gov't was pulling some tricks with the Purple Line to try to stall the construction (cash is tight for Maryland right now), but it looks as if it will be built after all. Public opinion by in large supports the line.

The Streetcar program is also moving forward despite opponents trying to kill it with every ridiculous argument possible. The tracks are already being laid in southeast D.C.

The Pink Line in that map is just the musing of the map author (Mr. Yonah Freemark) in this case, however, the separate Blue Line under M Street in downtown Washington HAS actually been taken under consideration. It's unlikely the "Pink Line" of the map would ever be built as it would require a bored tunnel under several jurisdictions of NIMBYs. It would, however, be great to have.

Here's another fantasy idea from "Tsarchitect":

Large image:
http://tsarchitect.nsflanagan.net/wp...ro-diagram.jpg

And a geographically accurate map of the same:

Large image:
http://tsarchitect.nsflanagan.net/wp.../metro-map.jpg

And from Wikipedia, an official redesigned metro map with thinner lines:

Dan78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 04:48 PM   #37
Nexis
Dark Wolf

In any event , DC certain has a extremely bright transit future...but they should focus on improving ridership and expanding there Regional Rail....which is pretty small. You could add at least 5 more lines and Electrify 2 more.
Old April 21st, 2010, 05:11 PM   #38
Emir Jacob
User

Likes (Received): 29

Great info.

Experimenta el mensaje Bíblico: el llamado al arrepentimiento, apartarse del pecado y encontrar la salvación que Dios ofrece a todos.
Emir Jacob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 05:53 PM   #39
Dan78

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
In any event , DC certain has a extremely bright transit future...but they should focus on improving ridership and expanding there Regional Rail....which is pretty small. You could add at least 5 more lines and Electrify 2 more.
Regional rail in D.C. isn't great, MARC is a bit better than VRE (which has long headways and very large "no service" gaps in the afternoon, and no service on weekends). Northern Fairfax County has no more railroad Rights of Way, these being converted to bike/walking trails through the "Rails to Trails" program 40 years ago. Hence, the emphasis there on Metro service (running through highway medians).

MARC also has no weekend service, or service on some holidays, but when VRE was being built Virginians were promised weekend service, which was later rescinded.

Also, there's no fare reciprocity between VRE and MARC and Metro. All have their own ticketing systems and fares. So, if I'm taking a VRE from Rolling Road (in Virginia) to L'Enfant Plaza downtown, and transfer to Metro to go to Foggy Bottom or Gallery Place/Chinatown, I have to buy and fund a Metro Card in addition to my daily VRE ticket. Something like London's Oyster Card would be great here, but that would require interagency cooperation, which seems to be in short supply

By the way, here's a map that was made by GreaterGreaterWashington and actually used by WMATA in a presentation a few years ago. It shows the "detached" Blue Line (largely running under M Street) without any of the more "imaginative" extensions.

Large image link:
http://images.greatergreaterwashingt...20303large.png

The dotted lines represent track but not route connections.

I see the second downtown trunk line as essential as running the Orange, Blue, and Silver trains all in the same tunnel will be problematic. The rush hour headways are already getting ridiculously close.
Dan78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 11:25 AM   #40
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan78 View Post
Regional rail in D.C. isn't great, MARC is a bit better than VRE (which has long headways and very large "no service" gaps in the afternoon, and no service on weekends). Northern Fairfax County has no more railroad Rights of Way, these being converted to bike/walking trails through the "Rails to Trails" program 40 years ago. Hence, the emphasis there on Metro service (running through highway medians).

MARC also has no weekend service, or service on some holidays, but when VRE was being built Virginians were promised weekend service, which was later rescinded.

Also, there's no fare reciprocity between VRE and MARC and Metro. All have their own ticketing systems and fares. So, if I'm taking a VRE from Rolling Road (in Virginia) to L'Enfant Plaza downtown, and transfer to Metro to go to Foggy Bottom or Gallery Place/Chinatown, I have to buy and fund a Metro Card in addition to my daily VRE ticket. Something like London's Oyster Card would be great here, but that would require interagency cooperation, which seems to be in short supply

By the way, here's a map that was made by GreaterGreaterWashington and actually used by WMATA in a presentation a few years ago. It shows the "detached" Blue Line (largely running under M Street) without any of the more "imaginative" extensions.

Large image link:
http://images.greatergreaterwashingt...20303large.png

The dotted lines represent track but not route connections.

I see the second downtown trunk line as essential as running the Orange, Blue, and Silver trains all in the same tunnel will be problematic. The rush hour headways are already getting ridiculously close.
They Need to extend MARC Service to Fredrick form Baltimore and to Newark,DE. DC to Annapolis via MARC express bus. As for VRE , they need to extend that to Richmond and Electrify it. Hows the Streetcar scandal , did they pass a bill allowing Catenary wires?

Tags
baltimore, public transit, washington