daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 26th, 2010, 01:41 PM   #41
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
Bleetz said nothing on contrary to this 60%. He has valuated quality of our roads really high. I think we should read what visitors to our country say and let them express their own opinion, no matter how good or bad it would have been. Just let's not shout if some wouldn't like roads in Poland.

By the way, we (with Pansori) almost approached the Netherlands
That's right. It's also important to stress that Polish roads are improving very fast. The A2 when complete all the way from DE/PL border to Warsaw will largely transform tha way cars go from Germany to Poland. It will create a very good image of the country, I must say. I haven't travelled in Poland before but I imagine that situation some 10 years ago was very different even from today and it will be very different after another 5-10 years and not only in A2 area but elsewhere as well.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 26th, 2010, 06:42 PM   #42
Dr.Mabuse
Proud Member of the DWF!

Likes (Received): 548

nice pics continue Pansori
Dr.Mabuse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 08:08 PM   #43
Czas na Żywiec
Globetrekker

Likes (Received): 1046

I likewise am awaiting the next set of pictures. Great job so far!

AR AT BE BG BR CA CH CZ DE DK EE ES FI FR HR HU IE IT LT LU LV NL PL RO RS SE SI SK TR UA UK US UY
Czas na Żywiec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 11:57 AM   #44
Pansori
planquadrat

Next The Netherlands

We traveled on A67 and a short stretch of A2 near Eindhoven

I don't have much to say about the road that we used apart from that it was more or less perfect in all ways possible. A pleasure to travel and an example to other countries how motorways should be maintained.

Map:
image hosted on flickr

If for any reason you will miss the sign informing that you've entered the country there is one thing you'll notice anyway - road quality. It is significantly better regardless of which side you're entering it from (Belgium or Germany).
image hosted on flickr

Speed limits
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Visually the road seems a little "grainy" but the ride quality was smooth (our car was Mitsubishi Colt which means the road was smooth)
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by Pansori; April 27th, 2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old April 27th, 2010, 11:58 AM   #45
Pansori
planquadrat

What I have noticed were those little green signs every 100m indicating the road number and distance... so convenient. However, I imagine how much materials they sue for installing and maintaining those signs. Perhaps making them every 200 or 500m would also do. Anyway, can't really complain about something being too good
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by Pansori; April 27th, 2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old April 27th, 2010, 11:59 AM   #46
Pansori
planquadrat

Double post.

Last edited by Pansori; April 27th, 2010 at 12:09 PM.
Old April 27th, 2010, 11:59 AM   #47
Pansori
planquadrat

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

A67 joining A2 near Eindhoven
image hosted on flickr

Last edited by Pansori; April 27th, 2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old April 27th, 2010, 12:01 PM   #48
Pansori
planquadrat

The infrastructure seemed very fresh. I guess Chris would have more info about it (is it newly built or just reconstructed?). Anyway, looks very nice and photogenic
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by Pansori; April 27th, 2010 at 03:20 PM.
Old April 27th, 2010, 12:02 PM   #49
Pansori
planquadrat

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

More of A67 still to come...

Old April 27th, 2010, 12:31 PM   #50
tompaw

Likes (Received): 1

Great report!

I know this route very well, because I regularly drive a similar one: Krakow > London > Krakow. I don't fly, because I hate the airports and the queues, and with the car I can grab all my stuff with me (and my gf does the horseriding so all that equipment takes space, too).

We generally do the trip once every 3-6 months, usually going west on A4, then Berlin, then exactly as you do. However, we always take the train as it's 3x faster than the ferry.

Funny thing is that we can drive all the way from Krakow to Channel (and vice versa) following... one road: E40 :-) We did it that way once, but it was quite a pain (southern Germany).

Also, I wish UK lifted that ridiculous animal policy so our dog could travel with us without the 6 months quarantine.

Time record for Krakow > Channel part was around 11 hours (10h 52min according to my gps). A6 Quattro 3.0 FTW ;-)

Last edited by tompaw; April 27th, 2010 at 12:36 PM.
tompaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 12:35 PM   #51
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19388

Quote:
The infrastructure seemed very fresh. I guess Chris would have more info about it (is it newly built or just reconstructed?). Anyway, looks very nice and photogenic
Technically, the Eindhoven bypass is a reconstruction of the existing motorway which was built in the 1960's. However, in practice it was a complete rebuilt of the motorway, not just a simple widening. All interchanges were rebuilt, a local-express setup was built and new and wider overpasses were constructed. The reconstruction lasted from 2006 to 2010 and is now almost completed.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 01:36 PM   #52
MAG
Keep it simple

Congratulations, Pansori, this is turning out to be a very interesting overview and comparison report.

