daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 30th, 2010, 10:34 PM   #61
dl3000

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup or man View Post
Lol. Btw...people from SoCal NEVER refer to the freeways as I-whatever. It's always the 5, or the 101, or the 110. I think we are the only region that does that.
Ha, I got sooo much crap in Berkeley for saying the 80, the 24, the 101, etc.

Sponsored Links
Old April 30th, 2010, 11:33 PM   #62
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
I've heard the the-with-route-number thing in Canada as well. Also in the Buffalo area (may be Canadian influence there). Never in the Boston-Washington corridor. If you wan't to annoy a person who is simultaneously (a) a road geek, (b) a language geek, and (c) a fan of your TV show, have a character who supposedly grew up in Connecticut say "the 95"....
It's funny though, there is a difference between California nomenclature and that of Ontario and Quebec. In Ontario and Quebec you are driving along the 401, or the 400, or the 20, or whatever. Not the 401 Freeway, or the 400 Freeway, or the 20 Freeway. I know in some of FreewayBrent's Ontario video's he refers to the 407 Freeway. Sounds so alien to me, though interesting nonetheless.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 04:20 AM   #63
henry1394
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosh_tino View Post
It could have been at "California Highways @ AARoads" (http://www.aaroads.com/california/index.html). Their photographic coverage of California's highways is pretty extensive and covers most of the numbered routes within the state.
yes! that's the one. thank you
henry1394 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 01:10 PM   #64
JeremyCastle

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl3000 View Post
Ha, I got sooo much crap in Berkeley for saying the 80, the 24, the 101, etc.
Yeah, I think that people in Northern California say '101' or '580' rather than 'the 101' or 'the 580' like people in Southern California.

Also, in Southern California(mainly LA County) some people refer to freeways by their name rather than their number such as saying 'Long Beach Freeway' instead of 'the 710'. And depending on what part of the LA Metro area you are in, the same freeway might be referred to as two separate ones due to it having a different name. Such as 'the 10' which is referred to as 'the Santa Monica freeway' west of down town Los Angeles, and 'the San Bernardino freeway' east of down town Los Angeles.
JeremyCastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 07:46 AM   #65
dl3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyCastle View Post
Yeah, I think that people in Northern California say '101' or '580' rather than 'the 101' or 'the 580' like people in Southern California.

Also, in Southern California(mainly LA County) some people refer to freeways by their name rather than their number such as saying 'Long Beach Freeway' instead of 'the 710'. And depending on what part of the LA Metro area you are in, the same freeway might be referred to as two separate ones due to it having a different name. Such as 'the 10' which is referred to as 'the Santa Monica freeway' west of down town Los Angeles, and 'the San Bernardino freeway' east of down town Los Angeles.
Right, when you look at it, it makes sense though. The San Diego Freeway consists of both the 405 and 5 so the titles help give an idea of where the road goes. In San Diego, some freeways are just named after people but a couple are named after places.
Old May 6th, 2010, 12:41 AM   #66
JeremyCastle

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl3000 View Post
Right, when you look at it, it makes sense though. The San Diego Freeway consists of both the 405 and 5 so the titles help give an idea of where the road goes. In San Diego, some freeways are just named after people but a couple are named after places.

How does the San Diego Freeway consist of both the 405 and 5? The 405 is a 'spur' of the 5. The 5 is called the 'Golden State Freeway' in the metro LA county area, and the 'Santa Ana Freeway' in Orange County.
JeremyCastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 03:23 AM   #67
dl3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyCastle View Post
How does the San Diego Freeway consist of both the 405 and 5? The 405 is a 'spur' of the 5. The 5 is called the 'Golden State Freeway' in the metro LA county area, and the 'Santa Ana Freeway' in Orange County.
According to Google Maps which is consistent with other maps I've seen, heading north, the 5 is the San Diego Freeway until 405 splits and takes that title the rest of the way until rejoining with 5. In other words, the 5 is the San Diego freeway from the border up to the "El Toro Y" (where 405 breaks away).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Diego_Freeway

If you follow the 5 past the 405 it becomes the Santa Ana Freeway until the East LA Interchange where it becomes the Golden State Freeway like you previously said.