daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 30th, 2010, 01:04 AM   #161
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6909

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Last kilometers in Poland
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Border betwen Poland and Lithuania near Ogrodniki (and Lazdijai from Lithuanian side). This is one of the two main crossings between PL and LT the other one being on E67 (Via Baltica) route which is much more intense and generally more eimportant. Some of the border-crossing infrastructure is still in place although after Poland and Lithuania joined the Schengen agreement there are no more formal border controls. However there is a border security car stationed nearby which can choose to stop cars at random
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 30th, 2010, 01:05 AM   #162
Pansori
planquadrat

We're in Lithuania... sweet home

Map (we did some zig-zagging... I'm not sure why but it just happened ) :
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by Pansori; April 30th, 2010 at 01:15 AM.
Old April 30th, 2010, 01:06 AM   #163
Pansori
planquadrat

image hosted on flickr

The road doesn't look too good and neither it is comfortable... however, keep in mind that none of the roads from the border crossing on the Lithuanian side are main roads (i.e. the highest rank "A" roads) but rather national road (i.e. road of local importance without a letter and a step below main road). The most striking occurance is the lack of road-signs... after Poland it felt as we entered no-mans land: just very basic signage (i.e. directions to some local vilages... as if Vilnius or other larger cities did not exist), no traffic, no people, nothing. Lithuania's residential density is noticeably lower than Poland's and this is very obvious while on the road
image hosted on flickr

Fancy going to Veisiejai? Or perhaps Leipalingis? No? Would rather go to Vilnius? Of course, only if you know which way it is . If you're not familiar with road signage peculiarities of Lithuania's national roads it's your own problem... or at least that's what the responsible people of the Lithuanian Road Agency believe. While main (A) roads use relatively decent signage, national roads usually show only directions to some local villages and towns. Very smart.
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Cops! Will they stop us?
image hosted on flickr

Last edited by Pansori; April 30th, 2010 at 01:26 AM.
Old April 30th, 2010, 01:08 AM   #164
Pansori
planquadrat

Hell yeah!
We were not speeding or doing anything wrong. However our left headlight didn't work (it did before leaving!) which, I guess, was the reason our car caught their attention. The cop didn't seem very happy and sounded as if we should be feeling guilty about something (perhaps that he was in a bad mood). After checking the documents he wished us good journey and suggested we change the headlight
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

A roundabout... finally there should be directions to Vilnius... or maybe not.
image hosted on flickr

The road is reasonably good and... empty
image hosted on flickr
Old April 30th, 2010, 01:09 AM   #165
Pansori
planquadrat

image hosted on flickr

Near Druskininkai (it's a rether important SPA town in Southern Lithuania). This is where we join the Lithuanian A4 which for most part is an excellent road with relatively low traffic volumes
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Speed camera
image hosted on flickr

Going towards Vilnius
image hosted on flickr
Old April 30th, 2010, 01:11 AM   #166
Pansori
planquadrat

Driving in Lithuania after all other countries seemed like driving on the moon: traffic was virtually nonexistent with only occasional cars passing by.
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

It was getting too dark... we made it to Vilnius at about 22:00 hours which was precisely as planned.
image hosted on flickr

If anyone's interested how the A4 route from Druskininkai to Vilnius (i.e. one that we used to get to Vilnius) in Lithuania looks like, can do it here in my last year's report on the same road.

Thank you very much all who were patient enough to watch and comment! It was the greatest road-trip experience of my life to date and I'm happy if anyone found it interesting.

For the end, two bonus pictures of driving in Vilnius (entering the city via A14 road)

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

P.S. for those who are interested, many new reports (including video) are coming to the Lithuanian road thread very soon.
Old April 30th, 2010, 01:13 AM   #167
CrazySerb
Vuk sa Ontarija

Likes (Received): 7676

Very interesting! Great photos and descriptions, as we've come to expect from you
While the roads are pretty much great throughout, I have to say that i'm a little disappointed with the natural settings/ scenery - it looks pretty ordinary.
CrazySerb está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2010, 01:14 AM   #168
zvir

Likes (Received): 6

Thanks very much! one of the furum best posts.

This is one of the best. see a large portion of Europe roads west and east!
Thanks .
Zvir
Tel-aviv
zvir no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2010, 01:22 AM   #169
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySerb View Post
Very interesting! Great photos and descriptions, as we've come to expect from you
While the roads are pretty much great throughout, I have to say that i'm a little disappointed with the natural settings/ scenery - it looks pretty ordinary.
Thanks!

