daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 6th, 2014, 05:09 PM   #381
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 593

Have you ever been to baltimore?

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 6th, 2014, 05:34 PM   #382
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17045

Visit the New Jersey Section

dimlys1994 liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2014, 09:23 PM   #383
CollegeBoy
Bad Moon Rising

Likes (Received): 139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Dude View Post
Have you ever been to baltimore?
Me? I went to college in Baltimore for 3 years before I transferred.

DJ Technotik - Soundcloud

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
CollegeBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2014, 12:15 AM   #384
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 805

Honestly, I think the red line is CRUCIAL for Baltimore, considering that virtually no subway/LRT options run east/west.

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. Itís where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016

CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2014, 01:17 AM   #385
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5797

Cross-town in Balto would be the "Quick Bus" although it's probably anything but quick.

Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2014, 01:23 AM   #386
CNB30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
Cross-town in Balto would be the "Quick Bus" although it's probably anything but quick.
That's just depressing.

A developed country is not a place where the poor have cars. Itís where the rich use public transportation

Feel The Bern #2016

Old November 7th, 2014, 04:44 PM   #387
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3717

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminh View Post
What is it with Republicans/conservatives and public transportation? Basically, if you happen to prefer using anything but your car (or a plane), you're somewhat un-American it seems. I don't get it. Yes, some projects are not worth pursuing and many have been facing serious delays and cost overruns. But don't they understand that infrastructure investments are one of the keys to economic growth/development? What is the rationale of opposing a light rail line making commuters lives easier in one of the most economically advanced areas of the country? This we-should-spend-the-money-on-roads-instead argument is driving me nuts. We have been spending too high a percentage of infrastructure money on roads and not enough on public transportation for decades. People who doubt the positive effects of the latter should take a look at the Washington, DC metro area for example where unprecedented economic development has taken place in multiple places where a Metro station was built. Just compare today's U Street, Columbia Heights, NoMa, Navy Yard, Tysons, etc. areas with how they looked like 10-15 years ago. Other countries have been understanding this for decades now. Why is it so difficult here?
As usual Republican ideology triumphs reasoning and logic.
Old November 8th, 2014, 02:26 AM   #388
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeBoy View Post
The rationale is funding and the realities of cost overruns.

I'm a Republican and I support investing in our infrastructure. But when you look at projects like the Purple Line or the Red Line in Baltimore, the money could be better spent upgrading the roads, which haven't really been touched in the state for a LONG time. You can't just sit and say that public transport will be the savior because there are some places where it won't work and other places where ROW costs, NIMBYs and environmental issues will kill any chance of it getting built.

So much more goes into the opposition of supporting these projects than just knee-jerk reactions and/or warped views about public transportation.
Any reason why governments can't do both? Regardless I am pretty sure NIMBY's and neighborhood interests are much more likely to support a light rail line over a massive freeway expansion (ie the Katy Freeway or US 290 in Houston where they had to demolish whole neighborhoods to accommodate the freeway widening) since it is less disruptive and requires less space. Besides even relatively moderate and conservative metros such as Salt Lake City and Dallas have seen value in investing and expanding their public transit network.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2014, 08:50 AM   #389
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3717

One thing I noticed about Baltimore metropolitan area is anti-transit feelings of the locals. It's stronger compared to DC or other major cities in the Northeast/I-95 corridor, which I think is shaped by the mediocre mass transit of the region, racism, fear of crime, and anti-public transportation mentality that is common in the US. People in Baltimore/Washington subforum and other places are complaining about high costs of "bus on rail" for the planned Red Line, even though most of it is grade-separated.

LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2014, 12:03 PM   #390
eastadl

Likes (Received): 346

Quote:
The rationale is funding and the realities of cost overruns.

I'm a Republican and I support investing in our infrastructure. But when you look at projects like the Purple Line or the Red Line in Baltimore, the money could be better spent upgrading the roads, which haven't really been touched in the state for a LONG time. You can't just sit and say that public transport will be the savior because there are some places where it won't work and other places where ROW costs, NIMBYs and environmental issues will kill any chance of it getting built.

