daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 27th, 2010, 09:14 PM   #41
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry1394 View Post
- They should change from SR-99 to I-9 (on section that have interstate standard of course)
- Change SR-15 to I-15 or build an extension where it can reach border ex: along SR-125, or a new route along the Colorado river. That way I- and I-15 are the 2 touches both borders.
- Extend I-14 from Barstow, to Bakersfield, to I-5 and ends at US 101 or San Louis Obsipo
- Change SR-24 to I-980
- Extend I-105 so it can reach I-5
- Replace those state routes that are freeways in LA and San Bernardino area into interstate routes
I-105 is at its ultimate east end. OTOH, a useful connection could be made by updating the I-5/605 interchange to allow free-flow connections in that direction. OTOH, I-5 in that area is a very narrow 6 lanes and would require $$$$ ROW acquisition to upgrade. The existing two ramps that extend off of the east end of I-105 are a low-powered carpool access to the local neighborhood.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 27th, 2010, 09:29 PM   #42
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

The I-5 widening is planned.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 02:48 AM   #43
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

One of the things that really stuck with me from Southern California is just how much longevity they get out of their infrastructure. I drove the Pasadena Freeway, and some of those bridges, build in the 30s and 40s look better than some of the bridges in Ontario, Canada where i live that were built in the 80s. It's amazing to me just how much damage winter and salt do to concrete.

I often didn't find concrete in California to be all that loud. A lot of the roads had been whisper-grooved (where the concrete is machined to have longitudinal grooves), the only exception were some of the high-speed flyover structures -- I guess CalTrans is reluctant to run a diamond grinder overtop of a structure -- even if its just the deck.

Old April 28th, 2010, 07:45 AM   #44
myosh_tino

Likes (Received): 16

Here are some insights from a lifelong northern Californian...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyCastle View Post
1. Extending I-40 from Barstow to Bakersfield.
Possible. Caltrans is studying options for converting the remaining 2-lane sections (Kramer's Junction/US 395 and just west of Barstow) into a minimum of a 4-lane expressway ('expressway' does not mean 'freeway'). They are also looking at a future freeway from Bakersfield to I-5.

Quote:
2. Have they ever smoothed I-80 through the Sierra? Last time I drive through there it was the worst Interstate I've ever driven on.
The pavement on I-80 over the mountains is around 50 years old and Caltrans is currently repaving, repairing and upgrading I-80. Project website... http://www.getacross80.com/

Quote:
3. Upgrading those sections of the 99 in the Central Valley and the 101 in the Central Coast region to fully freeway status.
Don't know about US 101 but there are studies underway for upgrading CA-99 to Interstate standards from I-5 near the Grapevine to Stockton. If the upgrades are built, it may get designated I-9 or I-7. My money is on I-7 because California state law forbids route number duplication and CA-9 is an important route from San Jose to Santa Cruz and costs to business owners and residents would be significant. CA-7, on the other hand, is a short highway connecting I-8 to the Mexican border.

Quote:
9. Environmental damage of closing the freeway gap between the I-580 near Tracey to the I80/I505 near Vacaville. This would increase traffic flow along the I-505(which I think is the least traveled interstate/freeway in California) as well as eliminate long distance traffic between Tracey through Sacramento.
Given the fact that the Sacramento River delta is such an environmentally sensitive area, a freeway extension through this area is very, very unlikely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Abolish the so-called Interstate 238. It has no business having that number. There are a few x80s available. If I were a cartographer, I'd leave it off all maps, just on principle.

Edit: okay, there are two x80s available. Unless I'm forgetting anything. On the other hand, you only need one.
There may seem to be two x80's left but it's really one. Like I mentioned above, California law doesn't allow route number duplication. Since there already is a CA-180 (Fresno, Kings Canyon), that eliminates I-180. The only x80 left is I-480 which used to be the Embarcadero Frwy before it was torn down after the 1989 earthquake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Maybe we should divide it up by Region's like , Northeast , Midwest , Southeast , Southwest , West Coast Interstates & Regional Roads.
Quote:
Nah, then we'd start arguing about where regional boundaries fall....
Check out the forums at AARoads.com (http://www.aaroads.com/forum/). They have the U.S. broken down into 11 regions.
myosh_tino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 04:11 PM   #45
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosh_tino View Post
Here are some insights from a lifelong northern Californian...

('expressway' does not mean 'freeway').

Don't know about US 101 but there are studies underway for upgrading CA-99 to Interstate standards from I-5 near the Grapevine to Stockton. If the upgrades are built, it may get designated I-9 or I-7. My money is on I-7 because California state law forbids route number duplication and CA-9 is an important route from San Jose to Santa Cruz and costs to business owners and residents would be significant. CA-7, on the other hand, is a short highway connecting I-8 to the Mexican border.

Check out the forums at AARoads.com (http://www.aaroads.com/forum/). They have the U.S. broken down into 11 regions.
As a 50-plus poster (which only took, like, a week), to someone in single digits at this writing, welcome!

Random reactions to particular points:

The expressway/freeway thing, we've been arguing about, either earlier on this thread or on another thread. Seems to be a regional thing: in official usage in Pennsylvania, they seem to be interchangeable. So to speak. (Find my post about the "Freeway Ends" on US 30 east of Lancaster and the "Expressway Ends" on US 1 near Kennett Square....) And I, as a lifelong Northeasterner, have always thought they meant the same thing; it was just that "freeway" was a word used in other parts of the country for what I call an expressway.

Did you know that the current I-710 used to be Cal. 7?

Maybe I-480 has bad memories associated it, but still, there's no excuse for a three-digit Interstate with a non-existent parent. Hmph.

