daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Transportation

Transportation Trains, planes and automobiles.

Old July 13th, 2012, 09:53 AM   #2381
joninbrisbane
The Delivery Guy

Likes (Received): 18

The full list:

http://www.afr.com/p/national/infras...tjuOjnaab2cOLP
joninbrisbane no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 15th, 2012, 04:44 AM   #2382
Aussie Bhoy

Likes (Received): 908

Some Brisbane rail related pictures from today

Aussie Bhoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2012, 11:30 AM   #2383
MelbourneCity

Likes (Received): 11

Mayne has massive redevelopment potential. Any plans to move the railyards to the suburbs and develop the land?
Old July 15th, 2012, 11:52 AM   #2384
aldonius

Likes (Received): 28

I can only ever recall seeing one plan to redevelop Mayne, in the 'Smart Cities' document. As it turns out there was a discussion about it on SSC here.

For my part, I wouldn't want anything changed there until CRR is completed.

Last edited by aldonius; July 15th, 2012 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Fixed SSC link (h/t fish.01)
aldonius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2012, 12:21 PM   #2385
Gazza2

Likes (Received): 59

Springfield line flyover at the Logan/Centenary interchange is going up:

Gazza2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2012, 01:16 PM   #2386
fish.01

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldonius View Post
I can only ever recall seeing one plan to redevelop Mayne, in the 'Smart Cities' document. As it turns out there was a discussion about it on SSC here.

For my part, I wouldn't want anything changed there until CRR is completed.
Your SSC link didn't work...fixed

I guess the one issue that comes up with re-developing the Mayne yards is flooding and how expensive mitigation might be.
fish.01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2012, 03:32 AM   #2387
opinions are my own

Likes (Received): 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish.01 View Post
I guess the one issue that comes up with re-developing the Mayne yards is flooding and how expensive mitigation might be.
i had the same concern as you, so i thought i'd check out nearmap to see how bad it is..... and it looks like the site wasn't impacted by flood at all. and if it was, it was only very very minor.

http://www.nearmap.com/?ll=-27.44054...k&nmd=20110114
38921111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2012, 03:52 AM   #2388
Milbur
no, not that one.

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish.01 View Post
Your SSC link didn't work...fixed

After the floods we have had recently, and the changes to planning regulations for flooding properties, I doubt BCC will let any development occur there.

(PS the site is subject to flash flooding and is designated an overland flow area).
Milbur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2012, 04:56 PM   #2389
fish.01

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38921111 View Post
i had the same concern as you, so i thought i'd check out nearmap to see how bad it is..... and it looks like the site wasn't impacted by flood at all. and if it was, it was only very very minor.

http://www.nearmap.com/?ll=-27.44054...k&nmd=20110114
It is touch and go but over on railbot after the suggestion flood maps showed it was spared someone who sounded in the know answered:

"January 16, 2010, 01:17:29 PM »

I beg to differ.

In the June 1967 and January 1974 floods, large parts of the then goods yard, carriage sheds and diesal areas were inundated.

Damage occurred to several Evans and SX sets and numerous diesals and DHs.

Following the intense flooding on the Friday night and early saturday, severe wash outs occurred on the main lines immediately south of breakfast creek.
The skeleton service from Shorncliffe to Darra, re-instated on the Sunday of that treacherous weekend saw trains travelling via the goods sidings and crossing back to the main lines (only 2 tracks in those days) at cross overs just south of the Albion platforms.

The creek still remains to this day, and much more development upstream.
I won't be rushing to buy a 'dream' home in this location."

(Source: http://railbotforum.org/mbs/index.php?topic=3275.0)
Old July 17th, 2012, 04:16 AM   #2390
opinions are my own

Likes (Received): 90

yes, but the 1974 flood was very different to the 2011 flood - for instance large parts of herston/stafford/ashgrove that flooded in 1974 did not flood so badly (or at all) in 2011.

it is very hard to determine flood risk - clearly the BCC's flood model did not accurately predict the 2011 flood levels. and clearly the risk to the mayne railyards is greater than the risk to mt coot-tha. but somewhere in the middle of that they may find a way to accommodate more intensive use of the railyards - just like they are along montague rd in west end, which was much more affected by flood than the railyards.
38921111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2012, 10:27 AM   #2391
Milbur
no, not that one.

