daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 28th, 2010, 09:51 PM   #121
TheFlyPL

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
what about the stretch between poznan and germany?
Between border and Nowy Tomysl there is simple 1x2 road. Sometimes with bad pavement quality. Traffic flow is high so (as it was said) road is not adequate to it.

From Nowy Tomyśl to Poznań there is a highway wich looks the same as this after Poznań.
TheFlyPL no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 29th, 2010, 12:52 AM   #122
ufonut
Atlantyda

Likes (Received): 1732

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
We got on A2 near Novy Tomysl. I think it's where the A2 starts at the moment.
I think this might be the picture that shows where A2 is currently U/C and where you entered A2 already built (I could be wrong though).

Old April 29th, 2010, 04:07 AM   #123
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
On the German pictures, what are the little blue signs with the letter U and two numbers (U35, U52...) that you see on some directional signage?
That means Umleitung. If the motorway is closed all of the traffic are going at a route with Umleitung signs outside the motorways. Or you can use an Umleitung instead of the motorway if there is to much traffic and you can find another road is faster.

In Sweden we have something similar, but here we have road number signs which are white instead of blue or green. But no one outside Sweden understand that. Its like even most of the Swedish drivers don't understand the white road number signs. And onle a few motorways here in Sweden have that. Here in Uppsala we don't have it on the motorways. So the Swedish system is not good. But the German system with the U-signs is quite good.

I hope one day we can have a European standard for this sort of sign so we can understand what they means in all parts of Europe.
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2010, 04:32 AM   #124
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

I think those signs at the Polish motorways are very good. They are very big and I like the font. The only thing I missing on them are exit numbers. I heard its coming to Poland but I still don't see them in Poland. Sometimes I driving at the A18 and A4 in Poland and I still don't see any exit numbers. But the signs are very good at the motorways. I think they are even better than the German signs. I see the difference when I going at the German A15 and over the border and the motorway change number to Polish A18.
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2010, 06:26 AM   #125
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppsala View Post
That means Umleitung. If the motorway is closed all of the traffic are going at a route with Umleitung signs outside the motorways. Or you can use an Umleitung instead of the motorway if there is to much traffic and you can find another road is faster.

In Sweden we have something similar, but here we have road number signs which are white instead of blue or green. But no one outside Sweden understand that. Its like even most of the Swedish drivers don't understand the white road number signs. And onle a few motorways here in Sweden have that. Here in Uppsala we don't have it on the motorways. So the Swedish system is not good. But the German system with the U-signs is quite good.

I hope one day we can have a European standard for this sort of sign so we can understand what they means in all parts of Europe.
That's good if you know what it means; at first I thought they might be leading to particular public-transit lines. (U-bahn line 35....)

Pennsylvania has this sort of permanent detour signage as well. They're even color-coded (red detour, blue detour....) I had to use one once, and it worked out fine.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2010, 11:00 AM   #126
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

Quote:

I think it would be a great idea to introduce a single standard for all traffic signs accross the EU. Introducing single set of traffic regulations would be a great idea as well. I don't understand why this hasn't been done yet. It's not like this would cost extra or anything. They could simply start changing to the new signs after the current ones would get obsolete (too old, damaged etc.) instead of just doing that in one go. That would make life for drivers sooo much easier.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2010, 02:11 PM   #127
Mr_Dru

Likes (Received): 547

Quote:

Since two years the Dutch addopted the U-signs from the Germans. It's a very convience system. The U means in the Netherlands 'Uitwijkroute'.

But btw very nice photo-serie. Poland is very nice to see. It looks everyting is recently build. I can't wait to see more.

Greetz.
Mr_Dru no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2010, 06:59 PM   #128
Wover

Likes (Received): 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Dru View Post
Since two years the Dutch addopted the U-signs from the Germans. It's a very convience system. The U means in the Netherlands 'Uitwijkroute'.

But btw very nice photo-serie. Poland is very nice to see. It looks everyting is recently build. I can't wait to see more.

