daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 30th, 2010, 06:25 PM   #201
Blaskovitz

Likes (Received): 319

Expressway 3.5m, motorway 3.75m width
Blaskovitz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 30th, 2010, 06:34 PM   #202
MAG
Keep it simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Llama View Post
Blue on white is for inter-city destinations.
Intra-city destinations.
Or in plain language, white background is used to display local information, just like in most EU countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsko
What is the difference between motorways and expressways in Poland?
I suspect they are very similar to those used in any other country.

The most obvious differences to the average driver are:
- max allowed speed (typically 110 v 130 km/h)
- lane width (3.5 v 3.75 m) and hard-shoulder width
- signage colour and style (M=blue, S=green)

There are other differences relating to building specification and the environment in the immediate vicinity of the road.
Here you've got differences in:
- max road inclination
- min distance between junctions
- junction types (fully grade separated v partial and terminal roundabout)
- fencing (not to be confused with crash barriers)
- max length of a straight stretch
- limited v more open access to some road users
- number of carriageways. In the Polish spec, motorways must be at least 2x2 while expressways can be 1x2, though this is rare. Most expressways are 2x2, although there are (or soon will be) examples of even wider expressways.

Of course, I am oversimplifying the whole picture but at least you have a quick overview.

Drogowskaz Classic

Last edited by MAG; May 3rd, 2010 at 02:16 PM.
MAG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2010, 07:37 PM   #203
Norsko
Urban Citizen

Likes (Received): 6

Thanks!
Old April 30th, 2010, 07:55 PM   #204
Superkot634
Requiem for a dream

Likes (Received): 563

Polish roads are not bad, Thank you Pansori.
Old April 30th, 2010, 09:17 PM   #205
piotr71

Quote:
Pansori
24 hr Tesco. Too bad we were short of time to stop over, because I would love to see how Tescos look like in Poland... and it's my favorite supermarket anyway. I Wonder if they're better than in Britain (for some reason I believe they are)... once I was surprised how much better Tescos are in Thailand (cleaner, nicer staff, better shop layout etc. one would not believe it's run by the same company)
Well, I know both, original British and Polish clone. So, the most important for me is a difference in a range of products one can buy.
The supply of Polish Tesco's branches, in particular in fresh food, is beyond compare.

Btw. Thanks for the excellent pictures.
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2010, 10:17 PM   #206
Fuzzy Llama
Puszysty samiec lamy.

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG View Post
Intra-city destinations.
Oops, sorry...
Fuzzy Llama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2010, 10:26 PM   #207
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

a.k.a. subdivisions

These signs do not show destinations (you're already there), but subdivisions of a city, such as neighborhoods.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2010, 02:13 AM   #208
rpc08

Likes (Received): 1005

Amazing! One of those reportages which leaves us dreaming.

I only have a doubt:

- post 88 ends in photo 211
- post 98 begins in photo 141

Old May 1st, 2010, 10:22 AM   #209
delfin_pl
Expert

Likes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post

That's a good idea but I wonder how cost-effective it is? Anyway signs with LED indicators are a good idea. They really attract more attention from drivers.
Poland's road budget counts bilions euro each year, (only this year its about 11bln donation from EU, and most of this sum goes to infrastructure) so its not that much and increase of safety is visible in statistics. I was traveling from Poznań to Gdańsk recently (during night), and these blinking signs really make travelling safer and more comfortable, so yes I think it was worth to spend money for this system.

Last edited by delfin_pl; May 1st, 2010 at 10:50 AM.
delfin_pl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2010, 11:17 AM   #210
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpc08 View Post
Amazing! One of those reportages which leaves us dreaming.

I only have a doubt:

- post 88 ends in photo 211
- post 98 begins in photo 141

Good spot
It was my technical glitch. I guess I just mixed up the numbers in my txt file which I was using to prepare the whole thing. However all the photos go in a chronological order so despite the wrong numbers the pictures still go in the right order.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2010, 11:20 AM   #211
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by delfin_pl View Post
Poland's road budget counts bilions euro each year, (only this year its about 11bln donation from EU, and most of this sum goes to infrastructure) so its not that much and increase of safety is visible in statistics. I was traveling from Poznań to Gdańsk recently (during night), and these blinking signs really make travelling safer and more comfortable, so yes I think it was worth to spend money for this system.
I meant not the blinking signs but the solar panels used to generate electricity for them
I wonder which is cheaper overall: use electricity from the power grid or install solar panels. Generally solar power is still much more expensive than "traditional" ways of power generation.

As for the blinking signs, no doubt they improve safety and there cannot be queston about costs as long as they save lives and people's health.
Old May 1st, 2010, 03:25 PM   #212
CzarnyZajaczek

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
Generally solar power is still much more expensive than "traditional" ways of power generation.
yes, but sometimes installing kilometers of cable is much more expensive than installing solar panel - in that cases is used solar panel wich charges battery
Old May 1st, 2010, 03:49 PM   #213
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

I have made this picture in the UAE. As you can see, solar panels are used here.