Likes (Received): 6

Thats because in 74 flood waters came from within Brisbane as well as west of Brisbane. In 2011 there was not flood worthy rain within Brisbane, it was mostly the rain over Toowoomba and the dams that cased the flooding, which means tributaries like Enoggra Creek did not flood as badly as one might have thought. Having lived near Enoggra creek I can tell you it regularly floods when we get storms, and it would massively flood if Brisbane's inner north is hit by a massive rain event.

I think with all the space in Bowen Hills and the show grounds, it will be a long while yet before anybody starts to look at the rail yards for development.
Milbur no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2012, 02:04 AM   #2392
nathandavid88

Likes (Received): 2019

It looks like the Newman Govt is looking at finding savings in Public Transport. While the comments on the Brisbane Times article are overwhelmingly negative (services will be cut, granny won't be able to get her shopping, etc) it could be a good way to streamline transport – reducing duplication and simplifying routes. That's if they do it well of course...

Quote:
Mayor rejects union fears of $40m bus funding cut

Date
July 18, 2012 - 7:36AM
5 reading nowComments 15 Read later

Daniel Hurst
brisbanetimes.com.au state political reporter

Brisbane Lord Mayor Graham Quirk has dismissed as ‘‘fallacious’’ claims that $40 million in funding will be stripped from southeast Queensland bus services and up to 500 jobs put at risk.

The Transport Workers' Union claimed yesterday it had received reliable information that the Newman government was poised to cut funding for bus services, potentially resulting in hundreds of job losses.

The union said Brisbane City Council's Brisbane Transport arm would bear about half of the $40 million funding cut and the remainder would affect private operators.

However, Cr Quirk dismissed the reports as "fallacious" this morning.

‘‘I don’t believe there’s any threat at all," he told 612 ABC Brisbane.

‘‘We engage as part of the contract the bus drivers, as you know we do maintenance on the buses, the depots themselves, [and] the purchase or building of the buses on a joint-venture basis.

‘‘I think that is a fallacious remark by the TWU.’’

Requests for an interview with Transport Minister Scott Emerson were refused yesterday, but a spokesman for the minister disputed the $40 million figure, saying no target had been set.

However, he confirmed Mr Emerson was considering reviewing bus routes and services.

‘‘As part of a review of his entire portfolio, the minister is currently considering a proposal to review parts of the TransLink bus network to improve reliability, frequency and connectivity,’’ the spokesman said.

‘‘There has been no decision on whether this review will take place or saving or reinvestment targets.’’

Mr Emerson's spokesman said the government had last month rolled out a $10 million package of extra bus services tied to the opening of Brisbane's Northern Busway, delivering an extra 2000 services a week to the northern suburbs.

TransLink provides funding to transport operators across southeast Queensland to provide services under the Go Card and integrated ticketing system.

TransLink is responsible for collecting fare revenue and managing government transport funding, striking service agreements with individual operators which are paid to provide services.

Transport Workers' Union bus industry co-ordinator Bob Giddens told brisbanetimes.com.au yesterday he feared the impact of changes to bus routes.

“They won't be cutting the services that are running packed with workers to get to work. They will be cutting the services they perceive as not profitable and not essential,” Mr Giddens said.

“Services that may be running every hour that carry 10 people an hour; that may be cut back to run every two or three hours, or they might decide to cut it completely, so there's no bus service in the area and that would be very tragic and people wouldn't be able to get to the doctor or shopping.”

Mr Giddens said Mr Emerson should reinvest any savings in the sector, for example by fixing up bus stops that did not comply with legislation or boost services elsewhere.

Mr Emerson has previously stated the Newman government would be a “passenger-focused” administration.

Premier Campbell Newman promised in the election campaign to “revitalise” frontline services, but the government is currently in the process of looking for savings as it points to the financial position left by the former Labor government.

The TWU represents privately employed bus drivers in places such as the Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast, but does not represent Brisbane Transport employees.