Greetz.
In Belgium we recently use yellow signs with a black letter and a direction. The letters are random and they provide the route to the next highway ramp.

http://www.verkeerscentrum.be/verkeersinfo/faq/beheer-3 (Flemish)
Wover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2010, 07:13 PM   #129
Miguel_PL

Likes (Received): 49

Where are the photos ?
Miguel_PL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2010, 11:02 PM   #130
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel_PL View Post
Where are the photos ?
Here they are

After the end of A2 driving towards Warsaw became much slower and more stressful. The good thing was that we still had a long day in front of us and the idea that the very same evening we would arrive in Vilnius helped to stay cheerful. Also, as you can clearly see in all photos, the weather was simply wonderful which also was an advantage.

Map of the route from the end of A2 to PL/LT border via Warsaw.
image hosted on flickr

Continuing to Warsaw. This is the kind of road we used for most part (2).
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

What really helps is the hard shoulder which is convenient for overtaking other cars without causing danger or stress
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Town after town on 2 towards Warsaw
image hosted on flickr

Last edited by Pansori; April 29th, 2010 at 11:17 PM.
Old April 29th, 2010, 11:07 PM   #131
Pansori
planquadrat

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old April 29th, 2010, 11:08 PM   #132
Pansori
planquadrat

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Apples anyone?
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old April 29th, 2010, 11:08 PM   #133
Pansori
planquadrat

image hosted on flickr

70km/h is the most common speed limit, typically before junctions or other dangerous spots
image hosted on flickr

Great surface quality
image hosted on flickr

Typical overtaking maneuver in roads with hard shoulder. Especially useful when overtaking heavy trucks
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old April 29th, 2010, 11:09 PM   #134
Pansori
planquadrat

You can see large solar panels. I'm not sure what they are for but my guess is that they are powering the flashing light at the pedestrian crossing or other nearby road-objects that require low amounts of electricity
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

[edited] duplicate picture

Traffic slowed down... police car standing on the road. Something happened...
image hosted on flickr

...that's what happened. Volvo S40 if I'm not mistaken
image hosted on flickr
Old April 29th, 2010, 11:11 PM   #135
Pansori
planquadrat

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old April 29th, 2010, 11:12 PM   #136
Pansori
planquadrat

Warsaw.
Initially we did not plan to go via city center (satnav was showing some different route via suburbs and onto road 61. However we spontaneously decided that it would be a good idea to go via the center of the capital just to see how driving is like and, of course, see some skyscrapers.
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

24 hr Tesco. Too bad we were short of time to stop over, because I would love to see how Tescos look like in Poland... and it's my favorite supermarket anyway. I Wonder if they're better than in Britain (for some reason I believe they are)... once I was surprised how much better Tescos are in Thailand (cleaner, nicer staff, better shop layout etc. one would not believe it's run by the same company)
image hosted on flickr

Warsaw Trade Tower looking good in the far perspective of the street
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old April 29th, 2010, 11:13 PM   #137
Pansori
planquadrat

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Warsaw skyline
image hosted on flickr

Rondo 1, arguably the best skyscraper in Warsaw
image hosted on flickr

Public transport
image hosted on flickr
Old April 29th, 2010, 11:13 PM   #138
Pansori
planquadrat

Solaris bus. Seemingly the company found its success in European markets
image hosted on flickr

Next to Rondo 1
image hosted on flickr

Rondo 1 seen via... the sunroof
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Warsaw Financial Center tower (if I'm not mistaken... the angle was quite complicated )
image hosted on flickr
Old April 29th, 2010, 11:14 PM   #139
Pansori
planquadrat

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old April 29th, 2010, 11:14 PM   #140
Pansori
planquadrat

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

I wonder what Polish forumers think about advertisements near the road? All the way through Poland I was seeing insane amounts of such advertisement boards sticked and mounted to absolutely everything (even on trees!) in any way possible. Sometimes it really looks over the top, I think
image hosted on flickr

After this point the remaining part is towards the PL/LT border. Coming very soon...

Tags
autobahn, belgium, france, lithuania, motorway, roadtrip, united kingdom