daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 7th, 2015, 07:31 AM   #421
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 593

Does any one else think that MARC not buy new electric Locos or even DM Locos weird?

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 7th, 2015, 07:40 AM   #422
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17043

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Dude View Post
Does any one else think that MARC not buy new electric Locos or even DM Locos weird?
Amtrak charges a lot for their Electricity so it was cheaper to go Diesel.
Visit the New Jersey Section

Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2015, 07:54 AM   #423
Tower Dude

Of course that was the reason

- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)

Old March 7th, 2015, 09:48 AM   #424
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by fptquangngai View Post
Follow me,
I have a feeling if Ehrlich wins the governor's race, then the red line and purple line will either be put on hold while he is in office or be replaced with half-assed BRT service.

I do think that BRT could serve as a decent substitute for the red line though. The #40 quick bus gets downtown in 20 mins from the end of route 70. Not bad.
That was 5 years ago , he lost and a democrat won and now we have a republican in office again.

Old March 7th, 2015, 10:45 AM   #425
Nexis
Dark Wolf

DC Streetcar is still in testing

WASHINGTON--101 at H Street/9th Street NE OB
by milantram, on Flickr

dimlys1994, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old March 7th, 2015, 03:41 PM   #426
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Charles light rail project needs $20M for planning stage

Initiative could present cheaper transit option for state funding

Wednesday, March 04, 2015
by Jeff Newman Staff writer
With Maryland facing yet another fiscal crunch and Gov. Larry Hogan weighing whether to fund the Purple Line and Red Line projects, Charles County’s light rail initiative represents a cheaper option for funding mass transit, project officials told the county commissioners last week.

The light rail project is midway through a $5 million transit study, which the state funded following passage of the 2013 gas tax increase, and next requires $20 million in order to begin project planning, said the county’s Chief of Resource and Infrastructure Management Jason Groth and Gary V. Hodge, a former county commissioner.
Read more at http://www.somdnews.com/article/2015...uthernMaryland

Last edited by Nexis; March 25th, 2015 at 08:38 PM.
Old March 7th, 2015, 03:49 PM   #427
cdmoore125

Likes (Received): 137

Quote:
Of course that was the reason
I was initially very surprised, but I've heard a few things that changed my mind. I work on electric accounts for a large commuter rail company in a big city, and I asked that question since they have electric and diesel. To my surprise, electric actually costs more to run, and this is an area with much cheaper power than the Mid-Atlantic.

Power to Amtrak is very expensive, yes, but much of this is due to the weird system they run, that requires expensive frequency converters everywhere. They run single phase, 25hz while the grid id 3 phase, 60 hz. Many wikipedia pages can help.

Also, I've seen references that the HHPs are prone to breaking down. Catenary is also an issue.

cdmoore125 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2015, 05:53 PM   #428
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmoore125 View Post
I was initially very surprised, but I've heard a few things that changed my mind. I work on electric accounts for a large commuter rail company in a big city, and I asked that question since they have electric and diesel. To my surprise, electric actually costs more to run, and this is an area with much cheaper power than the Mid-Atlantic.

Power to Amtrak is very expensive, yes, but much of this is due to the weird system they run, that requires expensive frequency converters everywhere. They run single phase, 25hz while the grid id 3 phase, 60 hz. Many wikipedia pages can help.

Also, I've seen references that the HHPs are prone to breaking down. Catenary is also an issue.
Which begs the question just what additions/changes they're making on the NJ (I think Newark-Trenton) portion of the NEC...some of the notices I've seen indicate that beyond track and signals work, they're also upgrading a lot of the power infrastructure as well.

I can assume a lot of that is improving the catenary, which is pretty bad in many places, but other than that, I've not been able to guess what kinds of improvements could (or need) to be made to the substations and other equipment.

Any insights?

phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2015, 11:06 PM   #429
Tower Dude

Why is electric more expensive to run? Is it the maintenance costs or is it the cost of how much electricity is being generated

Old March 8th, 2015, 03:13 AM   #430
cdmoore125

Quote:
Why is electric more expensive to run? Is it the maintenance costs or is it the cost of how much electricity is being generated
Maintenance costs is how it was communicated to me. But there was some feeling on fuel costs (diesel vs. electricity) which I didn't agree with at the time. Now though, I absolutely expect diesel to be cheaper to run.

cdmoore125 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2015, 03:23 AM   #431
cdmoore125

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixboi08 View Post
Which begs the question just what additions/changes they're making on the NJ (I think Newark-Trenton) portion of the NEC...some of the notices I've seen indicate that beyond track and signals work, they're also upgrading a lot of the power infrastructure as well.

I can assume a lot of that is improving the catenary, which is pretty bad in many places, but other than that, I've not been able to guess what kinds of improvements could (or need) to be made to the substations and other equipment.

Any insights?
I don't have the insight into the NJ system as well, but I think the system north of NYC was upgraded to 60Hz a few years ago. I wonder if there is hope for that. The problem is, many of the frequency converters are either owned by Amtrak or a power company and then amortized over a long contract. So they are sort of in the situation of needing both, but they can't do both at the same time.