True, the only view that I would describe as scenic was that nice bit in Germany... other than that it was rather boring. You can't expect mountains or huge valleys in Northern part of Europe though

Beauty-wise nothing can beat Austria, Northern Italy, Switzerland and similar locations.
Old April 30th, 2010, 01:30 AM   #170
Uppsala

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
Thanks!

True, the only view that I would describe as scenic was that nice bit in Germany... other than that it was rather boring. You can't expect mountains or huge valleys in Northern part of Europe though

Beauty-wise nothing can beat Austria, Northern Italy, Switzerland and similar locations.
Did you have a car with British platses and built for left-hand traffic?
Uppsala no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2010, 01:34 AM   #171
Pansori
planquadrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppsala View Post
Did you have a car with British platses and built for left-hand traffic?
Yes
Old April 30th, 2010, 01:38 AM   #172
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19389

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySerb View Post
Pansori and Bleetz basically crossed the great European plains... No real mountains for hundreds, if not thousands of kilometers.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2010, 02:06 AM   #173
Fuzzy Llama
Puszysty samiec lamy.

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Driving in Lithuania after all other countries seemed like driving on the moon: traffic was virtually nonexistent with only occasional cars passing by.
That's why I've made a cycling trip through the Baltics twice, and I may go there again this summer

Quote:
After the end of A2 driving towards Warsaw became much slower and more stressful.
If I were you, I'd go from the end of A2 to Warsaw through Rawa Mazowiecka, like this. You'd join the DK8 in Rawa Mazowiecka, which is 2+2 road. Although its constant stop-and-go due to numerous traffic lights and the pavement is not-so-great, it is certainly faster and less stressful than DK14+DK2 variant.

Concerning the whole thread - Pansori, great work. You can really feel the atmosphere of international road trip here.
Fuzzy Llama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2010, 03:06 AM   #174
Czas na Żywiec
Globetrekker

Likes (Received): 1046

Again, great job Pansori! Although I do have to admit that not signing Kaunas or Vilnius but just small villages along the road does seem rather odd. What do you do if you don't know the area, have no GPS or map and don't speak the language? Just keep driving and hope for the best? Then again, I'm sure most international transit from Poland goes through the Budzisko/Kalvarija crossing where you join the A5 where they (hopefully ) sign the bigger cities.

AR AT BE BG BR CA CH CZ DE DK EE ES FI FR HR HU IE IT LT LU LV NL PL RO RS SE SI SK TR UA UK US UY
Czas na Żywiec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2010, 03:14 AM   #175
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

nice police car btw.
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2010, 04:01 AM   #176
GrimFadango

Likes (Received): 335

Great job, thumbs up! Pansori, you're my favourite baltic guy now
Old April 30th, 2010, 04:09 AM   #177
katia72

Likes (Received): 9

Good photos .. great job!
This summer I will drive from Oslo via Sweden to Poland, Bielsko-Biala. If someone is interested I can take pictures and post them here on the forum
katia72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2010, 06:17 AM   #178
delfin_pl
Expert

Likes (Received): 56

Quote:

image hosted on flickr
You were asking about those solar panels on Polish roads, they provide energy for those yellow sign poles - they blink at night.
But most of them use regular electricity, we call them "aktywny znak drogowy" (active traffic sign)

also pedestrian crossings use similar system

dude on the sign walks after dawn.

Last edited by delfin_pl; April 30th, 2010 at 06:25 AM.
delfin_pl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2010, 08:38 AM   #179
fredis
Žalgiris Kaunas 4ever

Likes (Received): 3

Nice job Pansori
Strangely I am unable to see trucks in your photos, maybe that’s because you didn't go to Suwalki towards Kaunas and maybe the day time for truck drivers isn't the best time. As I was driving recently from Kaunas to Suwalki, I was furious, because I had too many trucks in front of me. I hope that one day, Poland will make the highway till PL/LT border. Nice job again. I will take pictures now for your thread about Lithuanian roads

Overtaking cars like in that video is a common thing in A5 road from Kaunas. I hate drivers who are driving on 70 km/h very near middle, as he has plenty space on the right side.

Last edited by fredis; April 30th, 2010 at 10:58 AM.
fredis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2010, 10:51 AM   #180
earth intruder
Dubaj mnie nie kręci

Likes (Received): 305

Quote:
Originally Posted by katia72 View Post
Good photos .. great job!
This summer I will drive from Oslo via Sweden to Poland, Bielsko-Biala. If someone is interested I can take pictures and post them here on the forum
sure!
earth intruder no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
autobahn, belgium, france, lithuania, motorway, roadtrip, united kingdom