I didn't know AA Roads had a forum. (I have visited the site to look at pictures, but not recently). That's just what I need....:-)
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 09:25 PM   #46
myosh_tino

Quote:
Did you know that the current I-710 used to be Cal. 7?
Although I'm from northern California, yes, I did know that CA-7 became I-710 sometime during the 80's.

Quote:
Maybe I-480 has bad memories associated it, but still, there's no excuse for a three-digit Interstate with a non-existent parent. Hmph.
Yeah, I know I-238 drives many a roadgeek crazy. There is a lengthy thread over at the Pacific Southwest Region Forum at AARoads (http://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=81.0) where there are sensible and not-so-sensible solutions to resolve the whole I-238 issue.

Quote:
As a 50-plus poster (which only took, like, a week), to someone in single digits at this writing, welcome!
:
:
I didn't know AA Roads had a forum. (I have visited the site to look at pictures, but not recently). That's just what I need....:-)
Thanks for the welcome Penn. Although I'm relatively new here, I've been a member of the AARoads Forums since February 2009. It was because of the AARoads Forums that I found this forum at SkyscraperCity.
Old April 28th, 2010, 09:31 PM   #47
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19366

I'm also a mod on AAroads
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 10:01 PM   #48
Xusein

Likes (Received): 10380

California's stack interchanges are crazy...I think that the only place that can compete on that front is Texas.
Xusein no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 11:01 PM   #49
myosh_tino

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I'm also a mod on AAroads
You have the Texas 347 BGS as your avatar right? After joining here, I've noticed some other AARoads members have joined here (JN Winkler for one).
Old April 29th, 2010, 01:00 AM   #50
henry1394
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

http://www.cahighways.org/index.html
henry1394 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2010, 01:16 PM   #51
JeremyCastle

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
I briefly glanced at the above link, and it seems like the page is a remnant from 1996. :-) And it seems as if it has not been updated since 2004, if you look at the 'hosted info.'
JeremyCastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2010, 08:45 PM   #52
myosh_tino

Quote:
I briefly glanced at the above link, and it seems like the page is a remnant from 1996. :-) And it seems as if it has not been updated since 2004, if you look at the 'hosted info.'
And if you look to the left of the 'hosted' info, it says the site was last updated on April 29th, 2010. Daniel Faigin is the webmaster and he's continually updating the site about once every 3 months. Yeah the graphics look like they were made in the 90's (they probably are) but the information on the site is very well maintained and is full of information.
Old April 29th, 2010, 09:09 PM   #53
JeremyCastle

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosh_tino View Post
And if you look to the left of the 'hosted' info, it says the site was last updated on April 29th, 2010. Daniel Faigin is the webmaster and he's continually updating the site about once every 3 months. Yeah the graphics look like they were made in the 90's (they probably are) but the information on the site is very well maintained and is full of information.
Yeah, you're correct. Like I said, I only glanced briefly at it. :-)
JeremyCastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2010, 09:25 PM   #54
J N Winkler
Road enthusiast

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xusein View Post
California's stack interchanges are crazy...I think that the only place that can compete on that front is Texas.
Actually, it is California which has to try to catch up with Texas. California has 9 stacks, while Texas has at least 25.
J N Winkler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2010, 02:50 AM   #55
henry1394
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post
I-105 is at its ultimate east end. OTOH, a useful connection could be made by updating the I-5/605 interchange to allow free-flow connections in that direction. OTOH, I-5 in that area is a very narrow 6 lanes and would require $$$$ ROW acquisition to upgrade. The existing two ramps that extend off of the east end of I-105 are a low-powered carpool access to the local neighborhood.

Mike
well, they can pull a china and demolish buildings so to make it connect to I-5 LOL!

also they need to change SR-91 to an interstate.... like say I-910 ?
Old April 30th, 2010, 02:54 AM   #56
henry1394
BANNED

Quote:
Yeah, you're correct. Like I said, I only glanced briefly at it. :-)

i remember there is this web site that has pictures of all exits on every direction on every freeways in california. i don't know if it was the same website or not.... i forgot the address
Old April 30th, 2010, 03:04 AM   #57
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 867

Lol. Btw...people from SoCal NEVER refer to the freeways as I-whatever. It's always the 5, or the 101, or the 110. I think we are the only region that does that.
Old April 30th, 2010, 06:34 AM   #58
Feryuc
Proud Mexican-American

Here's what I think Cal Trans should do...
1. Extend the I-710 and SR-110 to the I-210/Sr-134 interchange
2. Extend the Sr-14 to Malibu ( although i think that's not possible...)
3. Love if they extend the Sr-58 to Paso Robles(...oh wait...)at least upgrade it to a highway and rename the whole route as the I-40 extension.
4. RENAME I-238...( probably some dumbass named it insetead of an SR) better if named Sr 61 extension...
Feryuc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2010, 09:09 PM   #59
myosh_tino

Quote:
i remember there is this web site that has pictures of all exits on every direction on every freeways in california. i don't know if it was the same website or not.... i forgot the address
It could have been at "California Highways @ AARoads" (http://www.aaroads.com/california/index.html). Their photographic coverage of California's highways is pretty extensive and covers most of the numbered routes within the state.
Old April 30th, 2010, 10:12 PM   #60
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup or man View Post
Lol. Btw...people from SoCal NEVER refer to the freeways as I-whatever. It's always the 5, or the 101, or the 110. I think we are the only region that does that.
I've heard the the-with-route-number thing in Canada as well. Also in the Buffalo area (may be Canadian influence there). Never in the Boston-Washington corridor. If you wan't to annoy a person who is simultaneously (a) a road geek, (b) a language geek, and (c) a fan of your TV show, have a character who supposedly grew up in Connecticut say "the 95"....
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote