daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 20th, 2010, 10:45 PM   #81
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3711

I don't think the construction of the ICC was a good idea IMO.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 20th, 2010, 10:53 PM   #82
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

What are his stanches on some other things? Crime , taxes , schools i heard he was unpopular governor before.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2010, 01:14 AM   #83
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19268

Does anyone have any pictures and updates about construction of extension to the Dulles airport?
geogregor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2010, 05:43 AM   #84
Orange Crush

Likes (Received): 0

I, too, would prefer heavy rail for the Red Line and they would run it first from West Baltimore MARC to Charles Center, then up Charles Street, through the village, to JHU, to start. I can dream.

As far as Maglev, I doubt it'll be built anytime in the next 25-50 years, but UPenn just put out a new High Speed Rail vision document. It prescribes using most of the current NEC between Baltimore and DC, except it bypasses the B&P Tunnel and Penn Station, in favor of a Downtown station at Charles Center. They're not the first to recommend an underground intercitiy/commuter rail station there, so there might be something to the idea.

I think expanding BWI Rail Station with a couple of island platforms, adding the extra 1 or 2 tracks from there down to New Carrollton, and skipping the B&P would vastly improve speeds.

O'Malley already wants to study expanding BWI Rail, so at least if he's reelected, there might be some traction on that project.
Orange Crush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 06:07 AM   #85
Professor L Gee
Fan of skylines, highways

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by LtBk View Post
I don't think the construction of the ICC was a good idea IMO.
As much as traversing Montgomery County E/W is a pain, I think that the project is not without its benefits. I just hope the tolls don't render the road largely unused like the Dulles Greenway.
Professor L Gee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 05:09 PM   #86
Mirage52

Likes (Received): 168

I do understand Ehrlich's hesitance to invest in two light rail lines at once, when there is apparently no money for either one and the MARC lines are in desperate needs of improvements. But he is still going to invest heavily in roads. If anything, the DC area needs less new roads and more comprehensive mass transit.

On a side note, I took the DC metro downtown last Friday and they've basically priced themselves out of the market. It cost me and my wife $16 to park and take the metro from Shady Grove to Metro Center. As soon as we stepped out of the station I saw a garage advertising parking for $13 a day. I am not a fan of driving and parking in DC, but in the future I am going to have to think long and hard about taking the metro again when I can just drive. Plus, the ride from SG to MC is a long 40 minutes.
Mirage52 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 05:13 PM   #87
ImBoredNow
I have no life : (

Likes (Received): 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor L Gee View Post
As much as traversing Montgomery County E/W is a pain, I think that the project is not without its benefits. I just hope the tolls don't render the road largely unused like the Dulles Greenway.
This is I-370 right? They're going to start toll in that?
ImBoredNow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 06:07 PM   #88
Professor L Gee
Fan of skylines, highways

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBoredNow View Post
This is I-370 right? They're going to start toll in that?
It starts at the east end of (still free) I-370. The ICC will be signed as MD 200.
Professor L Gee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 12:18 AM   #89
Mirage52

An opinion piece on Bob Ehrlich's insistence on BRT as a substitute for the planned light rail lines in Maryland.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/news.../post_126.html
Old August 25th, 2010, 12:37 AM   #90
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

Some states governors can't kill projects without a vote. Is Maryland one of those states?
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 02:02 AM   #91
TheKorean
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage52 View Post
I do understand Ehrlich's hesitance to invest in two light rail lines at once, when there is apparently no money for either one and the MARC lines are in desperate needs of improvements. But he is still going to invest heavily in roads. If anything, the DC area needs less new roads and more comprehensive mass transit.

On a side note, I took the DC metro downtown last Friday and they've basically priced themselves out of the market. It cost me and my wife $16 to park and take the metro from Shady Grove to Metro Center. As soon as we stepped out of the station I saw a garage advertising parking for $13 a day. I am not a fan of driving and parking in DC, but in the future I am going to have to think long and hard about taking the metro again when I can just drive. Plus, the ride from SG to MC is a long 40 minutes.
Just get a day pass.
TheKorean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 09:46 AM   #92
geoking66

Likes (Received): 7352

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage52 View Post

And driving on I-270 is any better? It's one of the most congested Interstates in the US.
Old August 25th, 2010, 04:50 PM   #93
Mirage52

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKorean
Just get a day pass.
Day passes are $9. That would be $18 for my wife and I, and I already have a SmarTrip card which is needed to pay for parking. Plus, without a SmarTrip card the fares are higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66
And driving on I-270 is any better? It's one of the most congested Interstates in the US.
We were driving down to DC on a Friday at 1 p.m., so the highways may not have been as bad as they would have been at 3-7 p.m. Besides, I don't mind taking the metro, but my wife isn't a fan and when she pointed the $13 garage out to me I just shook my head. Chances are we still would have been stuck in traffic on 270 or 495, though.

