daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 7th, 2010, 09:52 PM   #61
Teh_Mascot

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
It would be interesting if this ever came true , although i do believe the bulk of it will.

this would be brilliant!

I live within a 20 minute walk to the Vienna Station on the orange line.

My GF works in DC and most days (usually weather related) has to take a bus from our condo, to the metro to get to work. Her mother lives in Richmond, so whenever she has to go visit, she has to get on the bus, go to the metro, metro into Union station, walk 8 blocks to the greyhound station, then sit on a stank bus for 2 hours in crippling traffic.

If she could just get on the metro, and then transfer to a commuter rail line to get to RVA, it would just make things as efficient as NYC (referring to MTA->LIRR/Metro-North/etc. )

Oh and the purple line that goes completely around the beltway would be a freaking godsend as well. I do alot of driving for my job and the traffic in this area is an absolute nightmare at just about any time of day... I refused to pay LESS rent because it meant that I would have to spend time on 66, 495 AND I-95.

Now I pay an exorbitant amount of rent for a 1br. condo simply because it's within "walking distance" to a metro station.
Teh_Mascot no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 14th, 2010, 06:54 AM   #62
Orange Crush

The "Inner Blue Line" is an idea I think is very much worth pursuing by Metro and the District. I haven't commuted in DC in a number of years, but the Red Line was almost always a nightmare in the mornings and having another line in the station to take some of the volume would be a great addition to the system.

Also, they ought to build an express third track that would give Union Station-bound trains a limited stop configuration.

---

As far as MARC goes, I used to say I wasn't going to hold my breath on any extension into Delaware, but with Northeastern Maryland and DE starting to grow (Route 40 has changed significantly from how I remember it being, just 10-15 years ago), the idea may catch steam again one day.

Where Maryland really needs to focus its commuter rail efforts, though is on are first, the expansion of BWI Rail Station to something more resembling EWR Rail Station (along with the new track down to I think Seabrook or Odenton?) and weekend service.

The B&P Tunnel needs something to happen to it. Not sure what it will be, if anything. MTA's 2002 plan has a new tunnel built that would accomodate a MARC station at Upton Metro station. But other plans, including the recent UPenn HSR plan, has a new station being built at Charles Center and that might be worth investigating by MTA, since they're talking about running the Red Line at least near there.

---

As far as Baltimore goes, I don't know what the Red Line will end up looking like. Lots of opposition to the line on both ends.

I think it's poorly designed at current and needs to connect directly to Charles Center (maybe Lexington Market), should connect to MARC in East Baltimore somewhere, and should be used for new development in the "Highway to Nowhere" ditch.

They should also try to figure out how to connect the current Green Line to the NEC as well. Hopkins Hospital is a horrible terminus for that line.

As far as the current line(s), I remember an idea being floated a while back to demolish the viaduct portions of the JFK from Pratt Street northward a short distance. If they decide to go along with this idea, they could run trains from Penn Station to Inner Harbor East/Little Italy.
Orange Crush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2010, 12:45 PM   #63
TheKorean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

MARC to Wilmington? Isnt that too far to commute?
TheKorean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2010, 07:38 AM   #64
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKorean View Post
Joe Biden did it. :P
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2010, 07:53 AM   #65
Orange Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKorean View Post
Not if you live in Aberdeen or Elkton.

But I expect there to be flow as much towards Aberdeen from say, Newark or Wilmington, as much as flow towards DE. BRAC jobs will be in MD, but income taxes are lower in DE, IIRC, so I imagine there would be people who would rather live in DE and commute into MD.
Orange Crush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2010, 10:49 PM   #66
NvkR

Likes (Received): 3

WOW streetcars for DC! Thats awsome!! How many lines are going to open? And when?
NvkR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2010, 03:45 PM   #67
Dan78

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvkR View Post
WOW streetcars for DC! Thats awsome!! How many lines are going to open? And when?
There will be 8 lines, the first opening late 2012 with the whole network to be completed around 2020. <sarc>In American terms this means 2030 or 2040.</sarc>

There's also a push to add a 9th line along Wisconsin Avenue to bring streetcar service further into Northwest DC.

Washington Promotes Massive New Streetcar Project

The Full DC Streetcar Routes Explained

Washington Comes Closer to Bridging the Gap with its New Streetcar Network
Dan78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2010, 07:24 PM   #68
geoking66

Likes (Received): 7321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan78 View Post
There will be 8 lines, the first opening late 2012 with the whole network to be completed around 2020. <sarc>In American terms this means 2030 or 2040.</sarc>

There's also a push to add a 9th line along Wisconsin Avenue to bring streetcar service further into Northwest DC.