Old May 2nd, 2010, 12:30 AM   #214
Pansori
planquadrat

Solar power in UAE is much cheaper than in Poland.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 04:58 AM   #215
smuthny

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by delfin_pl View Post
and there are no phone booths on expressways
But for what? There is 3G range in almost whole country (even if not, GPRS is doing well) so you can run skype or gg voice or google or whatever in your phone. it cost like 15 PLN/month for 500 Mb.(4 Euro/month) I dont get why people are so afraid of connecting to the Internet via phone while this is so cheap...

Last edited by smuthny; May 2nd, 2010 at 05:28 AM.
smuthny no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2010, 01:48 PM   #216
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuthny View Post
But for what? There is 3G range in almost whole country (even if not, GPRS is doing well) so you can run skype or gg voice or google or whatever in your phone. it cost like 15 PLN/month for 500 Mb.(4 Euro/month) I dont get why people are so afraid of connecting to the Internet via phone while this is so cheap...
I think they are for emergency, no? In case there is no mobile phone on hand (or if it's broken, the bettery is dead etc.). But I agree that it is indeed arguable whether this is really necessary.

Last edited by Pansori; May 2nd, 2010 at 10:50 PM.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 10:36 PM   #217
bleetz
one.man.army

Likes (Received): 396

Instead of driving through road Vilnius-Lazdijai/Ogrodniki-Augustow-Lomza-Zambrow-Warsaw (like in Pansori's pictures) I did Kaunas-Kalvarija/Budziski-Suwalki-Augustow-Lomza-Ostrow Mazowiecka-Warsaw.

I also stopped over in a hotel in Berlin this time (last time we staid in Poznan). So this time it was a bit more of a detour (a very pleasant detour though, must say!)

The comments that I have are as follows:

- Kaunas-Kalvarija is a very good road (apart from the last 20 or so km. where it is also OK). It has good hard shoulders and signage is good. However, its is completely inadequate as all truck traffic goes through there. You end up having to overtake convoys of trucks and its quite dangerous. It is similar to Polish roads in that people often use hard shoulders to allow others to overtake.
So the road itself: 8/10. Adequacy: 4/10.

- There are a few traffic black spots in Lomza-Ostrow Mazowiecka road due to road works, and I do not recommend going through that road. The road through Zambrow has better road quality and less traffic. It is generally a better experience to drive there.

- The road from Poznan to Swiecko is quite good but even less adequate than Kaunas-Kalvarija. I would rate adequacy as 2/10. I can't wait for the Swiecko-Poznan motorway connection. Driving through that section at night was the worst section in the whole of the journey. Its great to know that there will be a motorway connection there soon. The road will then do the job of a regional road quite nicely.

- Roads in Berlin are admirable. That's how all cities should organise their road infrastructure.

- The Netherlands have some breathtaking infrastructure in some places, though road markings (those that mark exactly where you are and which road you are on) every 100 meters seem like a bit of a (pleasant) overkill.

- I was stopped by a French customs unit when I entered France from Belgium. I would not mention it here but I was quite interested in the whole procedure. They had their sirens and flashing lights on until they were about 500 meters from me. They then switched the blue flashing lights off, and switched their headlights off (only leaving dipped headlights)! (?!) They got so close to me that it looked like even touching the break pedal would have caused a crash! They then went on the side of me and drove there for a while, until they finally overtook me and swerved so hard to my lane that I ended up about 1.5 meters from their back!! They had a little flashing note just below their blue lights saying "customs follow us". Three people got out of the car, surrounded it and checked it for any illegal items (while smoking cigarettes!). It was quite an interesting experience.

A couple of irrelevant comments:

- There were lots and lots Belgians on motorway bridges staring at the road. It was Saturday evening and there didn't seem to be anything unusual about the road. This made it look a bit freaky I tried to figure out what they were looking at and couldn't. They kind of looked like they were crazed zombies or cult of some sort that organised a mass suicide! I didn't know that Gumball 3000 was going on

- I stopped in Brugge for a couple of hours and its an amazing town
Old May 2nd, 2010, 10:40 PM   #218
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

Yeah the Gumball 3000 was going through Belgium and the Netherlands. I heard some Dutch motorway had jam-packed viaducts with people watching. It is also the case when the TT Motorraces are taking place in Assen. Thousands of people along the road watching the motorcycles doing stunts on the motorway, such as wheelies. There is also at lot of police present to take these kamikaze-pilots off the road.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 12:45 AM   #219
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

@Pansori: you've made a great thread. Thank you.
Your pictures from eastern Poland and Lithuania were really eye-openers.
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 10:16 AM   #220
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswnl View Post
Your pictures from eastern Poland and Lithuania were really eye-openers.
Did you expect this?
PLH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, belgium, france, lithuania, motorway, roadtrip, united kingdom