daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 25th, 2010, 03:32 PM   #1
JeremyCastle

Likes (Received): 2

California roads and freeways.

Hey all,

If there's a thread on here that already focuses on California, let me know, and I'll delete the thread, but so far, after numerous searches, have yet to find one. Anything that has to do with California roads and freeways, lets discuss here, after all, why should the world's 8th largest economy not have it's own thread for its road network? :-)

A "few" things on my mind to help start the discussion:

1. Extending I-40 from Barstow to Bakersfield.
2. Have they ever smoothed I-80 through the Sierra? Last time I drive through there it was the worst Interstate I've ever driven on.
3. Upgrading those sections of the 99 in the Central Valley and the 101 in the Central Coast region to fully freeway status.
4. How much of the 395 through the Eastern Sierra is now 4 lanes?
5. It seems like there are certain places in California that could now be tunneled through,(I can only think of a few road tunnels in the entire state) now that earthquake "proofing" technology has greatly improved.
6. Roundabouts building by Cantrans. From what I've seen in the existing roundabouts, California drivers never use any turn signals at all, and the DMV manual doesn't tell people to signal either.
7. Staying right except to pass status in California.
8. Expansion/widening extension of existing roads/plans for new roads(New freeway from Orange County to I-15 in Riverside county for example).
9. Environmental damage of closing the freeway gap between the I-580 near Tracey to the I80/I505 near Vacaville. This would increase traffic flow along the I-505(which I think is the least traveled interstate/freeway in California) as well as eliminate long distance traffic between Tracey through Sacramento.

Ok, those are some of topics I thought of just off the top of my head. I'm excited to read people's thoughts/opinions about these and hopefully many other topics as well that affect our lovely State.
JeremyCastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 25th, 2010, 03:36 PM   #2
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

1. Good idea, and not only to 99 in Bakersfield, but all the way to I-5

2. According to some forum members (Alex von Königsberg), this section is still in awful condition.

3. Yep, and assign an Interstate number to it (I-7 or I-9).

5. Tunneling should be no problem in an earthquake-sensitive area. Tokyo has completely underground expressways to begin with.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2010, 03:49 PM   #3
JeremyCastle

I meant to say from the I-40/I-15 but think all the way to I-5 is an excellent idea. Hadn't thought of that! :-) I assume however, that the traffic flow between Barstow and Bakersfield would be much lower than between LA and LV. :-)

The list of existing tunnels that I can think of are:

1. Cal Freeway 24 near Berkeley.
2. Cal Freeway 110 near Chinatown LA
3. Cal Route 23 between Malibu and US 101.
4. Cal route 41 near Yosemite Valley
5. USA Route 101/1 just north of the Golden Gate bridge.
6. Cal Route 2/Angeles Crest highway in the mountains above LA metro.

Those are the tunnels I can think of right now(once again, off the top of my head).

Why I-7 or I-9. Are those not in use yet? And of course, it would have to be an off number.
Old April 25th, 2010, 04:39 PM   #4
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyCastle View Post
I meant to say from the I-40/I-15 but think all the way to I-5 is an excellent idea. Hadn't thought of that! :-) I assume however, that the traffic flow between Barstow and Bakersfield would be much lower than between LA and LV. :-)
Apart from local traffic, it would mainly serve long-distance traffic from San Francisco and the San Joaquin Valley agricultural region to points east along I-40, like Albuquerque, northern Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee and the Carolinas.
Old April 25th, 2010, 04:46 PM   #5
JeremyCastle

My initial thought that the vast majority of traffic is between LA and LV(one of the last places I want to be on a Sunday evening is on I-15 heading south of LV). Any idea what the traffic percentage decrease is north of LV? I wonder if a traffic analysis, looking at the how traffic flow would be affected would be affected by having a new interstate from the I-5 to Barstow has been done?
Old April 25th, 2010, 07:29 PM   #6
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

A separate thread for California?? Have you seceded? :-)
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2010, 07:30 PM   #7
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Abolish the so-called Interstate 238. It has no business having that number. There are a few x80s available. If I were a cartographer, I'd leave it off all maps, just on principle.

Edit: okay, there are two x80s available. Unless I'm forgetting anything. On the other hand, you only need one.
Old April 25th, 2010, 07:46 PM   #8
JeremyCastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Well, one of the moderators has already posted on this thread, so I'll take that as a good sign so far. :-)
Old April 25th, 2010, 07:49 PM   #9
JeremyCastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Abolish the so-called Interstate 238. It has no business having that number. There are a few x80s available. If I were a cartographer, I'd leave it off all maps, just on principle.

Edit: okay, there are two x80s available. Unless I'm forgetting anything. On the other hand, you only need one.
Why do you think the I-238 has no business being labeled an Interstate? What would you label it? Do you think it should go back to its no label status?
Old April 25th, 2010, 07:57 PM   #10
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyCastle View Post
Why do you think the I-238 has no business being labeled an Interstate? What would you label it? Do you think it should go back to its no label status?
Under the original rules for the Interstate numbering system, three-digit routes take their last two digits from their parent route. Which is why the Bay Area has all those -80s. I-238 is the only route in the country that breaks that rule (since there's no I-38), and they could perfectly easily call it 180 or 480. Or it could revert, not to no-label status (which is not what it was), but to being part of Cal. 238.
Old April 25th, 2010, 08:07 PM   #11
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

I agree that this is already covered by the 'USA Interstate' and 'USA Non-Interstate' threads, but if anything, I would combine the two USA threads into one.