Washington Promotes Massive New Streetcar Project

The Full DC Streetcar Routes Explained

Washington Comes Closer to Bridging the Gap with its New Streetcar Network
The Wisconsin Line seems to have a lot of popular support (really just apart from NIMBYs). H, Georgia, and Adams Morgan are probably DDOT's highest priority lines. Not sure what ever happened to Anacostia; does it take this long for two miles of track?
Old August 17th, 2010, 03:07 PM   #69
Dan78

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
The Wisconsin Line seems to have a lot of popular support (really just apart from NIMBYs). H, Georgia, and Adams Morgan are probably DDOT's highest priority lines. Not sure what ever happened to Anacostia; does it take this long for two miles of track?
I've never heard a decent reason as to why its opening has been continually pushed back. I'd chalk it up to typical North American fecklessness when it comes to implementing rail. And, this is D.C. after all.

Last edited by Dan78; August 17th, 2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old August 17th, 2010, 09:09 PM   #70
Mirage52

Likes (Received): 168

Being from Baltimore, and living west of the city in Frederick County, I can't wait for the Red Line to be built, as I would only need to drive to the end of Rt 70 in Woodlawn to catch the train downtown for Orioles and Ravens games as well as other city events. It allows me to stay off 695 which can be trouble at pretty much any time of the day.

As for a DC-Baltimore connector, I am intrigued by the Maglev train proposal. I am pretty shocked that these cities haven't been better connected by mass transit being only 40 miles apart.
Mirage52 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2010, 03:51 PM   #71
Dan78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage52 View Post
Being from Baltimore, and living west of the city in Frederick County, I can't wait for the Red Line to be built, as I would only need to drive to the end of Rt 70 in Woodlawn to catch the train downtown for Orioles and Ravens games as well as other city events. It allows me to stay off 695 which can be trouble at pretty much any time of the day.

As for a DC-Baltimore connector, I am intrigued by the Maglev train proposal. I am pretty shocked that these cities haven't been better connected by mass transit being only 40 miles apart.
It's a bit disappointing they went with light rail for the Red Line instead of heavy rail, though I guess we should be lucky it will be built at all. I don't see the reason to move to another rail technology system when the city already has heavy rail and stock on the Green Line. The expected number of Red Line users would warrant heavy rail.

A high-speed rail connection between Washington and Baltimore would be great. I'd visit Baltimore a lot more if I could just zip up there in 30 minutes. I'm not sure how I feel about Maglev as a technology, though.
Old August 18th, 2010, 04:36 PM   #72
Mirage52

Quote:
It's a bit disappointing they went with light rail for the Red Line instead of heavy rail, though I guess we should be lucky it will be built at all. I don't see the reason to move to another rail technology system when the city already has heavy rail and stock on the Green Line. The expected number of Red Line users would warrant heavy rail.

A high-speed rail connection between Washington and Baltimore would be great. I'd visit Baltimore a lot more if I could just zip up there in 30 minutes. I'm not sure how I feel about Maglev as a technology, though.
Maglev does seem like an unlikely choice for a DC/Baltimore connector. I also wonder if it would just be too expensive to install, since it can't use any existing rail lines.

As for the Red Line, I agree. It should be heavy-rail, but Baltimore likes to take the easiest and cheap way out of things. They are now talking about single-tracking parts of the red line to get it built quicker. And if Ehrlich wins the governor's seat this fall, the red line could be scrapped all together and a BRT system put in its place. Same thing with the purple line in southern MD.

As for the green line, I can't believe it has never been expanded eastward in over almost 30 years....the east side of Baltimore city and county have no rail-based transit to get downtown. I believe it should extend to White Marsh as it does for Owings Mills on the west side.

In Baltimore, the motto for mass transit should be: "be thankful for what you get".
Old August 18th, 2010, 08:35 PM   #73
ImBoredNow
I have no life : (

Likes (Received): 192

Maglev is too expensive to be implemented in the near future(for the next 25 years). I would not think it would be an option. I'd say a high speed rail line connecting not just Baltimore with DC but One that connects the three Airports (Dulles, Reagan, BWI) should be thought of.
And the red line better go all the way to Germantown! Hopefully it will lighten the traffic from on 270. But the real traffic problem is From Frederick city to Germantown. They were initially proposing an extended metro there but due to our Topography it wouldn't be possible.
PS, I live in Frederick too.

Last edited by ImBoredNow; August 18th, 2010 at 08:42 PM.
ImBoredNow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2010, 09:26 PM   #74
Mirage52

Interesting, I am in Frederick County, too. I put down Baltimore since that is the city I was raised in.

I also think that a contingency of Frederick natives would hate to see the metro come all the way to Frederick.
Old August 18th, 2010, 09:40 PM   #75
ImBoredNow
I have no life : (

Likes (Received): 192

I'd have to agree with that. But it's not going to be possible so why bother about it anyways?
ImBoredNow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2010, 09:19 PM   #76
Mirage52

The Governor election is going to play a big part in the future of mass transit in Baltimore, and Maryland, in general...

http://wjz.com/local/transportation....2.1865082.html

Quote:
BALTIMORE (WJZ) ―

Governor Martin O'Malley says Maryland has to "dial up mass transit." His opponent, Bob Ehrlich, says there needs to be a better mix of road and mass transit projects and has been sharply critical of problems on MARC trains.