So much more goes into the opposition of supporting these projects than just knee-jerk reactions and/or warped views about public transportation.
Excuse my ignorance as an Australian, but being a republican do you like have a pick up truck and lots of guns, and drive to the mall and stuff?

eastadl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2014, 04:23 PM   #391
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

It has been my observation that mass transit funding is a political issue only in areas that are politically competitive. If control of the government of a given area has potential to swing to either party, the candidates will line up along stereotypical partisan lines with Democrats supporting increased mass transit funding and Republicans opposing. If the Republican party is solidly in control, they are more likely to support increased mass transit funding. Dallas, Houston, Salt Lake City, Phoenix, and Charlotte are examples of areas that are building light rail systems despite being in states that are strongly Republican. The Republican hold on the governorships in New Jersey and Florida is tenuous, and the Republican governors of those states have killed major rail transit projects.

greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2014, 08:43 PM   #392
CollegeBoy
Bad Moon Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastadl View Post
Excuse my ignorance as an Australian, but being a republican do you like have a pick up truck and lots of guns, and drive to the mall and stuff?
I own a sedan, I plan on getting a gun and I have to drive to the mall because it's across town.

Old November 10th, 2014, 10:54 PM   #393
CNB30

Quote:
I own a sedan, I plan on getting a gun and I have to drive to the mall because it's across town.
just wondering, but are you more of the fiscal conservative type, or social conservative?

Feel The Bern #2016

Old November 11th, 2014, 12:47 AM   #394
redspork02

Likes (Received): 818

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastadl View Post
Im a Repub. Im Latino... i'm 30 yrs of age and live in CA. I own a sedan. Pro transit in LA. Own no guns and I could care less what the LGBT community does in the bedroom. So..., no....we are not all stereotypes. lol

IT'S TIME FOR DODGER BASEBALL!!

Tower Dude, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
redspork02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2014, 01:47 AM   #395
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

As a counterpoint, I'm a Democrat, but I own a truck and a car, and my wife owns an SUV. I've been dependent on mass transit during other periods of my life, but I presently commute to work by car. I support building metros, monorails, and light rail lines that operate in dedicated right of ways, but I'm dubious about streetcars that operate in lanes shared with other traffic.

greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2014, 02:10 AM   #396
CollegeBoy
Bad Moon Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNB30 View Post
just wondering, but are you more of the fiscal conservative type, or social conservative?
Fiscally Conservative. I consider myself to be moderate on social issues.

Old November 11th, 2014, 02:49 AM   #397
CNB30

Quote:
Fiscally Conservative. I consider myself to be moderate on social issues.
Ok, just curious. I know that fiscal conservatives are alot more doubtful about transit/rail than let's say social conservatives.

Feel The Bern #2016

Last edited by CNB30; January 2nd, 2015 at 07:04 PM.
Old November 25th, 2014, 12:07 AM   #398
benjaminh

Likes (Received): 55

7000 series cars were doing test runs on the Red Line today (without passengers of course). Looking sharp! Link to picture: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/ I apologize for the picture quality; not the best phone camera.

Also: Red line was single-tracking because of a malfunctioning train at Union Station about 15 minutes after I saw the test train at Dupont Circle heading in that direction. I really hope this was unrelated. I want these new cars in service as soon as possible.

Last edited by benjaminh; November 25th, 2014 at 12:20 AM.
benjaminh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2014, 05:06 PM   #399
CollegeBoy
Bad Moon Rising

Love the new Metro cars. They can't come soon enough!

redspork02, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old November 26th, 2014, 04:32 PM   #400
benjaminh

Likes (Received): 55

More test runs on the Red Line last night. This time as a full eight car train (was only four cars on Monday).

I can't wait for the 1000 series death traps to be scrapped. I has been more than four years since the NTSB report on the Red Line crash declaring them structurally unsound.

As far as I know, Metro still has to secure ~$600 million for 220 cars that would bring the total to 748. That needs to be done asap.

benjaminh no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
baltimore, public transit, washington