Comment has been sought from Rail Tram and Bus Union state secretary Owen Doogan, whose body represents Brisbane City Council employees.

- with Marissa Calligeros

Read more: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/quee...#ixzz20vZjqNhZ
nathandavid88 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2012, 10:34 AM   #2393
fish.01

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38921111 View Post
yes, but the 1974 flood was very different to the 2011 flood - for instance large parts of herston/stafford/ashgrove that flooded in 1974 did not flood so badly (or at all) in 2011.

it is very hard to determine flood risk - clearly the BCC's flood model did not accurately predict the 2011 flood levels. and clearly the risk to the mayne railyards is greater than the risk to mt coot-tha. but somewhere in the middle of that they may find a way to accommodate more intensive use of the railyards - just like they are along montague rd in west end, which was much more affected by flood than the railyards.
Yes as Milbur said the western creeks didn't flood as much in 2011 as they are only tidal until around Newmarket and we didn't have huge Brisbane rain falling in the Ithaca/Enoggera catchments and colliding into the tidal end of the creek like in 74. Ithaca creek flooded far worse in a rain event a year to two before.
Old July 19th, 2012, 01:54 AM   #2394
Fyver

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathandavid88 View Post
it could be a good way to streamline transport – reducing duplication and simplifying routes. That's if they do it well of course...
It seems whom ever is leaking the info from translink doesn't think this way.. There's always an abundance of translink staff standing around at QCC on the foot bridge. The staff on the platforms I think do a great job, seems they don't always get on with drivers also, have seen some pretty good bust ups.
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed herein are not those of my employer, its subsidiaries, clients and partners, not necessarily mine, probably not necessary, and don't intentionally mean to kill the fun.
Fyver no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2012, 03:20 AM   #2395
Birkish Delight

Likes (Received): 96

QCC?
Birkish Delight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2012, 03:27 AM   #2396
nathandavid88

Cultural Centre.
Old July 19th, 2012, 04:39 AM   #2397
DAJAN

Likes (Received): 138

Quote:
*Conditions of use for Ekka travel ticket:

Tickets purchased from attended Queensland Rail ticket office will be undated. Customers will need to write in biro the date of travel on the ticket prior to travel.
Biro???? Now that's ticketing technology!

http://translink.com.au/tickets-and-fares/fares/ekka
DAJAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2012, 06:06 AM   #2398
nathandavid88

Shouldn't that be tickets sold from UNattended QR stations? Wouldn't the staff in the attended offices just write the date on it?

It's good that they're fixing the public transport ahead of this year's Ekka – getting home afterwards last year was terrible for a lot of people (I think I just hiked either up to RBWH or down to the Valley...can't remember which!) I think a cheap Daily ticket to get to and from the Ekka is a very good idea, especially for people who may not be regular travellers. And $6 return for adults is a very good price! It would cost me over $6.00 just to get in there (or $4.80 if I was to go on People's Day) using normal GoCard but I think the sticking point might be people not realising that they need to pre-purchase a ticket online.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 01:11 AM   #2399
nathandavid88

A bit of news, although it hasn't been added to the Translink site as yet, Realtime has been activated on Clarks Logan City buses this morning, or at least it had been on the 560 I caught this morning. Not a bad system, very accurate (a little too accurate, a couple of stops that have been moved due to road works were still shown). The screen on the bus works well, but the audio system that calls out the stops will wear out it's welcome very soon I suspect. While it's a good idea for the trains and on busway routes, for suburban routes where there is a bus stop very close together, hearing every single stop called out will get very old very quickly.

Can't find the GPS tracker on the Translink site anywhere yet though.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 09:26 AM   #2400
chuboy

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathandavid88 View Post
While it's a good idea for the trains and on busway routes, for suburban routes where there is a bus stop very close together, hearing every single stop called out will get very old very quickly.
I assume this DDA related for those of us who are blind - but you would think that a bus driver would make a special exception to remember a stop for a blind passenger...
chuboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
brisbane, busway, ferry, mandurahboyz, queensland, rail, trains, transport, underground