Mike Hellgren takes a closer look at transportation and why it's creating a politically charged controversy.

At the center of the debate: how to best spend your tax dollars--billions of them--and whether they'll be spent in the D.C. suburbs or in Baltimore.

Both incumbent Democratic Governor Martin O'Malley and his Republican challenger Bob Ehrlich have traded barbs over transportation that started with the massive MARC mess when heat-related equipment failures left angry riders stranded for hours.

The two clashed again after O'Malley stated that there's no more room for new roads as he pushed for mass transit, including the purple line connecting Bethesda and New Carrollton and the red line through Baltimore.

Ehrlich wants to scrap both the red and purple lines. Combined, they cost $3 billion.

"My chosen route with regard to both is Rapid Bus," Ehrlich said.

He says the cash that saves would go to better use fixing the troubled MARC and D.C. metro systems.

"I would rather tell people straight up, this is what we can afford. This is what is unaffordable. This is what we can do in the short term," Ehrlich said.

Construction is underway now on the massive Intercounty Connector [highway] project, championed by both O'Malley and Ehrlich.

Another very expensive project under discussion is the expansion of Interstate 270.

"I'm more for roads because I don't use public transit. I never have," said Shirley Summers.

"It seems as though the infrastructure is built for the rich and the upper middle class without considering the majority of people who ride buses and trains, who deserve to have those run safely and on time," said Edward Schrader.

An open question is whether Maryland would raise the gas tax to pay for these expensive projects. O'Malley has not said whether he would or not; Ehrlich says he has no plans to do so but didn't say no definitively.

Both O'Malley and Ehrlich have raised more than $3 million each for their campaigns, but O'Malley has more cash on hand. Their campaign finance reports are due by midnight.
Old August 19th, 2010, 09:52 PM   #77
Dan78

Without getting into politics, I wish that public transportation as an issue were de-politicized in the U.S. It's annoying to finally get plans finalized only to have them scuttled as a result of an election.

Substituting BRT would be a mistake, assuming it's even real BRT and not just an old diesel bus with a new paint job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage52 View Post
The Governor election is going to play a big part in the future of mass transit in Baltimore, and Maryland, in general...

http://wjz.com/local/transportation....2.1865082.html
Old August 19th, 2010, 10:29 PM   #78
Mirage52

Quote:
Without getting into politics, I wish that public transportation as an issue were de-politicized in the U.S. It's annoying to finally get plans finalized only to have them scuttled as a result of an election.

Substituting BRT would be a mistake, assuming it's even real BRT and not just an old diesel bus with a new paint job.
The "QuickBus" routes Baltimore currently has are pretty much BRT right now, and they were done under Ehrlich's previous time as governor. They stop at transfer points and major stops along the route. I rode it for the first time last month and it did its job OK. The sign at the end of rt 70 teasing the Red Line said "downtown in 19 mins". The QB got me downtown in 25 mins -- in rush hour and heavy rain. I'd still much rather have the Red Line, but a "real" BRT wouldn't be a total disaster. Like I said earlier, here in Baltimore we have to take what's given to us and be thankful for it. The alternative is nothing -- and that alternative is always a very big possibility.
Old August 20th, 2010, 10:26 PM   #79
Liam0711
Birdland Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 1

In a perfect world, politics wouldn't get in the way of transportation priorities...unfortunately, we don't live in a perfect world. People need to wake up and realize that if Bob Ehrlich is elected, the Red Line can pretty much be declared dead. The purple line too. Just today Ehrlich went on the record saying he would restore millions of dollars towards road reconstruction rather than mass transit...I mean his father was a car dealer...does anyone seriously think this guy has any idea what to do in terms of mass transit??? Transportation is a huge issue that effects everything ranging from jobs to the environment which is why there's no doubt in my mind that this coming fall I will be voting O'Malley.
Old August 20th, 2010, 10:40 PM   #80
Dan78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam0711 View Post
In a perfect world, politics wouldn't get in the way of transportation priorities...unfortunately, we don't live in a perfect world. People need to wake up and realize that if Bob Ehrlich is elected, the Red Line can pretty much be declared dead.
Ehrlich's made noises about public transit not paying its own way through fare collection alone...how does that compare to the Inter-County Connector (highway) he wants to build? Good thing for him that intellectual inconsistency isn't painful.

One of the reason's I'm a big rail proponent over bus is that rail projects, once started, are far less easy to out-and-out cancel than bus routes. They're more immune to shifting political winds. Effective transit require long-term consistent planning which is one reason it generally sucks in the U.S.; we have one faction that tepidly supports it and one that generally works to kill it off, or at least minimize its funding (and therefore its effectiveness).

Tags
baltimore, public transit, washington