I agree with you and your co-traveller that in Europe the small Koninkrijk der Nederlanden is as close to motorway heaven as you can get, which is clear from your pictures. The experience is only marred by the (occasional) heavy traffic and, for me, the uneven signage boards. But one must not grumble because the driving experience is head and shoulders above the rest, especially with respect to road noise and the velvet-smooth ride quality, for the most part.

The Dutch are a rich, sophisticated and well-organised society and this is reflected in their passion for building high-quality roads. One can only look with polite envy at their achievements, swallow one's pride and humbly learn from the masters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompaw
Time record for Krakow > Channel part was around 11 hours (10h 52min according to my gps). A6 Quattro 3.0 FTW ;-)
Hang on a minute, you drove some 1500 km in 11 hours?
This gives an average speed of just over 130 km/h, ignoring any pit stops.
I have no choice but to conclude that your right foot is made of concrete and your bladder is the size of a weather balloon.

Drogowskaz Classic

MAG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 02:55 PM   #53
Pansori
planquadrat

Thanks for your contribution, guys. I'd be happy to receive further comments because I'm sure many people here know those roads much better than I do.

@MAG
Well said. driving in NL was one of the best (even if one of the shortest) experiences during our trip.
Old April 27th, 2010, 03:15 PM   #54
Pansori
planquadrat

View on Eindhoven bypass with some more mm. Simply looking good
image hosted on flickr

Time to leave A2 and follow the A67
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Underpass under the A2
image hosted on flickr

Stopping over for a minute to have a snack and breath in some fresh air (or as fresh as it gets next to a motorway )
image hosted on flickr

Old April 27th, 2010, 03:16 PM   #55
Pansori
planquadrat

A67. Doesn't look as good as the previous stretch but still in an enviable condition for most of the time. The Dutch must know some secret recipe of how to keep the road surface smooth regardless of how it looks
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

We're being overtaken by Audi RS6 C6. A saloon that produces something as crazy as 570bhp. I bet he was going to Germany
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

The last few kilometers in NL before entering Germany
image hosted on flickr

Last edited by Pansori; April 27th, 2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old April 27th, 2010, 03:17 PM   #56
Pansori
planquadrat

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

That's all from The Netherlands... I'll have to be back some time in the foreseeable future even if not for the purposes of road-spotting
Old April 27th, 2010, 04:22 PM   #57
Tin_Can

Awesome road trip! Wasn't it too tiresome to cover almost 2200km in 29 hours? Longest trips I've personally had were 800+ km within 24h and at the end of them I was willing to crash the car just to avoid driving any longer
Tin_Can no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 04:30 PM   #58
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin_Can View Post
Awesome road trip! Wasn't it too tiresome to cover almost 2200km in 29 hours? Longest trips I've personally had were 800+ km within 24h and at the end of them I was willing to crash the car just to avoid driving any longer
It wasn't that tiring because we slept in a hotel in Poland. We did about 1000km each day with a good 8 hour sleep inbetween so it was allright. Although sitting in a car for 10+ hours a day is no fun. Although I guess it's easier if you have a more comfortable car (such as Lexus GS or MB E class).
Old April 27th, 2010, 04:58 PM   #59
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19388

A concrete barrier like on A67 is rare in the Netherlands, especially because this one is quite old.

By the way, they have fixed a huge amount of lane miles in the last two months. Before that some motorways were ridden with potholes because of the freeze-thaw cycle. Mr. Palance can tell you some stories about damaged windshields.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 05:01 PM   #60
Wover

Likes (Received): 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
What I have noticed were those little green signs every 100m indicating the road number and distance... so convenient. However, I imagine how much materials they sue for installing and maintaining those signs. Perhaps making them every 200 or 500m would also do. Anyway, can't really complain about something being too good
image hosted on flickr
I think those signs are found next to most highways in Europe, but they might not be as visible in every country. In Belgium for example, they gave the big kilometer-signs (like the one on your first picture from Holland, in front of the "Nederland" sign) and small hectometer signs which are directed towards the motorway (so not very visible from a passing car).

Reason why they have so many is that if you break down or you had an accident, you could specifiy your location to emergency services as efficiently as possible.

Quote:
image hosted on flickr
Wover no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, belgium, france, lithuania, motorway, roadtrip, united kingdom