The MD system is in need of special upgrades - they get 25hz power delivered to a substation in Perryville, which you will see lines that are a bit different in setup, come from up the Susquehanna at one of the dams. They also need blackstart capabilities when electric as well, or you can imagine what may happen if there is a big power outage somewhere.

Again, I don't know the details in NJ, but I'd love if they were upgrading it to 60Hz, like they did North of NYC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northea...lectrification

That is the next stretch south from NYC, and the next north from the original Penn Railroad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsyl...lectrification

And here is a great page on the system

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amtrak's_25_Hz_traction_power_system
Old March 8th, 2015, 04:49 AM   #432
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmoore125 View Post
I don't have the insight into the NJ system as well, but I think the system north of NYC was upgraded to 60Hz a few years ago. I wonder if there is hope for that. The problem is, many of the frequency converters are either owned by Amtrak or a power company and then amortized over a long contract. So they are sort of in the situation of needing both, but they can't do both at the same time.

The MD system is in need of special upgrades - they get 25hz power delivered to a substation in Perryville, which you will see lines that are a bit different in setup, come from up the Susquehanna at one of the dams. They also need blackstart capabilities when electric as well, or you can imagine what may happen if there is a big power outage somewhere.

Again, I don't know the details in NJ, but I'd love if they were upgrading it to 60Hz, like they did North of NYC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northea...lectrification

That is the next stretch south from NYC, and the next north from the original Penn Railroad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsyl...lectrification

And here is a great page on the system

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amtrak's_25_Hz_traction_power_system
New Jersey Transit switched its Morris&Essex network from 12.5 kV to 25 kV 60 Hz in 1983. And between 1988 and 2002 the Coast line was upgraded and overhauled up to 25 kV 60 Hz. The higher speed section of track between New Brunswick and Morrisville is being bumped up to 25 kV 60 Hz. They built a few new substations , and eventually they would like the entire NJ system to be 25 kV 60 Hz.
Old March 8th, 2015, 09:40 PM   #433
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Double Header! No. 11 (MP36PH-3C) and No. 73 (GP39)
In rapidly failing light, the last commuter train of the day (P883 7:25pm Union to Martinsburg, WV) pulls away from Gaithersburg with more than enough horsepower for the job at hand.

by wheniwas14, on Flickr
Old March 16th, 2015, 04:01 PM   #434
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Some old NEC photos from Baltimore

PRR md177
by barrigerlibrary, on Flickr

PRR md176

PRR md170

PRR md169

PRR md168

PRR md167

PRR md166

PRR md163

PRR md162
Old March 17th, 2015, 06:49 PM   #435
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
In rapidly failing light, the last commuter train of the day (P883 7:25pm Union to Martinsburg, WV) pulls away from Gaithersburg with more than enough horsepower for the job at hand.
I've enjoyed watching quite a few Marc videos and I noticed that being overpowered tends to be a common theme. In this case, the first locomotive can pull a 10 bilevel car train on it's own. Yet there are two locos for just 5 cars. They often seem to use double loco consists.

"Nouvellecosse, by Calvin Klein. Take on the world!"

- MysticMcGoo

Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2015, 07:54 PM   #436
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I've enjoyed watching quite a few Marc videos and I noticed that being overpowered tends to be a common theme. In this case, the first locomotive can pull a 10 bilevel car train on it's own. Yet there are two locos for just 5 cars. They often seem to use double loco consists.
The second locomotive is often hitching a ride back to a yard or maintenance facility somewhere along the line or its in testing as with the newer locomotives.

Old March 17th, 2015, 09:38 PM   #437
Nouvellecosse
~ Mysterious Entity ~

Likes (Received): 313

If it's just being brought back to the yard does that mean that only one locomotive is running and the other one is just being pulled?

"Nouvellecosse, by Calvin Klein. Take on the world!"

- MysticMcGoo

Nouvellecosse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2015, 12:04 AM   #438
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
If it's just being brought back to the yard does that mean that only one locomotive is running and the other one is just being pulled?
There both in use...

Old March 20th, 2015, 08:35 PM   #439
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26148

From Washington Post:

Quote:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...f69_story.html

Labor woes hit D.C. streetcar project
March 19, 2014 7:38 PM

The District’s troubled streetcar program, already facing big questions about its future, has now spawned an ugly labor dispute, with union claims that workers were fired for trying to organize and counterclaims that onboard cameras caught streetcar staff violating safety rules by using cellphones.

The Amalgamated Transit Union Local 689 — which represents Metro workers and was seeking to hold an election this month to unionize private streetcar workers — has filed a complaint with the National Labor Relations Board alleging that the District’s streetcar contractors “conducted a mass termination of a substantial portion of the eligible voters in retaliation for their efforts to organize and be represented by Local 689”

dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2015, 07:29 AM   #440
Nexis
Dark Wolf

dimlys1994, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Tags
baltimore, public transit, washington