I just think that the cost to ride the DC metro during non-peak times is making it less attractive to people headed to DC.
Old August 30th, 2010, 08:47 PM   #94
Mirage52

So...I used the light rail to attend a Ravens game in Baltimore this past weekend and it has just further cemented my belief that the MTA just can't get a freaking clue how to work the LR for football games.

First off, I was running late. That may have been the biggest problem, but I still got to the Nursery Road LR station with 30 mins until kickoff. As I was parking, I saw a train arrive and pull away. However, a minute later, another train arrived, and I boarded, thinking I would still have plenty of time to get to the stadium in time. But since the two trains were so close, my train had to sit at each station for a few mins at a time to create space between the trains. All said and done, a trip that normally takes 15 mins took 25 mins. Whatever. So I arrived at the game a few minutes after it started. Not a big deal.

On the way home, I was running to the station as the 9:52 pm southbound train left the Camden Yards station. OK, bad luck, since I would not be writing this had I caught that train. However, the next train was schedule to arrive at 10:08 pm, but it never showed. So in the end, I waited 30 mins for the next train, which was the 10:23 pm train. And this was before the game had even ended. But, since it was a preseason game, more fans were leaving early, which created big crowds at both the Camden Yards station and the stadium station.

I have taken the LR several times, and the bad times unfortunately outweigh the good. MTA either doesn't understand the need for more trains during sporting events or just doesn't care. Had the 10:08 train arrived on time, it would have still been a long 15 min wait for a train during a major sporting event. But waiting a full 30 mins is ridiculous.

From now on, I will only take the LR when I am forced to. Until then, I will taking the #40 quickbus, which has 15 minute headways all day, and doesn't run through the crowded streets during sporting events.

Last edited by Mirage52; August 30th, 2010 at 10:43 PM.
Old August 30th, 2010, 09:43 PM   #95
manrush
Agenda 21 Advocate

Likes (Received): 499

One thing I've been wondering about DC: does it need any subway lines that primarily serve the city proper or will the new tram lines be taking care of that?
manrush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 10:13 PM   #96
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
I thought our stations must be the dingiest.....the escalator down to the lines at Snowdon was broken the other day,
so by the time we'd made it to the last flight of the long, parallel staircase, it became too tricky properly seeing the steps.

Last edited by trainrover; August 30th, 2010 at 10:18 PM.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 10:47 PM   #97
Mirage52

All underground DC metro stations look like that. They look like moon bases to me...
Old August 31st, 2010, 10:58 AM   #98
red_eagle_1982
frustrated architect

Likes (Received): 53

I think the DC Metro is one of the most beautiful in the world. It definitely needs updating and refurbishments, but no can deny that it is a beautifully designed system.
red_eagle_1982 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 04:08 PM   #99
yop3288

Has the DC Metro ever considered running skip-stop service? I think it could increase capacity and reduce trip times.

During the morning rush, picture each train stopping at only every second station on the inbound, then stopping at all stations on the outbound. If your destination is skipped by trains from your starting point, you have to go past your station, then transfer to a train running in the opposite direction.

Requiring passengers to transfer is a pain, but it should not be too big of an issue for most riders. During the morning rush, most riders are heading downtown. Downtown stations are very close together, so many people will choose to simply get off at an alternate station and walk an extra block or two instead of transferring. Also, many riders from the outer suburbs drive to their starting point, so they can drive to a different starting station to avoid having to transfer.

For the evening rush, you'd switch to skip-stop service for outbound, all-stop service for inbound.
yop3288 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 04:10 PM   #100
yop3288

Has the DC Metro ever considered running skip-stop service? I think it could increase capacity and reduce trip times.

During the morning rush, picture each train stopping at only every second station on the inbound, then stopping at all stations on the outbound. If your destination is skipped by trains from your starting point, you have to go past your station, then transfer to a train running in the opposite direction.

Requiring passengers to transfer is a pain, but it should not be too big of an issue for most riders. During the morning rush, most riders are heading downtown. Downtown stations are very close together, so many people will choose to simply get off at an alternate station and walk an extra block or two instead of transferring. Also, many riders from the outer suburbs drive to their starting point, so they can drive to a different starting station to avoid having to transfer.

For the evening rush, you'd switch to skip-stop service for outbound, all-stop service for inbound.
yop3288 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
baltimore, public transit, washington