That said, in addition to the Tracey-Vacaville idea, I would also complete the CA 4 freeway between Antioch and Stockton.

Now, my really, totally wacked-out unbuildable thought would be to extend I-70 west to the Fresno area/I-5 by tunneling under the Sierras by way of Bishop, CA. Yea, it would be the longest motorway tunnel in the World and raise the hackles of every enviro on the planet, but California does need another outlet to the east between I-80 and CA 58.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2010, 08:58 PM   #12
JeremyCastle

Originally Posted by Penn's Woods

Penn's Woods... I just got the joke... I thought you said succeeded, just noticed now that you actually said seceded. :-) Silly me. :-/

Well, I figured that California was large enough to have its own thread. My thinking is that it would hopefully allow us to talk about some specific California roads/issues more in depth. Otherwise they would be swallowed up and forgotten about inside the bowels of the two gigantic USA Interstate/Non Interstate threads.
Old April 25th, 2010, 09:07 PM   #13
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Ontario and Los Angeles have separate threads as well, although the latter is mostly inactive. Other countries/disputed territories have threads as well, although most of them are inactive as well.

The main problem on SSC is that non-popular threads tend fall into oblivion quite fast. That's why most threads are organized by country.
Old April 26th, 2010, 02:27 AM   #14
henry1394
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

- They should change from SR-99 to I-9 (on section that have interstate standard of course)
- Change SR-15 to I-15 or build an extension where it can reach border ex: along SR-125, or a new route along the Colorado river. That way I- and I-15 are the 2 touches both borders.
- Extend I-14 from Barstow, to Bakersfield, to I-5 and ends at US 101 or San Louis Obsipo
- Change SR-24 to I-980
- Extend I-105 so it can reach I-5
- Replace those state routes that are freeways in LA and San Bernardino area into interstate routes
henry1394 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 02:37 AM   #15
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17033

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Ontario and Los Angeles have separate threads as well, although the latter is mostly inactive. Other countries/disputed territories have threads as well, although most of them are inactive as well.

The main problem on SSC is that non-popular threads tend fall into oblivion quite fast. That's why most threads are organized by country.
Maybe we should divide it up by Region's like , Northeast , Midwest , Southeast , Southwest , West Coast Interstates & Regional Roads.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 01:25 PM   #16
JeremyCastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
I agree that this is already covered by the 'USA Interstate' and 'USA Non-Interstate' threads, but if anything, I would combine the two USA threads into one.

That said, in addition to the Tracey-Vacaville idea, I would also complete the CA 4 freeway between Antioch and Stockton.

Now, my really, totally wacked-out unbuildable thought would be to extend I-70 west to the Fresno area/I-5 by tunneling under the Sierras by way of Bishop, CA. Yea, it would be the longest motorway tunnel in the World and raise the hackles of every enviro on the planet, but California does need another outlet to the east between I-80 and CA 58.

Mike
I-70 from central Utah to Fresno?? Building a new Interstate across Central Nevada?...Yeah... I'm a hard core road enthusiast, but I'm afraid I can't support that one. :-)

I don't think current traffic flows would ever necessitate the building of a another outlet through the Sierra between I-80 and CA 58. Would it be possible to tunnel portions of the existing passes(108, 4, 88, 50, 80). Where can we find AADT information for these roads?

Why would environmentalists be opposed to tunneling? I would think they would welcome it.

Finishing the 4 in the Bay Area to Stockton is a great idea, the traffic flow through Brentwood trying to get to the 4 can be a nightmare but I think getting anything like that built through the Delta would also "Raise the hackles" of every environmentalists on the planet. If the environment fight was won, the 4 should also connect with a new freeway extension from Tracy joining up with the I-505, which would long distance traffic out of Stockton/Sacramento.
Old April 26th, 2010, 01:27 PM   #17
JeremyCastle

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1394 View Post
-
- Extend I-14 from Barstow, to Bakersfield, to I-5 and ends at US 101 or San Louis Obsipo
Does the AADT call for this? I assume this would mean that CA 58 over the Coast Ranges would be converted to a freeway/motorway?
Old April 26th, 2010, 03:59 PM   #18
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Maybe we should divide it up by Region's like , Northeast , Midwest , Southeast , Southwest , West Coast Interstates & Regional Roads.
Nah, then we'd start arguing about where regional boundaries fall....
Old April 26th, 2010, 04:12 PM   #19
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

If you want a chuckle or two about the 238 problem....

http://www.gbcnet.com/roads/I-238/
Old April 26th, 2010, 08:16 PM   #20
jandeczentar

I don't know whether this is the right thread to pose this question but I'll ask anyway. What were the planners thinking when they designed the interchange of the Artesia, Riverside and Santa Ana freeways in Orange County? They should've had 1 continuous road going east-west with some sort of 3-level stack between it and the 5. Instead, each of the incoming carriageways splits up into 3 separate roads, all of which need their own bridges. This must've cost a fortune; far more than it needed to. So I've got to know, is there a reason it was designed this way or was it just a bridge-mad city planner going wild?
jandeczentar no está en línea   Reply With Quote